PDA

View Full Version : You know I have been impressed with?

BASSooner
10/19/2008, 03:07 PM
Kevin Wilson.

He is really catching on as an OC. The offense is becoming more unpredictable each game and we finally established a running game yesterday. The fact also is that, when adjustments are needed, he makes them. Hats off to him, and hope to God that he stays here!

OU_Sooners75
10/19/2008, 03:09 PM
You do know OU is not his first stop at OC, right?

He was the Northwestern OC when they were playing for Big 10 titles.

And I like Wilson. Sometimes his play calling is questionable. But I think he is one of the best OCs in the nation.

OU_Sooners75
10/19/2008, 03:10 PM
Oh and you can have the spread. I will take this hurry up traditional style over that gimmick offense any day!

BASSooner

And I like Wilson. Sometimes his play calling is questionable. But I think he is one of the best OCs in the nation.

oh I knew that, i just said that he is really catching on HERE. :)

Curly Bill
Where's your "winky" at? I think KW is OK as OC, but impressed is too strong a word.

How long has it taken him to realize that running up into the middle of the line every running play is FAIL?

BASSooner
10/19/2008, 03:14 PM
Where's your "winky" at? I think KW is OK as OC, but impressed is too strong a word.

How long has it taken him to realize that running up into the middle of the line every running play is FAIL?

I will say that I am tired of seeing that. I think it would be pretty exciting to see Bradford to run the ball a bit more

tommieharris91
10/19/2008, 03:16 PM

5 games or so. It's better than running the same defense Venables runs on just about every down and distance.

OU_Sooners75
10/19/2008, 03:19 PM
I will say that I am tired of seeing that. I think it would be pretty exciting to see Bradford to run the ball a bit more

Not no, but HELL NO!

I like how he actually went back to basic run offense when we ran the ball.

If the OLine is not hitting the sled, they need to be doing so about 70 times a practice.

josh09
10/19/2008, 03:19 PM
Kevin Wilson.

He is really catching on as an OC. The offense is becoming more unpredictable each game and we finally established a running game yesterday. The fact also is that, when adjustments are needed, he makes them. Hats off to him, and hope to God that he stays here!

Why would you be impressed with KW? I thought we were all calling for his head! :rolleyes: :D

sooner13f
10/19/2008, 03:21 PM
I think he called one of his best games yesterday. I was impressed.

MichiganSooner
10/19/2008, 03:29 PM

Bradford runs when he needs too to scramble or recover a busted play. But we don't need him just runnin. If he runs, he might fumble and if he fumbles he might tackle somebody. Keep Sam safe.

Curly Bill
10/19/2008, 03:44 PM
5 games or so. It's better than running the same defense Venables runs on just about every down and distance.

Compared to Venables KW does indeed look like a genius. :D

SoonerStormchaser
10/19/2008, 03:46 PM
I do agree with the job that KW has done.

That said...CL looked awesome when White was at the helm...

I think it's a combination of decent playcalling by KW...one badass mutha as a QB...and one semi-solid OL.

OUmillenium
10/19/2008, 03:55 PM
We definitely were not as predictable on O against KU and I enjoyed watching our offense mix it up. Defense surpised me in the 2nd half with a couple of stops. Defensive scheming is still pretty weak IMO.

mustangsooner
10/19/2008, 05:37 PM

I think that his no huddle is great but I think he should run outside a little more. He runs right up the throat a lot. What do I know though.

aurorasooner
10/19/2008, 05:39 PM
You know I have been impressed with?
Kevin Wilson.
He is really catching on as an OC. The offense is becoming more unpredictable each game and we finally established a running game yesterday. The fact also is that, when adjustments are needed, he makes them. Hats off to him, and hope to God that he stays here! I'll be impressed with KW when I see our O throw some NFL type screen passes to our running back (sometimes backs), when the opposition is stuffing our running game. Sam's not a rookie any more and is technically a Jr. this year (red-shirt soph) and we need this play in our offense, imo. An effective well practiced screen pass does a several things 1) runs the LBs to tire them out 2) Gives the OL a chance to get away from the monotony of trench blocking and have some fun hammering some LBs/DBs downfiled and 3) makes the fans forget about the run-game being stuffed because your running back has the ball eating up chunks of yardage just like a quality running play.
Of course KW may be scared as h*ll that this OL may not even try to initially brush-block and opposing DL resulting in Sam getting buried. In any event, I'd like to see a well-coached, well-executed NFL type screen pass in our offensive gameplan, but would even settle for us putting the Q-shovel-pass back in. I used to enjoy the heck out of that play, especially when Leach would call it 2 or 3 times in a row until the D showed they could stop it.

okiewaker
10/19/2008, 05:46 PM
;) Bradford really is not the qb he likes to run, but he will suffice!

cvsooner
10/19/2008, 05:49 PM
Jay Norvell hasn't been getting any love, either, for his work with the receivers. I sure hated to see Manny go down yesterday but he was replaced without much of a hiccup.

That said, I wish I could stop being nervous about throwing the ball to Iglesias. Is he gonna drop it or fumble it.....? Leading receiver yesterday, but should have had two more. Just bad drops.

He also dropped one he HAD to catch against Texas.

Texas game reminded me of USC-Texas in 2006. Longhorns got a stop when they had to have it...we didn't. Simple as that.

okiewaker
10/19/2008, 05:58 PM
Jay Norvell hasn't been getting any love, either, for his work with the receivers. I sure hated to see Manny go down yesterday but he was replaced without much of a hiccup.
That said, I wish I could stop being nervous about throwing the ball to Iglesias. Is he gonna drop it or fumble it.....? Leading receiver yesterday, but should have had two more. Just bad drops.

He also dropped one he HAD to catch against Texas.

Texas game reminded me of USC-Texas in 2006. Longhorns got a stop when they had to have it...we didn't. Simple as that.

See Sam Bradford. I think OU could plug anyone in as long as Sam is tossing the ball.

However, I did hate to Manny to down

aurorasooner
10/19/2008, 05:59 PM
Jay Norvell hasn't been getting any love, either, for his work with the receivers Agree they're all definitely 2-hand snaggin' it and not chest-trapping it this year. I agree, props to Norvell.
I liked what I saw from Chaney yesterday. He turned and looked back to see if he was being dogged, and then protected the ball from being back-side scraped.

Johnny Utah
10/19/2008, 08:28 PM
Jay Norvell hasn't been getting any love, either, for his work with the receivers.

Former Dallas Cowboys tight end Jay Norvell is an assistant coach?

tooslow
10/19/2008, 09:02 PM
Kevin Wilson.
The fact also is that, when adjustments are needed, he makes them.

Are you talking about in-game adjustments? His prep during the week has been very good, as evident by the huge scoring differential during the first quarter. However, it seems that after halftime once the other team makes their defensive adjustments, our offense has been held in check. I realize that the offense has been held back due to a lot of blowouts, but we have been outscored in the fourth quarter by a margin of 29-14 against the three ranked teams we have played. Are they running too many plays and getting worn out? Maybe, but the opposing defenses should be just as tired.....

Johnny Utah
10/19/2008, 09:08 PM
Former Dallas Cowboys tight end Jay Norvell is an assistant coach?

My bad ... I was confusing him with Jay Novacek:O.

Sooner1979
10/19/2008, 09:44 PM

Running the ball up the middle either makes you look bad or brilliant. Yes, sometimes he may slow a drive to a crawl when running the ball up the middle, but it also keeps the defense honest. Sometimes as an offense, you will catch the defense playing the corners, and A. you can't run the ball outside because men are posted there, and B., you want to keep the defense guessing. They also ask, why would they do that? And then all of a sudden throw a slant route over the middle right after running the ball up the middle, because the defense wouldn't have guessed that.

Like I said, running up the middle either makes you look brilliant or uninspired and not creative.

mustangsooner
10/20/2008, 08:08 AM
Running the ball up the middle either makes you look bad or brilliant. Yes, sometimes he may slow a drive to a crawl when running the ball up the middle, but it also keeps the defense honest. Sometimes as an offense, you will catch the defense playing the corners, and A. you can't run the ball outside because men are posted there, and B., you want to keep the defense guessing. They also ask, why would they do that? And then all of a sudden throw a slant route over the middle right after running the ball up the middle, because the defense wouldn't have guessed that.

Like I said, running up the middle either makes you look brilliant or uninspired and not creative.

It does either make you brilliant or uninspired and you have to run up the middle. But when I can see the play coming then I know the defense can. Although they have thrown me for a loop a few times this year not as predictible as they have been in the past.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/20/2008, 09:01 AM
Oh and you can have the spread. I will take this hurry up traditional style over that gimmick offense any day!

Agreed.

A scheme can be defended by the right personnel and plan. However, speed can only be defended by speed. That is hard to come about with the exception of a few teams. Hurry up, no huddle, whatever with our current scheme is not a bad plan. I only wish we could run block better and provide more holes for the backs. I think we have the personnel in the back field to get it done, just need to provide the path...

OU_Sooners75
10/20/2008, 09:05 AM
Agreed.

A scheme can be defended by the right personnel and plan. However, speed can only be defended by speed. That is hard to come about with the exception of a few teams. Hurry up, no huddle, whatever with our current scheme is not a bad plan. I only wish we could run block better and provide more holes for the backs. I think we have the personnel in the back field to get it done, just need to provide the path...

Our OLine is to big and slow to really be effective run blockers. They are mammoth pass blockers though.

Next year we will have a slightly smaller OL that will be better for the run, but will also sacrafice some on the pass.

beer4me
10/20/2008, 09:32 AM

Thanks CB I was going to say the same thing.

And for any of you who thinks SB should be RUNNING "are you out of your frecking mind". Sam is NOT a running QB. He does just well enough to get out of many jams, but to try make a living doing that is just stupid.

BOOMER SOONER