PDA

View Full Version : Nice reality check articles on Venables.

adoniijahsooner
10/18/2008, 12:39 AM
Tramel compares Venables and Muschamp from last week, Saying while people have called for BV's head, will has been lauded as a hero, even though the offensive stats are the same.

http://www.newsok.com/article/3312687

tooslow
10/18/2008, 02:40 AM
Bottom line is Muschamp's D held when the game was on the line, our D did not. :( We had the lead in the 4th, well after the inevitable break down on special teams.

tulsaoilerfan
10/18/2008, 02:51 AM
While Tramel does have a point about the offenses, a good Sooner team should NEVER allow anyone to score 38 points on their defense, and i don't give a damn what kind of offense they are running nor whom their QB is; there isn't a single skill position player at Texas that would start for OU

tooslow
10/18/2008, 06:04 AM
While Tramel does have a point about the offenses, a good Sooner team should NEVER allow anyone to score 38 points on their defense,

EXACTLY!! I still do not think Texas will be the best offense we see this year. The good news is that was the best D we will face all year, so we should at least be able to outscore opponents from here on out. Unless we can scheme better(or execute??), it may be another post-season meltdown.

badger
10/18/2008, 07:36 AM
Bottom line is Muschamp's D held when the game was on the line, our D did not. :( We had the lead in the 4th, well after the inevitable break down on special teams.

His D also didn't lose their general for the season, and they had a running game.

sooneron
10/18/2008, 08:06 AM
His D also didn't lose their general for the season, and they had a running game.

Don't bother. Reason is pointless.

However-

I think Venables needs to change the defensive philosophy and he needs to adjust better at halftime. The dbs/lbs were way too easy to read on the blitz. Back when we had Roy, Derrick, Michael Thompson, Brodney Poole, we disguised the blitz better. Two beats before the snap last week, I knew who was coming on the blitz. I would bet that Colt knew three beats before the snap. I would like to see him use more stunts, delayed blitzes, and the twists that we saw a few years ago with Cody.

IronHorseSooner
10/18/2008, 08:08 AM
His D also didn't lose their general for the season, ...

Ding, Ding, Ding- We have a winner. More than the bogus officiating, more than the lack of running game, more than the horrible special teams, that was the reason for the loss. With RR, there was little success over the middle. Without RR, it was a field day. No offense to Crow, but he was lost. You could put that on the coaches- not having a back-up ready, especially with RR's injuries. I think Robinson was in as back-up on texass Interception-gate (Part II), and did a nice job on the read over the middle.

tooslow
10/18/2008, 08:10 AM

Totally agree with you, but we have to play with the players available. I'm hoping the D will be spewing venom later today after hearing about how "poorly" they played. Kinda like the opposite of when a team reads about how good they are, and they think they can just show up and win. It's been a while since I've seen us consistently play good teams while having a big chip on our shoulder. At times, yes, but not consistently.

sooneron
10/18/2008, 08:11 AM
You could put that on the coaches- not having a back-up ready, especially with RR's injuries. I think Robinson was in as back-up on texass Interception-gate (Part II), and did a nice job on the read over the middle.

Egg zachery!:texan:

I want to see more of Lamont.

http://www.tvacres.com/images/sanford.jpg

sooneron
10/18/2008, 08:12 AM
Totally agree with you, but we have to play with the players available. I'm hoping the D will be spewing venom later today after hearing about how "poorly" they played. Kinda like the opposite of when a team reads about how good they are, and they think they can just show up and win. It's been a while since I've seen us consistently play good teams while having a big chip on our shoulder. At times, yes, but not consistently.

ESPiN is doing a pretty good job of bagging on them... more in about 5 min.

tooslow
10/18/2008, 08:18 AM
ESPiN is doing a pretty good job of bagging on them... more in about 5 min.

