PDA

View Full Version : My very first OU game to go to

MR2-Sooner86
10/19/2008, 10:17 AM
Yeah, you heard it right, this was my very first OU game to ever go to. Now you're probably asking yourself why that is and I'll tell you. I've never wanted to drive the distance to sit in the nose bleed when I could watch at home in comfort and have a good view. That and the fact I didn't know anybody with tickets. Well, this season a friend of mine got season tickets and they were 30 rows up in section 1 and he invited me to go along. I went with no objections.

First, people may call me crazy but does the stadium and field seem smaller in person? I know, I know, the stadium is pretty damn big but watching it on TV it just seems so much more massive than when you're actually sitting there. I remember sitting there and looking around thinking it seemed smaller and more confined. However, it have just been me.

Second, holy **** does the crowd get loud! I knew I was in for a treat when one half of the stadium yelled, "BOOMER!" and then the other half yelled, "SOONER!" Also, on defensive do people really yell! You never get that on TV and it's muted but when you're there, it's loud. I mean on several 3rd down plays the stadium was almost a defining roar.

Third, it was great to just sit around with other fans and talk football. It's also good to bitch and moan about refs, plays, defense, and things with other people who feel the same way :D

Finally, why do people leave? I know, the game was in the bag but why leave? I mean I didn't have to pay for my ticket and was watching a 'free' game but I didn't leave. I stayed until the final seconds ticked by before I got up. I mean if I were paying season tickets, I'd stay and get my money's worth out of the game I paid to see. Also, why not stay and enjoy the game? I know I was in no rush to get back to my car and was enjoying the moment. However, looking around I saw people heading out with 10 minutes left in the 4th. Maybe it's just me but it made no sense.

Anyway, I had a blast. It's definatly something you won't get at home at a watch party. It's also something you won't understand until you're there and experience it. However I'm hooked and can't wait to go back. I now know I enjoy going to the game than being at a kick *** watch party.

Also, I really enjoyed watching the drunk Kansas fan get thrown out for making an *** of himself :pop:

BermudaSooner
10/19/2008, 12:26 PM
I know what you mean brother, I moved 3,000 miles back to OK (and still work 3,000 miles away!) to go to the games. Well, and because the wife missed home, but that's a different story.

Wait until you go to your first OU/TX game, now that is amazing.

I actually thought the crowd was a bit subdued from normal.

Turd_Ferguson
10/19/2008, 12:33 PM
Agree with the "looks bigger on TV" thing. I'll say this though, if you can't walk in that stadium with big eyes, thinking of all the history that's taken place there, and have every hair on you body stand up at least a few times during the game.......you got's problems:D

MR2-Sooner86
10/19/2008, 01:33 PM
Agree with the "looks bigger on TV" thing. I'll say this though, if you can't walk in that stadium with big eyes, thinking of all the history that's taken place there, and have every hair on you body stand up at least a few times during the game.......you got's problems:D

I was actually thinking about that during the half as I sat there and looked around. I thought of all the games that just I've seen on TV and how cool it would have been to be there to see them.

Anyway I took a few (only 94) pictures yesterday that I think were good (for only a 3 megapixel camera). Can't wait to go again with hopefully a better camera.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o69/Muscletang/OU%20Kansas%20Game%2010-19-08/100_2117.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o69/Muscletang/OU%20Kansas%20Game%2010-19-08/100_2128.jpg

You know that drunk KU fan I was talking about...

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o69/Muscletang/OU%20Kansas%20Game%2010-19-08/100_2141.jpg

Here was Chris Brown's big run up to the endzone. I wish I would have waited just a second later to see him break free. Oh well.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o69/Muscletang/OU%20Kansas%20Game%2010-19-08/100_2145.jpg

Here was the touchdown pass. Again, if only I would have waited just a second later to take it.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o69/Muscletang/OU%20Kansas%20Game%2010-19-08/100_2148.jpg

Here's a fun game for you to play. Find the football. I know it's in there somewhere but I haven't found it yet.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o69/Muscletang/OU%20Kansas%20Game%2010-19-08/100_2150.jpg

Even though it was KU, I have to admit this one handed catch he made was pretty cool.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o69/Muscletang/OU%20Kansas%20Game%2010-19-08/100_2152.jpg

SoonerStormchaser
10/19/2008, 01:34 PM

I knew you had problems Turd, but I never would've guessed it was this!:P

85sooners
10/19/2008, 01:41 PM
glad you had a good time

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/19/2008, 02:03 PM
Were you the guy I overheard as I was walking to the game? He said he had his pictures taken with the Schooner and was surprised the ponies were so small and not "full-size horses."

