PDA

View Full Version : Why would he ? Bradford

JLEW1818
10/19/2008, 10:36 PM
Might make some of you guys nervous, but I've been doing a lot of reading about this.

Why would Sam Bradford come back to school next year? Assuming his numbers keep staying this good?

He would only have 1 more year of school left, since he is a Junior in the classroom?

A lot of boards have him as the TOP Pick and Top Quarterback?

Any thoughts ?

I don't see how he can get that much better as a college player?

JLEW1818
10/19/2008, 10:39 PM
I know some of you guys don't even want to think about it, but people ask me all the time if he will enter, just want to hear ya'lls opinions, please ...

Curly Bill
10/19/2008, 10:39 PM
Might make some of you guys nervous, but I've been doing a lot of reading about this.

Why would Sam Bradford come back to school next year? Assuming his numbers keep staying this good?

He would only have 1 more year of school left, since he is a Junior in the classroom?

A lot of boards have him as the TOP Pick and Top Quarterback?

Any thoughts ?

I don't see how he can get that much better as a college player?

If this is true, and I haven't looked at any of those myself, then he'd be smart to bail.

JLEW1818
10/19/2008, 10:42 PM
Just look at Stafford and Tebow, they are not even comparable to Sam Bradford, on a NFL stand point.

Who are the "Senior" quarterbacks ????? There is like none.

85sooners
10/19/2008, 10:46 PM
:gary:

colleyvillesooner
10/19/2008, 10:59 PM
Yep, the only thing that scares me is this is the weakest QB class in a while.

E-Town
10/19/2008, 11:10 PM
Was Utah the school not too long ago with the top pick for football as well as basketball? Do you think the Sooners would have the top picks this time?

olevetonahill
10/19/2008, 11:14 PM
Sam Has 2 More years Left , Unless the Oline really succs Hes back for 1 more at least .
I see Him Behind OUs Center Next year at least .

JLEW1818
10/19/2008, 11:16 PM
That is possible

Andrew Bogut and Alex Smith

Bradford and Griffin are top picks on some boards

lloyd45
10/19/2008, 11:57 PM
He has nothing left to learn/prove, he'd almost be foolish not to leave. The kid is legit.

JLEW1818
10/20/2008, 12:00 AM
That is what I think and it makes me nervous. Who knows Sammy might want to be a pro golfer instead.

Leroy Lizard
10/20/2008, 12:03 AM
Unlike RBs, QBs could always use more prep time before going pro. And the risk of injury is not as great. So I can see Bradford sticking around.

Also, I am not sure how serious he is about academics. That could be a factor.

JLEW1818
10/20/2008, 12:05 AM
Unlike RBs, QBs could always use more prep time before going pro. And the risk of injury is not as great. So I can see Bradford sticking around.

Also, I am not sure how serious he is about academics. That could be a factor.

He has the highest GPA on the team, so I hear.

Sharp kid, just like Nic Harris

JLEW1818
10/20/2008, 12:22 AM
Who was the last Redshirt Sophomore Quarterback to enter the draft?

Mike Vick ???

Lott's Bandana
10/20/2008, 12:48 AM
Sam has stated he recognizes the physical and intellectual development he has made in the last year. He also sees how well his texas counterpart has done this year after a less than spectacular sophomore outing. He is smart enough to remember, as hard as it is for us the fans to do, that he is a "kid" and another year will show more dramatic improvement on what has become very quickly, the prototypical surgical field general. Bigger, stronger, better...

I'm thinking he stays.

JLEW1818
10/20/2008, 01:04 AM
I hope he stays......... 2 more years !!!!

tommieharris91
10/20/2008, 02:06 AM
He has the highest GPA on the team, so I hear.

I''m pretty sure he's still a Finance major. His parents are in good financial standing, too.

Leroy Lizard
10/20/2008, 02:59 AM
Sharp kid, just like Nic Harris

But Nic Harris is not even a part of this conversation. So why mention... oh, I see...

hobbes2702
10/20/2008, 03:36 AM
The QB class this year is awful. The top senior QB right now appears to this kid named Rhett Bomar from Sam Houston St. Never heard of him. And will the losses yall have on OLine next year it is very possible that Sam could leave. The top Junior QBs are Stafford and Tebow and Tebow is starting to show that he is a system QB and Stafford has never proven to be an elite QB in college so who knows. Who would take over for him if he were to leave. Halzle is a senior and I thought Nichols transferred.

adoniijahsooner
10/20/2008, 04:06 AM
The QB class this year is awful. The top senior QB right now appears to this kid named Rhett Bomar from Sam Houston St. Never heard of him. And will the losses yall have on OLine next year it is very possible that Sam could leave. The top Junior QBs are Stafford and Tebow and Tebow is starting to show that he is a system QB and Stafford has never proven to be an elite QB in college so who knows. Who would take over for him if he were to leave. Halzle is a senior and I thought Nichols transferred.

landry jones. o-line won't be a big deal since many of the second and third teamers are getting alot of playing experience this year.

OU_Sooners75
10/20/2008, 04:15 AM
He has nothing left to learn/prove, he'd almost be foolish not to leave. The kid is legit.

