PDA

View Full Version : In your Own words Please describe a racist

olevetonahill
10/21/2008, 04:31 PM
I say every one is to some extent . No matter what race yer a Member of .
Me Im just a Hooman;)
So please with out gettin nasty , Tell us what it defines to you .

IB4OU2
10/21/2008, 04:33 PM
Some old SE Okla moonshiner that lives on a hill. ;)

85Sooner
10/21/2008, 04:43 PM
A racist is someone who believes that: a person of one race is inherently better that someone of another race.

Edmond Sooner
10/21/2008, 04:45 PM
Someone who disagrees with me.

Seriously, the word has taken on the same meaning as calling someone a "communist" during the Red Scares of the Cold War: as a way to shut down dissent, and brand people as untouchables.

olevetonahill
10/21/2008, 04:47 PM
Some old SE Okla moonshiner that lives on a hill. ;)

I disagree, I dont care who enjoys the OVJ . The More the Merrier.:cool:

CK Sooner
10/21/2008, 04:49 PM
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j138/greenova73/Racist_Garbage.jpg

CK Sooner
10/21/2008, 04:54 PM
One star thread, ****ing cowards.

olevetonahill
10/21/2008, 04:58 PM
One star thread, ****ing cowards.

I dont care about that .
I want an Honest discussion . Im really curious as to How People percieve Racism .

Viking Kitten
10/21/2008, 05:51 PM
xbwNSNLPIfw

olevetonahill
10/21/2008, 05:56 PM
I think VK hit a Home run here .;)

SicEmBaylor
10/21/2008, 06:29 PM
To me a racist is someone who hates or totally dismisses a person simply because of their color. There's really nothing more detestable than a racist.

I'm not pure as the freshly fallen snow though. I'm certainly prejudicial at times.

olevetonahill
10/21/2008, 06:29 PM
Is this an Untouchable subject for some ?

CK Sooner
10/21/2008, 06:31 PM
I'm not racist at all, I have some friends that are black.

I don't find black women attractive at all though and I don't know why.

olevetonahill
10/21/2008, 06:52 PM

Some of My best friends are
Human .;)

SicEmBaylor
10/21/2008, 06:55 PM

I graduated with this black girl in our class who was the only black person in my class to be there from 1st-12th grade (we had a couple of others move in and out). Anyway, she was a really sweet girl. We got along pretty well, but she would give me a hard time about my pro-Confederate view points. She was very good natured about it though, and we had some good discussions on the subject. She told me a week before graduation, "SicEm, I sure like you but I know if you had your chance you'd have me out in a field picking cotton." She was just kidding though.

Anyway, I've been accused of being a racist before and it's a horrible horrible accusation that shouldn't be thrown around lightly.

Okla-homey
10/21/2008, 07:33 PM
Okay, you asked.

I'm gonna go all etymological on ya. Strictly speaking, the term "racist" was coined to denote folks who believe that members of the various racial groups that make up the family of man have a defined level of mental and physical ability. Moreover, racists believe one or more races are demonstrably superior to others. Think eugenics as practiced by the Nazis or the beliefs held by slave owners in the ante-bellum South.

OTOH, a "bigot" is a person who dislikes persons of certain racial and/or ethnic groups, typically for no good reason. I say "no good reason" because it's generally irrational to lump an entire classification of humanity into the same boat.

Sometime over the last thirty years or so, the terms "racist" and "bigot" sort of blended and "bigot" dropped out of common speech. Now, anyone who dislikes folks of another race and/or ethnicity, or believes an entire race or ethnic group displays a certain set of characteristics and/or behaviors, or are inferior to other races or ethnicities, is deemed a "racist."

I just wish we could get past immutable characteristics like race and ethnicity and dialogue about destructive cultural norms and mores embraced by members of various ethnicities. The problem is, to do that, one is generally perceived as walking a tightrope between racism and bigotry, if not walking right into the swamp.

Oldnslo
10/21/2008, 09:00 PM
When does a Jew become a kike?

As soon as he leaves the room.

