PDA

View Full Version : Question for those who have been to K-State before

colleyvillesooner
10/20/2008, 10:59 AM
We have relatives staying in Junction City and driving in to the game. It's an early game and they are wondering what traffic is like getting to the stadium. It's about 20 mins away. What time should they leave to get there 1 hr before kickoff?

TIA

A-M
10/20/2008, 11:06 AM
I camp up by JC and can tell you that the traffic backs up really bad on game day. They will not be 20 minutes from the stadium Saturday, but at least an hour, maybe even an hour and half from the stadium on game day. Better be early then late to find the parking place and walk to the stadium.

SoonerWally
10/20/2008, 11:17 AM
We came in from the west in 2004 and were amazed how much gameday traffic was there. For an 11:30 kick you are looking at 8:45 or 9:00 at the latest. There are houses around the stadium that turn their yards into parking lots--probably your best bet to get their early and plan on tailgating for a while.

StoopTroup
10/20/2008, 11:20 AM
Look them in the eye but do not engage them.

Do not snicker or flip them the bird...

Do not stand outside the gate when they won't let you into the stadium screaming it's not fair...

Go back to your car...get a different hat and shirt and then procede to another gate...some will try to bait you...

DO NOT TAKE THE BAIT!

Remember...your a guest...no matter how bad they treat you...it's just their way...they can't help it.

If you pay to park...make sure you get a parking pass for said area. Do not park illegally.

Even though they leave trash in their parking lot...don't be swayed...throw yours away or simply put it in the trunk of your car until you can find a place where they aren't hanging around a dumpster...

Be cordial.

Be ware. :D

The following has been a Public Service announcement for visitors to Bill Snyder Stadium.

OUfan4life
10/20/2008, 11:26 AM
The traffic is horrible there on game day. I would advice them to leave VERY early.....

picasso
10/20/2008, 12:35 PM
we drove around town and came in from the north in '04. seemed to help.

Dio
10/20/2008, 12:41 PM
and take something to sit on so you don't get splinters or mad cow disease from the wooden seats.

StoopTroup
10/20/2008, 12:45 PM
Take your own food too...

I forgot that part.

badger
10/20/2008, 01:01 PM
KSU is by far, the worst (and one of the worst attended, methinks) stadiums in the Big 12. Here are the specs:

Named: Bill Snyder Family Stadium, after Synder and his family of quarterback beating thugs
Attendance: It's largest crowds rival Okie State's, hovering around 53 thou during their best years.
Splinter butts: No longer a problem? Since our last visit in 2004 (boo to wooden, chipping bleachers in the visitor area!), they have upgraded (in 2007) to aluminum in the endzone below the press box, as well as some chairbacks. How much you wanna bet they're purple :mad:
Homecoming: Yes, it is (why not choose an opponent you have a chance of beating?). Arrive early or don't arrive at all.

A list of all gameday policies in the stadium can be viewed here (http://www.kstatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=400&KEY=&ATCLID=35616), but here are the important ones:

Alcohol: NO... unless you have pocket shots :D

Bags: 18 X 16 X 9 - any K-Staters lurking here wanna say how lenient this policy is?

Water: 1-liter bottle of commercial-brand water that has not been opened. :les: No off-brand water! [hairGel]

Elevator access: Call 785-532-7920

Re-entry: Guests may exit Bill Snyder Family Stadium and return to their cars or tailgates by having their ticket electronically scanned “out” at any gate

Scalping: Appears to be disallowed on the stadium "KSU Sports Complex" area for sale, but not illegal to buy. Any Kansans want to clarify?