If you think he has nothing else to prove, then you are naive.

His entire starting career he has been blessed with top notch WR and a top notch OLine that protects him well.

One thing he needs to learn is how to call his own plays from the line. Next year, if he stays, and I think he does, he would be the coach of the Offense on the field. He would have more control, such as the audibles to call and the like.

If he leaves We may has be prepared for a very bad season in 2009. We not only will lose him, but we will lose all but 1 OLineman, the top 2 WRs not to mention a total of 3 WRs this season, Our Top TE (I think Gresham is gone after this season).

I wouldn't blame him for leaving, but the kid has Sooner flowing through his blood. I believe he wants to leave, not only when with him on top, but the Sooners as well. I think he stays at least one more season after this year.

AlbqSooner
10/20/2008, 06:35 AM
The recent experience of our early bailers of late might give him pause.

Breadburner
10/20/2008, 08:01 AM
Qb's don't leave early......

stoopified
10/20/2008, 09:31 AM
Personally I don't think Bradford leaves early because 1)His family doesn't need the money,2)His family understands how important an education is because football is a fleeting thing.

Additionally while we do lose a lot of talent on the O-line,the cupboard is far from bare.Trent Williams who is a starter and Brian Simmons who has been the top reserve for the last two years(considered by coaches as a starter) both return as well as our backup center(Hannan?),Cory Brandon,and Alex Williams who are all lettering this year.If the coaches feel we need an infulx of talent we could sign juco linemen and currently Brandon Walker,Phil Loadholt who came in as jucos are starters.I don't see o-line as a major issue in deciding if Bradford leaves.

ousooners182
10/20/2008, 09:48 AM
Personally I don't think Bradford leaves early because 1)His family doesn't need the money,2)His family understands how important an education is because football is a fleeting thing.

Additionally while we do lose a lot of talent on the O-line,the cupboard is far from bare.Trent Williams who is a starter and Brian Simmons who has been the top reserve for the last two years(considered by coaches as a starter) both return as well as our backup center(Hannan?),Cory Brandon,and Alex Williams who are all lettering this year.If the coaches feel we need an infulx of talent we could sign juco linemen and currently Brandon Walker,Phil Loadholt who came in as jucos are starters.I don't see o-line as a major issue in deciding if Bradford leaves.

exactly what he said.

he seems to have on thing on his mind while at oklahoma..and that is winning a championship.

i think he will do whatever it takes..no way he leaves after this season.

maybe next

ousooners182
10/20/2008, 09:49 AM
and dont forget jarvis jones on the line as well coaches have been saying that hes been doing really well

A-M
10/20/2008, 10:05 AM
exactly what he said.

he seems to have on thing on his mind while at oklahoma..and that is winning a championship.

i think he will do whatever it takes..no way he leaves after this season.

maybe next

As level headed as he is, I don't see him leaving after this year and if I were a betting person, I would say that he doesn't leave after next year. His education and winning a championship as a sooner is extremely important to him and his family does not need the money. He is only going to get better and with that, comes more money when he plays on Sunday.

Lott's Bandana
10/20/2008, 10:20 AM
If he stays 4 years, and stays healty, imagine what the record books will look like...OU, BigXII, NCAA.

StoopTroup
10/20/2008, 10:31 AM
Nobody can really know exactly what is going on in Sam's head but I have to agree with OU Sooners 75 - post 21.

Sam needs to make his own plays. As long as Josh is there to teach him something...he'll stay. Josh is a perfect example for Sam. Josh played until he was out of eligibility and was drafted. He got hurt. It was over.

Yeah...you can go on to the Pros...

You can also stay and load the OU Record Books with Stats and go down as The Greatest QB in School History.

Growing up in Oklahoma...I believe that means something to many of us...

Does it mean something to Sam?

Time will tell....I'm betting it does.

BudSooner
10/20/2008, 11:15 AM
On a side note, some boards have Maclin going to Tampa Bay...would be a nice pick for them with aging WR's.
And Duke going to the Steelers..yeah baby!!!!

Chicago Bears: Juaquin Iglesias, WR, Oklahoma

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
10/20/2008, 11:26 AM
What about McCoy leaving after this year? He's better than the rest, also.

adoniijahsooner
10/20/2008, 11:40 AM
Everyone keeps saying that we lose our recievers next year; remember against baylor when sam played with the second teamers and still drove us down the field with surgical percision? He was throwing passes to caleb, tennel, Owens, and Miller, so a full spring with those guys and broyles will not make a difference. The line will have way more experience than it had back in 05. I predict a very good year next year with no drop off. Demarco Murray, Madu, Brown, Broyles, Clapp, Eldridge, and gresham who said that he was coming back, amd this offense will be clicking on all cyclinders.

BudSooner
10/20/2008, 11:44 AM
Colt said on Jim Rome last week that he is staying another year.