See, being part of a "hidden" minority, I've more than once had the joy of discovering someone's prejudice... against me. But they just didn't know it. Now, being part of this particular minority, I can assure you that I've met individuals who meet and/or exceed each stereotype you can imagine.

But, you know, if you're going to judge me based on a stereotype, I don't have too much use for you, either.

What would our conversations have been if McCain had picked Lieberman? Would you be asking if Joe could be compromised in foreign affairs to the middle east?

What's a racist?

We, humans in general, I think, fear what we don't understand. The more different someone is, the less we understand, and the more we fear. Unfortunately, as noted by Phil Collins and Genesis, "you kill what you fear".

If Martians were to suddenly land, please rest assured that you would no longer see humans in terms of skin or heritage. But since that doesn't seem about to happen... if you do see people in terms of skin or heritage...

[cue Jeff Foxworthy] you just might be a racist.

BudSooner
10/21/2008, 09:13 PM
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j138/greenova73/Racist_Garbage.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f51/Hallick5/thats_racist_animated.gif

Scott D
10/21/2008, 09:18 PM

See, being part of a "hidden" minority, I've more than once had the joy of discovering someone's prejudice... against me. But they just didn't know it. Now, being part of this particular minority, I can assure you that I've met individuals who meet and/or exceed each stereotype you can imagine.

But, you know, if you're going to judge me based on a stereotype, I don't have too much use for you, either.

What would our conversations have been if McCain had picked Lieberman? Would you be asking if Joe could be compromised in foreign affairs to the middle east?

What's a racist?

We, humans in general, I think, fear what we don't understand. The more different someone is, the less we understand, and the more we fear. Unfortunately, as noted by Phil Collins and Genesis, "you kill what you fear".

If Martians were to suddenly land, please rest assured that you would no longer see humans in terms of skin or heritage. But since that doesn't seem about to happen... if you do see people in terms of skin or heritage...

really, I just mock you for being a lawyer, I didn't even know you were Swedish ;)

olevetonahill
10/21/2008, 09:55 PM
really, I just mock you for being a lawyer, I didn't even know you were Swedish ;)

Is tellin lawyer jokes Racist ?:eek:

LosAngelesSooner
10/21/2008, 10:00 PM
I hate everyone equally because I'm smarter, better looking and have a more exciting life than you do.

Just talking to you is dragging me down.

:D

Turd_Ferguson
10/21/2008, 10:10 PM
I hate everyone equally because I'm smarter, better looking and have a more exciting life than you do.

:Dyou need to slow down big fella, I've seen your picture.

olevetonahill
10/21/2008, 10:15 PM

:D

Yup you are a Monument to Mankind .
In yer own mind :rolleyes:

olevetonahill
10/21/2008, 11:08 PM
If we don't get some intelligent conversation.
I will delete the thread .

SanJoaquinSooner
10/21/2008, 11:38 PM
prejudicial attitude, actions, or behavior based on race.

SicEmBaylor
10/21/2008, 11:44 PM

I tried!

olevetonahill
10/21/2008, 11:58 PM
prejudicial attitude, actions, or behavior based on race.

Ill go with that. Am I a racist ?

StoopTroup
10/22/2008, 12:00 AM
I don't see color.

http://www.iwantmedia.com/images/stephen_colbert.gif

olevetonahill
10/22/2008, 12:07 AM
I don't see color.

http://www.iwantmedia.com/images/stephen_colbert.gif

liar .:P
I tell jokes . But hell I tell the same joke and use :texan: s
I really dont consider myself as Racist to the extent that some or Most are.

StoopTroup
10/22/2008, 12:12 AM
OK...sometimes...I see white...

Probably a little NSFW

wsWVsFUljRc

olevetonahill
10/22/2008, 12:18 AM
That wuz Funny :D

StoopTroup
10/22/2008, 12:25 AM
This one is one of my favorites.

It has nothing to do with race...but it's good.

Definitely NSFW...language.

SfsE8mIWLBI&feature=related

olevetonahill
10/22/2008, 12:30 AM
This one is one of my favorites.

