PDA

View Full Version : Hurry-Up Offense/No-Huddle

soonershane22
10/20/2008, 01:25 PM
Let me preface by saying that this is in no way a knock at the offense, just an honest question. The first few games I really liked our new offense and it seemed to be running on all cylinders but the last few games have killed me! They hurry up to the line and then spend the next 30 seconds staring over at the 3 coaches on the sidelines sending in signals. They were even doing this coming back in from time-outs. Then the next play, you guessed it, run up the middle. (Okay, not everytime, but you get the point.) Is there something that has changed with the offense that they suddenly can't get a play in or is it the players on the field? I know that this is one of the reasons that the game last week was so long. In the later part of the game I even heard several of the "boo-birds" coming out when Bradford would stand up and start staring at the sideline. It seems to really kill our momentum sometimes. Does anyone know why this is all of a sudden going on?

bri
10/20/2008, 01:29 PM
The problem is your supposition that we run a hurry-up full time. We don't.

Our offense is a no-huddle. All that means is that instead of huddling and calling a play, we line up as soon as a play is over and call the play there. You still have to get the play sent in, same as if you were in a huddle. We're not making this crap us as we go along, y'know.

OKLA21FAN
10/20/2008, 01:31 PM

Our offense is a no-huddle. All that means is that instead of huddling and calling a play, we line up as soon as a play is over and call the play there. You still have to get the play sent in, same as if you were in a huddle. We're not making this crap us as we go along, y'know.

and all this time, I just thought Sam was really good and quick at drawing plays up in the dirt!~

bri
10/20/2008, 01:40 PM
Well, it's not like you need a Pepperdine law degree to say "Okay, Juaquin, you run ten yards, turn out, and drop a pass." ;)

Theskipster
10/20/2008, 01:47 PM
In the second half I saw Demarco giving the coaches the 'hurry the **** up and get a play called' hand signal.

BudSooner
10/20/2008, 01:53 PM
In the second half I saw Demarco giving the coaches the 'hurry the **** up and get a play called' hand signal.

Damn, I thought he was giving the "I gotta take a deuce" hand signal. :D

KaleoHolley
10/20/2008, 02:05 PM
Yes, This is the new rave in college and high school football. Its not really a hurry-up its just a no-huddle. You huddle up in the formation, then call a play from it. I was wondering about the O-line who have to stay down in there stance for 30 seconds play after play, while the coaches figure out what play to run, I think this can wear a man down during the games.

Stoop Dawg
10/20/2008, 02:46 PM

It may not be "hurry-up", but the whole point is to speed up the offense.

“What it does is make sure that defenses have to watch what we do rather than us watching what they do,” said running back Mossis Madu. “We determine the outcome.”

This quote gives me the impression that we are trying to simply impose our offensive will on the other team rather than "take what they are giving". Obviously, standing at the line of scrimmage for 30 seconds before snapping the ball undermines this objective.

“I say it in practice all the time – ‘Find the ball, next play. Find the ball, next play,’” said offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson, a longtime proponent of no-huddle football who installed the system this spring. “Whether it’s good or bad, let’s get to the ball and get the next play going.”

Again, not necessarily "hurry-up", but certainly wanting to move the offense at a faster pace. This was happening with much greater frequency early in the year. The last two weeks, not so much.

Of course, Stoops seems to think it's not big deal:

“In the end, it’s about execution,” Stoops said. “You can go to the no-huddle all you want, but the bottom line is how you play when you snap the ball. I don’t know to what degree it changes anything other than giving you more plays.”

Personally, I liked it when they were snapping faster and it seemed like it was working. At least 2 of the scoring drives in the Texas game were very fast-paced. For some reason, they seem to be moving away from it. Instead of "imposing our will on the defense" it seems to be "line up fast and if you catch them off guard great, otherwise we'll call a different play".

It's not a big deal to me either way. I have to imagine the coaches have their reasons for doing it one way or another. But they definitely seem to be slowing things down the last 2 games.

CU Sooner
10/20/2008, 02:56 PM
It's not even if you catch them off guard. I have seen several times where the defense is looking to their sideline, their dl is not even down and Sam stands up to look at the sideline. If seems to me that if the other team isn't ready that is a perfect time to run a play.