Scott D
10/20/2008, 12:01 PM
Where would you like to start? Ryan Leaf? the current issues with Vincent Young? The status of Michael Vick's career? Not saying there is a lot in common with Sam Bradford and those 3 quarterbacks. However, leaving early is not conducive to being a pro quarterback in most cases. Leaving after next season would be something I'd consider more likely than after this year. Because he'd be the equivalent of a senior that played 3 years. Even then, I think it unlikely.

hink4769
10/20/2008, 12:12 PM
I think he would be foolish to not at least consider leaving. I'm guessing he would be the top QB on the board, which probably puts him in the top 5 overall. He may like to stay another year because of the reasons that people have listed, but there is an ungodly amount of money on the table for him if he leaves. There's also alot of uncertainty associated with staying. What if he gets hurt? What if he comes back and has a subpar season? Matt Leinart came back and dropped from probably #1 to #8 the next year. Brady Quinn came back and dropped alot farther than that.

OUfan4life
10/20/2008, 12:22 PM
I'm sure Sam will make the most educated and correct choice for himself. He seems to be a smart kid. Sometimes MONEY talks though :)

meoveryouxinfinity
10/20/2008, 12:28 PM

I'll go ahead and bet my life's savings on this one. There is NO way Sam leaves without a degree. He's not a dumb jock. He wants to eventually go to law school.

CK Sooner
10/20/2008, 12:30 PM
I'll go ahead and bet my life's savings on this one. There is NO way Sam leaves without a degree. He's not a dumb jock. He wants to eventually go to law school.

I wouldn't bet money on it, but I think he stay's.

meoveryouxinfinity
10/20/2008, 12:31 PM
I think he would be foolish to not at least consider leaving. I'm guessing he would be the top QB on the board, which probably puts him in the top 5 overall. He may like to stay another year because of the reasons that people have listed, but there is an ungodly amount of money on the table for him if he leaves. There's also alot of uncertainty associated with staying. What if he gets hurt? What if he comes back and has a subpar season? Matt Leinart came back and dropped from probably #1 to #8 the next year. Brady Quinn came back and dropped alot farther than that.

Sam grew up in a very nice neighborhood and went to probably the 2nd wealthiest HS on this side of the state. He isn't dreaming of hummers (the car...duh!) and endless strippers. Of course the money looks nice, but it's not like he grew up eating out of a can.

meoveryouxinfinity
10/20/2008, 12:32 PM
I wouldn't bet money on it, but I think he stay's.

You didn't graduate HS with him ;)

hink4769
10/20/2008, 12:36 PM
Sam grew up in a very nice neighborhood and went to probably the 2nd wealthiest HS on this side of the state. He isn't dreaming of hummers (the car...duh!) and endless strippers. Of course the money looks nice, but it's not like he grew up eating out of a can.

There's a big difference between upper middle class money and top 5 NFL draft pick money.

meoveryouxinfinity
10/20/2008, 12:40 PM
There's a big difference between upper middle class money and top 5 NFL draft pick money.

He'll get his money either way (barring injury), the difference is that he doesn't salivate over it like some kids might. That's why I personally believe that he would never go (or be allowed to by his parents) after this year.

primetime43
10/20/2008, 01:14 PM
Its funny how everyone was all over Matthew Stadford and Tim Tebow's jock in the preseason sayin they where the 2 best pro prospects at qb.

I saw on espn's bottom line on gameday Bradford was the #1 pro prospect according to Todd Mcshay(sp?)

JLEW1818
10/20/2008, 01:15 PM
What is all this talk about strippers and nice cars??? That's not even the point. The point is, he is the best quarterback in the league, as far as NFL talent goes. Todd Mcshay has him number 1 on this draft board.

I hope he comes back for 2 more years, don't get me wrong.

JLEW1818
10/20/2008, 01:16 PM
Its funny how everyone was all over Matthew Stadford and Tim Tebow's jock in the preseason sayin they where the 2 best pro prospects at qb.

I saw on espn's bottom line on gameday Bradford was the #1 pro prospect according to Todd Mcshay(sp?)

Exactly!

KaleoHolley
10/20/2008, 01:38 PM
Im crackin up reading this thread, people c'mon Sam is a great, great kid, I know the family personally. I have to admit they are great people as well, but are we not being a little selfish thinking he and his family are going to pass up millions of dollars? We should be greatful we are watching him do what he does now, and not wish him to stay for another year or two.

JLEW1818
10/20/2008, 01:42 PM
Lol well I care about his college career more then NFL. ..... lol I admitted it.

If he asked me personally do you want me to go to NFL or stay 1 or 2 more years. I would say 2 years.

But the fact is he can get better, but how much? I don't think very much, NFL will take care of the rest.

oumartin
10/20/2008, 01:46 PM
no way he turns pro, He is fragile back there in the pocket. he needs to bulk up some more in the off season where some of the shots don't look like they are killing him.

He is without a doubt an NFL QB if he gets a little stronger in the body.

starclassic tama
10/20/2008, 02:00 PM
edit: already been said, shoulda read the thread

JLEW1818
10/20/2008, 03:00 PM
no way he turns pro, He is fragile back there in the pocket. he needs to bulk up some more in the off season where some of the shots don't look like they are killing him.

He is without a doubt an NFL QB if he gets a little stronger in the body.