It has nothing to do with race...but it's good.

Definitely NSFW...language.

SfsE8mIWLBI&feature=related

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

pott_2
10/22/2008, 03:00 AM

Do you HATE this thread and all others like it?;)

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/22/2008, 03:54 AM
Proud Gonzo....nuff said and Doleo is a Brittist

Okla-homey
10/22/2008, 06:13 AM

What's a racist?

Cletus: He's got him a good lawyer.

Jim Bob: How do you know?

Cletus: He's a New York Jew. Everbody knows the best Jews is from New York;)

SteelClip49
10/22/2008, 08:20 AM
What if a white dude out runs a black dude....would he be a speed racist? Ok, that was lame.

Nowadays, everything involving blacks or whatever ethnicity seems to be racist, or whatever the dopehead reverends say about it. If Obama loses the election, will it be because...."well he lost because he was black?" That will happen....it's obvious.

I could come up with many directions on this but there is no need too. Frankly, though the topic is very good it is also getting very tiring overall.

Lott's Bandana
10/22/2008, 08:29 AM
I liked the part earlier about Martians landing.

That would certainly make us all planetists.

TUSooner
10/22/2008, 08:39 AM
We all have prejudices; it's kind-of a pre-historic instinctive survival thing based on experience and other perceptions taht may or may not be reliable. "Right thinking" people recognize that their prejudices are often wrong, and they try to overcome them. Racists (or bigots, with a nod to Homey) embrace their prejudices and act on them without regard to whether they are wrong.
To be prejudiced is to be human; to be racist is less than that.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/22/2008, 09:04 AM
The whole issue is such a grenade.

Look out! Don't touch that, it'll burn ya! It's stupid. It has gotten to the point where pure and simple honesty can even be pigeonholed as racism.

"I understand why they'd be pissed, but why would black folks have a riot that destroys their OWN TOWN just because some dip**** cops beat down this Rodney King guy? Aren't the cops the problem, not the korean grocery store owner?"

"RACIST! YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND THEIR PLIGHT BECAUSE YOU'RE WHITE."

"Gang violence in North Tulsa is sad. You'd think all those punks would realize the older folks are right. When they throw lead, the only folks that are catching it are other young black men that with half a lick of sense and some effort, could rise up and become something instead of a gangbanging piece of sh*t."

"RACIST. You don't understand the plight they have to go through on the streets/failure of schools/destruction of normal family hierarchy/insert problem here!"

"Why's that idiot showing off his underwear? Pull up your God damned pants, kid. Nobody here wants to see your underwear because you think it's cool to buy your britches ten mother-loving sizes to big."

"RACIST. He's practicing the freedom to express himself through his attire!"

"You know, I'd have hired that young man if I could've understood a damn word he said. I couldn't tell if he had marbles in his mouth, was trying to impersonate Mushmouth off of Fat Albert, or was just half-retarded."

"RACIST. You don't understand his culture and are judging him because of it! Don't make him conform to your 'white man's way'!"

In my opinion, none of the above are racist. Since when can I not look at the actions of a man or a group, find stupidity within it, and call it as such? And when such stupidities are consistent enough to become a stereotype, it's basic deductive reasoning to make the connection as a whole. Subject A dresses like a thug, talks like a retard, and is more interested in jostling his package than doing what it takes to hold a good job and pull himself up by the bootstraps. Therefore Subject A is a worthless punk. Subject B has greased back hair, a thousand dollar suit, a buttload of gold on his hands, and bad teeth. He talks quickly, is slick as a buttered hog, and wouldn't you know it, sells used cars. Therefore Subject B is an untrustworthy liar that will have your balls cut off before you even know your pants are down.

The minute the race of Subject A becomes the determination of the stereotype is the minute it becomes racist. But to make the connection to the stereotype because of the consistent characteristics found within is not. The minute you look at a thousand dollar suit and automatically assume the person is a piece of sh*t makes you a fool. Likewise with Subject A. In other words...

