PDA

View Full Version : BRING MIKE BACK...........NOW!

possumfat
10/18/2008, 08:07 PM
Lets send him a one way ticket to Norman.

Position Limit
10/18/2008, 08:42 PM
do you think mike stoops is the only defensive coordinator in all of football capable of doing a better job than venebles? i get so tired of this myopic decision process. mike is never coming back. even if he was looking for a job, what makes you think he is the best applicant to take over the defensive duties? this league has changed dramatically since he left 5 long years ago. people like you live in a static universe incapable of dynamic thought process. there a plenty of guys out there that could attain better results than BV. texas seems to get one every few years. why dont you stop obsessing over mike stoops and start thinking outside the box.

jage
10/18/2008, 09:04 PM
haha, owned!

Remembering Tom Stidham
10/18/2008, 09:06 PM
This is Mike's last season at AZ. Texas has a fine Def Coor but he may not be available.

Collier11
10/18/2008, 09:07 PM
Do you idiots realize that the days of teams giving up 10ppg is over! This Big 12 has so many good offenses and it isnt about to stop, get a clue

Position Limit
10/18/2008, 09:12 PM
This is Mike's last season at AZ. Texas has a fine Def Coor but he may not be available.

what does any of this have to do with the price of tea in china?

Edmond Sooner
10/18/2008, 09:12 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v507/ColdGold/images-1.jpg

Done.

soonervet
10/18/2008, 09:15 PM
position limit=prick

Curly Bill
10/18/2008, 09:15 PM
Do you idiots realize that the days of teams giving up 10ppg is over! This Big 12 has so many good offenses and it isnt about to stop, get a clue

Could we maybe stop people from scoring over 30 in back-to-back games?

...and don't give me season stats -- we've played 3 teams that even had a pulse.

Collier11
10/18/2008, 09:17 PM
Mike Stoops isnt going to and couldnt do much better

Curly Bill
10/18/2008, 09:18 PM
Mike Stoops isnt going to and couldnt do much better

He's not going to, but he could do a hell of a lot better.

The Remnant
10/18/2008, 09:19 PM
I didn't know that West Virginia, Boise State and USC were in the Big 12. I guess I am an idiot who needs to get a clue.

85sooners
10/18/2008, 09:21 PM
:D
position limit=prick

Collier11
10/18/2008, 09:24 PM
I didn't know that West Virginia, Boise State and USC were in the Big 12. I guess I am an idiot who needs to get a clue.

I guess you didnt see the A&M, osu, and Nebraska games in 01 and 02

Position Limit
10/18/2008, 09:27 PM

who said anything about not giving up 10ppg? how about basics? attitude? leadership? adjustments? last week we made shipley a world beater. today it was briscoe. broke a school record. this defense is getting great at that. how about somebody with more experience than position coach a kansas state and position coach at ou. and how do you know a defense in this league cant hold a team to 10points? look what texas is doing as i type this.

sooneron
10/18/2008, 09:28 PM
I guess you didnt see the A&M, osu, and Nebraska games in 01 and 02

SHUT IT!!! Mike is a defensive GOD!!! A GOD, I TELL YOU!!!!!! Those were just games where he was suckering in the next opponent.!~!!!

possumfat
10/18/2008, 09:34 PM
to be honest it doesn't have to be Mike............any type of change would be acceptable at this point.

MI Sooner
10/18/2008, 09:34 PM
Hey you sarcastic ****** bags, what'd we give up to Nebbish in 01, 20 points? ****ing apologists for ****ty defense.

sooneron
10/18/2008, 09:35 PM
No, you said Mike.

MALE918
10/18/2008, 09:39 PM
10 hell, how bout less than 35. Watching the tex/mizz game and texas doesn't seem to have a problem holding that high powered offense down at all. they have 17 now and i have to ask myself how after the a** raping they've gotten.

possumfat
10/18/2008, 09:39 PM
Your correct I did say Mike..........some say that is not possible for him to return and it ain't gonna happen. Since we know that in advance and the Big 12 has changed to the point that his defensive skills would be worthless maybe we should make Josh the head coach and let Bob do the defense.

aurorasooner
10/18/2008, 09:46 PM
Arizona 6 (EP coming) Cal 7 start of the 2nd Qtr. FCS-Pacific. Arizona just scored.

The Remnant
10/18/2008, 09:47 PM
Collier 11, I am not saying that we should bring back MS. My point is the OU defense seems to have problems far beyond high-powered B12 offenses. What is saving OU right now is Sam Bradford. He is something special.

Crimson Kid
10/18/2008, 09:49 PM
Collier 11, I am not saying that we should bring back MS. My point is the OU defense seems to have problems far beyond high-powered B12 offenses. What is saving OU right now is Sam Bradford. He is something special.

Umm guys have to be getting open for bradford to get the ball to them, sam is is great qb, but we have some great wr's also.,

snp
10/18/2008, 09:49 PM

I guess you are since you think BV is solely responsible for all those weeks of planning. What was Bob doing that entire time?