So who is ahead of him right now as far as a NFL Quarterback????? Somebody has to be the first QB selected, and that somebody will be getting Millions.

hink4769
10/20/2008, 03:10 PM
So who is ahead of him right now as far as a NFL Quarterback????? Somebody has to be the first QB selected, and that somebody will be getting Millions.

This is right along my line of thinking. The projected QB class this year looks abysmal. I have little doubt that Sam would be the first QB selected if he bolted after this year. If he waits, there's no telling what might happen. If you're a top 5 pick one year, and wait there is absolutley no guarantee that you'll be in a similar situation the next year. There might be some other QBs nobody knows about now that pass him next year, or maybe with the talent turnover he doesn't have as good a season next year. You can always come back and get a degree, sometimes you only have one chance to be a top 5 NFL pick.

Johnny Utah
10/20/2008, 03:18 PM
I just scanned this thread so I'm not positive if anybody else brought this up, but Bradford reminds me a lot of Matt Ryan who was the Atlanta Falcons top pick out of BC, and currently top candidate for rookie of the year. Similar size, smarts, etc., and was also a RS freshman who stayed at BC all 4 years.

hink4769
10/20/2008, 03:18 PM
By the way, I'm not saying that I hope he goes or think he will, I'm just saying that if he wants to go high in the draft, he'll have the perfect oppurtunity this year. He'll probably end up on the Lions though since they look like they might go 0-16 and will definatley be looking for a QB, so maybe that will give him reason enough to stay an extra year.

TXBOOMER
10/20/2008, 03:21 PM
I hope Sam stays, but if he ends up being projected as the #1 overall pick and doesn't go I would be shocked. Anything can happen injury wise and giving up that kind of money would be hard. Now, if his family has a couple of generations wealth established in a trust maybe he stays.

JLEW1818
10/20/2008, 04:20 PM
This is right along my line of thinking. The projected QB class this year looks abysmal. I have little doubt that Sam would be the first QB selected if he bolted after this year. If he waits, there's no telling what might happen. If you're a top 5 pick one year, and wait there is absolutley no guarantee that you'll be in a similar situation the next year. There might be some other QBs nobody knows about now that pass him next year, or maybe with the talent turnover he doesn't have as good a season next year. You can always come back and get a degree, sometimes you only have one chance to be a top 5 NFL pick.

Matt Leinart stayed for his Senior year and dropped in the draft, was the projected number 1 after his junior year.

I'm not trying to start anything with anybody, but Sam is looking like the best quarterback for the draft.

Scott D
10/20/2008, 04:29 PM
Matt Leinart stayed for his Senior year and dropped in the draft, was the projected number 1 after his junior year.

I'm not trying to start anything with anybody, but Sam is looking like the best quarterback for the draft.

I think that's more that Leinart showed that he was overrated at the end of his junior year. Like an earlier poster said, I'd equate Sam Bradford more with Matt Ryan than with Matt Leinart or Brady Quinn. There are still parts of his game that need work, no matter what the numbers say.

JLEW1818
10/20/2008, 04:30 PM
I just scanned this thread so I'm not positive if anybody else brought this up, but Bradford reminds me a lot of Matt Ryan who was the Atlanta Falcons top pick out of BC, and currently top candidate for rookie of the year. Similar size, smarts, etc., and was also a RS freshman who stayed at BC all 4 years.

The thing about that is look at the quarterback draft class last year. FLACCO!!!!! who would have thought that? Why ? because there was nobody else good in that draft class. Just like this upcoming draft, Stafford does not have it and neither does Tebow.

why Ryan didn't leave after his junior year ? J. Russell and B. Quinn (seniors)

who are the seniors this year?

ousooners182
10/20/2008, 04:35 PM
lol no freaking way he goes pro after this year.
focuses to much on school to not get a degree

JLEW1818
10/20/2008, 04:41 PM
I don't think he will go, but why would he not if he is the number 1 QB ?

Scott D
10/20/2008, 04:44 PM
Underclassmen Quarterbacks won't see the field for at least 1 if not 2 years. Makes more sense for them to stay in college and get playing time. Unless they are the type that rely more on their legs than their arm and head. At which point it's more of a fact that they won't have as much longevity.

ousooners182
10/20/2008, 04:48 PM
even if he would be num 1 i still dont think he will go..his parents really push him for education...thats why he leads the team in gpa...school is first for him.

SoonerLB
10/20/2008, 05:10 PM
I hope he stays 2 more years and wins 2 National Championships!
Also, that gives him 2 years to bulk up and learn, have his degree on the wall, and enjoy his college years. Something bad would have to happen for him to ever fall far in the draft, and getting stronger and smarter only helps his draftability, as well as his chances for staying healthy in the NFL.
And call me selfish, but I want to see him re-write the record books!

hink4769
10/20/2008, 05:54 PM
even if he would be num 1 i still dont think he will go..his parents really push him for education...thats why he leads the team in gpa...school is first for him.

