PDA

View Full Version : And we thought Big 12 refs were bad....

sooner518
10/19/2008, 04:42 PM
From the USC-LSU game last night:
dcdWdBgUBqw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcdWdBgUBqw

I thought I knew how to imbed a youtube video but it appears I do not. Any suggestions? I have <youtube>URL</youtube> but the <> is replaced with []

lloyd45
10/19/2008, 04:51 PM
Mizzou needs to learn from him. Am i right?

ousooners182
10/19/2008, 05:00 PM
guys I think we found our new middle linebacker

Partial Qualifier
10/19/2008, 05:01 PM
I thought I knew how to imbed a youtube video but it appears I do not. Any suggestions? I have <youtube>URL</youtube> but the <> is replaced with []

it's the brackets just like you thought, but don't used the whole URL -- just the youtube video identifier: dcdWdBgUBqw

Partial Qualifier
10/19/2008, 05:03 PM
{youtube}dcdWdBgUBqw{/youtube}

replace {} with []

SoonerBorn
10/19/2008, 06:54 PM
Shoot... you got to wrap that guy up! Try to strip the ball! That was weak.

JLEW1818
10/19/2008, 07:13 PM

haha

StoopTroup
10/19/2008, 07:28 PM
That's messed up!

StoopTroup
10/19/2008, 07:37 PM
I had to make a youtube comment on that one. :D

2k2 c5
10/19/2008, 08:46 PM

Maybe if we just change our road jerseys to zebra stripes so we could get that kind of penetration.....

birddog
10/19/2008, 11:26 PM
has anyone heard anymore about this? that had to be intentional. he moved over and filled the running gap and threw a bow on the ball carrier! unbelievable.

Curly Bill
10/19/2008, 11:29 PM
Did that for real happen? If so that was messed up.

rainiersooner
10/20/2008, 12:49 AM
I forget when/where...but did anyone else notice that during one of KU's touchdowns - the ref blocked one of our guys (either Lewis or Carter)? He didn't take him out, but he stepped right in front of him so he couldn't make the tackle. Not that it matters...but this reminded me of that.....

badger
10/20/2008, 09:16 AM
To defend the defenseless ref, he was defenseless. Refs don't wear helmets or protective gear and he was likely looking to brace himself for a collision. Thus, a dude running at you with the ball is not going to stop. The ref was trying to not get hurt. Can you blame him?

:D Besides, we all saw :les: right before the half and know that the 4th and 1 call for TD was a little questionable but unable to be overturned. Perhaps this was a little makey uppie? ;)

NormanPride
10/20/2008, 09:30 AM
Holy **** that is bad! What's the news on this?

Crimson Kid
10/20/2008, 09:33 AM
I bet he had money riding on that game.

Widescreen
10/20/2008, 09:36 AM
To defend the defenseless ref, he was defenseless. Refs don't wear helmets or protective gear and he was likely looking to brace himself for a collision. Thus, a dude running at you with the ball is not going to stop. The ref was trying to not get hurt. Can you blame him?

:D Besides, we all saw :les: right before the half and know that the 4th and 1 call for TD was a little questionable but unable to be overturned. Perhaps this was a little makey uppie? ;)

I realize that video is in slow motion but he moved up directly into the RB's path and then gave him a forearm shiver. He could've simply stood there and turned sideways if he wanted to avoid contact. It probably wasn't intentional but it sure looks like it.

SoonerTank
10/20/2008, 09:39 AM
I realize that video is in slow motion but he moved up directly into the RB's path and then gave him a forearm shiver. He could've simply stood there and turned sideways if he wanted to avoid contact. It probably wasn't intentional but it sure looks like it.

The only thing he didn't do was wrap him up and do a "I got you!" dance!:D

badger
10/20/2008, 09:50 AM

Those guys are FAST, man (well, compared to old ref dudes). You never know which way those players are running and that ref was probably scared sheetless! If football players can get torn ACL's, broken bones, concussions and all sorts of injuries with helmets and pads on, what will happen to a defenseless ref?!

... and really, the QB could have bulldozed Mr. Ref over and Mr. Ref knows it, so why try to block a fully-protected QB with no protection yourself?

I know we hate LSU and :les: and all, but this is just a funny video highlight. I see no great injustice... probably picturing short little blond me out there in ref's shoes wondering if I would survive that hit or spend the rest of my days paralyzed, but regardless, I still see no foul play, just a funny clip.

birddog
10/20/2008, 10:13 AM
look again and watch how the ref has time to move into the runners path and then lean forward and lay into him. if it happened too fast, he'd just gotten flattened without reacting. his hat would have flown off, his legs would have kicked up in the air, and his head would have slammed into the grass.

this ref had time to lay into the runner AND he didn't even fall to the ground because he braced himself and had all of his weight going forward.

humblesooner
10/20/2008, 10:17 AM
Baj - Don't take this personal - I really enjoy your posts here.

