View Full Version : How we get to Big XII Champ

BermudaSooner
10/19/2008, 09:07 AM
If TX has only 1 loss.

If OSU beats TX, and then stays undefeated until OU

OU wins out

TX wins out other than OSU.

We go to the tiebreakers:

a) The winner of the game between two tied teams shall be the representative.

we have 3 tied teams, so move on

b) If three or more teams are tied, then the record of the tied teams will be compared in a mini round-robin, to determine the representative.

We each have the same record, so move on

c) If the teams remain tied, then there will be a comparison of the record of the tied teams within their division.

We each have the same record again, so move on

d) If the teams remain tied, then there will be a comparison of the record of the tied teams within their respective divisions, beginning with the next highest placed team(s) within the division and proceeding through the other placements in order of finish.

Assume next highest placed team is Tech, we each beat them, and Baylor and A&M, so move on.

e) If the teams remain tied, then there will be a comparison of the record of the tied teams against all common conference opponents (those common opponents that all tied teams have played).

No help here, would have beat them all, move on.

f) If the teams remain tied, then the representative will be the highest-ranked team in the first CNN/USA Today Top 25 coaches poll conducted following the completion of Big 12 regular-season conference play.

Here is where we get tie broken. OSU would have just been beaten by OU, so I assume they continue to be ranked the lowest of the 3. OU would then have the "better loss" but TX beat us. OU lost earliest, but only by 2 weeks. Hard to say, but we could sneak in this way.

g) If none of the teams are ranked in the poll, then the representative will be the team with the best overall winning percentage (excludes exempted games such as 12th games in Kickoff Classic, Hawaii, etc.).

h) If the teams remain tied, then the representative will be chosen by draw.

Source: Big 12 Conference office

None of this works though, if OSU loses to Tech, for example.

Would be fun to play out, but I really really want another shot at Texas.

IronHorseSooner
10/19/2008, 09:18 AM
If that scenario happened, we would likely go. texass would drop from a top their throne to just in front of us. OSU would pass both of us (they are undefeated, and they beat texass, we didn't). If we beat OSU, we would likely leapfrog texass, and OSU would drop. With the human polls, it will be hard to figure. OUr win and OSU's win were on enemy turf, texass's was on a neutral site. Depending on what happens, OSU could be #1 when we face them, and all 3 teams would have lost when they were/would be #1. All three teams have comparative schedules, but if Cincy and TCU win their respective conferences, that would certainly help our case.

BermudaSooner
10/19/2008, 09:43 AM
By the way, this also works with Tech.

tech beats UT

We beat Tech.

salth2o
10/19/2008, 10:18 AM
If we had some ham, we could have some ham and eggs...if we had some eggs.

SOONER STEAKER
10/19/2008, 10:21 AM
Let's just focus on winning out. If we don't, the only way you go to KC is as a UT/Mizzou fan.

Jacie
10/19/2008, 10:59 AM
Texas is halfway through their version of Red October.

Except that their secondary can be exploited at times, a characteristic shared by every team facing the now-prevalent spread offence, they don't or haven't shown enough weakness in any aspect of the game that another team (sand aggie and aggie lite) can exploit for a win.

Now would someone explain to me how Oklahoma meets them in the National Championship game?

JLEW1818
10/19/2008, 11:04 AM
Win out , and have penn and sec teams lose. and pray for the votes. A 1 loss sec champ would get in ahead of us i bet.

Iam4OUru
10/19/2008, 11:13 AM
Win out , and have penn and sec teams lose. and pray for the votes. A 1 loss sec champ would get in ahead of us i bet.

Don't forget a 1-loss USC.

JLEW1818
10/19/2008, 11:16 AM
ya, but I think eventually us winning against so many ranked teams will put us way beyond them.

ousooners182
10/19/2008, 11:46 AM
ya, but I think eventually us winning against so many ranked teams will put us way beyond them.
thank u for explainin this to ppl my gosh people keep on saying usc are ahead of us blah blah blah it doesnt matter right now once we play tech and okie state we will jump them so ppl quit whining

JLEW1818
10/19/2008, 11:48 AM
thank u for explainin this to ppl my gosh people keep on saying usc are ahead of us blah blah blah it doesnt matter right now once we play tech and okie state we will jump them so ppl quit whining

That's right! We are going to hear criticism for a while, just go to keep winning.

BermudaSooner
10/19/2008, 12:18 PM
If we had some ham, we could have some ham and eggs...if we had some eggs.

Get over yourself. This is an interesting situation that could play out. Unlikely but could, and I'm willing to bet very few on the board knew that the tie breaker could come down to the coaches poll.

Go back to the South Oval if you don't want to talk about football.