My parents really push me for education, but I think they would be fine with me dropping out of school because my employers offered me $60M to leave. Again, to all the posters that think he can just stay and the money will still be there, I just have to say that there are no sure things when it comes to draft status. There are so many things that can happen between drafts. Draft boards completley change over the course of a year, some players that begin the football season projected in the first round have bad seasons or get injured and then go completley undrafted. If you want to go in the top 5 you have to take advantage of the oppurtunity when it comes!

CK Sooner
10/20/2008, 06:07 PM
Clever retort from CK Sooner. Adding the CK will really set you apart as an individual in this chat room. Is this the part where you tell me I'm not welcome and try to pull my testicles?

Yes!

:D

Curly Bill
10/20/2008, 06:08 PM
Im crackin up reading this thread, people c'mon Sam is a great, great kid, I know the family personally. I have to admit they are great people as well, but are we not being a little selfish thinking he and his family are going to pass up millions of dollars? We should be greatful we are watching him do what he does now, and not wish him to stay for another year or two.

This is what we do, we find reasons that kids couldn't possiby consider going pro...then they go pro. It's really quite funny to watch. :D

Curly Bill
10/20/2008, 06:12 PM
I sure hope Sam gets that degree, so he can make several thousand dollars a year...

...I mean who'd want to leave school early to make millions when you can get that degree and make thousands?

...In other words: if you can make millions of dollars why the big concern over a degree that will likely earn you in the thousands someday?

Collier11
10/20/2008, 06:15 PM
I sure hope Sam gets that degree, so he can make several thousand dollars a year...

...I mean who'd want to leave school early to make millions when you can get that degree and make thousands?

...In other words: if you can make millions of dollars why the big concern over a degree that will likely earn you in the thousands someday?

sad but true

JLEW1818
10/20/2008, 06:16 PM
Remember now, he is a RS Sophomore, he has been in the Oklahoma Program for 3 years.

I think he ends up coming back, but I would go if I was him.

tommieharris91
10/20/2008, 06:27 PM
If I were him, I'd go after next season. I think he needs one more season of experience, and there's a history of QBs who leave after 3 years and never do well (Vick, Grossman).

stoops the eternal pimp
10/20/2008, 07:02 PM
Nobody knows who is gonna be the top qb this time of season...heck brohm from louisville and andre woodson from kentucky were 1st round locks til the bowls(senior,etc).....statistics mean squat...Matt Ryan was like 55th in passing efficiency, the newest overblown statistic.....

IMO stafford from Georgia will have a say in it....

Sam's release is a lot better than last years, but it still needs to get faster....needs to bulk up a bit more like martin said....arm strength is better but something again, that could be improved..needs to show he can make the nfl throws..

that being said, nfl teams are lacking solid backups(see dallas cowboys), but being drafted to be a backup(which is what he would be IMO) is not the kind of money that will cause him to leave early

JLEW1818
10/20/2008, 07:10 PM
If I were him, I'd go after next season. I think he needs one more season of experience, and there's a history of QBs who leave after 3 years and never do well (Vick, Grossman).

Grossman left after his RS Junior year. So 3 years on the field, 4 in the program.

OU-HSV
10/20/2008, 07:21 PM
Sam has stated he recognizes the physical and intellectual development he has made in the last year. He also sees how well his texas counterpart has done this year after a less than spectacular sophomore outing. He is smart enough to remember, as hard as it is for us the fans to do, that he is a "kid" and another year will show more dramatic improvement on what has become very quickly, the prototypical surgical field general. Bigger, stronger, better...

I'm thinking he stays.

I agree. I think he stays to fine tune things (if that's possible) and to gain a little more size. Maybe his only SLIGHT weakness to fine tune is a consistently accurate deep ball. One more year would improve his arm strength, make him stronger overall and probably allow him to put a few more needed pounds on. One more year of experience isn't going to hurt. He's proven he can be consistently excellent, so I don't think he would even need to consider any sort of Junior slump. I think he comes back, shatters all passing records that will remain...then goes #1 in the 2010 draft. Just my thoughts anyways.

JLEW1818
10/20/2008, 07:23 PM
He still might consider losing the entire offensive line, his 2 best WR, and possibly his tight end.

Just saying

3,000 post ya!!!

Scott D
10/20/2008, 07:28 PM
Grossman left after his RS Junior year. So 3 years on the field, 4 in the program.

and he's the benchmark for a Spurrier coached QB with NFL success.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/20/2008, 07:29 PM
post padder:D

Johnny Utah
10/20/2008, 08:09 PM

heh

JLEW1818
10/20/2008, 08:15 PM

So if he would have stayed another year he would be a lot better (Grossman)? no

Lott's Bandana
10/20/2008, 08:17 PM

Manning(s)

hink4769
10/20/2008, 08:17 PM
I don't think he's going to improve his arm strength by very much in one year. I think arm strength is like speed, you either have it or you don't.

JLEW1818
10/20/2008, 08:20 PM
Sam is getting compared to Peyton Manning.

I hope he stays but he can have millions in April if he wants it.

OU-HSV
10/20/2008, 08:48 PM
I don't think he's going to improve his arm strength by very much in one year. I think arm strength is like speed, you either have it or you don't.