But I gotta disagree. Unless that video is doctored, that is blatant.
He is standing to the RB's right and watches only the RB for several seconds. As the RB is about to run past him, he not only puts up an elbow (to protect himself??) but he also leans in to the RB.

To me that absolutely looks intentional. If I were SC, I would have this on every media outlet from sea to shining sea.

Hell, I just watched it again and when the ref comes at the RB, he actually lifts his foot of the ground as he is stretching toward the player to get more leverage.

Unbelievable.

birddog
10/20/2008, 10:19 AM
Baj - Don't take this personal - I really enjoy your posts here.

But I gotta disagree. Unless that video is doctored, that is blatant.
He is standing to the RB's right and watches only the RB for several seconds. As the RB is about to run past him, he not only puts up an elbow (to protect himself??) but he also leans in to the RB.

To me that absolutely looks intentional. If I were SC, I would have this on every media outlet from sea to shining sea.

Hell, I just watched it again and when the ref comes at the RB, he actually lifts his foot of the ground as he is stretching toward the player to get more leverage.

Unbelievable.

and then he stands over the player and taunts him!!! :D

badger
10/20/2008, 10:31 AM
Sorry, I know I'll be outnumbered on this one, but then again, I'm outnumbered here everyday on the guy-girl ratio ;)

As a little 5'2" girl, I am picturing hearing a bunch of 6"5 300 pounders blocking around me and just wanted to get out of harm's way and thinking that I'm about to get hit would cause a bit of... panic. Thus, I would do whatever's necessary to get out of that area and if a player is in my way, I will brace for the collision, because I surely can't hit the ground, as I have a ref job to do, but I still want to protect myself.

Did the ref know that this guy had the ball, or was he just another player to him? Remember, the view from the field is a lot different, being surrounded by guys taller and bigger than you.

Did the ref know which way Garcia was trying to go?

Was this even a key play in the game, or was it a 1st and 10 from the 50 yard line in the middle of the 3rd quarter or something?

So long as we're going to be in disagreement on opinion, let's be agreement on the facts - was this a key play? Did this ref try to screw SC earlier in the game? Who is this ref and what would his motivation be? How big is this ref - did he used to play college/pro ball?

sooners123
10/20/2008, 03:15 PM
Badger I am sorry but this is their profession, if they can't hack it they shouldn't be there. You can't possibly change the course of a game because you were afraid to get hurt. He should have been in a better position or attempted to move and at least give the QB a chance to avoid contact. The man TOOK GARCIA OUT. Ridiculous.

humblesooner
10/20/2008, 03:45 PM
Most of the time when you see an official and a player collide, you will end up seeing the official on his backside with his feet flying up in the air.
This guy watches the player coming, leans in to the player with the shoulder/forearm and comes off the ground going IN TO the player, not backing away.
Then, as birddog says, stood over him almost taunting him. I actually had that in my initial post, but took it out. As bizarre as the hit was, taunting him was even more unbelievable. But it was in my initial thoughts, too.

badger
10/20/2008, 03:53 PM
Badger I am sorry but this is their profession, if they can't hack it they shouldn't be there. You can't possibly change the course of a game because you were afraid to get hurt. He should have been in a better position or attempted to move and at least give the QB a chance to avoid contact. The man TOOK GARCIA OUT. Ridiculous.

<sigh> Ok, now you've done it. You have set me over the edge. Time to put you boys in place...

First off, the "hit" was done by Umpire Wilbur Hackett Jr. According to a profile search, this is what we know about him:

In 1966 Wilbur Hackett was All-Southern and All-State and also a Parade Magazine All-American. He played on the Crimson football team that year, and it was considered to be one of the best ever. Undefeated and untied during the regular season, they scored games over St. X, Flaget, and Trinity. They also won over Butler for the AAA State Championship. Wilbur Hackett was the star running back and line backer on defense. He was described as the finest all around player in Louisville. Wilbur then became a three year starter at linebacker at the University of Kentucky under two different coaches. In 1972, Wilbur left U of K, and married Brenda Phelps. He then went to work for the Criminal Justice Commission under Manual Hall of Famer, Ernie Allen. He styed with them until 1978, when he left to work for Sysco and Kentucky Fried Chicken. Then from 1986 until 1992 he was back working with the city again, with the Revenue Commission. Since 1992, he has been a supervior for Toyota Motor Corporation in Georgetown.

So as you can see, no ties to LSU or South Carolina.

Second, the timing: South Carolina scored a few plays later. Thus, if they were really trying to stop them from scoring, wouldn't they have called a highly questionable TD a... NOT touchdown on 4th and 1 with seconds left in the first half? If this ref was really into betting shenanigans, wouldn't he have on-field conferenced with refs to convince his fellow refs that it wasn't a touchdown?

So finally... this call had NO IMPACT on the game. None whatsoever. Two minutes left in the half, South Carolina scores a few plays later, end of first half. This wasn't a game deciding hit. This wasn't even that big of a hit. That quarterback bounced off that umpire like he hit a brick wall, wtf?