Disallowed crap:
* Alcoholic beverages or controlled substances
* Cans, glass, bottles, ice chests, coolers, picnic baskets and insulated beverage containers (see Containers and Coolers)
* Large bags (see Bags and Bag Search)
* Weapons and fireworks
* Food and/or beverages (see Beverages)
* Noisemakers
* Portable chairback seats exceeding 18" in width
* Large flags, flagpoles and items obstructing sightlines
* Large strollers
* Live animals (except Guide and Service Dogs)
* Resale of tickets (see Solicitation)
* Throwing of any objects
* Banners, placards and leaflets not pre-approved by the Athletics Department
* Standing in aisles and behind seating areas/aisles on concourse
* Umbrellas (see Umbrella Policy)

I was at the 2004 game and wow, there were a lot of empty seats that day - and most fans didn't show up until right before kickoff, except for the students, who filled their area early, but of course. :rolleyes:

Look out for the pregame Willy the Wildcat-head-but-not-body mascot skit. Why does our game against them always land on a presidential year? :mad:

SoonerStormchaser
10/20/2008, 03:39 PM
Bring armor for when their ****ty fans start throwing things on you...

Whet
10/20/2008, 04:22 PM
would underarmor work?

Whet
10/20/2008, 04:23 PM
I getting there around 3pm on Friday afternoon, so no crowds or traffic for us!

MichiganSooner
10/20/2008, 07:22 PM
I talked to a co-worker I who was a K-State grad who said to allow about 2 hours to get to the stadium area from Junction City.

sooner13f
10/20/2008, 09:13 PM
we drove around town and came in from the north in '04. seemed to help.

I was stationed there two year ago. This is a good suggestion. Going around the east side of Fort Riley and coming in from the north will save you a lot of time(Just stay off the highway). Traffic is bad but no worse than anywhere else. Have a good time. I will be in Kansas the day after the game:mad: . The army is keeping me from too many games over the last few years:( .

BoomerSoonerTexasscks
10/21/2008, 07:16 AM
My advice after a visit in 2000 is this,
1) Get there about 6 hours early
2) Drink beer in the church parking lot across the street (wait until you get to Kansas to buy the beer, you'll want the 6. and not the 3.2 junk here)
3) Hit on some unsuspecting chick until she convinces her dad to sell you their extra ticket
4) Then cheer your head off until an entire section of Cat fans tells you to sit down and shut up, then cheer some more

Thats my recipe for a great day

Flagstaffsooner
10/21/2008, 10:59 AM
Traffic will be slow due to alumni coming into town.
http://www.ken-mcneil.com/blog/uploaded_images/P1020552-785445.JPG

StoopTroup
10/23/2008, 01:19 PM
Also...

Be on the lookout for a stunned wildcat fan.

Be sure to get a picture too.

http://img.thefind.com/images/SwDbeef1j2kM0xiWCDMzJBYUJBal5jBklJQUWOnrJ-fn5KSmp2alFhWnVuol5-fqF5fkF6XqJyeWJObkp_v56vt6uxqaGxoYpullFaQzAAA*?m=1&g=2

http://images.footballfanatics.com/productImages/_169000/FF_169281_s.jpg

soonersweetie
10/23/2008, 02:58 PM

now, that's funny ;)

BoomerSoonerGoOU
10/23/2008, 08:17 PM

There are mountains in Kansas?

Boomerbrad
10/23/2008, 09:54 PM

Those are the Flint Hills of Kansas ;)

A-M
10/24/2008, 11:27 AM

Having lived in KS for almost 30 years and camping just a few miles west of the K-State campus, I can tell you that they really are not mountains, just very tall hills. ;)

badger
10/24/2008, 11:28 AM
Have fun guys. Remember to act polite and Sooner-like when the camera zooms by you.

Okie35
10/24/2008, 11:33 AM
We have relatives staying in Junction City and driving in to the game. It's an early game and they are wondering what traffic is like getting to the stadium. It's about 20 mins away. What time should they leave to get there 1 hr before kickoff?

TIA

my family lives in junction and i live in manhattan trust me the traffic is kind of crazy... but the game starts at 11:30 they could leave at like 9:45 and make it there before kickoff no problem...

although im sure the ? was answered already... i was supposed to go to the game but i dont feel like standing out in the cold to see a massacre when i can just watch it... plus its homecoming and i know how some ksu fans can get when ksu loses although its expected haha

SoonerAtKU
10/24/2008, 11:42 AM
I thought this was going to be a thread asking where to get a tetanus booster shot or how to control your gag reflex upon first smelling a metric ton of cow ****.

I can't help with traffic.