PDA

View Full Version : The No Huddle In My Eyes...

44BluesExplosion
10/20/2008, 03:39 PM
This might be a dead horse and I apologize if that is the case, but I had an annoying voice beside me for the entire Kansas game and thought I would vent...

The voice... "Why in the hell do we run the no huddle if we use the entire damn play clock?"

For the past two years (at least), we've essentially called the plays at the line of scrimmage. It would work like this:

1. The play is sent in to the QB from the sidelines. In the huddle, the QB would communicate that play to the offense.

2. Once on the line of scrimmage, the QB would look to the sidelines (Josh) for an audible signal. If none was given, the snap was called. If one was given, the play was changed...

This year, we changed things up a bit. There is no huddle. Instead, the skill position players learned the signals just as the QB would. Once the call is made, Bradford gives the O-line direction through cadence and we are off to the races - Everyone is in the know.

But why are we using the entire "damn" play clock? We aren't in a hurry-up offense. We are in a no huddle. Essentially, that gives us the ability to quick snap at any given time and keeps the defense uncomfortable. However and at the same time, we aren't doing a quick snap on every play. We are making personnel changes, we are considering scheme, we are taking our time, etc...

So, the biggest differences between our no-huddle of this year and huddle of last year is simple:

1. All of our skill guys now know offensive signals
2. We can quick snap and hurry up if we want to, but we aren't obligated to

Anyway, sorry again if I'm bringing up something that is brought up too much as is... I posted for purely selfish reasons.

OUmillenium
10/20/2008, 03:44 PM
Thanks that helps a lot. I have not thought it through in those terms.

humblesooner
10/20/2008, 03:51 PM
I think you answered your own question. OU does not run the Hurry Up as their primary offense, they run the No Huddle. There is a difference.
Basically the No Huddle does not allow a defense to match up with your offense personnel-wise. If you line up in the No Huddle, the defense can not risk subbing in players on D. If they do, you quick snap and get at least a 5 yard penalty. If they do not sub, then you can call a play with hand signals, taking the same amount of time you would if you had huddled up.
The No Huddle helps the offense determine what formation the D is playing and make calls accordingly.
From the No Huddle, you can run a Hurry Up, but you don't have to.
I sort of feel like that the O has not been using enough of the clock. When we have 97 offensive plays, the opponent's D can start getting gassed, but so can the biggest guys on the field (O-line).

Sorry - I didn't read your original post thoroughly. I thought that annoying voice was inside your head, not beside you. You are dead on. :D

tommieharris91
10/20/2008, 04:09 PM
Ummm, in the OOC portion of our schedule, we were drawing a lot of 12 men on the field and offsides calls. I think we should have drawn at least one in the Kansas game, too.

BoulderSooner79
10/20/2008, 04:10 PM
The reason I published reason I saw that prompted the no huddle was the change to the 40 second clock rule. He didn't want the offense pressed on time to get lined up and get the ball snapped, so this saves the huddle/unhuddle time. The side effect is that you can stop the defense from doing their situation substitution if the offense hasn't substituted. That aspect made TCU very uncomfortable. Another aspect is the OC can see how the D is lined up before calling the play. But if I'm the DC, I would move players around while the play is being called to counter this.

CaliBornSoonerBred
10/20/2008, 04:17 PM
Another point of this is not only does it not allow personel changes for the D, but with the diverse players we have (murray, gresham, clapp, etc) we can change formations with the same players. My opinion of the main reason is it does not allow a defense to substitute players in if we line right up without any substitutions. If we sub, then the defense can sub but with our no huddle, it forces the defense to keep the same personel on the field so when we go from a power I to 4 wide with a back out of the gun, it forces mis matches with the defense. Hence, why we have been able to spring so many big plays. Hope this helps.