And if you think we lost to Boise and USC because of our defense, then you don't know what you're talking about. Our offense put us in position to lose those games with all the red zone turnovers and no production in the first half.

The Remnant
10/18/2008, 09:53 PM
Any time your opponent hangs 55 on you, some of that is due to your defense. However, I never blamed BV.

Collier11
10/18/2008, 09:53 PM

we have had issues, my problem was with everyone blaming BV, that **** is getting old! Stoops forte is D isnt it?

Curly Bill
10/18/2008, 09:55 PM
we have had issues, my problem was with everyone blaming BV, that **** is getting old! Stoops forte is D isnt it?

It ain't seeming like it. ;)

sooneron
10/18/2008, 09:56 PM

I can hear what you're saying, but you may want to repeat it to yourself. Our defense is having trouble with high powered offenses. Think about it. Then take a look at the depth chart on soonersports and try to figure out how many guys on there started more than 4 games at their position last year.

Position Limit
10/18/2008, 09:57 PM
I guess you are since you think BV is solely responsible for all those weeks of planning. What was Bob doing that entire time?

And if you think we lost to Boise and USC because of our defense, then you don't know what you're talking about. Our offense put us in position to lose those games with all the red zone turnovers and no production in the first half.

you're right. BV is not soley responsible. it's bob's fault and it's BV's. feel better now? can we please get a new defensive coordinator now?

Position Limit
10/18/2008, 10:01 PM

stoop's forte was defense 10 years ago. 10 years ago he came in ahead of the game. he also brought an offense with him that was ahead of the game. times change, but he hasnt. you have to stay ahead of the curve these days to stay on top. i will say one the on mack brown's behalf. he as learned the value of this curve when it comes to defense.

The Remnant
10/18/2008, 10:13 PM
This is my first time posting on this board, so I hope I didn't offend anybody with my opinions. However, if what some of you are saying is correct, and that the defensive performance seems to be related to a lack of experience, then we should see improvement as the Sooners work there way through the B12 conference.

sooneron
10/18/2008, 10:15 PM
This is my first time posting on this board, so I hope I didn't offend anybody with my opinions. However, if what some of you are saying is correct, and that the defensive performance seems to be related to a lack of experience, then we should see improvement as the Sooners work there way through the B12 conference.

We could lose the entire front 7 to injury and the same people would be saying the same thing about BV needing to go.

Curly Bill
10/18/2008, 10:19 PM

If our defensive problems were mostly about experience we wouldn't see the same problems year after year since BV took over. You were right to be critical of BV, he has not, and is not getting the job done.

Curly Bill
10/18/2008, 10:19 PM
We could lose the entire front 7 to injury and the same people would be saying the same thing about BV needing to go.

Years of observation have cemented this idea, not any new happening.

MALE918
10/18/2008, 10:37 PM
to be honest it doesn't have to be Mike............any type of change would be acceptable at this point.

Try these butch davis - has pro and college exp, won championships in both.
charlie strong - excellent recruiter and knows the se very well and puts out a solid, aggressive d.
corwin brown - again pro and college exp and a great recruiter, excellent teacher.
lance thompson - a fantastic recruiter and puts out very opportunistic defenses (aggressive and creates turnovers) also presents material in a way the player can grasp easily.

I'm not about firing bv but a new way of looking at things couldn't hurt. this also makes our opponenents have to re-evaluate how we attack them instead of knowing exactly what they are going to get. we also need some help in recruiting on the d side.

while we're at it let's bring in norm chow as o-coord. we need more of a chess player in that position. there doesn't seem to be any future thought in wilson's game calling.

HopeSpringsEternal
10/18/2008, 10:56 PM

Speaking of idiots, do you enjoy excusing shoddy play by the OU defense simply on the basis that the days of 10ppg are over? Is that the sum ability for you to see what's going on? If it is, perhaps you should take a look at getting a little bit of a clue yourself.

John Kochtoston
10/18/2008, 10:58 PM
while we're at it let's bring in norm chow as o-coord. we need more of a chess player in that position. there doesn't seem to be any future thought in wilson's game calling.

Yeah, because this 674 yards of total offense just isn't going to cut it. :rolleyes:

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2008-2009/07_ku.html#GAME.TEM

HopeSpringsEternal
10/18/2008, 11:07 PM
If our defensive problems were mostly about experience we wouldn't see the same problems year after year since BV took over. You were right to be critical of BV, he has not, and is not getting the job done.

This is the thing that puzzles me about some people. They simply walk around making up excuses about how the defense was left bare by Mike, or they lost this player or that player, or the grass was too long or too short, the defense is out of shape, the defense is young. They blame everything but the one single entity that is the common thread throughout it all, BV.

