PDA

View Full Version : Who thinks Bob is gonna take the Chiefs job?

oumartin
10/21/2008, 12:57 PM
He cashed in his big payday at OU.

I know he bought some land to build a new house down in Norman but the more I watch his sideline demeanor and his interview demeanor I just dont know anymore.

Now, Herm Edwards should get run outta town after this season and we always hear about the guy up in KC being in love with Bob so what keeps Bob in Norman?

The Maestro
10/21/2008, 01:00 PM
What keeps Bob in Norman?

Well, repeating every time this comes up...he has as much NFL experience as I do. Never coached, played, assistant, water boyed...nothing.

His mentor, Steve Spurrier, basically crashed his career when he tried the NFL.

Bob ain't going anywhere.

JLEW1818
10/21/2008, 01:01 PM
CONSISTENTLY winning. Being the most popular person in the State of Oklahoma. The fact that pay in college is just as good as NFL, sometimes better.

NormanPride
Hamburgers taste like ketchup to me.

StoopTroup
I don't think he likes our fans sitting on their hands...

Since KC doesn't allow the fans to stand anymore...

He's not gonna take that one...

;)

MichiganSooner
10/21/2008, 01:04 PM
I don't. Bob ain't crazy.

Boomer.....
10/21/2008, 01:12 PM
Stirring the pot.

Penguin
10/21/2008, 01:19 PM
Who has successfully gone from good college head coach to good NFL head coach?

Dan Thompson
10/21/2008, 01:22 PM
What he said.

1890MilesToNorman
10/21/2008, 01:22 PM
Pete Carol sucked as an NFL coach, he turned things around in NE for the worse. Some guys are better suited for the college game, I think Bob is one of them.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/21/2008, 01:25 PM

Jimmy Johnson is the only one I can think of

BillyBall
10/21/2008, 01:27 PM

The King

oumartin
10/21/2008, 01:32 PM
hey, you know its gonna come up after the season.

I think if that job comes open he would be more inclined to leave this year than any other.

hink4769
10/21/2008, 01:33 PM
he really doesn't have to worry about being a failure in the pros if he wants to try it out. if he leaves, fails in the NFL, and comes back to college, he'll still get paid by some big school Nick Saban style.

hink4769
10/21/2008, 01:35 PM
i'm not sure he'll get an offer though, since he has zero NFL experience, and most pure college coaches have been NFL flops recently.

primetime43
10/21/2008, 01:36 PM
Yes the King won a superbowl but I wouldn't say he was a good NFL coach.

Why would Bob want to go to the NFL? Your loved one day then the next sent to the curb.

Blitzkrieg
10/21/2008, 01:39 PM
Mar6ty Schottemheier as GM and Bill Cower HC. That's the rumor.

Both have lived and coached in KC before. They know it has a rabid fan base if you produce.

BillyBall
10/21/2008, 01:43 PM
Yes the King won a superbowl but I wouldn't say he was a good NFL coach.

Why would Bob want to go to the NFL? Your loved one day then the next sent to the curb.

45-26 and a Super Bowl ring qualifies as "good" to me...

oumartin
10/21/2008, 01:44 PM
after watching the Chiefs in person this past Sunday I gotta say they are the worse team in the NFL I think. Chan Gailey sucks as an O.C. and Herm Edwards. Well he sucked in New York and he sucks in KC

Boomer_Sooner_sax
10/21/2008, 01:47 PM

I could have probably coached that team to that record...that was a stout Cowboys team in the 90s.

OUMallen
10/21/2008, 01:56 PM

I would say, given that team during that time period, we can only assume he was competent.

TripleOption14
10/21/2008, 02:14 PM
Who says the Chiefs would even want Stoops?? Am i the only one that thinks the luster is off of Stoops as far as an NFL job goes? Seems like they would go after someone already in the NFL. Just sayin...

stoopified
10/21/2008, 02:19 PM
nO WAY,NO HOW. Among the reasons he won't take the job-Erickson,Saban,Spurrier.All these coaches are/were very sucessfull college coaches who failed in the NFL.The failure of good friend Spurrier I would think has the most profound impact on Bob.I would NOT read anything into Bob's demeanor on the sidelines or in dealing with the press as indicators he is ready to leave.

Simply put,Bob is not crazy about losing OR dealing with the prees.Bob has a fiery,competitive nature which makes him less than tactful at times with the press.I have even heard,witnessed Bob being terse with fans.The tension seems to arise when questions arise from fans or press who question how he runs his team.Going to the NFL would in no way change Bob's less than entusiastic outlook of dealing with the press.If anything Bob would be under more intense prees scrutiny as Chiefs' coach.

