PDA

View Full Version : Will someone please explain how and why

Okla-homey
10/19/2008, 10:40 AM
Ball State is in the AP Top 25 and Tulsa isn't? Flippin' Ball State.

Tulsa: 77-35 victor over UTEP last night. Tulsa: 7-0. Tulsa: the nation's most productive offense. What have they got to do? Commit homicide on the field? Rip opposing teams legs off and beat them to death with them? Hello?

OUMedMan
10/19/2008, 11:05 AM
Is Tulsa getting any love from the midwest voters?

Okla-homey
10/19/2008, 11:16 AM
Is Tulsa getting any love from the midwest voters?

You mean the ones a resurgent TU would compete with for recruits? Apparently not.

BudSooner
10/19/2008, 11:18 AM
When does the poll come out? All I see is last weeks poll.

Heh, I said I wasn't going to Yahoo for sports/etc...but the fan polls have a hardon for TCU, they are ranked above usc. :D :D

TheLurker
10/19/2008, 11:20 AM
Tulsa is 19 in the coaches' poll
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/usatpoll.htm

BudSooner
10/19/2008, 11:21 AM
Well it's about ****ing time. ;)

Okla-homey
10/19/2008, 02:28 PM
#22 in today's AP Poll. Finally.:D :D :D :hot:

Not bad for the smallest D-1 school in the country.

bri
10/19/2008, 02:30 PM
With the coaches putting us at 19, the faint glimmer of hope returns that if we win out, maybe we can crack the BCS top 12 if everyone else keeps beating each other and TCU can continue to regulate sh*t in the Mountain West. Utah, YOU'RE NEXT!

Okla-homey
10/19/2008, 02:35 PM
With the coaches putting us at 19, the faint glimmer of hope returns that if we win out, maybe we can crack the BCS top 12 if everyone else keeps beating each other and TCU can continue to regulate sh*t in the Mountain West. Utah, YOU'RE NEXT!

And I think pounding Sooooie in Fayetteville on Nov. 1 will help garner TU 'spek too. TU's move into the Top 25 means Tulsa, OU and Boone State are all ranked for the first time in 63 years.

On Nov. 12, 1945, Oklahoma A&M (now Boone State) was No. 8, OU (5-3) was tied for 14th and TU (4-2) was No. 19.

OklahomaTuba
10/19/2008, 02:59 PM
I cannot wait for TU to beat the pig crap outta Arkincest.

MichiganSooner
10/19/2008, 03:03 PM
Ball State has beaten, among others, Indiana by 42-20. Indiana has been beaten by Illinois, Michigan State, Minnesota, and Iowa by similiar or lesser margins.

I went to Ball State's schedule and results to see who they had defeated. Then, I took it a step further and looked to see who those teams had played and defeated. Of course, Ball State is undefeated. Of the teams who lost to Ball State, those teams have beaten Cincinnati, Rutgers, Wake Forest, Army, Navy, Air Force, Syracuse and others.

I am not saying Ball State is an up and coming powerhouse but they give the same number of scholarships that we give. Their regional recruiting area of Illinois, Indiana, Ohio is about 2-3 times the population of Texas.

In the end, this week they are #22 and TU #19.

CORNholio
10/19/2008, 06:48 PM
Ball State has beaten, among others, Indiana by 42-20. Indiana has been beaten by Illinois, Michigan State, Minnesota, and Iowa by similiar or lesser margins.

I went to Ball State's schedule and results to see who they had defeated. Then, I took it a step further and looked to see who those teams had played and defeated. Of course, Ball State is undefeated. Of the teams who lost to Ball State, those teams have beaten Cincinnati, Rutgers, Wake Forest, Army, Navy, Air Force, Syracuse and others.

I am not saying Ball State is an up and coming powerhouse but they give the same number of scholarships that we give. Their regional recruiting area of Illinois, Indiana, Ohio is about 2-3 times the population of Texas.

In the end, this week they are #22 and TU #19.

Not exactly, Texas is the 2nd most populous state.
per wikipedia-- Illinois-12.8 mil
Indiana-6.35 mil
Ohio-11.5 mil
Total 30.6 mil

Texas- 23.9 mil
if you want to throw in oklahoma with 3.6 mil it comes to 27.5 mil. kind of a wash if you ask me.

bstuff1979
10/19/2008, 08:57 PM
Phill Steele had something not unlike a bit of a high school girl's crush on Ball State in his pre-season mag. Could be that some of the AP folks are going on some pre-season BCS buster "dark horse" hype, since it looks like Ball State may have had a bit more of it than Tulsa (they, TU, did lose a big-time QB. Never mind that they have a great QB this year, do you really expect some AP writer in Minnesota or New Jersey to pay attention?). In defense of Ball State, they do have a great QB of their own as well as a very solid coach and underrated league. I haven't kept up, but I think CMU was supposed to be fairly stout (within context) too.

StoopTroup
10/19/2008, 09:10 PM
Arkincest.

heh.

SPEK!

bluedogok
10/19/2008, 09:49 PM
And I think pounding Sooooie in Fayetteville on Nov. 1 will help garner TU 'spek too. TU's move into the Top 25 means Tulsa, OU and Boone State are all ranked for the first time in 63 years.

On Nov. 12, 1945, Oklahoma A&M (now Boone State) was No. 8, OU (5-3) was tied for 14th and TU (4-2) was No. 19.
I think it also helps that Ball State plays many games at Noon in the Big Ten region while TU is playing UTEP at 8 to 9 at night and rarely on TV.