PDA

View Full Version : Big XII Division Tie-breakers

KingDavid
10/20/2008, 08:50 PM
We find ourselves in the decidedly awkward position of having to cheer for both OSU and Tech for the balance of the year. If either wins out (including a victory over Texas), but loses to us, I'm pretty sure we would represent the Big XII South in the Big XII championship, because it would come down to whoever has the lead in the BCS. If Texas loses to either OSU or Tech in the coming weeks, followed by our beating either team at the end of the season, then it's probable that we would vault past Texas in the polls.

(And you thought Texas would have to lose twice, didn't you? Come on, now, admit it.)

Here are the published rules:

Divisional tiebreakers:

The following procedure will determine the representative from each division in the event of a tie:

If two teams are tied, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative

If three or more teams are tied, steps 1 through 7 will be followed until a determination is made. If only two teams remain tied after any step, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative.

The records of the three teams will be compared against each other.
The records of the three teams will be compared within their division.
The records of the three teams will be compared against the next highest placed teams in their division in order of finish (fourth, fifth and sixth).
The records of the three teams will be compared against all common conference opponents.
The highest ranked team in the first Bowl Championship Series Poll following the completion of Big 12 regular season conference play shall be the representative.
The team with the best overall winning percentage [excluding exempted games] shall be the representative.
The representative will be chosen by draw.

sooner59
10/20/2008, 09:36 PM
I and a few others have made this point on this board, but yeah, you are definitely right. And I can see why many would still be surprised. On all accounts that I have seen in the national media, including T.V. and internet, all keep saying that we need texas to lose twice. Its irritating and uninformed. But I really don't care. It will be funny if it actually happens and they dumbfounded as to what happened for OU to be in the Big 12 CG. Its a long shot, but it could happen. And if it does....look out North team, because in case you didn't know, we are pretty good in Big 12 CG games.

JLEW1818
10/20/2008, 10:12 PM
Okay for all the people who think Oklahoma State will run the table until us.

YOU ARE CRAZY!!!!

If Oklahoma State beats @ Texas , @ Tech, @ Colorado.

THEY WILL BEAT US.

Not going to happen though, Tech has the best chance for a 3 way tie.

sooner59
10/21/2008, 07:41 AM
For the record, I have also been saying that. tech>osu. Aggy is not running that table. Slim chance for tech to, but their chances are better.

Statalyzer
10/21/2008, 11:49 AM
If Oklahoma State beats @ Texas , @ Tech, @ Colorado.

THEY WILL BEAT US.

@ Colorado is not that tough of a game. I agree that OSU beating both the Longhorns and the Red Raiders on the road is highly unlikely, but them doing that doesn't make the outcome of any future game so certain, especially since you guys just seem to have OSU's number as of late.

JLEW1818
10/21/2008, 11:55 AM
@ Colorado is not that tough of a game. I agree that OSU beating both the Longhorns and the Red Raiders on the road is highly unlikely, but them doing that doesn't make the outcome of any future game so certain, especially since you guys just seem to have OSU's number as of late.

Okay here is the thing people. Everybody is saying how wonderful Tech, and Oklahoma State and even Missouri are. When is the last time any of them have won a big 12 championship? That's right never! Teams like this don't finish, they don't.

And yes Playing @ Colorado will be a test, you know why? Because Oklahoma State has never been a proven team. That is why .

And heck Oklahoma State will probably give Texas trouble, just like they always do, and who knows they might even win. But they will screw it up later during the season, its how college football works.

Lott's Bandana
10/21/2008, 12:32 PM
The highest ranked team in the first Bowl Championship Series Poll following the completion of Big 12 regular season conference play shall be the representative.
[/LIST]

However, given equal 1-loss record between Whorns, Sooners and Tech or osu, I believe the whorns would still be the highest ranked team according to the BCS. One loss doesn't kill you like you might think...even to a meh team. (see suc)

I don't see any evidence the computers care when in the season you lose, not as much as the voters. And we all know who the coaches want.

JLEW1818
10/21/2008, 12:39 PM
However, given equal 1-loss record between Whorns, Sooners and Tech or osu, I believe the whorns would still be the highest ranked team according to the BCS. One loss doesn't kill you like you might think...even to a meh team. (see suc)

I don't see any evidence the computers care when in the season you lose, not as much as the voters. And we all know who the coaches want.

Ya but as far as the "computer percentage" of the polls, Usc is ranked 10th. I think Voters start to realize that.

Who you hate more, McCoy or Dirty Sanchez ?

MiccoMacey
10/21/2008, 12:54 PM

Depends on whom you lose to and when.

We only dropped to fourth. If Texas loses to OSU, they may or may not stay ahead of us. It kind of depends on who else loses that weekend (luckily for us the other top two teams lost that weekend also).

But if we then beat an undefeated OSU or Tech (which has to happen for this whole scenario to work), we'll jump Texas.

Especially if we win the conference championship.

JLEW1818
10/21/2008, 12:58 PM
We will know this weekend I think who will hopefully join us in the 3 way tie. According to Vegas both Tech and Ok State will lose.