PDA

View Full Version : Fareed Zakaria Endorses...

SoonerInKCMO
10/19/2008, 07:02 PM
From the transcript of today's 'GPS' show"

ZAKARIA: OK. We're in the home stretch, two weeks and two days away from the presidential election.

Now, many of you have e-mailed and asked me whom I will vote for. Since I tell you what I think about most things, I figured I shouldn't dodge this one. So, let me tell you whom I will vote for and why.

I think we have two good candidates. Both are serious people with an obvious commitment to the United States. Both are knowledgeable and substantive. Both talk about reaching across party lines to solve the country's problems.

But I think one is distinctly better for our times.

As I've watched John McCain discuss the current economic crisis, I couldn't help but think that he was really out of his element. His response to questions about the crisis and the rescue package tended to all be about cutting taxes, keeping government small, ending earmark spending.

This is a recitation of 30-year-old Republican orthodoxy and feels irrelevant to the problems we face today.

To get a sense of how divorced from reality McCain is on economics, consider this. He is still promising to balance the federal budget by the end of his first term, while offering large new tax cuts. In reality, the deficit is likely to be $1 trillion. Balancing it would require not good government policies, but magic.

On foreign policy, McCain is a relentless warrior. He wants to fight in Iraq, openly threatens to bomb Iran, is skeptical of the Bush administration's diplomacy with North Korea. He wants to kick Russia out of the G-8, humiliate China by keeping it also out of that body. He sees a world in which a league of democracies will tussle with an alliance of autocracies.

It's a Cold War strategy for a post-Cold War world.

By contrast, Barack Obama has been calm, sensible and intelligent on both economics and foreign policy. His proposals to respond to the financial crisis have been careful, measured and attuned to the moment we're in. Some of them have been adopted by the Bush administration already.

He wants limited tax cuts for the middle class, but also major new investments in infrastructure and alternate energy.

On foreign policy, he argues for greater international cooperation and the aggressive use of diplomacy. He sees a world in which America doesn't have to fight with everyone, and should instead work with other countries to solve the common problems we all face.

I repeat, these are two good men, but with two very different views of the world.

John McCain represents the best of America's past, and Barack Obama the hope of the future -- the hope of a country that can make big changes and live out one of its greatest promises, of equal opportunities for all Americans, of every caste, creed and color.

And America has always been a country that looks forward. So, I will be voting for Barack Obama on election day this year.

SoonerStormchaser
10/19/2008, 07:05 PM
Who is this guy and why should I give a ****?

GottaHavePride
10/19/2008, 07:06 PM
I have no idea what GPS stands for in this context.

However, the guy's reasoning sounds fairly well thought-out. Whether you agree with him is, of course, a separate issue.

SoonerInKCMO
10/19/2008, 07:09 PM
Who is this guy and why should I give a ****?

The editor of Newsweek International and the former managing editor of Foreign Affairs who has written a number of books including the best selling 'The Post American World'

In 1999, he was named "one of the 21 most important people of the 21st Century" by Esquire magazine. In 2007, he was named one of the 100 leading public intellectuals in the world by Foreign Policy and Prospect magazines. He has received honorary degrees from many universities. He serves on the board of Yale University, The Council on Foreign Relations, The Trilateral Commission, and Shakespeare and Company.

He received a B.A. from Yale and a Ph.D. in political science from Harvard. He lives in New York City with his wife, son and two daughters.

NYC Poke
10/19/2008, 07:10 PM
I'm currently reading his book The Post-American World. No, it's not an America-bashing book, it discusses the political and economic challenges we face with the emergence of new powers like China and India. It's an incredibly fascinating read. This guy knows what he's talking about.

As for who he is, you can read about him here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fareed_Zakaria. Sharp guy.

Sooner_Havok
10/19/2008, 07:15 PM
Well of course he supports Obama.

Fareed Zakaria is an India-born American journalist...

They're both Arab terrorists!!!!1

GottaHavePride
10/19/2008, 07:21 PM
I'm currently reading his book The Post-American World. No, it's not an America-bashing book, it discusses the political and economic challenges we face with the emergence of new powers like China and India. It's an incredibly fascinating read. This guy knows what he's talking about.

As for who he is, you can read about him here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fareed_Zakaria. Sharp guy.

I'm'a put that book on my list.

It's a long list.

SoonerInKCMO
10/19/2008, 07:26 PM
I'm'a put that book on my list.

It's a long list.

I second the Poke's recommendation. I'm about half-way through it too... but I haven't had a chance to read much of it in the past few days so I might start over to make sure I don't miss anything.