Barrry Switzer is the ONLY OU coach I've ever known who actually enjoyed dealing with press.If it was up to Bob he would let an assistant coach or his administrative assistant deal with the media.

St. Louis Sooner
10/21/2008, 02:26 PM
i don't :pop:

Sooner04
10/21/2008, 02:29 PM
Don Coryell

TexOkie
10/21/2008, 02:29 PM
Seems to me that others failure to do it on the NFL level may be the reason he would try. He is a coach. Wouldn't success at the NFL level be the ultimate achievement for his profession?

BuckyB
10/21/2008, 02:34 PM
I say highly unlikely, especially with Bradford as a soph.

JLEW1818
10/21/2008, 02:37 PM
A more realistic question would be

" who thinks Pete Carroll is going to the 49ers"?

CK Sooner
10/21/2008, 02:40 PM

I think he goes if they want him.

soonervegas
10/21/2008, 02:48 PM
would we have the #1 draft pick?

PalmBeachSooner1
10/21/2008, 03:23 PM
He'd be a fool to take an NFL job. Most coaches last on avg like 3 years in the NFL.

starclassic tama
10/21/2008, 03:28 PM
another day another stupid thread on soonerfans

CK Sooner
10/21/2008, 03:29 PM
I'm going to suggest you stop posting in this thread.

Why!?

:D

KC//CRIMSON
10/21/2008, 03:31 PM
He cashed in his big payday at OU.

I know he bought some land to build a new house down in Norman but the more I watch his sideline demeanor and his interview demeanor I just dont know anymore.

Now, Herm Edwards should get run outta town after this season and we always hear about the guy up in KC being in love with Bob so what keeps Bob in Norman?

go back to sleep, good grief.

lloyd45
10/21/2008, 03:35 PM
Why would you want to coach in the NFL is you already have a great job at the college level?

Let's see I can go coach a bunch of guys who makes 10x what I make and won't ever give me the respect I deserve or I can make around the same money that I'd make in the NFL and get respect.

Yea that seems tough imo.

Collier11
10/21/2008, 03:36 PM

Both have lived and coached in KC before. They know it has a rabid fan base if you produce.

I have heard the same, I sure hope this happens. Peterson is so horrible as a GM and its time that we start making the playoffs again

SoonerStormchaser
10/21/2008, 03:39 PM

Jimmy Johnson...Dick Vermiel...the King...

oumartin
10/21/2008, 03:41 PM
go back to sleep, good grief.

I would but I had to go take a big ole' KC//Crimson

SoonerJack
10/21/2008, 03:44 PM
First of all, the Griefs would never offer Stoops the job because that would be a good decision. The Griefs do not make good decisions. They lead clinics on how to make bad decisions. Herm Edwards and Carl Peterson leads these clinics. Vacuum cleaner companies come to Arrowhead Stadium to learn the finer points of sucking directly from the Griefs.

JLEW1818
10/21/2008, 03:45 PM
I have heard the same, I sure hope this happens. Peterson is so horrible as a GM and its time that we start making the playoffs again

Yep Bill will be back soon.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/21/2008, 03:47 PM
First of all, the Griefs would never offer Stoops the job because that would be a good decision. The Griefs do not make good decisions. They lead clinics on how to make bad decisions. Herm Edwards and Carl Peterson leads these clinics. Vacuum cleaner companies come to Arrowhead Stadium to learn the finer points of sucking directly from the Griefs.

And I thought the Raider fans(which included myself) were a disgruntled group:D

boomersoonr7xchamps
10/21/2008, 04:00 PM
nO WAY,NO HOW. Among the reasons he won't take the job-Erickson,Saban,Spurrier.All these coaches are/were very sucessfull college coaches who failed in the NFL.The failure of good friend Spurrier I would think has the most profound impact on Bob.I would NOT read anything into Bob's demeanor on the sidelines or in dealing with the press as indicators he is ready to leave.

Simply put,Bob is not crazy about losing OR dealing with the prees.Bob has a fiery,competitive nature which makes him less than tactful at times with the press.I have even heard,witnessed Bob being terse with fans.The tension seems to arise when questions arise from fans or press who question how he runs his team.Going to the NFL would in no way change Bob's less than entusiastic outlook of dealing with the press.If anything Bob would be under more intense prees scrutiny as Chiefs' coach.

Barrry Switzer is the ONLY OU coach I've ever known who actually enjoyed dealing with press.If it was up to Bob he would let an assistant coach or his administrative assistant deal with the media.