Those, gentlemen, are the facts: This guy has no ties to LSU or South Carolina. This play's outcome did not decide the game, as it was right before the end of the first half. This play did not effect this particular drive, which ended in a Cocky touchdown a few plays later.

Now... would any of you like to add a rebuttal, or can we accept these facts as facts and move onto opinions?

Ok, good.

Baj's opinion: South Carolina led the first half 17-10. This play was part of a touchdown drive that allowed the Cocks to take a first half lead. The first half was independent of the meltdown second half, which would have been the place to accuse ref sabotage, not the first half, where So. Carolina led.Thus, this was NOT sabotage, ref shenanigans or an attempt to tackle QB Garcia. It is just a funny video of ref panicking about getting sandwiched between guys twice his size, that's all.

mustangsooner
10/20/2008, 06:54 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Welcome-to-the-SEC-Stephen-Garcia-Signed-your?urn=ncaaf,115984

This is some funny stuff sorry if it has already been posted.:D

mustangsooner
10/20/2008, 06:58 PM
It has just found it. :eek:

OU-HSV
10/20/2008, 07:13 PM
Holy crap man, that's crazy. Ref must be from the cajun lands

JLEW1818
10/20/2008, 07:15 PM
Get that ****er out of the league

IronHorseSooner
10/20/2008, 07:15 PM
Holy crap man, that's crazy. Ref must be from the cajun lands

Even Randy "Peacock" Crystal would be proud of that.

Breadburner
10/20/2008, 07:16 PM
Sorry...But that looked intentional as hell....

JLEW1818
10/20/2008, 07:18 PM
Has he got interviewed yet?

sooner59
10/20/2008, 07:56 PM
I thought it was funny if you look at the comments below the video. Once guy keeps saying it was fake. It was on national tv, lol. Apparently that guy doesn't own a tv. Oh saw it on espn yesterday as well.

SoonerStormchaser
10/20/2008, 08:07 PM
That seriously looks intentional.

OU-HSV
10/20/2008, 08:09 PM
espn.com has the video on there and apparently Spurrier and the SEC agreed that the ref did nothing wrong! I don't get that at all, seemed pretty much on purpose to me considering he dropped his forearm and shoulder and leaned toward Garcia

Big Red Ron
10/20/2008, 08:22 PM
He needs to apply for a pac 10 job.

sooner59
10/20/2008, 08:40 PM
He could have just as easily stepped out of the way instead of throwing a shoulder into him (NFL-style tackling).

KingDavid
10/20/2008, 09:21 PM
I read somewhere that the ref was a LB in college (maybe even in the SEC?). I think it's kind of like a cornered wild animal. He was in a tough spot and instincts took over.

Absolutely hysterical angle on that footage - I'd not seen that one yet.

There's my vote for the the Pontiac game-changing performance.

OU-HSV
10/20/2008, 09:39 PM
Espn says he was a LB for Kentucky

85sooners
10/20/2008, 09:42 PM
LOL

VA Sooner
10/20/2008, 09:58 PM
Hilarious! Is anyone looking into this or interviewing the ref?

ousooners182
10/20/2008, 11:37 PM
the SEC said he was in the place he was supposed to be and they said that the shoulder was just a "reaction to defend himself" or something like that lol..

o and yes he played linebacker at kentucky

StoopTroup
10/21/2008, 12:36 AM
It is incredible that they are trying to sugar coat this...

And yes...it's been posted...it was still on the first page too.

Maybe we could merge it...

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122805

Johnny Utah
10/21/2008, 09:31 AM
and then he stands over the player and taunts him!!! :D

Well it was an SEC game after all!;)

badger
10/21/2008, 09:38 AM
:( I'm never going to get through to you people, am I? :(

Is it the whorn logo? Is the signature? I promise that both will be gone in 40 days. I even have a countdown meter. See? 40 days until it's December and we can forget that bet ever happened. I'm really not a whorn, just a dedicated fan to the side of the Cotton Bowl that didn't win this time around.

Stoop Dawg
10/21/2008, 10:05 AM

In the words of Kenny Rogers: "You got to know when to hold 'em, and know when to fold 'em".

There's no sense in raining on everyone else's parade. Say your peace and move along......

Statalyzer
10/21/2008, 11:46 AM
he SEC said he was in the place he was supposed to be

That doesn't make sense - usually the umpire stays between the tackles.

SoonerInKCMO
10/21/2008, 11:57 AM

Is it the whorn logo? Is the signature?

I think it's the sheer quantity of words in your posts.

And, the fact that, in this case, your interpretation of the events is wack. :P

badger
10/21/2008, 12:34 PM
I think it's the sheer quantity of words in your posts.

And, the fact that, in this case, your interpretation of the events is wack. :P

:O It's the whorn logo, I know. I'm just going to slink away from this slowly and not try to fight it. I got myself into this lousy avatar situation and I can get myself out.