I disagree. He's improved it this year from last year. That's not just me saying that either. Announcers, other coaches, sports talk people, etc. It can improve. Maybe not significantly, but I think it can always improve. The more deep balls a QB throws, the more accurate they get, and the stronger their arm gets

birddog
10/20/2008, 09:05 PM
He still might consider losing the entire offensive line, his 2 best WR, and possibly his tight end.

Just saying

3,000 post ya!!!

i think 1,000 came from this thread alone. ;)

i think i recall you saying he should stay. his body isn't mature enough to step in and play in the nfl. hell, even 5th year seniors have a tough time with the transition. the worst thing possible, career wise, would be for an nfl team to throw him in right away out of necessity and see him go 6-20 every game and finish with 6 td's and 17 pick.

KingDavid
10/20/2008, 09:08 PM
I hope he stays 2 more years and wins 3 National Championships!
Also, that gives him 2 years to bulk up and learn, have his degree on the wall, and enjoy his college years. Something bad would have to happen for him to ever fall far in the draft, and getting stronger and smarter only helps his draftability, as well as his chances for staying healthy in the NFL.
And call me selfish, but I want to see him re-write the record books!

Fixed. :D (Let's not count this year out quite yet, there, SoonerLB.)

JLEW1818
10/20/2008, 09:10 PM
i think 1,000 came from this thread alone. ;)

i think i recall you saying he should stay. his body isn't mature enough to step in and play in the nfl. hell, even 5th year seniors have a tough time with the transition. the worst thing possible, career wise, would be for an nfl team to throw him in right away out of necessity and see him go 6-20 every game and finish with 6 td's and 17 pick.

Well he is going to be a top pick eventually, and eventually he is going to be on 1 of the worst teams in the NFL. Regardless of when he leaves.

KingDavid
10/20/2008, 09:12 PM
I'll bet a pizza delivered to your door (or mine) that he stays.

My offer of the wager is good for the first poster to claim it.

Collier11
10/20/2008, 09:35 PM
I disagree. He's improved it this year from last year. That's not just me saying that either. Announcers, other coaches, sports talk people, etc. It can improve. Maybe not significantly, but I think it can always improve. The more deep balls a QB throws, the more accurate they get, and the stronger their arm gets

He has alot more zip on his passes this yr which is clear evidence that his arm is stronger, his coaches and other coaches have said it is stronger. NFL types have said that while he is no Elway, he has adequate arm strength and can make all the nfl throws...deep balls have little to do with arm strength and more to do with touch and timing, JW was the best EVAR for OU at throwing the Deep ball and his arm was less than SB's

OU-HSV
10/20/2008, 09:38 PM
He has alot more zip on his passes this yr which is clear evidence that his arm is stronger, his coaches and other coaches have said it is stronger. NFL types have said that while he is no Elway, he has adequate arm strength and can make all the nfl throws...deep balls have little to do with arm strength and more to do with touch and timing, JW was the best EVAR for OU at throwing the Deep ball and his arm was less than SB's

Exactly

Scott D
10/20/2008, 09:57 PM

still plenty of development to go.

Collier11
10/20/2008, 09:59 PM
still plenty of development to go.

Shut up Hippy!!!

But youre right

JLEW1818
10/20/2008, 10:05 PM
Plenty of development yes, but plenty of millions of dollars in April 2009.

I hope he stays, but ...... money

ousooners182
10/20/2008, 11:31 PM
lol i will bet anyone 321890743 dollars that he will not go pro this year.

anyone.

he is not physically ready for the nfl..if you say he is your exaggerating

he needs some more arm strength to throw the hash to hash throw in the nfl..he wants to win championships you can tell from his demeanor. He grew up here..his dad went to OU..he bleeds crimson! i guarantee you he will be back next year.

ousooners182
10/20/2008, 11:50 PM
Not to mention financially he could be better served to wait until 2010 cause with the CBA ordeal going on in 2010 it could potentially be an uncapped year which would mean more money.

But if they reach an agreement before 2010 there could quite possibly be a rookie cap so then he would want to go. !

SoonerLB
10/20/2008, 11:56 PM
Fixed. :D (Let's not count this year out quite yet, there, SoonerLB.)

How silly of me. And I like the way you think! :D

Phantasm
10/21/2008, 12:05 AM
I think he will be here next year.

misplacedsooner
10/21/2008, 01:06 AM
ill take your bet kingdavid!! as much as i hate to say it sam will be gone after this year and i like pizza alot. next years team will have a totally different look to it as far as offensive line and landry jones at qb.

soonerfan28
10/21/2008, 09:41 AM
Nobody seems to be mentioning that he may just want to go to the NFL for the challenge of the next level. I personally think he comes back next year. He'll have 2 lineman with starting experience and (Trent Williams & Brian Simmons), and if you count Jarvis Jones then you have 3. He'll have weapons like Murray, Broyles and it wouldn't shock me if they had Madu in the slot some, probably not Gresham, but Hanna is getting some time. If he does decide to turn pro then he will go to some crap team, so he really does need to put on some muscle or he's gonna take a beating.