MyT Oklahoma
10/19/2008, 02:17 PM
Congratulations but wait until the first time that you get Seats-for-Sooners tickets 6 rows up behind the opposing teams cheerleaders. Those seats make for great pics too.

Flagstaffsooner
10/19/2008, 04:18 PM
Were you the guy I overheard as I was walking to the game? He said he had his pictures taken with the Schooner and was surprised the ponies were so small and not "full-size horses."
:D

Turd_Ferguson
10/19/2008, 04:22 PM
Were you the guy I overheard as I was walking to the game? He said he had his pictures taken with the Schooner and was surprised the ponies were so small and not "full-size horses."Biggest damn dog I ever seen't.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/media/photo/2007-11/33606487.jpg

yermom
10/19/2008, 04:27 PM
Finally, why do people leave? I know, the game was in the bag but why leave? I mean I didn't have to pay for my ticket and was watching a 'free' game but I didn't leave. I stayed until the final seconds ticked by before I got up. I mean if I were paying season tickets, I'd stay and get my money's worth out of the game I paid to see. Also, why not stay and enjoy the game? I know I was in no rush to get back to my car and was enjoying the moment. However, looking around I saw people heading out with 10 minutes left in the 4th. Maybe it's just me but it made no sense.

to beat the traffic?

if it's so painful to sit in the stadium a little longer, why even come at all?

Turd_Ferguson
10/19/2008, 05:42 PM
to beat the traffic?

if it's so painful to sit in the stadium a little longer, why even come at all?to get back to the TG for some more OVJ?

yermom
10/19/2008, 05:45 PM
:dolemite:

1890MilesToNorman
10/19/2008, 08:58 PM
"Here's a fun game for you to play. Find the football. I know it's in there somewhere but I haven't found it yet."

Look right between the yellow uprights, just about half way up. I think that is the football. Almost straight left from the big number 35 in the stands.

guzziguy
10/19/2008, 09:46 PM
I was only a hundred and eleventy or so rows behind you in the upper deck. I think there was still a bit of ice up there from last winter's storm. Great game.

ouwasp
10/19/2008, 10:09 PM
my first game was WV back in '78. I was 15. Since then my Dad and I have usually made it to at least one game a yr....lotta good memories.

Last yr Dad and I made it to the Mizzou game (terrific). Then last June Dad had a heart attack... health hasn't been the same since. I doubt we make any more games together; he's 77.

But we have all those great memories. :)

beer4me
10/20/2008, 10:03 AM
First, people may call me crazy but does the stadium and field seem smaller in person? I know, I know, the stadium is pretty damn big but watching it on TV it just seems so much more massive than when you're actually sitting there. I remember sitting there and looking around thinking it seemed smaller and more confined. However, it have just been me.

Finally, why do people leave? :pop:

Yea that is common you cannot correctly judge size very well from tv because the lack of depth reference. I know when I was a kid and watched all the movies about Pearl Harbor and thought my gosh that place is BIG with all those ships moored their. Then the first time I went their is was like OMG this place is so TINY.

And standing on a carrier as you come into the harbor it feels like you can put your arm out and touch the docks.

I must admit I am one that left early Saturday (first time I never do leave early) but I had to leave with 10 minutes left on the clock to go to a wedding. Dang near was not able to go to game at all and that would have been a shame.

BOOMER SOONER

deweydw
10/20/2008, 11:25 AM
Congrats on your first game. Mine was the TCU game this year. You're right about the crowd noise. It was an awesome experience.