Well Said. I believe that Bob won't go to the pros...mainly because of the experiences of every other coach mentioned on this board (Spurrier, Erickson, Carroll, etc). And, let's not forget about THE KING and his opinion on the matter:

Barry Switzer Quote:
"Let me tell you, if Bob Stoops took a pro job, more people would want the damn job he just left than the one he took."

boomersoonr7xchamps
10/21/2008, 04:04 PM

oohhh.. juicy! what a great time to make this move if you are Carroll (what with the NCAA hopefully cracking down on SUC)? Who else, besides me, would want to see Singletary spear Carroll?

PalmBeachSooner1
10/21/2008, 04:27 PM
another day another stupid thread on soonerfans

Boy are you an idiot.

bluesmagoo
10/21/2008, 04:32 PM
F***ing never.

olevetonahill
10/21/2008, 05:16 PM
Boy are you an idiot.

Hes Known for em . Thats why hes red .
And I didnt do it this time .:P

KC//CRIMSON
10/21/2008, 06:07 PM
I would but I had to go take a big ole' KC//Crimson

That's about as original as your avatar, hack.

oumartin
10/21/2008, 06:33 PM
That's about as original as your avatar, hack

and almost as old and tiring as your shtick!

KC//CRIMSON
10/21/2008, 06:43 PM
and almost as old and tiring as your shtick!

whatever you say, hack.

oumartin
10/21/2008, 06:51 PM
Hack, is that all you got? c'mon you're protected.. bring your A game.

Soonerfan88
10/21/2008, 07:05 PM

That began with a single caller to 810, then other fans decided it was a great idea :rolleyes: and started spreading it around. Absolutely no chance of that happening.

Carl Peterson is on the hottest of hot seats and he is the one that constantly seemed to be courting Bob for the job. Edwards probably gets at least one more year, maybe two, from the new GM before another coaching search is made. Even if Herm goes out with Carl, I don't see them trying to rejuvenate the team with a first-year NFL guy. The team will still be very young and you don't want any reason for the players to lack confidence in their head coach. The most likely change (other than Carl) at the end of the year will be Gunther fired and a new DC brought on board.

KC//CRIMSON
10/21/2008, 07:08 PM
Hack, is that all you got? c'mon you're protected.. bring your A game.

My A Game? You mean like this brilliant two star stellar thread?

What's next? Hey guys, what color of socks will Bob Stoops wear tomorrow?

out.

oumartin
10/21/2008, 07:10 PM
Hey guys, what color of socks will Bob Stoops wear tomorrow

I'm guessing white!

Thats five star material there, Hack!

bluedogok
10/21/2008, 08:53 PM
Tom Coughlin has done pretty well in the pros after starting in college.

Doesn't Stoops have something like a $6 Million annuity at the end of this season? He probably wouldn't be gone until after next season at the earliest.

85sooners
10/21/2008, 08:55 PM
/thread:rolleyes:

SbOrOiNaEnR
10/21/2008, 09:20 PM
Can we stop with this illusion that The King was a good NFL coach? Almost every one of those players has said that the 1995 Cowboys essentially coached themselves to that Super Bowl, and Switzer openly admits now that the only reason he succeeded was because he had Jimmy's players.

SbOrOiNaEnR
10/21/2008, 09:33 PM
whoops, double post

Curly Bill
10/21/2008, 09:36 PM
Can we stop with this illusion that The King was a good NFL coach? Almost every one of those players has said that the 1995 Cowboys essentially coached themselves to that Super Bowl, and Switzer openly admits now that the only reason he succeeded was because he had Jimmy's players.

I'll agree...

The King was a great college coach, but as an NFL coach...not so much.

CK Sooner
10/21/2008, 09:36 PM
I'll agree...

The King was a great college coach, but as an NFL coach...not so much.

Who are you?

:mad:

;)

AzianSooner
10/21/2008, 09:37 PM
If Bob take the NFL job before wining another NC for OU, that means he is running from the challenge. In other words, he scares and that is not the case according to what I hear or have heard about Mr. Stoops, OU.

RiddlerOK
10/22/2008, 01:54 PM
:pop:

EstablishedSooner1967
10/22/2008, 03:49 PM
He is in the process of building a big house out on some land... why go thought the trouble of that and not plan on staying until your kids get out of High School... JMO.
I know he has the money to walk away from a build but that does not make since.. let this one go. He has no interest in the NFL for a long time ask Spurrier and Switzer how it works.

Soonermagik
10/22/2008, 04:30 PM

I don't care whose players you use, if you lead a team to a superbowl victory you are a good NFL coach. Going to the superbowl is no easy task and just because you have talented players doesn't always = superbowl.

Collier11
10/22/2008, 05:55 PM
just look at the cowboys this yr, the coach does matter although less in the NFL than in College I think

The Remnant
10/22/2008, 08:49 PM
Barry Switzer = Legend