I can make a decision that Subject A is a worthless thug. Just because he's black doesn't make my decision racist. If I saw that exact same person in a police uniform or in a hospital wearing scrubs, speaking in a manner that can be understood (even with some culturally established accent), I wouldn't make the same connection. And that's where the red flags fly. Some folks WOULD consider that racist, even though the decision making process had little or nothing to do with the actual race of Subject A. But because the stereotype is normally associated with young black men, BINGO. The use of a stereotype (or the perception thereof) to stereotype me as a racist, when in all actuality, race wasn't a factor.

tbl
10/22/2008, 09:14 AM

Not speaking to you personally, but having friends that are of different races doesn't mean anything when it comes to actually being racist.

Half a Hundred
10/22/2008, 10:14 AM
I think a lot of what we call racism in this country is simply conflict between very different cultures. We have the ideal of being one united nation, however, the communities making up this great land often have very little apparently in common (though a lot more than we recognize, often). In many ways, hard racism is dead in this country, as very few people will simply discriminate because of skin color if they live a similar lifestyle. However, when cultural conflicts arise, it's easy to attribute it to simple racism, since the racial difference is much more apparent.

Most of this would be averted if we all truly could walk a mile in someone else's shoes. However, that would require listening, and considering someone else's opinions and outlooks, which would prevent us from hearing the sounds of our own voices, which very few people are willing to do.

It's also a problem that's most likely not going to go away until we somehow get rid of the impulse to create an ingroup and outgroup, with respect and cooperation for the ingroup and hostility toward the outgroup. In many ways Watchmen got it right; we aren't going to stop fighting with one another until an alien threat makes us realize our commonality.

leavingthezoo
10/22/2008, 10:25 AM
i think of racist as being overtly hateful of a race (either privately or publicly) to the degree that they are seen as less than human. Probably hateful speech and/or action toward and against said race are taken. Intentional belittlement. "The only good [insert race here] is a dead [insert race here.]"

Prejudice, on the other hand, is less overt. Someone might not go out of their way to belittle another race, but treatment is still not equal to those who do not evoke prejudice. Unintentional belittlement, often because people don't recognize their own prejudice. "I like so and so, and I'm not prejudiced, but a [insert race here] shouldn't marry a [insert race here.]"

I do think, though, that racism is dying. It won't ever be totally eradicated, but those generations where it was heavily accepted are dying out. Prejudice on the other hand, is here to stay, I'm afraid.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/22/2008, 10:32 AM
Unintentional belittlement, often because people don't recognize their own prejudice. "I like so and so, and I'm not prejudiced, but a [insert race here] shouldn't marry a [insert race here.]"

What about, "I don't want my daughter to marry because of the history of the culture, the stereotypical male of that culture (while a stereotype, is reinforced by the acts of many of said culture), and the potential outcome that could result"? Is that any different than "I don't want my daughter to marry [insert social stereotype here] because they're greasy, untrustworthy liars that put more importance on the thousand dollar suit and the gold than on the importance of family life"?

Or "I don't want my daughter to marry that [insert financial stereotype], they're dog poor because they're too stupid and too lazy to nail a quality job that'll support a family"?

The sad thing is, the old adage applies. [i]"If the shoe fits..."

Stoop Dawg
10/22/2008, 10:33 AM
I think a lot of what we call racism in this country is simply conflict between very different cultures. We have the ideal of being one united nation, however, the communities making up this great land often have very little apparently in common (though a lot more than we recognize, often). In many ways, hard racism is dead in this country, as very few people will simply discriminate because of skin color if they live a similar lifestyle. However, when cultural conflicts arise, it's easy to attribute it to simple racism, since the racial difference is much more apparent.

I'm glad you typed all that so I didn't have to. I agree that the biggest "race" problems today are primarily cultural.

Most of this would be averted if we all truly could walk a mile in someone else's shoes. However, that would require listening, and considering someone else's opinions and outlooks, which would prevent us from hearing the sounds of our own voices, which very few people are willing to do.