IB4OU2
10/20/2008, 11:41 AM

But they're the size of Clydesdales to some people......:D ;)

Lott's Bandana
10/20/2008, 08:46 PM
my first game was WV back in '78. I was 15. Since then my Dad and I have usually made it to at least one game a yr....lotta good memories.

Last yr Dad and I made it to the Mizzou game (terrific). Then last June Dad had a heart attack... health hasn't been the same since. I doubt we make any more games together; he's 77.

But we have all those great memories. :)

My Dad is also 77 and has had tix in that stadium since 1966, with the exception of a second combat tour in Vietnam in '69 (still kept the tix while there). I feel for you man, 'cause I know that day is coming and it will tear me up bad.

I shared this story with Steve Owens a few years ago, and whenever we run into him around town, he remembers my Dad and thanks him graciously for his support. Not bad for an Ohio State grad. ('53) (OU Masters '68)

Here's hoping you get some more time at a game with him, Wasp.

FILTHY
10/21/2008, 10:31 AM
I was 6 years old, when I went to my first OU game. And I still remember what it felt like to walk up the ramp to our seats, and to actually see the field for the first time. I've been going back ever since...its definately an addiction. I haven't missed a home game since 87' and havent missed a Texas game since 90'

I've got so many memories over the years....some good, some bad....but I wouldnt give them up for anything. I'm glad you got your first taste. Theres nothing like the atmosphere of Big time College Football.

Lott's Bandana
10/21/2008, 11:04 AM
I was 6 years old, when I went to my first OU game. And I still remember what it felt like to walk up the ramp to our seats, and to actually see the field for the first time. I've been going back ever since...its definately an addiction. I haven't missed a home game since 87' and havent missed a Texas game since 90'

I've got so many memories over the years....some good, some bad....but I wouldnt give them up for anything. I'm glad you got your first taste. Theres nothing like the atmosphere of Big time College Football.

Your first post certainly contradicts your username...

May I be the first to call you a ****ing n00b?

FILTHY
10/21/2008, 11:20 AM
Your first post certainly contradicts your username...

May I be the first to call you a ****ing n00b?

By all means...Call me whatever you like!!!!! Been posting on OUinsider for a long time...just now checkin soonerfans out.

And the username is just a name I use on most of my car enthuiast online forums. Because its what my personalized plate reads on my car. So, out of laziness or need for creativity....I just use that name on all forums I register to.

Carry On...from the noob.

Lott's Bandana
10/21/2008, 11:22 AM
Welcome...

Here's a hint.

If you see a several hundred page thread started by some fella named SicEm, just skip to the last page...

Trust me.

Dan Thompson
10/21/2008, 05:59 PM
I've only been to one game, but have been to the stadium a few times.

I remember being on the field in March, pretty chilly, I was the only person there, been a fan is the early 50's, so all the history and great games made t the quite sounds deafing.

I could almost hear the roar of the crowd. Kinda spooky.

olevetonahill
10/21/2008, 06:17 PM
By all means...Call me whatever you like!!!!! Been posting on OUinsider for a long time...just now checkin soonerfans out.

And the username is just a name I use on most of my car enthuiast online forums. Because its what my personalized plate reads on my car. So, out of laziness or need for creativity....I just use that name on all forums I register to.

Carry On...from the noob.

Oh and its nOOb, nOOb :D
welcome.

olevetonahill
10/21/2008, 06:18 PM
I've only been to one game, but have been to the stadium a few times.

I remember being on the field in March, pretty chilly, I was the only person there, been a fan is the early 50's, so all the history and great games made t the quite sounds deafing.

I could almost hear the roar of the crowd. Kinda spooky.

I wish you could make a few More games Bro.

crimson&cream
10/22/2008, 09:27 AM
My first game to go to was 1963 OUvsKU OU won 21-19. I was day out of the Air Force. It was Bud's last yr to coach and what a distinguished looking man on the sidelines.

swardboy
10/22/2008, 10:57 AM
I think that's the ball halfway between the goal posts and the "34" section sign, and about at the 4 o'clock position from the 34 sign....the refs seem to be looking there, and it's brown.