PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to hate traveling

OUstudent4life
10/17/2008, 02:56 PM
So...I and thousands of other students will be traveling across the US for the next 3 months looking for our residency spots. I really have no idea where I and my wife will end up...

The "match" pretty much assures 99.9% medical students get a residency position (80% of statistics are made up on the spot), and a majority end up in one of their top-ranked programs...

So, where would you go? (In no particular order...)

OKC
NYC
LA
Chapel Hill
Philadelphia
Boston
Columbus
Cincinnati
KC (Missouri)

LilSooner
10/17/2008, 03:02 PM
Pretty much how you have them ranked. Of course it depends on which hospitals in which city you will be going to.

Also what happens if your wife gets matched to a different hospital than you do?

Penguin
10/17/2008, 03:02 PM
Gotebo

King Crimson
10/17/2008, 03:06 PM
So...I and thousands of other students will be traveling across the US for the next 3 months looking for our residency spots. I really have no idea where I and my wife will end up...

The "match" pretty much assures 99.9% medical students get a residency position (80% of statistics are made up on the spot), and a majority end up in one of their top-ranked programs...

So, where would you go? (In no particular order...)

OKC
NYC
LA
Chapel Hill
Philadelphia
Boston
Columbus
Cincinnati
KC (Missouri)

depends what you want. something new? a life experience? something comfortable?

if it were me, i'd put NYC, CHapel Hill, OKC (family), Boston (though i spent a summer there and was middling on it for more than that....Bostonians are weird to me).....KC to begin the second tier.

for me, not LA.

yermom
10/17/2008, 03:09 PM
so much for "4life"

:mad:

Frozen Sooner
10/17/2008, 03:12 PM
My little brother finishes his residency this year at a Boston hospital. He loves it.

Viking Kitten
10/17/2008, 03:20 PM
OKC-Home is where the heart is.

NYC-Love that city. Love it, love it, love it. I hope residents make some bank though, because livin' there don't come cheap. Plus the winters are cold.

LA-The weather's great. The traffic would drive me to homicide within a month.

Chapel Hill-I've heard its purdy.

Philadelphia-I've driven through it. It looks bleak. And cold.

Boston-On my list of places I really, really want to go. Don't think I could handle the cold winters though.

Columbus-Boooorrr-ing!

Cincinnati-Could you room up with Dr. Johhny Fever?

KC (Missouri)-Lovely town. Sports teams suck. Winter is too cold.

OUstudent4life
10/17/2008, 03:24 PM
so much for "4life"

:mad:

Hey, I picked this name in 2001, 4 years into school at OU. Had at that point 7-8 years to go, after 6 months of lurking on the site. You know, back before Beano was a meano, and we were extorted to "click some **** ads." I've spent more than a third of my life getting one degree or another from here.

It sure felt like a lifetime back then ;)

And soonerbornsoonerbred was taken :D

OUstudent4life
10/17/2008, 03:27 PM
Pretty much how you have them ranked. Of course it depends on which hospitals in which city you will be going to.

Also what happens if your wife gets matched to a different hospital than you do?

Since she's already a resident, she's not going through the match, though if we were in class together, we could "couples match," where the computer takes our rank list and combines it with the hospitals and cities that rank us. I've had some friends do that.

We'll be in the same field, though, so if she finds a place in the same hospital as me, or we stay here, she'll be my upper-level resident for a while.

Spooky. :D

NYC-Love that city. Love it, love it, love it. I hope residents make some bank though, because livin' there don't come cheap. Plus the winters are cold.

Residents make pretty much the same salary across the board, plus or minus 1-2K, nationwide. This is one of my main problems with NYC, LA, and some places I didn't list (UCSF is one of the worst differences between cost of living (compared to OKC) and salary.)

SoonerJack
10/17/2008, 03:30 PM
We'll be in the same field, though, so if she finds a place in the same hospital as me, or we stay here, she'll be my upper-level resident for a while.

Spooky. :D

Bow chikka bow bow

OUstudent4life
10/19/2008, 08:46 PM
The people (school) in Cincinnati are starting to PO me. They're dropping quickly. That, and my wife REALLY doesn't want to live in Ohio...

...and I forgot Nashville on the list. I'm actually really pumped to look at Vandy, and I've heard that's a fun town.

LilSooner
10/19/2008, 08:50 PM
I have a friend who is currently a resident at Vandy. I think he is pretty happy there.

StoopTroup
10/19/2008, 08:53 PM
Remember this...

It's just a Residency...however...you want to go to one where they will let you get your hands in there. Avoid a place if you hear anything about the Docs treating you like ****.

Maybe things have gotten better about all that...but I wouldn't want to end up somewhere I'd be miserable.

Good luck to you and your Wife.

ST

SoonerStormchaser
10/19/2008, 10:01 PM
Columbus is ok...but Cincy sucks!

olevetonahill
10/19/2008, 10:02 PM
When I was a resident . Oh wait
yer not Talking about an asylum are you :eek:

AlbqSooner
10/19/2008, 10:16 PM
Cinncinnati is pretty much like living in S. Central LA. I would not recommend anyone going there on purpose.

Chapel Hill is beautiful and that region is very intellectual.

NYC is NYC - once you get to know them they aren't really arse wholes, they just are in too big a hurry to be caught up in being anything but brutally honest and moving on.

KC is one of the best places in the U.S. to eat. It is close to Oklahoma. Not much else to say about it.

olevetonahill
10/19/2008, 10:21 PM
They let me out On a weekend Pass and I nevar went back .:)

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
10/20/2008, 06:37 AM
Does Seattle Grace have any spots? ;)

I would choose a Boston area hospital.

Sorry I got the user name you wanted. :D