I'm not so sure I agree on this one. When two cultures collide, and neither is willing to change, they will simply remain in conflict. When people say "Can't we all just get along" they really mean "Can't you all just agree with me".

Beef
10/22/2008, 10:39 AM
I'm prejudiced against men at the workplace. I prefer to work with women. The better looking, the more likely I am to like them. I guess I'm more of a pig than anything.

Half a Hundred
10/22/2008, 10:41 AM
I'm not so sure I agree on this one. When two cultures collide, and neither is willing to change, they will simply remain in conflict. When people say "Can't we all just get along" they really mean "Can't you all just agree with me".

I think this is very true as well, and that's pretty much what I was saying. The ideal is that we all walk a mile in the other guy's shoes, the reality is that we like to congratulate ourselves for doing it every once in a while, when really, all we've done is looked at the shoes in a box at the Salvation Army

pergdaddy
10/22/2008, 10:56 AM
I think Homey is right. Racist and Bigot have merged over the years to mean the same thing in everyday speak. A racist is someone, today, that believes the stereotypes of certain races without ever having the experience of dealing with that race. Not only do they believe them, they use them in everyday life as a crutch.

I'm a 31 year old white male living in Ohio. I've been around blacks and asians, other than whites in this area. One of my best friends married a American girl of I believe Japanese origins. My wife's friend was married to a Phillipino guy. Both of them are wonderful people.

I believe that every race has the same setup, upper, middle and lower class (i'm not just referring to wealth, but also education, personality and ethics). For every idiot who wants to use the n word, theres just as much trash in all other races. Stereotyping one race because of one section of that race is in fact racist and it's also hypocritical.

I find it to be useful that before you judge someone, step back, block out your own surroundings and view yourself in that person's shoes. I think it helps to understand where people are coming from.

I also think that people who use racism as a crutch for why they don't get their way are just as guilty if not more for being racist. That excuse only exacerbates (sp?) the whole race situation.

These are my opinions, right or wrong, and I approve this message.

leavingthezoo
10/22/2008, 10:58 AM
What about, "I don't want my daughter to marry because of the history of the culture, the stereotypical male of that culture (while a stereotype, is reinforced by the acts of many of said culture), and the potential outcome that could result"? Is that any different than "I don't want my daughter to marry [insert social stereotype here] because they're greasy, untrustworthy liars that put more importance on the thousand dollar suit and the gold than on the importance of family life"?

Or "I don't want my daughter to marry that [insert financial stereotype], they're dog poor because they're too stupid and too lazy to nail a quality job that'll support a family"?

The sad thing is, the old adage applies. [i]"If the shoe fits..."

what about it? is it not still a prejudice?

btw, income isn't racial...

OKLA21FAN
10/22/2008, 11:01 AM
If we as a society allow the constant mixing of the races, then over a period of time, there will be no more races, but simply one race. And then where would we be? :pop:

leavingthezoo
10/22/2008, 11:02 AM
humans.

Scott D
10/22/2008, 11:05 AM
too many people all act as if prejudice = racist and bigot = racist.

as was said earlier in the thread racism is implied in believing that other races are inferior due to physical characteristics. prejudice is primarily a bias that can apply to a great deal of things including gender, location of birth, age, hair color, etc. A bigot would be one who practices one or both of the previous two descriptors.

I will admit that I found it amusing living in asian dominated areas how the shoe was on the proverbial other foot when caucasians were treated as a minority.

C&CDean
10/22/2008, 11:09 AM
Where everybody gets all ****ed up is that prejudice and racism are completely different things. COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

Everybody, and I mean everybody is prejudiced. Against something. If I see 4-5 black dudes on a corner late at night checking me out as I'm walking by I'm thinking "I'm fixin' to get gangstad here." If I see 4-5 white dudes on the same corner I think "WTF are the Mormons doing out this late?"

I have a pre-conceived notion - based on personal life experiences - that the black dudes in that situation are up to no good. For all I know they could be Mormons (they do let black folks be Mormons don't they?) pimping Bibles and the white dudes might be cold killers. But the odds are my instincts are correct - because in my 51 years of living, I've learned some lessons the hard way.