JLEW1818
10/21/2008, 11:32 AM
I agree, but regardless if he leaves, stays 1 year, stays 2 years. He is going to be on a crap team in the NFL eventually.

misplacedsooner
10/21/2008, 12:58 PM
being originally from michigan im a hardcore detroit lions fan. yes they suck but they are my team. sam would be a great draft choice now that millan is gone. they got the kid from bc last year on the o-line and the other 1st rounder they could pick up another lineman to protect sam. i know this is way in the future but i can dream.

Scott D
10/21/2008, 01:06 PM
being originally from michigan im a hardcore detroit lions fan. yes they suck but they are my team. sam would be a great draft choice now that millan is gone. they got the kid from bc last year on the o-line and the other 1st rounder they could pick up another lineman to protect sam. i know this is way in the future but i can dream.

your lions made the first right move in trading the halfass malcontent to dallas. ;)

stoops the eternal pimp
10/21/2008, 01:08 PM
according to ESPN, he has great character tho

OU_Sooners75
10/22/2008, 06:53 AM
Everyone keeps saying that we lose our recievers next year; remember against baylor when sam played with the second teamers and still drove us down the field with surgical percision? He was throwing passes to caleb, tennel, Owens, and Miller, so a full spring with those guys and broyles will not make a difference. The line will have way more experience than it had back in 05. I predict a very good year next year with no drop off. Demarco Murray, Madu, Brown, Broyles, Clapp, Eldridge, and gresham who said that he was coming back, amd this offense will be clicking on all cyclinders.

You really do not know much about football, if you think there will be no drop off from losing 4 of 5 Olinemen.

I think we will be fine at the position as the season goes on, look at what happened last year with McCoy and his OLine. They had to only replace 3 going into 2007 (two of which were drafted), and he had some very bad protection.

I am not saying it wil occur, but our Offense will be very vanilla compared to this year to start next season. It will take a few games for the new OLine to get used to playing with each other. However, I do think the OLine next year will have a chance at being better than this years, once they get more experience.

OU_Sooners75
10/22/2008, 07:01 AM

So if he stays this year he will not be a #1 QB again?

Come on! He is bound to make millions if he leaves this year, or next, or in 2010.

Name the last successful early entrant at the QB spot that has succeeded in the NFL and name the year they got drafted!

Sam would be foolish to leave after this season. As long as he stays healthy he is a top QB no matter when he departs!

I think he will stay at least one more year because he would definitely benefit from bulking up a little more...learning to be the absolutel field general without looking at the sidelines for audibles....learning how to make his own decisions and reading the defenses better.

There is a lot he still needs to learn. And under Heupel, he will learn it.

If he chooses to leave early he will not get as much attention in developing his game as he does now.

OU_Sooners75
10/22/2008, 07:09 AM
My parents really push me for education, but I think they would be fine with me dropping out of school because my employers offered me $60M to leave. Again, to all the posters that think he can just stay and the money will still be there, I just have to say that there are no sure things when it comes to draft status. There are so many things that can happen between drafts. Draft boards completley change over the course of a year, some players that begin the football season projected in the first round have bad seasons or get injured and then go completley undrafted. If you want to go in the top 5 you have to take advantage of the oppurtunity when it comes!

And if he is more interested in getting his degree for free?

hmmm....What happens if he does get drafted only to land on his butt with no contract to play and no money?

He then loses his eligiblity to finish his college career and to finish school freee of debt!

Seems to me he works too hard in the classroom to allow this to happen.

Though there is no guarantees that he may continue to be a top drafted QB choice if he stays....there is also no guarantee he will make it as a NFL QB either.

Might as well get the sure thing, and that is the degree!

JLEW1818
10/22/2008, 12:04 PM
Injury

I think he will stay, but I'm sure if a lot of people on this board were in his shoes, they would go... lol , I would!

STEP, you are big on NFL draft stuff right? What do you think?

hink4769
10/22/2008, 12:22 PM
And if he is more interested in getting his degree for free?

hmmm....What happens if he does get drafted only to land on his butt with no contract to play and no money?

He then loses his eligiblity to finish his college career and to finish school freee of debt!

What? How would he get drafted and not get paid? I'm guessing he's not going to leave unless he's assured he'll go in the top 5, which he will if he's the #1 QB on the board. So I can pretty much assure you that if he leaves he'll get > $5 million just in signing bonuses, much much more than enough to finanance his education. I'm sorry but your logic that he would stay in school to get his free degree over jumping to the NFL because there's some finite (but < 1%) chance he will somehow end up with no money out of the deal is just idiotic.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/22/2008, 12:34 PM
Honestly its hard to tell..He reminds me still a lot of Omar Jacobs..similar in size, throwing motion, numbers, and even college offensive style(remember BG running that NH against OU)...He set the record for ratio of TDs to INTs..41 TD passes and just 4 INTs in one season....just a lot of comparable things between the 2...

OJ declared for the NFL Draft his junior year, and was drafted in the 5th round, by Pittsburg I believe. He never saw the field..He left early because he was told he was a 1st round pick, some even said top 10 pick in the draft..He was considered a better pro prospect this time of the season than Cutler, and right behind Leinhart...Remember he had shown everything that Sam has shown us up to this point....with half the talent around him..

