PDA

View Full Version : How Times Have Changed

Leroy Lizard
10/19/2008, 06:28 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=3651458

The Longhorns allowed five touchdown passes to Oklahoma's Sam Bradford last week but were better against Missouri's Chase Daniel. He completed 31 of 41 passes for 318 yards with two touchdowns. Daniel was sacked twice, and Texas often was able to pressure him with only a three- or four-man rush.

Okay, so the mark of a good defense today is allowing only 31 of 41 for 318 yards and two touchdowns.

Let's go back to a time when Vinnie Testerverde "torched" the Sooners in 1985. Remember how everyone was clamoring for him to win the Heisman after he had a "field day" with our defense?

Vinnie was 17 of 28 for 275 yards and two touchdowns.

lloyd45
10/19/2008, 06:41 PM
Don't be a homer dude. He got all his yards after Texas was already up 35-3 and started coasting to the victory. All the while Mizzou left him in and tried to jack up their stats as much as possible.

Also, you're taking way the wrong out of that article. That is the worst homerific SEC loving article I've ever read. I can't believe someone is jsut now posting it on this forum and griping about that part of it. What about the part where he questions what will happen when Texas plays a real team? GTFO of here with that crap you SEC homer.

I mean OU fans should be more upset about the crap he spews in that article than anyone.

"Yet we still don't know whether the Longhorns are the best team in college football.

And we still might not know two weeks from now, after Texas has hosted No. 8 Oklahoma State and played at No. 7 Texas Tech.

Even during what is being called the most difficult stretch in Texas football history -- the Longhorns have never played four ranked opponents in a row -- it won't face a team as menacing as it would face in the Jan. 8 BCS Championship Game in South Florida.

For whatever reason, Big 12 teams don't play defense anymore.

The league that was once known for its physical play and running games as much as anything else has been transformed into some sort of collegiate arena league.

All of the sudden, the Big 12 looks like what the WAC used to be."

What a total bitter homer piece of crap.

Jacie
10/19/2008, 06:43 PM
It was 35-3 at the half. Do you think they might have let up a little bit after intermission?

JLEW1818
10/19/2008, 06:46 PM
I agree.

lloyd45
10/19/2008, 06:46 PM
OMG rereading that article tilts the crap out of me. ESPN should be embarrassed that they allowed that on their site from someone they call an analyst.

Yea, lets question everyone's defense and talk about how great the SEC is, but fail to mention that 5 of the nations top 6 scoring offenses are out of the big 12.

olevetonahill
10/19/2008, 06:49 PM
OMG rereading that article tilts the crap out of me. ESPN should be embarrassed that they allowed that on their site from someone they call an analyst.

Yea, lets question everyone's defense and talk about how great the SEC is, but fail to mention that 5 of the nations top 6 scoring offenses are out of the big 12.

You keep this **** up and you gonna be Green :eek:
Oh wait :D
Cant believe Im enjoying a :texan: on the board .
Bro you Talk Football and not smack its Refreshing to say the least.;)

lloyd45
10/19/2008, 07:01 PM
I just can't get over a professional analyst, who gets paid to ANALYZE, saying something so absolutely ridiculous and not backing it up with any facts whatsoever. Just stating it like his opinion should be enough. I'm truly offended that someone would write that and try to pass it on to me as accurate and unbiased.

"Yet we still don't know whether the Longhorns are the best team in college football."

Is this guy serious?

olevetonahill
10/19/2008, 07:03 PM
I just can't get over a professional analyst, who gets paid to ANALYZE, saying something so absolutely ridiculous and not backing it up with any facts whatsoever. Just stating it like his opinion should be enough. I'm truly offended that someone would write that and try to pass it on to me as accurate and unbiased.

"Yet we still don't know whether the Longhorns are the best team in college football."

Is this guy serious?

Thier Not they Just got LUCKY against the BEST team :D

OUinFLA
10/19/2008, 07:05 PM
Cant believe Im enjoying a :texan: on the board .

well, that certainly applies to the thread title.
:D

lloyd45
10/19/2008, 07:06 PM
Well to be honest I tend to agree. I would say overall Texas would win 3-4 times out of ten if they were to play over and over again. Everything came together in that game for us.

Leroy Lizard
10/19/2008, 07:10 PM
BTW, my comment was aimed at the perception that 31 of 41 for 318 yards is considered a good defensive outing today. Yes, UT coasted in the second half but the writer does not mention that. He simply cites the overall game statistics. Obviously, he feels that the audience will look at 31 of 41 for 318 yards and go "Hmmm... not a bad defensive effort."

I was focusing on how perceptions on what constitutes a good defense have changed. When at any time during the 1980s would 5 passing TDs not be considered cause for panic on the defense? Today, it's not as big a deal.

So cut the homer crap.

DallasSooner87
10/19/2008, 07:11 PM
Well to be honest I tend to agree. I would say overall Texas would win 3-4 times out of ten if they were to play over and over again. Everything came together in that game for us.

This can't be coming from a real :texan:. It has too much thought and logic, and I don't hate it. :D

Stick around.

JLEW1818
10/19/2008, 07:12 PM
Thier Not they Just got LUCKY against the BEST team :D

whatever happened to the south oval drunky threads.

DallasSooner87
10/19/2008, 07:14 PM
BTW, my comment was aimed at the perception that 31 of 41 for 318 yards is considered a good defensive outing today. Yes, UT coasted in the second half but the writer does not mention that. He simply cites the overall game statistics. Obviously, he feels that the audience will look at 31 of 41 for 318 yards and go "Hmmm... not a bad defensive effort."

I was focusing on how perceptions on what constitutes a good defense have changed. When at any time during the 1980s would 5 passing TDs not be considered cause for panic on the defense? Today, it's not as big a deal.

