PDA

View Full Version : Pinkel/Booger "feckless" wow

aurorasooner
10/19/2008, 04:29 PM
St. Louis paper hammers Pinkel/Booger. "feckless" That just sounds nasty! :eek:
But how do we explain Mizzou’s incredible stage fright in a big game? the Tigers have been playing the big rooms for a while now. They’ve had plenty of games on ESPN and ABC. They’ve been on the cover of Sports Illustrated, ESPN the Magazine and other national publications. They had a showdown game with Kansas last season, and played Oklahoma twice, including a matchup in the Big 12 Championship. And they’ve played Illinois twice in St. Louis, and that’s a rivalry game with a lot of built-in pressure.

Those games should have prepped the Tigers and conditioned them for the meeting in Texas. At the very least, I expected Mizzou to put up a fight and generally play well and come up short. And while losing should never be acceptable, it is possible to lose in a way that maintains respect.
Mizzou lost a ton of respect and credibility on Saturday night. The MU offense, predictably overrun by the Texas front, was shaken and rattled. And QB Chase Daniel lost his poise (again). The Tigers opened the game with three-and-outs on three of the first four possessions. And forget this bunk about Daniel playing in the NFL; if the dude encounters even a faint pass rush it unhinges him. Getting smacked around is standard in the NFL.
Given that the Tigers had a solid defense in 2007, and were returning nine or 10 starters for 2008, how can this unit be so feckless? What happened here? How did these players forget how to play pass defense in less than a year’s time? How and when did they lose their competitive fire? When did the turn so soft? And why can’t defensive coordinator Matt Eberflus get a response from the players, or adjust his schemes to close the glaring holes in the Mizzou secondary? Why are his blitzes so predictable? Texas knew when the blitzes were coming and Colt McCoy carved it up.

And the questionable coaching isn’t limited to the defensive side. Just how many times did Gary Pinkel and offensive coordinator Dave Christensen need to see redshirt freshman Elvis Fisher get buried at left tackle at Texas before they’d conclude it might be smart to give the young man some help? And why did it take the MU coaches six quarters (four vs. Oklahoma State and then the first half vs. Texas) before they closed those wide O-line gaps that made it so easy for the Cowboys and Longhorns to stuff the run or crash Daniel’s pocket?

Pinkel, Christensen and Eberflus did a terrible job of preparing their team for the last two games, and even a worse job of adjusting. And there’s really no excuse for that. Again, if Mizzou loses because of the talent deficit, that’s one thing. But it was more than that. the timid Tigers got jacked in Austin because they weren’t locked in, competitively. And once Texas began rolling, the MU coaches did nothing to slow the avalanche. Mizzou was in a daze, players and coaches.

This team wasn’t ready for a big game.

The coaches weren’t, either.

And Pinkel still hasn’t beaten Texas or Oklahoma.

Reality check?
See Bernie : Mizzou Played Scared http://www.stltoday.com/sports/mizzou

lloyd45
10/19/2008, 04:35 PM
wow that is one of the harshest articles I've ever read from a newspaper. The game really could have been worse.

If I were Mack Brown I would dare the head referee to not call a holding penalty on the opposing teams left tackle. How they don't see that Orakpo is held almost any time he tries a pass rush is truly beyond me. The LT wasn't even trying to hide it last night. He was so overmatched that he HAD to hold and they never once called it.

Partial Qualifier
10/19/2008, 04:53 PM
Unrealistic expectations much??

the Tigers have been playing the big rooms for a while now. They’ve had plenty of games on ESPN and ABC. They’ve been on the cover of Sports Illustrated, ESPN the Magazine and other national publications. They had a showdown game with Kansas last season, and played Oklahoma twice, including a matchup in the Big 12 Championship. And they’ve played Illinois twice in St. Louis, and that’s a rivalry game with a lot of built-in pressure.

Those games should have prepped the Tigers and conditioned them for the meeting in Texas.

- Televised games: CHECK
- Magazine appearances: CHECK
- stomped by OU x2: CHECK
- Played the Fighting Illini: CHECK

.......and this is the recipe for taking a 1-dimensional offense and a poor defense and beating a #1 team on the road ? :rolleyes:

The writer of that article is almost as noob as Mizzou :)

lloyd45
10/19/2008, 04:59 PM
He never said anything about beating them.

