PDA

View Full Version : My Absentee Voting Experience

VeeJay
10/17/2008, 09:17 PM
..just concluded. We (Mrs. VJ and I) are voting absentee ballot in Broward County, FL (Ft. Lauderdale area).

A poster from TideFans PM'd me a link a couple of days ago from the Howard Stern Show, where their reporter was asking people in the Bronx (and I have no reason to believe Florida voters are much brighter than their Bronx brethren) routine questions. Many answered that yes, Obama made a good selection with Sarah Palin as his vice presidential running mate. Similarly, many answered that Joe Biden as V.P. probably would not help the McCain candidacy. This is scary that people are voting who are such ill-informed. But, since Mickey Mouse has been registered, one gentleman has registered 73 times with payouts of cigarettes, and a seven year old child has been registered, I can't say I am surprised.

So, with a voter say, with this level of insight, I wonder how they would vote for these Broward Co. ballot choices:

1. The Charter currently provides that the Management and Efficiency Study Committee shall convene every six (6) years. It is scehduled to convene next in 2010. Shall the Charter be amended to require the Management and Efficiency Study Committee to meet in 2009 and every six (6) years thereafter in order to provide for a one (1) year hiatus between the meeting of the Charter Review Commission and the Management and Efficiency Study Commission?

2. Authorizes the Legislature, by general law, to prohibit consideration of changes of improvements to residential real property which increase resistance to wind damage and installation of renewable energy source devices as factors in assessing the property's value for ad calorem taxation purposes. Effective upon adoption, repeals the existing renewable energy source device exemption no longer in effect.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

I love the way this one is worded:
Proposing an amendment to the State Constitution to delete provisions authorizing the Legislature to regulate or prohibit.... Uh...can you be more vague?

And how 'bout this 'un? - an additional piece of paper is in my packet that says:
ATTENTION VOTER: A candidate in the race for Circuit Judge, 17th Circuit, Group 3, has been removed from the ballot by court order dated September 24, 2008. Please be advised that:
A vote cast for Bernard Isaac "Bernie" Bober will be counted for Bernard Isaac "Bernie" Bober. K! I'm sure Mr. Bober will be delighted to learn of this.

As for my presidential choice, I actually flipped a coin in my office and marked my selection on the results of that. I hope I never have to make such an uninspired choice for president again. :(

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/18/2008, 10:30 AM
Is this you talking, or a quote from someone else?

"As for my presidential choice, I actually flipped a coin in my office and marked my selection on the results of that. I hope I never have to make such an uninspired choice for president again."

SoonerStormchaser
10/18/2008, 10:49 AM
Seriously...if you can't make an honest, INFORMED decision for Prez...just leave that section blank. That's what I'm gonna do on a few of the votes in November.
IMO, flipping a coin just nullifies an informed vote for either side.

VeeJay
10/18/2008, 02:30 PM
I am quite informed, and yes I did flip a coin.

As I have stated before, I am sorely disappointed there is no lesser of two evils this time around.

SicEmBaylor
10/18/2008, 03:14 PM
I am quite informed, and yes I did flip a coin.

As I have stated before, I am sorely disappointed there is no lesser of two evils this time around.

You should have voted for Bob Barr.

Also, the American people are exceedingly ignorant. After making that first post can you honestly say you don't agree with me that people should first pass a basic citizenship test before being allowed to register to vote?

This idea of universal suffrage and encouraging any moron off the street to vote just for the sake of voting is destroying the nation and represents a much much larger threat than Al-Queada or any other terrorist organization.

VeeJay
10/18/2008, 10:35 PM
I agree with what you say there SicEm. I strongly considered Barr and in retrospect a vote for him would have been the principled thing to do. In reality, though, a vote for Barr would have been like a vote for Perot in '92 or '96. A waste.

Although flipping a damned coin is a waste, too. But I honestly can't say I believe a freeking word either of these goobers are throwing out there. Hey, I done my civic duty.....