:D

Funny how these paid "experts" seem to be no different than us fans giving our own opinions. Anyone notice before the Texas game that not one of the mainstream sports sites(CNNSI, ESPN, Sportsline, FoxSports, etc) had picked Texas to win the RRS? Those same sites are now saying we are one dimensional along with a weak D. What a difference a weak makes. If we blow KU out, which I think we will by at least 24, half of those clowns will be back on the wagon.

kingsby
10/18/2008, 08:53 AM
Tramel is a knucklehead ... the point is even though the D starts were identical with TU ... Muschamp does not have a 4 year history of his defense leaving 35 -40 point crap piles two to three times a season ... every season. Anyone here doubt that there is another 40 point steamer coming this season from BV and the defense

You think Muschamp would have been hired by Texas if he had the same body of work as Venebales.

I am really starting to wonder if the media is afraid to speak out against Stoops and company for fear of losing press credentials.

adoniijahsooner
10/18/2008, 09:48 AM
What concerns me is that we keep disqualifying certain people at certain postitions, because they cant "pick up the defense". BV needs to change the D to the personel, instead of trying to squeeze everyone into his box. JR Bryant runs a 4.3 and weighs 220, but he cant see the field? If he were at miami or usc he would be on the field.

1890MilesToNorman
10/18/2008, 10:02 AM
Please send your resume for Defensive Coordinator to:

University of Oklahoma
Norman, OK

Apparently there are dozens of qualified applicants in this forum. Be sure to include all the armchair DC experience you may have.

Collier11
10/18/2008, 10:09 AM
I love BV but we continue to get burned by plays over and over and cant adjust, cant hold 4th quarter leads, and give up more than 40 in big games...its getting old even for me

cheezyq
10/18/2008, 11:10 AM
Yet another reason not to read any of Tramel's garbage.

The bottom line is this - Venables is HIGHLY inconsistent. We do great against most teams simply because they're outmanned. But when we face an offense with comparable talent, or a coordinator who has a knack for exploiting weaknesses, our defense folds.

The answer is simple, and it doesn't include firing Venables. Demote him to a positional coach, yet allowing him to make suggestions on the overall game plan, and find someone who can get our players in the right positions consistently. It worked well with Mike Stoops, and I'm sure it would work if we allowed another DC to come in and take over.

Of course...that won't happen, but it's nice to dream.

adoniijahsooner
10/18/2008, 11:42 AM

University of Oklahoma
Norman, OK

Apparently there are dozens of qualified applicants in this forum. Be sure to include all the armchair DC experience you may have.

tried it, but im missing the most important qualification; being a friend of stoops.

cheezyq
10/18/2008, 12:54 PM

University of Oklahoma
Norman, OK

It doesn't take a lot of coaching experience to examine the results on the field and make an educated opinion. Therefore your post = :rolleyes:

JLEW1818
10/18/2008, 12:56 PM
GUYS GUYS we have a game today.

tulsaoilerfan
10/18/2008, 02:18 PM
GUYS GUYS we have a game today.

We do? Somehow i don't think what we are talking about on here makes much of a difference in today's outcome:D

HopeSpringsEternal
10/18/2008, 06:41 PM
tried it, but im missing the most important qualification; being a friend of stoops.

You should remedy that immediately. Then you can suck at your job and still get paid.

snp
10/18/2008, 07:12 PM
What concerns me is that we keep disqualifying certain people at certain postitions, because they cant "pick up the defense". BV needs to change the D to the personel, instead of trying to squeeze everyone into his box. JR Bryant runs a 4.3 and weighs 220, but he cant see the field? If he were at miami or usc he would be on the field.

Hahahaha you can't be serious

Curly Bill
10/18/2008, 11:28 PM

University of Oklahoma
Norman, OK

This post = http://thecraptastics.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/fail.jpg

TMcGee86
10/18/2008, 11:42 PM
I think it's somewhat intellectually dishonest to list ut's 4 td's compared to OUr 5 and not mention the other three ut scoring drives.

Vaevictis
10/18/2008, 11:49 PM

I'm no car mechanic, but it doesn't take one to know that there's something wrong when there's smoke coming out from under the hood.

lloyd45
10/18/2008, 11:56 PM
I think the Sooners have more talent on their side of the D then Texas does. I think thats why Muschamp gets credit. No one expected Texas' D with two freshmen and two sophs starting in the secondary to play as well as they have. I know I didn't.

tooslow
10/19/2008, 08:48 AM
I think the Sooners have more talent on their side of the D then Texas does. I think thats why Muschamp gets credit. No one expected Texas' D with two freshmen and two sophs starting in the secondary to play as well as they have. I know I didn't.

You get what you pay for. Texas did what they had to do in order to have the best chance of winning a National Championship. They went out and got one of the best, if not the best, D-Coordinator in college football. Something not working right? Muschamp will completely change strategy during the game, not just a minor change. Can you imagine what it will be like when Texas gets better talent on defense? Their front four are good, but that's about it.

We're just having an average year on defense. Everyone seems to forget that was a big question mark at the beginning of the year. The talent seems to be there, but the execution is off for whatever reason. We never played any real offensive juggernauts until Texas. Hell, KU moved the ball with ease for long stretches. Like TT, we've been reduced to just try and outscore people this year, which will work on just about every team on our schedule.

BoonesFarmSooner
10/19/2008, 09:28 AM

Agreed. And Texas defense is more physical than ours right now and appear to play with more intensity.

badger
10/19/2008, 09:39 AM
Please don't turn into the ABC announcers.

Let's face it: Those announcers do NOT make Bob Stoops, nor Brent Venables money, and if they really knew football and coaching schemes like they seemed to suggest that they did, they would be COACHING and not commentating.

I'm not going to suggest the same thing about anybody here (YES I AM) that if you could do a better job than BV and BS you would have a job coaching (why DON'T you have a job coaching?) and you would be proving your worth in front of the thousands in attendance and the millions watching at home (pressure, pressure!) instead of proving your ignorance from an announcing booth saying that the possession is "Kansas basketball" (KU for 3! The shot's up! ...through the uprights...) and eventually resort to noting how long the game is taking (next week, we go for FIVE hours!) instead of anything insightful (like Mangino's waist size).

So anyways, I'm not saying that the criticism here reminds me a lot of ABC commentators during the game yesterday (ARGGGGGH) but please remember that there's a lot of football left to be played and of all the games played thus far, we've looked pretty good... No. 4/6 in the nation good :)

yermom
10/19/2008, 04:32 PM
While Tramel does have a point about the offenses, a good Sooner team should NEVER allow anyone to score 38 points on their defense, and i don't give a damn what kind of offense they are running nor whom their QB is; there isn't a single skill position player at Texas that would start for OU

see OU-Texass '99 and OU-OSU '02

lloyd45
10/19/2008, 04:45 PM
The thing about Texas' D this year is that our front 4 is completely dominating giving Muschamp the ability to not have to blitz to get pressure so he's able to let the linbackers just run zone. Because of that, he doesn't have to put all the pressure on our young secondary to play man and is able to use linebackers for a soft zone.

I knew Orakpo was being overlooked coming into the season but I didn't expect him to have the season he's having. He's the most dominant D-lineman in college football right now.

Jdog
10/19/2008, 08:35 PM

what about Texas scoring 10 unanswered points before just before the half

OUmillenium
10/20/2008, 01:12 AM
Tramel is a knucklehead ... the point is even though the D starts were identical with TU ... Muschamp does not have a 4 year history of his defense leaving 35 -40 point crap piles two to three times a season ... every season. Anyone here doubt that there is another 40 point steamer coming this season from BV and the defense

You think Muschamp would have been hired by Texas if he had the same body of work as Venebales.

I am really starting to wonder if the media is afraid to speak out against Stoops and company for fear of losing press credentials.

That's what really scares me. Texas Tech or OSUx could drop 40-50 on us. And if we have a couple of turnovers or special teams blunders, our offense won't be able to keep up. :mad:

OUmillenium
10/20/2008, 01:20 AM
The thing about Texas' D this year is that our front 4 is completely dominating giving Muschamp the ability to not have to blitz to get pressure so he's able to let the linbackers just run zone. Because of that, he doesn't have to put all the pressure on our young secondary to play man and is able to use linebackers for a soft zone.

I knew Orakpo was being overlooked coming into the season but I didn't expect him to have the season he's having. He's the most dominant D-lineman in college football right now.

Exactly, but the OU defensive front is not getting the same pressure(on Colt anyway) and we are still sitting in zone wasting players instead of outnumbering the O at the line of scrimmage. Dink us to death and kill us when we fail to execute/tackle.:texan: ugh

lloyd45
10/20/2008, 01:34 AM
Exactly, if you're not getting pressure you have to blitz. Any qb will pick you apart.

badger
10/20/2008, 09:13 AM
what about Texas scoring 10 unanswered points before just before the half

Well, it appears as though NP posted this, because I don't remember posting this, but :mack: Let me answer that one for NP. :mack:

Ryan got dinged in the first half. I would also attribute the defense slowing down "just before the half" as a sign of fatigue. NP's dad was saying that it was like 1999 all over again under the hyper-minded Mike Leach, who will score on you in 30 seconds, leaving the defense on the field for five... but the D will need to return to the field in 30 seconds time to stay on the field five more minutes, as the O just can't stop scoring so fast!

Sound about right to you?

madillsoonerfan5353
10/20/2008, 10:40 AM

But all we hear is that the 2nd team guys are soo close to being starters talent wise!! :confused:

badger
10/20/2008, 10:49 AM
But all we hear is that the 2nd team guys are soo close to being starters talent wise!! :confused:

Ok, then - let's use a comparison like this...

Sam Bradford is the starting quarterback, a Heisman candidate, one of the best (I'd like to think THE best) at his position in the country.

His backups include Joey Hazle, a great juco transfer who would be a solid starter with enough time to practice around the starters - perhaps not in the same league as Bradford, but he can still lead and he has a good arm on him.

His other backup is Landry Jones, who may be Sam Bradford in a few a years, but has some youthful issues to work through as far as experience on the college level and practice with the starters.

(Note to Mr. Lawyer Jones, father of Landry: This is by no means a knock on Landry, whom we all love dearly and would never dream of saying a bad word about, because of what a wonderful person and athlete he is and how much potential he has to be the greatest in the game... and please don't sue)

The difference, of course, is the practice time. Yes, our second-third stringers are good... but they aren't Heisman candidates because they haven't taken the same amount of snaps in practices and games.

Why is this a feasible comparison? Well, Sam Bradford is the starting quarterback on offense, and until Texas, Ryan Reynolds was the starting quarterback on defense.

May RR get well soon :(

NormanPride
10/20/2008, 11:19 AM
Don't feed the trolls, hon.

badger
10/20/2008, 11:22 AM
Don't feed the trolls, hon.

But, deeeeearrrrr, if the trolls are not fed after digging all sorts of holes in our yard and chewing apart those old bathroom rugs we left out back, they would starve to death! I thought you liked the trolls we adopted! I know they're mutt trolls and they bite occasionally, used to accident on floors indoors and try to pounce on you when the door opens, but they're such CUTE trolls!

:P

Stoop Dawg
10/20/2008, 12:00 PM
NP's dad was saying that it was like 1999 all over again under the hyper-minded Mike Leach, who will score on you in 30 seconds, leaving the defense on the field for five... but the D will need to return to the field in 30 seconds time to stay on the field five more minutes, as the O just can't stop scoring so fast!

Sound about right to you?

Not really. The D doesn't *have* to stay on the field for five more minutes. They could, you know, make the other team punt ... or something.

I'm not bagging on our D. Far from it. But I don't get people who blame the offense for the "forcing" the defense to be on the field. The only one's who can get the defense off the field is - the defense. Even if the offense goes 3-and-out on every single possession, the defense would still only *have* to be on the field half the game. Now, having the offense chew some clock and get some first downs is a welcome benefit to the defense. But if the defense is on the field too much, they need to look at themselves for the answer as to "why"?

stoops the eternal pimp
10/20/2008, 04:53 PM
how bout this one dean?

C&CDean
10/20/2008, 04:55 PM
Sure, why not?