View Full Version : 32, 34, 61

PLaw
10/19/2008, 09:41 PM
Do these numbers mean anything to you?

After this past week, OU is

#32 in run defense,

#34 in total defense,

#61 in pass defense.

And it doesn't look to get any better with the Sandy Aggies and pokes left on the schedule.

BOOMER

Sooner1979
10/19/2008, 09:53 PM

#32 in run defense,

#34 in total defense,

#61 in pass defense.

And it doesn't look to get any better with the Sandy Aggies and pokes left on the schedule.

BOOMER

Some years in the past we have been ranked #70-#90 in pass defense and been perfectly capable of shutting out Texas Tech and O-State...

Stats only matter when you aren't winning. I don't really care what our Statistical rankings are as long as our overall National ranking is #4 in the BCS with your only loss to a team ranked #1 and had 2 double digit leads against them without being able to run the ball...I think OU is doing just fine...Besides, those stats do not reflect when the majority of the yards happened. For instance, we may shut out a team in the first 3-1/2 quarters, and then soften up into a prevent and let a team move the ball outside of the red zone.

Not every team plays 100% all 4 quarters, because sometimes you want to prevent injuries, or you already have injuries in the game.

BV is a very good DC, and OU is very lucky to have him. There are always better Coordinators, but if someone is too damn good at what they do, they get hired as a Head Coach at Arizona. I would rather have an extremely good DC than a great one that leaves every other year, having to rebuild each year.

JLEW1818
10/19/2008, 09:55 PM
34 is not that bad, what is the rankings for the rest of the big 12?

PLaw
10/19/2008, 10:01 PM
Some years in the past we have been ranked #70-#90 in pass defense and been perfectly capable of shutting out Texas Tech and O-State...

Yeah, maybe when Boo was HC. But then again, it was three yards and a cloud of dust.

BOOMER

Sooner1979
10/19/2008, 10:14 PM
Yeah, maybe when Boo was HC. But then again, it was three yards and a cloud of dust.

BOOMER

Not true, after Mike left, we had some pretty down years in the secondary. Our pass defense in the past 4 years has only been in the Top 50-60...It has everything to do with the offensive teams we play. If we were in the SEC, we would not be playing teams that threw for 500 yards every game. The SEC doesn't have great pass defenses because of stats, they have great stats because they don't play passing teams...

Iam4OUru
10/19/2008, 10:51 PM

#32 in run defense,

#34 in total defense,

#61 in pass defense.

BOOMER

Here is why these numbers don't matter:

passing offense 3
total offense 4
scoring offense 3

JLEW1818
10/19/2008, 10:54 PM

passing offense 3
total offense 4
scoring offense 3

Ya until the offense sucks during a game.

Curly Bill
10/19/2008, 10:56 PM

passing offense 3
total offense 4
scoring offense 3

Those numbers kinda mattered two Saturdays ago when even our blistering offense couldn't overcome our defensive FAIL.

Curly Bill
10/19/2008, 10:57 PM
Ya until the offense sucks during a game.

The offense didn't come close to sucking against Texas and still our D was bad enough to get us beat.

colleyvillesooner
10/19/2008, 10:57 PM
Texas

Run D - 2
Pass D - 111
Total D - 39

JLEW1818
10/19/2008, 11:18 PM
The offense didn't come close to sucking against Texas and still our D was bad enough to get us beat.

ya just saying every team in college usually has at least 1 bad day on offense.

Colorado game last year.

Curly Bill
10/19/2008, 11:19 PM
ya just saying every team in college usually has at least 1 bad day on offense.

Colorado game last year.

If we ever have a bad day on offense we're as good as beat. I can't see the D winning a game for us.

tooslow
10/19/2008, 11:31 PM
The offense didn't come close to sucking against Texas......

Until it mattered and the game was on the line. :( I'm sure the opposing defense had something to do with that, though. I do agree with your other post that we are screwed if we have an off day on offense. I'm still waiting for the D to get pissed about the negative articles and start playing with a huge chip on their shoulders.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
10/19/2008, 11:32 PM
The #1 defense in the country statistically is TCU and we scored 35 and probably could have had more if we hadn't been concerned with trying to run the ball.

Do I think our defense is comparable to 2000 or 2001...not really close.

In the day of the spread offense today things have changed. As good as some of the defenses were under Switzer, they wouldn't be holding good teams under 150 yds of offense. Not with the number of offensive plays that are run today and teams that can spread the field and turn games into assignment football.

LSU gave up 43 points to Kentucky and 50 to Arkansas last year but managed to win the NC. Our defense needs to improve no doubt but I think just a little improvement and we are good enough to win the rest of our games.