So cut the homer crap.

I have to politely disagree. If a QB torches me for 5 TD's, I am going to make a huge deal about it and probably change up my schemes a little. Unless I am BV of course.;)

olevetonahill
10/19/2008, 07:16 PM
whatever happened to the south oval drunky threads.

I wuz gone to Normn
pay tention .

JLEW1818
10/19/2008, 07:18 PM
I wuz gone to Normn
pay tention .

ya I know, I was talking about in general . haha

olevetonahill
10/19/2008, 07:19 PM

Yall played Lites Out and Never quit .
Thats why I was Pizzed at the zebras. Those 3 bad calls In just a few Minutes Kept Yall in the Game .Then when RR went down we couldnt stop Yall .
Still one of the Best Shootouts Ive ever watched . and this was My 35th;)

StoopTroup
10/19/2008, 07:20 PM
I shoulda started one for ya OV. :D

olevetonahill
10/19/2008, 07:20 PM
ya I know, I was talking about in general . haha

Well we genraly have em On Fri. nites .
jes saying ;)

StoopTroup
10/19/2008, 07:21 PM
....and this was My 35th;)

beer? :D :pop:

olevetonahill
10/19/2008, 07:21 PM
I shoulda started one for ya OV. :D

Slacker :P
Did yer Dad like the OVJ ?

StoopTroup
10/19/2008, 07:22 PM
Slacker :P
Did yer Dad like the OVJ ?

Haven't got it over there yet.

I might go after dinner though...

lloyd45
10/19/2008, 07:39 PM
wow i typed out this whole long thing and it didn't go through, basically it was saying losing reynolds was the difference in the ball game.

Johnny Utah
10/19/2008, 08:21 PM
FWIW, Schlabach(?) is a georgia alum, former ajc columnist, and (obviously) an sec homer, since their almighty conference has gotten the national media exposure (and luv) it so desired, and is now being exposed as being not really that great! Oh, they'll continue to whine about the sec defenses being so great that not even an NFL team could move the ball against them, and so that's why the offenses are relatively anemic. But having lived in sec country for about 20 years, it's mostly a bunch of incestuous BS (still fighting the civil war), and clinging to one of the few things that this part of the country can identify with.

PLaw
10/19/2008, 08:31 PM
Don't be a homer dude. He got all his yards after Texas was already up 35-3 and started coasting to the victory. All the while Mizzou left him in and tried to jack up their stats as much as possible.

BINGO! Look at the first half stats.

For whatever reason, Big 12 teams don't play defense anymore.

BINGO, again! There is not a Big 12 team in the top 25 total defense ranking.

The league that was once known for its physical play and running games as much as anything else has been transformed into some sort of collegiate arena league.

BINGO, three in one post, nice! The defensive fundamentals suck - way too much arm tackling or trying to make an ESPN highlight

All of the sudden, the Big 12 looks like what the WAC used to be."

What a total bitter homer piece of crap.

BOOMER

sooneron
10/19/2008, 08:38 PM
There are two offenses in the sec that we would be really tested by- UGa and UFla. Offense in that conference is a joke.

And yes, I am talking about the Sooner's D coached by BV.

Johnny Utah
10/19/2008, 08:42 PM
There are two offenses in the sec that we would be really tested by- UGa and UFla. Offense in that conference is a joke.

And yes, I am talking about the Sooner's D coached by BV.

Those are the 2 that would concern me too. Add to that, that they both play fast and aggressive defense and I see a real test for OU.

sooneron
10/19/2008, 08:55 PM
Those are the 2 that would concern me too. Add to that, that they both play fast and aggressive defense and I see a real test for OU.

And yet, they are supposedly the bestest conference evar!:rolleyes:

lloyd45
10/20/2008, 12:06 AM
No, the ONLY comparable offense to Texas and OU's in the sec is Florida. None of the others, including 'Bama and Georgia are as electric.

lloyd45
10/20/2008, 12:07 AM
Florida's just got so much damn speed and you can't coach that.

JLEW1818
10/20/2008, 12:11 AM
just imagine where they would be ranked if they did not lose to ole miss

lloyd45
10/20/2008, 12:33 AM
Yea they're easily the most dissapointing 1 loss team imo. Even more then SC.

sooneron
10/21/2008, 10:39 PM
Florida's just got so much damn speed and you can't coach that.

and moxie, don't forget moxie:texan:

lloyd45
10/21/2008, 11:06 PM
lol whatever

Curly Bill
10/21/2008, 11:10 PM
and moxie, don't forget moxie:texan:

Does moxie top swagger? :D

lloyd45
10/21/2008, 11:11 PM
speed >>> moxie >>> swagger

am i right?

Curly Bill
10/21/2008, 11:13 PM

am i right?

IMO swagger tops moxie. :D

BoulderSooner79
10/21/2008, 11:30 PM

am i right?

speed >>> moxie >>> swagger >>> speed >>> moxie >>> swagger >>> ...

It's kinda like rock,paper,scissors

Johnny Utah
10/22/2008, 06:01 AM
For at least 2 weeks now one of our favorite tools, Lee Corso, has gushed over how impressed he was with the "character" of Georgia, not giving up after they were down 31-0 against Bama ... go figure.

adoniijahsooner
10/22/2008, 06:16 AM
what he fails to mention is that tcu, the number 1 defense in the country, shut down the high powered wac byu, but was torched by us. the offenses in the big 12 are unbelievable. imagine if the sec had 7 or 8 tim tebows or staffords on different teams, then we would see higher point totals every week. this guy just looks at scores and writes articles.

boomermagic
10/22/2008, 09:15 AM
:pop: