PDA

View Full Version : McCoy's passing efficiency?

Dan Thompson
10/19/2008, 12:30 PM
Now that Chase Daniel is forgotten, all the talk is about McCoy's passing efficiency. I came across this on SI's Big XII individual stats.

1. 192.2 SAM BRADFORD
2. 191.9 Zac Robinson (osu)
3. 190.8 Colt McCoy
4. 175.8 Chase Daniels
5. 163.5 Graham Harrell

StoopTroup
10/19/2008, 12:43 PM
Also...whoever the experts are that are voting for Sam as 3 and 4 and Macklin as number one...

They aren't experts.

I don't want to tell anyone how to vote but if your going to vote...you ought to at least consider a guys stats and the strength of those stats vs the schedule they have faced.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/heisman/index (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/heisman/index)

85sooners
10/19/2008, 01:43 PM
:gary:

lloyd45
10/19/2008, 03:50 PM
All the talk is about Colt's because he's won all his ball games. Had OU won everyone would be talking about bradford. Come on dude, thats pretty simple. If two peoples passing efficiencies are practically even you gotta go with the guy that beat the other guy.

Don't be such a homer.

Just like if Ok state wins next week the talk will be out robinson.

Not to mention throw in Colt's rushing stats and you can't even argue stats.

PalmBeachSooner
10/19/2008, 07:32 PM
Now that Chase Daniel is forgotten, all the talk is about McCoy's passing efficiency. I came across this on SI's Big XII individual stats.

1. 192.2 SAM BRADFORD
2. 191.9 Zac Robinson (osu)
3. 190.8 Colt McCoy
4. 175.8 Chase Daniels
5. 163.5 Graham Harrell

I don't think they are talking as much about his efficiency as they are his completion percentage. It's almost 80%! That's unbelievable at this point in the season. It does seem that a majority of his throws are under 10 yards which helps that stat considerably and it is probably the reason why his efficiency is only 3rd, not that 3rd is anything to be ashamed of. Up to this point there hasn't been a DC that has been able to take away Colt's bread-n-butter, namely Shipley over the middle and occassionally QC on a deeper pass.

lloyd45
10/19/2008, 07:43 PM
I can't even do it NCAA Football on my ps3

StoopTroup
10/19/2008, 07:52 PM
All the talk is about Colt's because he's won all his ball games. Had OU won everyone would be talking about bradford. Come on dude, thats pretty simple. If two peoples passing efficiencies are practically even you gotta go with the guy that beat the other guy.

Don't be such a homer.

Just like if Ok state wins next week the talk will be out robinson.

No you don't...

They are pretty evenly matched.

I'm not saying Sam should be number one either.

No way Daniels even gets a 1 or 2 vote and Maclin is stealing a vote away from either Sam or Colt.

Sam is getting hosed with the two 3rd place votes and the one 4th place vote.

Colt getting a 3rd place vote is laughable IMO.

Right now Sam and Colt are the two best in NCAA Div IA.

The rest of them are just freeloading for a ride to NY.

JLEW1818
10/19/2008, 08:08 PM
If this voting is so accurate , why is there sometimes a surprise when the Heisman is giving away? Nobody knows until they actually give it away right?

sooneron
10/19/2008, 08:52 PM

:confused:
Sam- total 2520 yards , 26 tds

Pony boy-total 2265 , 19 tds
rushing td - 6 tds

math must be hard for you.

His rushing #s have gone downhill drastically since you guys started playing better teams. He had 31 yards against our supposedly crappy D.

the_OU_word
10/19/2008, 09:10 PM

rushing td - 6 tds

His rushing #s have gone downhill drastically since you guys started playing better teams. He had 31 yards against our supposedly crappy D.

Word.

Dan Thompson
10/19/2008, 09:32 PM
Don't forget that Sam is in the middle of his "sophmore slump".

bluedogok
10/19/2008, 09:38 PM
"Passing efficiency" depends on which stat you are looking at, the one that I think McCoy leads on is completions to attempts so that is the one they use. I think it is the same one that was used for Sam last season.

snp
10/19/2008, 09:51 PM
"Passing efficiency" depends on which stat you are looking at, the one that I think McCoy leads on is completions to attempts so that is the one they use. I think it is the same one that was used for Sam last season.

Bradford led the nation in passer rating/efficency last year. Riley Skinner led in completion percentage, Bradford was 5th. This year, McCoy leads in completion percentage, Bradford is 5th.

StoopTroup
10/19/2008, 11:44 PM
Bradford - 9th

McCoy - 13th

NCAA Player Stats - Passing (http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2008&rpt=IA_playerpass&site=org)

olevetonahill
10/19/2008, 11:48 PM
In this Pic he looks Like he passin it pretty well ;)
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1219/1200376759_8630ace9bf_o.jpg

JLEW1818
10/19/2008, 11:54 PM
blahahahha

lloyd45
10/19/2008, 11:55 PM

rushing td - 6 tds

Ok I will admit defeat and eat crow. However I'll also say thats not totally what I meant. What I should have said is Colt brings a whole other element to his game, like running.

I mean, if you're a nfl scout and you desperately need a qb and your only two choices are colt and sam, I think 100% of the scouts would pick Sam.

But as far as Heisman, I think you have to go with Colt because of his ability to run at the college level.

And I've never said OU's defense is crappy. That'd take away from what UT did.

footballfanatic
10/20/2008, 10:12 AM
In the biggest game of his season, in front of a national TV audience, McCoy won the game and Bradford lost. This is what people remember, not gaudy stats. The image in the fourth quarter of Bradford failing to move the ball is what people are left with, rather than his fabulous early play. Bradford couldn't have done more to help his team win, and he wasn't the reason they lost in any way, but fair or not, people are very fickle and favor the latest and greatest.

sooneron
10/21/2008, 10:37 PM
Ok I will admit defeat and eat crow. However I'll also say thats not totally what I meant. What I should have said is Colt brings a whole other element to his game, like running.

I mean, if you're a nfl scout and you desperately need a qb and your only two choices are colt and sam, I think 100% of the scouts would pick Sam.

But as far as Heisman, I think you have to go with Colt because of his ability to run at the college level.

And I've never said OU's defense is crappy. That'd take away from what UT did.
Yes, but like I said, against increasing competition, he's dropping like a rock. If I'm a voter, I'm not going to get all gooey over a qb that averaged around 38 yards rushing in that year. What Colt has is the game in Dallas and that ridiculous night a week later, that's what gets it for him.

Okie35
10/22/2008, 02:52 AM
I don't think they are talking as much about his efficiency as they are his completion percentage. It's almost 80%! That's unbelievable at this point in the season. It does seem that a majority of his throws are under 10 yards which helps that stat considerably and it is probably the reason why his efficiency is only 3rd, not that 3rd is anything to be ashamed of. Up to this point there hasn't been a DC that has been able to take away Colt's bread-n-butter, namely Shipley over the middle and occassionally QC on a deeper pass.

exactly i do swallow my pride and say hes good but he throws bs passes... a lot of wide open slants because of blitzes and a lot of comeback routes... texas' pass plays are very simple... but he has :mad: been playing good this year... i really would like to see him get another pinched nerve again :D

Okie35
10/22/2008, 02:55 AM
In the biggest game of his season, in front of a national TV audience, McCoy won the game and Bradford lost. This is what people remember, not gaudy stats. The image in the fourth quarter of Bradford failing to move the ball is what people are left with, rather than his fabulous early play. Bradford couldn't have done more to help his team win, and he wasn't the reason they lost in any way, but fair or not, people are very fickle and favor the latest and greatest.

i remember an assload of penalties :mad: roughing the passer calls... and a fluke rule which caused an interception to get taken away... ill remember those forever...

OU_Sooners75
10/22/2008, 06:00 AM
No you don't...

They are pretty evenly matched.

I'm not saying Sam should be number one either.

No way Daniels even gets a 1 or 2 vote and Maclin is stealing a vote away from either Sam or Colt.

Sam is getting hosed with the two 3rd place votes and the one 4th place vote.

Colt getting a 3rd place vote is laughable IMO.

Right now Sam and Colt are the two best in NCAA Div IA.

The rest of them are just freeloading for a ride to NY.

Their votes do not count, so who cares?

crimson&cream
10/22/2008, 07:44 AM

rushing td - 6 tds

Not only that you hadn't even played a top 40 team until OU as the teams you beat up on were like The Virgin Mary' little sister's. Then we see Mizzo was not as good as everybody had been bragging about as the only fairly decent team they had played was Illinois. OU had played two 25 teams 3 now, so that is really the only game that gives you all any legitmacy. So hell yes you all stats should be good , but even then Colt stats weren't as good a Sam's head to head and your team wins. Jeeze.

Landthief 1972
10/22/2008, 09:43 AM

I disagree. Most voters don't watch the game, they just check stats and the W-L column in the paper right before filling out their ballot.

Statalyzer
10/22/2008, 11:02 AM

It's because he got sacked 4 times. Another "rushing attempt" was a botched handoff that he fell on. He actually attempted to run 9 times and gained 59 yards on those 9 carries. (No, I'm not saying sacks don't mean anything, but logically speaking they aren't really attempts to run the ball).