"At the very least, I expected Mizzou to put up a fight and generally play well and come up short. And while losing should never be acceptable, it is possible to lose in a way that maintains respect."

Partial Qualifier
10/19/2008, 05:05 PM
He never said anything about beating them.

"At the very least, I expected Mizzou to put up a fight and generally play well and come up short."

...I didn't. :D

I just think that commentary comes from someone who was drinking the black & gold kool-aid. Mizzou is... well, they're Mizzou. They were overrated this year from the very beginning.

ousooners182
10/19/2008, 05:07 PM
very harsh.
but also amusing

aurorasooner
10/19/2008, 05:16 PM
I knew they were "feckless" when Christenson (or Pinkel) called that slow developing halfback/WR double reverse and their 1st offensive play of the game against a clearly superior DL. For the next 3 series both the Mizzou O and D were stunned. I will agree with the writer on the blitz. If you're going to blitz McCoy you'd better have your other DL get their eyes and arms up to try and block McCoy's pass and have a well-disguised quality blitz and as well someone jumping the slant passing lane.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/19/2008, 06:28 PM
the Gary Pinkel is a good coach fraud could only last so long..how quickly people forget how he took down Brad Smith's career.....

NCSooner18
10/19/2008, 07:04 PM
"And why can’t defensive coordinator Matt Eberflus get a response from the players, or adjust his schemes to close the glaring holes in the Mizzou secondary? Why are his blitzes so predictable? Texas knew when the blitzes were coming and Colt McCoy carved it up."

huh...sounds kinda familiar.

lloyd45
10/19/2008, 07:08 PM
I don't think it's completely fair to only place blame on your D. Give credit where credit is due. Greg Davis (i can't believe i'm about to say this) has somehow called near perfect games and has had amazing gameplans. Especially in preparing Colt for the blitz pickups.

Soonerfan88
10/19/2008, 09:34 PM
I don't think it's completely fair to only place blame on your D. Give credit where credit is due. Greg Davis (i can't believe i'm about to say this) has somehow called near perfect games and has had amazing gameplans. Especially in preparing Colt for the blitz pickups.

I just haven't been able to give Davis that much credit and have decided that Major Applewhite has a lot more to say about the offense this year than anyone in Austin will admit.

bluedogok
10/19/2008, 09:43 PM
...I didn't. :D

I just think that commentary comes from someone who was drinking the black & gold kool-aid. Mizzou is... well, they're Mizzou. They were overrated this year from the very beginning.
I think that is much of the hype, the North media have been yearning for someone to compete against the teams in the South and so far there hasn't been a consistent contender since OU and Texas took the South back over from aTm and Nebraska and K-State have fallen. I think right now there are 4 teams in the South better than anyone in the North.

We went to my cousins concert out in Rockdale last night and listened to the game along the way, the outcome didn't surprise me in the least.

NYC Poke
10/19/2008, 09:47 PM
I should send Booger some money so he could go out and buy some feck.

ouwasp
10/19/2008, 10:28 PM
by the way, according to Webster's Seventh New Collegiate Dictionary:

Feckless = inneffectual; weak; WORTHLESS...

In other words, Mizzou isn't worth a feck.:D

lloyd45
10/19/2008, 11:59 PM
I just haven't been able to give Davis that much credit and have decided that Major Applewhite has a lot more to say about the offense this year than anyone in Austin will admit.

lol thats EXACTLY what my dad said. But he's the running backs coach.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/20/2008, 12:10 AM
Hilarious thread!

OUmillenium
10/20/2008, 12:58 AM

Beat me to it...credit applesauce not Davis.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/20/2008, 09:10 AM

I would have to agree on this. Nothing I have seen has shown me historical Greg Davis calls. That and the notation that Applewhite is Assistant Head Coach only shows Opie is being groomed and he is taking over more and more. That position coach title is only for show and not to embarrass.

Jason White's Third Knee
10/20/2008, 09:51 AM
I should send Booger some money so he could go out and buy some feck.

T Boone would.

SOONERxWife73
10/20/2008, 01:00 PM
feckless? how bout exposed for what they are and will always be. oh wait. that is feckless, my bad.