I've got news for you folks, you don't have to be a 5 star player to have great fundamentals. You don't have to be a 5 star player to be in position, to understand your responsibilities, to know how the defense works, to know that your sole goal in life is to take care of YOUR duties and not worry about someone else's because they are doing the same, you don't have to be an all world athlete to outwork or out hustle your opponent. You don't have to be an Adonis to be in shape for the season or wrap up on a tackle. NONE of that requires that you have a lot of talent, but yet OU's defense is severely lacking in all of it because the D coordinator is overwhelmed by his job. But that's ok, I look forward to the next post filled with vapid steaming piles of BS excuses for a guy that doesn't deserve his job.

TMcGee86
10/18/2008, 11:18 PM
Syracuse should fire their coach soon.

He wasn't bad as ut's DC.

just sayin...

salth2o
10/18/2008, 11:42 PM
Zona is kicking some Bear a$$ right now. Please cover the +2.5, I have a few "diet cokes" riding on this one. TIA

MALE918
10/19/2008, 01:44 PM
of total offense juYeah, because this 674 yards st isn't going to cut it.

yeah 674 of Total offense = includes ko returns and punt returns. Actual rushing and passing equals 491. that's not bad but let's look at how wonderful of a d kansas has and how we rank against their offensive juggernaut opponents this year.

La Tech = 538 yds
sam houston st = 528 yds
oklahoma = 491 yds
usf = 442 yds
iowa st = 436 yds
colorado = 407 yds
fiu = 384 yds

hell against a d like that i would hope that we could put together atleast 491 yds.
now to my point that he does not call plays with the future in mind. setting teams up for future failure. we had a great deal of trouble moving the ball on tx in the second half putting up 14 points but needed a running into the kicker call to extend one of those scoring drives. we only put up 48 rushing yards in the game. by coach wilson's own admission he gots caught up in his receiving options. that statement hints to an underlying issue that he is simmore ply a play caller and not a tactition - a tactition being more suited to o-coord than a simple play caller. any joe jock and harry can call plays it takes of a tactition to be an o-coord (especially against very good d teams) :rolleyes: how do u not no this?:confused:

85Sooner
10/19/2008, 01:46 PM
Bob would never have him back because it would reveal some things that none of us want to contemplate

BASSooner
10/19/2008, 02:45 PM
Getting Mike or not, if we still keep this same staff (on defense), we will remain incomplete and inconsistent like we have been the past 5 years. Our experience with this team, poor coverage and tackling (at the KU game) should be an indicator that change is necessary at this point

OUmillenium
10/19/2008, 04:12 PM
Mike would be cool, but any real Defensive Coordinator would be just fine too.

PLaw
10/19/2008, 04:44 PM

This is really tired. Mike is a head coach in a BCS conference. He gone, been gone, and he ain't comin' back unless he gets fired and it's on a temporary basis.

Get over it, brother.

BOOMER

Collier11
10/20/2008, 03:20 PM
BTW, we have the highest ranked D in the Big 12 and the 3rd best scoring D in the Big 12...I guess Muschamp and the rest need to be fired as well

All this is after we have played TCU, Cincy, UT, Baylor, and KU who are all pretty good offenses

PalmBeachSooner1
10/20/2008, 03:31 PM

They do it in the SEC all the time.

PalmBeachSooner1
10/20/2008, 03:32 PM

They do it in the SEC all the time. There's your clue.

Johnny Utah
10/20/2008, 03:42 PM
They do it in the SEC all the time. There's your clue.

That they do, and not because they have "horrible offenses in the SEC", but because an aggressive, lights-out defense seems to be a top priority of the teams in that conference.

Collier11
10/20/2008, 03:44 PM
Look at the offenses in the SEC compared to the Big 12, the Big 12 has 5 of the top 10 offenses in the nation, 6 of the top 15, and 7 of the top 20...theres your clue

OUmillenium
10/20/2008, 03:46 PM
Maybe that is the result of less than stellar defenses in the Big 12 and excellent defenses (coaching) in the SEC?

Dunno, just sayin

Collier11
10/20/2008, 04:00 PM
Maybe that is the result of less than stellar defenses in the Big 12 and excellent defenses (coaching) in the SEC?

Dunno, just sayin

NO

badger
10/20/2008, 04:06 PM
I know it sounds good to have Mikey back, but I hope we can all look past our selfish desires for the best defensive coordinator in the country to see our more selfish desires of another national championship.

Zona must beat USC this weekend.

Doing so would guarantee Mikey more time at Zona, but also knock USC out of Pac-10 supremacy (and btw, the Pac 10 sucks) and also out of title contention.

For Mikey's sake, as well as our championship's sake, go (ARIZONA, not KSU) Wildcats!

Collier11
10/20/2008, 04:16 PM
Second

Collier11
10/20/2008, 04:16 PM
IMHO the thing that Mike had on BV hands down was the ability to scheme a game plan for bowl and championship games that was unmatched and unpredictable, BV in bowl games has been bad

C&CDean
10/20/2008, 04:53 PM
Yet another POS that needs closing. If you got something to say, say it in jkm's thread or STFU. Jeez.