PDA

View Full Version : Colin Powell to endorse Obama?

JohnnyMack
10/17/2008, 02:09 PM
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1008/14665.html

Colin Powell might endorse Obama
By MIKE ALLEN | 10/17/08 10:07 AM EDT

Retired Gen. Colin Powell, once considered a potential running mate for Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), now may endorse his opponent, Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.), according to Republican sources. But an air of mystery surrounds Powell's planned live appearance Sunday on NBC's "Meet the Press," and no one is sure what he will say.

Powell’s unassailable national security credentials could sway voters who are vacillating about whether Obama is ready to be commander in chief, and his endorsement of the Illinois senator would make a national security emphasis by McCain in the election's closing days extremely difficult.

Powell, 71, a professional soldier for 35 years, has advised the last three Republican presidents.

The general’s camp is being coy about what he might or might not say on Sunday. But some McCain advisers suspect, without being sure, that Powell will endorse Obama.

“It’s going to make a lot of news, and certainly be personally embarrassing for McCain," a McCain official said. "It comes at a time when we need momentum, and it would create momentum against us.”

Powell, a four-star Army general, was national security adviser to President Ronald Reagan; chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff during the 1991 Persian Gulf war, when George H.W. Bush was president; and President George W. Bush’s first secretary of State,

Powell has consulted with both Obama and McCain, and the general’s camp has indicated in the past that he would not endorse.

On “Meet the Press” in June 2007, Powell said: “I’ve met with Sen. Obama twice. I’ve been around this town a long time, and I know everybody who is running for office, and I make myself available to talk about foreign policy matters and military matters with whoever wishes to chat with me."

Asked by moderator Tim Russert if he would come back into government, Powell said: “I would not rule it out. I’m not at all interested in political life, if you mean elected political life. That is unchanged. But I always keep my, my eyes open and my ears open to requests for service.”

Asked about an endorsement, he said: “It’s too early.”

NBC’s ‘Andrea Mitchell broke the news of Powell’s surprise “Meet the Press” appearance on the “Today” show Friday.

“In what promises to be a dramatic moment Sunday, Colin Powell — a lion of the Republican establishment, whom McCain and Obama both have courted for months — will finally speak out on a variety of issues, appearing exclusively on ‘Meet the Press,’” Mitchell said. “Of course, years ago, he was talked about as the possible first … African-American nominee of a major party.”

Last week, Powell appeared as a character witness at Sen. Ted Stevens’ (R-Alaska) corruption trial, telling jurors that Stevens is someone he trusts completely. "As we say in the infantry, this is a guy you take on a long patrol," Powell said.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/17/2008, 02:11 PM
sssssssssssssssszzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzHuh?....okay

C&CDean
10/17/2008, 02:16 PM
The Bradley Effect. Only in reverse.

yermom
10/17/2008, 02:16 PM
with how he was treated by the current administration, i can imagine how he might not like the party too much at the moment

SoonerProphet
10/17/2008, 02:17 PM
he carried water for administration and wrecked his rep at the UN. who cares what he says.

swardboy
10/17/2008, 02:22 PM
A lot of folks who were adults during Gulf War I will never forgive Powell for swaying Bush I not to pursue Saddam's Guard down the highway of death all the way to Baghdad and decimating them.

Since then he's just been a meh bureaucrat to me.

SoonerProphet
10/17/2008, 02:32 PM
A lot of folks who were adults during Gulf War I will never forgive Powell for swaying Bush I not to pursue Saddam's Guard down the highway of death all the way to Baghdad and decimating them.

Since then he's just been a meh bureaucrat to me.

I wonder if they feel that way about Cheney too.

http://www.slate.com/id/2072609/

Chuck Bao
10/17/2008, 02:37 PM
I would love to see Colin Powell as Secretary of State again.

This time, I hope he is allowed to take a meaningful role in forming state policy.

And, I would love this appointment as very clear repudiation of the failed and disastrous Bush / Cheney foreign policy.

SoonerProphet
10/17/2008, 02:45 PM
I would love to see Colin Powell as Secretary of State again.

This time, I hope he is allowed to take a meaningful role in forming state policy.

And, I would love this appointment as very clear repudiation of the failed and disastrous Bush / Cheney foreign policy.

Why, how could you trust him? He had his chance and failed.

Chuck Bao
10/17/2008, 02:57 PM
Why, how could you trust him? He had his chance and failed.

Because of the weapons of mass destruction speech at the UN? At least he didn't continue to perpetuate lies and distortions like Condi Rice has.

SoonerProphet
10/17/2008, 03:25 PM
Because of the weapons of mass destruction speech at the UN? At least he didn't continue to perpetuate lies and distortions like Condi Rice has.

It is much more than just the UN speech, hell he didn't even back up his own doctrine on the use of force.

Chuck Bao
10/17/2008, 03:40 PM
It is much more than just the UN speech, hell he didn't even back up his own doctrine on the use of force.

Fair enough. You and I will probably never agree on this part of history.

I still think Powell is generally seen as trustworthy by many Americans and generally respected around the world. His endorsement of Obama, if that is what Powell is going to do this Sunday on Meet the Press, will give much more credence to the potential Obama presidency.

The Washington Post endorsement will sway a few voters too.

yermom
10/17/2008, 04:29 PM

i'm pretty sure that was Rummy's doing. Powell and Shinseki were basically ignored by the people calling the shots

SoonerProphet
10/17/2008, 04:54 PM
Fair enough. You and I will probably never agree on this part of history.

I still think Powell is generally seen as trustworthy by many Americans and generally respected around the world. His endorsement of Obama, if that is what Powell is going to do this Sunday on Meet the Press, will give much more credence to the potential Obama presidency.

You are probably right on both accounts. I just think he could have done more to put the brakes on the process and try to generate some debate on Iraq dealio, both within and outside of the administration.

SoonerProphet
10/17/2008, 04:56 PM
i'm pretty sure that was Rummy's doing. Powell and Shinseki were basically ignored by the people calling the shots

No doubt his opinion was marginalized and given an ultimatum to go before the UN.

Widescreen
10/17/2008, 04:59 PM

Heh.

I'm going to assume you're joking because otherwise that's the stupid statement of the day. Who do you think the Post holds sway with? People who were already going to vote for Obama anyway.

Harry Beanbag
10/17/2008, 05:31 PM
Powell has said in the past that he wouldn't make a very good Republican. This wouldn't really be all that surprising if he did it.