PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Heisman watch...

deweydw
10/20/2008, 09:25 AM
... has Sammy and Colt at the top.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/heisman/index

By Adam Rittenberg, ESPN.com
Editor's note: Each week, ESPN.com asks one of its Heisman Watch voters to explain his/her picks. You can register your vote at 2008 Vote Heisman.

The Heisman Watch can be fickle and unforgiving. Last week, Chase Daniel topped my list. Now he's nowhere to be found. A different Big 12 quarterback (Colt McCoy) is the flavor of the hour. The good news is Daniel has a chance to recharge his candidacy Saturday in Austin by beating Texas and outshining McCoy. Midway through another wild season, here's how I see the Heisman race shaking out:

1. Sam Bradford -- Week to week, he's consistently impressive and looks like the most NFL-ready quarterback out there. The loss to Texas stings, but Bradford still ranks second nationally in pass efficiency (201.2) and is tied for second in touchdown passes (23). His 387 passing yards Saturday marked the most ever for an Oklahoma quarterback against the Longhorns.

2. Colt McCoy -- Many people have McCoy on their top line after the last two weeks, and he certainly helped his cause by beating the nation's No. 1 team. McCoy doesn't have superstar targets like his Big 12 colleagues, but his completion percentage is mind-boggling (79.4) and he still stretches the field (11.9 yards per completion) without making mistakes.

3. Graham Harrell -- The jury is still out on Texas Tech, but Harrell gets it done every time he steps on the field. He had another efficient performance (20-for-25 passing, 2 TDs, rush TD) against Nebraska. Harrell ranks second nationally in total offense (384.5 ypg), and his ability to avoid mistakes in an all-pass offense -- three interceptions in 262 attempts -- can't be ignored.

4. Tim Tebow -- I stayed loyal to the defending Heisman winner even after the Ole Miss disaster, and he made me look smart this weekend. Tebow remains one of the nation's most dangerous players, and he finally has some healthy help around him. He lacks the video-game type stats of the Big 12 quarterbacks, but he'll stay in the mix with more big wins.

5. Javon Ringer -- College football's iron man turned in another gritty performance against Northwestern, eclipsing 100 rushing yards for the fifth time in seven games. Ringer's durability and knack for finding the end zone is undeniable, but his yards-per-carry average has dipped (4.5 ypc). A huge effort Saturday against Ohio State would certainly help his cause.
ESPN Experts Poll
Each week, ESPN.com's panel of experts casts its votes for the top Heisman candidates. The panel consists of analysts, former players, former coaches and ESPN.com's college football staff.

Votes: 1st place = 5 points, 2nd place = 4, 3rd place = 3, 4th place = 2, 5th place = 1.

Name Position School Year 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th Total
Colt McCoy QB Texas Jr. 9 4 1 0 0 64
Sam Bradford QB Oklahoma So. 5 7 2 1 0 61
Chase Daniel QB Missouri Sr. 0 1 6 2 1 27
Javon Ringer RB Michigan State Sr. 0 1 2 4 3 21
Graham Harrell QB Texas Tech Sr. 0 0 3 6 0 21
Max Hall QB BYU Jr. 0 2 0 0 5 13
Jeremy Maclin WR Missouri So. 1 0 0 0 0 5
Tim Tebow QB Florida Jr. 0 0 0 2 1 5
Percy Harvin RB/WR Florida Jr. 0 0 1 0 0 3
Michael Crabtree WR Texas Tech So. 0 0 0 0 2 2
Donald Brown RB UConn Jr. 0 0 0 0 2 2
Daryll Clark QB Penn State Jr. 0 0 0 0 1 1

CK Sooner
10/20/2008, 09:26 AM
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c201/tannerholmes/samstrikesaposekq1-1-2-1-1-1.jpg

stoopified
10/20/2008, 09:40 AM
Nice article but untimely as Ringer has already competed vs. TOSU and was limited to 67 yards on 16 carries,Bradford has bumped up his TD passing total to 26,and Harrell threw 2 picks against lowly aTm.