Prejudice/stereotyping is based in fact. Enough individuals of a certain race/creed/ethnicity/religion/etc. do certain things a certain way that it becomes the "standard" by which folks of different persuasions judge them. It's no right, but it's fair.

Racism is a whole other ballgame. A true racist is an ignorant and pathetic person. Hitler was a racist. Malcolm X was a racist.

Scott D
10/22/2008, 11:11 AM
Actually Malcolm X wasn't, but that's another story for another time.

C&CDean
10/22/2008, 11:15 AM

Maybe I got him mixed up with Jesse or Al or one of the other ones.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/22/2008, 11:17 AM
I'll simplify it.

Reverend Jeremiah Wright, Louis Farrakahn, David Duke, and the American Socialist White People's Party (Illinois Nazis and bane of the Blues Brothers) are racists.

Okla-homey
10/22/2008, 11:20 AM

Well, to be fair, until he racanted, he felt that white folks were devils. At least that's what he publicly stated. To his credit, after returning from his Haj, and worshipping with whites at Muslim holy places, he stated equally publicly he was wrong. Some beleive that was one of the reasons the NOI took him out.

Jerk
10/22/2008, 11:59 AM
I admit it, I'm a GSD Nazi. GSD's are superior to any other breed out there; not at any single job, but they are the only race who can do it all when it comes to various tasks. They are simply better than your dog.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/22/2008, 12:02 PM
I hate all races equally so I am not a racist

Jerk
10/22/2008, 12:04 PM
Oh, and contrary to Hollywood myth, GSD's do not hate black people. Mine doesn't. Neither does my neighbor's GSD. Maybe that doesn't count because his owner is black.

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/22/2008, 12:49 PM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/memberlist.php

There is a comprehensive list of Racist that I know...it is even alphabetized!!!

Tulsa_Fireman
10/22/2008, 01:04 PM
KILL WHITEY

C&CDean
10/22/2008, 01:05 PM
**** yeah!!

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/22/2008, 01:20 PM
I don't think we should kill Whitey...we should just make him harvest cotton and give him names like Kunta Kinta and if he doesn't answer to that...we whip the **** out of Whitey's pale ***

Sooner_Bob
10/22/2008, 01:40 PM
Racism is what you define it as IMO. We've all got prejudices whether we know it or not.

Scott D
10/22/2008, 02:33 PM
Well, to be fair, until he racanted, he felt that white folks were devils. At least that's what he publicly stated. To his credit, after returning from his Haj, and worshipping with whites at Muslim holy places, he stated equally publicly he was wrong. Some beleive that was one of the reasons the NOI took him out.

In his recanting he stated that the teachings he followed were full of falsehoods, and he understood that as a truth. There are a lot of schools in regards to his assassination. I will say that isn't the main reason that there is belief that the NOI put "a hit" out on him. That was more from the basis that within the hierarchy of the NOI he had become more popular with the congregation than Elijah Muhammad, so it was relatively easy for the already jealous "junior ministers" to spread lies to their leader about Malcolm. It was the base reason for his being excommunicated by Elijah Muhammad. Then when he formed his own church as a central base the NOI was losing membership to Malcolm's church.

Others believe that the Government had a hand in his assassination.

Lott's Bandana
10/22/2008, 05:31 PM
Oh, and contrary to Hollywood myth, GSD's do not hate black people. Mine doesn't. Neither does my neighbor's GSD. Maybe that doesn't count because his owner is black.

Ok Jerk, I hate your GSD 'cause I don't know what the hell it is...

Giant Standard Dachshund?

Frozen Sooner
10/22/2008, 05:33 PM
I think it's a German Shepherd. Don't know what the D stands for.

Frozen Sooner
10/22/2008, 05:37 PM
I don't actually like the word "racist" a whole lot because it promotes the flawed idea that there's more than one race of humans. I much prefer the word "bigot."

A bigot is someone who asserts either the inferiority of another on the basis of non-determinant standards.