I still think his throwing motion needs to get cleaned up....I think he needs 10-15 more lbs...Thats just my opinion..Last year I would have said he is undrafted..This season I would say he is in that mid round range(4th or 5th)....Teams need backup quarterbacks and thats what he would be drafted for IMO right now...and thats not worth leaving early for

btw

Once again, post season workouts(bowls, combine, team pro day) is where people decide whether he is the top qb in the draft...Do you really think Kiper or anybody else has really dissected his abilities yet? No..They are gonna be hanging around the scouts after the season is over, and just reporting what those guys are saying. Jacobs went from round 1 to round 5 after the post season workouts...

Collier11
10/22/2008, 01:00 PM
Honestly its hard to tell..He reminds me still a lot of Omar Jacobs..similar in size, throwing motion, numbers, and even college offensive style(remember BG running that NH against OU)...He set the record for ratio of TDs to INTs..41 TD passes and just 4 INTs in one season....just a lot of comparable things between the 2...

OJ declared for the NFL Draft his junior year, and was drafted in the 5th round, by Pittsburg I believe. He never saw the field..He left early because he was told he was a 1st round pick, some even said top 10 pick in the draft..He was considered a better pro prospect this time of the season than Cutler, and right behind Leinhart...Remember he had shown everything that Sam has shown us up to this point....with half the talent around him..

I still think his throwing motion needs to get cleaned up....I think he needs 10-15 more lbs...Thats just my opinion..Last year I would have said he is undrafted..This season I would say he is in that mid round range(4th or 5th)....Teams need backup quarterbacks and thats what he would be drafted for IMO right now...and thats not worth leaving early for

btw

Once again, post season workouts(bowls, combine, team pro day) is where people decide whether he is the top qb in the draft...Do you really think Kiper or anybody else has really dissected his abilities yet? No..They are gonna be hanging around the scouts after the season is over, and just reporting what those guys are saying. Jacobs went from round 1 to round 5 after the post season workouts...

Why do you love Colt Mccoy so much???

stoops the eternal pimp
10/22/2008, 01:05 PM
Why do you love Colt Mccoy so much???

Because he reminds me of Matt Schaub who directed my fantasy team to a win this weekend!

Collier11
10/22/2008, 01:07 PM
YOU SOB!!!

stoops the eternal pimp
10/22/2008, 01:10 PM
YOU SOB!!!

:mack:

Collier11
10/22/2008, 01:15 PM
ah hell, I completely missed my 6000th post cus of you jerkwad!

stoops the eternal pimp
10/22/2008, 01:17 PM
ah hell, I completely missed my 6000th post cus of you jerkwad!

I saw that! you wasted it you LOOZER

RiddlerOK
10/22/2008, 01:22 PM
Sam needs a little adversity and a chance to make plays before he reaches the NFL. Of course, I would prefer he steward an 800 lb. gorilla of an offense to a 12-0 finish but, as they say, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

misplacedsooner
10/22/2008, 01:55 PM
point well taken on the question of who has been a successful early entry but someone has to be the first right? sam will be a success where ever he goes. i see sam as a very good nfl qb.

OU_Sooners75
10/23/2008, 02:47 AM
point well taken on the question of who has been a successful early entry but someone has to be the first right? sam will be a success where ever he goes. i see sam as a very good nfl qb.

I am not going to dispute the fact that Sam could be a very good NFL QB. But Ryan Leaf was suppose to be one as well.

If Sam was to leave after this season, his chances of filling his potential will take a lot longer. The NFL seems incapable of developing young inexperienced QBs without much experience in college.

Any QB that has the potential of Bradford would be a retard to leave college early. Considering the fact that there is such a learning curve from 3 years removed from HS to 4-5 years removed.

Here are a list of players that I can think of off the top of my head that left college as an underclassmen....

JaMarcus Russell...Starts for Oakland, but is way underdeveloped as a second year player.
Troy Smith...Heisman Winner that is not even on a two deep roster.
Vince Young...had a decent first year. Now he doesn't even start and he is not even mentally stable for the NFL now.
Ryan Leaf...Left after his Junior year. Never made it in the NFL.
Mike Vick...Had tons of potential, had a couple of mediocre seasons....It was a good thing for Atlanta that he is in jail. They actually have a QB now.

QBs that decided to stay for their entire eligiblity....
Peyton Manning...Do I need to tell you his success?
Eli Manning..had the chance to leave early. Chose to Stay...Is one of the premiere QBs now.
Drew Brees...Pretty good NFL QB.
Aaron Rodgers...One of the top rated passers this year in the NFL.
Jay Cutler...Has shown signs of brillance. To bad he didnt have a better team around him.

Do I need to continue?

If Sam wants the fast money, go ahead, leave early. If he wants the high money that he can get for a very long time, he would be better off staying.

JLEW1818
10/23/2008, 10:24 AM
Vince Young was still a Redshirt Junior. So three years on the field, 4 in a great program.... yuck

Troy Smith????? He left after this Senior year, not his junior year, FYI.