Curly Bill
10/19/2008, 11:33 PM
Until it mattered and the game was on the line. :( I'm sure the opposing defense had something to do with that, though. I do agree with your other post that we are screwed if we have an off day on offense. I'm still waiting for the D to get pissed about the negative articles and start playing with a huge chip on their shoulders.

I'm ready for Bob to get pissed and get rid of Venables. :D

JLEW1818

I'm looking for a leader on the defense. Lendy stepped up against Kansas, we still don't have one though.

olevetonahill

BOOMER

Are you "Sooner boy of da norths " Troll ?:confused:

StoopTroup
10/19/2008, 11:37 PM
Here you go folks....

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2008&div=IA&site=org (http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2008&div=IA&site=org)

JLEW1818
10/19/2008, 11:38 PM
Or what if something happens to Sammy, tech.

JLEW1818
10/19/2008, 11:39 PM
Wow texas is almost last.

Leach will figure a way for Harrell to have time in the pocket.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
10/19/2008, 11:43 PM
Here you go folks....

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2008&div=IA&site=org (http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2008&div=IA&site=org)

Texas is 39th in total defense. We are 34th. Yet we want Venables under the next train leaving town and :texan: is forming a cult for Muschamp.

Honestly is we don't give up that kick return to Shipley we might be mildly concerned about the defense but I really doubt we would be that worried.

Missouri is 100th...lol.

JLEW1818
10/19/2008, 11:46 PM
So we faced the top 2 run defenses in the nation, no wonder why we couldn't run.

olevetonahill
10/19/2008, 11:50 PM
So we faced the top 2 run defenses in the nation, no wonder why we couldn't run.

Kinda slow aint ya Boy ?:P

JLEW1818
10/19/2008, 11:52 PM
just makes way more sense now. lol

StoopTroup
10/19/2008, 11:55 PM
Texas is 39th in total defense. We are 34th. Yet we want Venables under the next train leaving town and :texan: is forming a cult for Muschamp.

Honestly is we don't give up that kick return to Shipley we might be mildly concerned about the defense but I really doubt we would be that worried.

Missouri is 100th...lol.

It gets down to the fact that some folks don't remember when we had a program without a Head Coach.

I try to leave Coaching Change comments to Stoops.

He's got a pretty good track record.

I am tired of getting hammered by folks for losing Bowl Games though.

I could go the rest of my life without OU losing a Bowl Game again.

There is a bunch of folks who are quick to point out an OU loss where I work.

You have to be thick-skinned and be prOUd of yOUr Team when faced with a loss. Especially a texas loss. Those hurt the worst...but those five years in a row really took the sting out.

I like this years team.

I see nothing but bad if we start picking on guys. We've had some significant injuries now. Stoops is having to make adjustments.

3 of OUr last 4 games were against ranked teams.

I'm glad we aren't playing a ranked team on the road this week.

Manhattan sucks to play in but I think we'll handle them fine.

JLEW1818
10/19/2008, 11:58 PM
That is why these next 3 weeks are HUGE, plenty of time to get better on D.

We get another week off before Texas Tech too

olevetonahill
10/20/2008, 12:00 AM
Pretty Much agree ST
WE could Go back to the 90s :eek: :mad:
I think I like BOB being in charge, If HE likes BV then Im all for it .:D

JLEW1818
10/20/2008, 12:03 AM
Pretty Much agree ST
WE could Go back to the 90s :eek: :mad:
I think I like BOB being in charge, If HE likes BV then Im all for it .:D

I think its because their ladies like each other too much. lol

Rock Hard Corn Frog
10/20/2008, 09:59 AM
Ou is currently #1 in the Big 12 in total defense. Not saying we don't have our problems to fix but I wouldn't run BV out of town just yet.

madillsoonerfan5353
10/20/2008, 10:11 AM

#32 in run defense,

#34 in total defense,

#61 in pass defense.

BOOMER

The D sucks!!! It's sad because we have some good young talent on the field!! You guys can neg. spek me for this, but until we get a NEW DC this D will always underacieve!!!! IMO :mad:

madillsoonerfan5353
10/20/2008, 10:16 AM

passing offense 3
total offense 4
scoring offense 3

Don't matter if you can't stop the other team from getting in the endzone!!!

boomermagic
10/20/2008, 10:27 AM

#32 in run defense,

#34 in total defense,

#61 in pass defense.

BOOMER

Yes, They mean we had better get better quick fast and in a hurry or we will lose at least two more games...

NormanPride
10/20/2008, 10:27 AM
Kansas put up a ton of yards, but not as many points. If Reynolds doesn't go down, I doubt we have this conversation.

tator
10/20/2008, 10:36 AM
Kansas put up a ton of yards, but not as many points. If Reynolds doesn't go down, I doubt we have this conversation.
no doubt about it, it's a non-issue with RR on the field