AggieTool
10/23/2008, 12:24 AM
A racist is one of those guys that start threads about racism to hopefully justify their own racism.:D

Tulsa_Fireman
10/23/2008, 12:30 AM
NO TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION.

Honkies.

Okla-homey
10/23/2008, 07:25 PM
One last musing on race. So how have Asians pulled it off? Most originally came here with nothing and moved into ghettos across the Fruited Plain. Now? They are disproprotionately overrepresented among National Merit Scholars and on our college campii and disproportionately underrepresented in our prisons and among our homeless.

They were equally violently victimized by stifling bigotry and racism, but have managed to rise above it in less than three generations. How? If memory serves, its because culturally, they value education, are willing to work incredibly hard, single mothers are practically unheard of in their community, and they are willing to endure great sacrifice to ensure their children have opportunities.

That's the cultural difference I try to write about off and on. It's not about physiology or immutables like race, I assert its mostly just plain old cultural norms. They certainly don't have bigger brains than the rest of humanity.

Maybe instead of blaming The Man so much, while pining for some Messiah like BHO, the underprivileged classes should study the Asian experience in the Western Hemisphere.

Wu may have started with pigs and a laundry, but you can bet his grandkids went to college. Probably can't say that about too many other folks in Deadwood, South Dakota, or anywhere else for that matter.

olevetonahill
10/23/2008, 07:48 PM
One last musing on race. So how have Asians pulled it off? Most originally came here with nothing and moved into ghettos across the Fruited Plain. Now? They are disproprotionately overrepresented among National Merit Scholars and on our college campii and disproportionately underrepresented in our prisons and among our homeless.

They were equally violently victimized by stifling bigotry and racism, but have managed to rise above it in less than three generations. How? If memory serves, its because culturally, they value education, are willing to work incredibly hard, single mothers are practically unheard of in their community, and they are willing to endure great sacrifice to ensure their children have opportunities.

That's the cultural difference I try to write about off and on. It's not about physiology or immutables like race, I assert its mostly just plain old cultural norms. They certainly don't have bigger brains than the rest of humanity.

Maybe instead of blaming The Man so much, while pining for some Messiah like BHO, the underprivileged classes should study the Asian experience in the Western Hemisphere.

Wu may have started with pigs and a laundry, but you can bet his grandkids went to college. Probably can't say that about too many other folks in Deadwood, South Dakota, or anywhere else for that matter.

Well said Homester.
Some want it handed to em . Others are willing to work their *** off for it.

Frozen Sooner
10/23/2008, 07:51 PM

A couple of statements here:

1. Asian immigrants were willing.
2. Lumping all Asians together is a big mistake.

However, there is no doubt that the descendants of Chinese and Japanese (and to a lesser extent Korean and Vietnamese) immigrants to this country have acheived, on average, a greater level of academic and economic success than the descendants of slavery.

You're right-cultural norms likely had a great deal to do with this. In fact, that can be seen even among the Asian immigrants-Japanese families assimilated much faster than Chinese families did.

The question could be posed about whether these (or similar) cultural norms would be present among those of African descent had their families not been subject to systematic destruction, could it not?

Interesting (and somewhat relevant) story:

My great-grandfather was adamantly opposed to the Relocation Camps in WW2, mainly because growing up in Watsonville, CA he knew a lot of Chinese farmers and their families. However, apparently he saw no irony in muttering "Goddman screeching ni**er" every time a black entertainer was on TV. People are weird, man.

Collier11
10/23/2008, 08:22 PM
A racist is someone who believes that: a person of one race is inherently better that someone of another race.

That is descrimination

Being racist means having the ability to hold someone back from what they are striving for against their will because of their race

This is the way it was taught to me in my African American culture class by an African American professor, I cant say that I disagree

Oldnslo
10/23/2008, 08:46 PM
You have to be in some position of authority before you cqn be a racist?

Sorry. I disagree with your African American professor's African American culture class definition.

To the contrary, I think many disenfranchised and utterly powerless people are racist.