PDA

View Full Version : Middle Linebacker

CK Sooner
10/17/2008, 10:29 AM
Nic Harris to Middle Linebacker and Quinton Carter to safety.

-Pay Board

BornandBred
10/17/2008, 10:31 AM
Why is it we can't run a 4-2-5? Is it a personnel thing or what?

CK Sooner
10/17/2008, 10:32 AM
No idea.

I'm surprised that Carter is starting instead of Proctor.

Carter is coming off of a knee injury.

setem
10/17/2008, 10:32 AM
[QUOTE=CK Sooner;2448123]Nic Harris to Middle Linebacker and Quinton Carter to safety.

-Pay Board[/QUOTE

Really or are you keeding us?

CK Sooner
10/17/2008, 10:36 AM
[QUOTE=CK Sooner;2448123]Nic Harris to Middle Linebacker and Quinton Carter to safety.

-Pay Board[/QUOTE

Really or are you keeding us?

No

OKC-SLC
10/17/2008, 10:41 AM
This can't be good if it's true. I guess after a few days, Box isn't performing well enough?

Will be interesting.

BornandBred
10/17/2008, 10:44 AM
I hope this isn't a case of making the players match the scheme instead of the scheme matching the players. This usually doesn't work mid season. I do however have faith that BV knows what he's doing about the LB positions, so if he puts a player there, I expect good things. Harris is a beast and will finally get to attack the run hard again. As far as Carter at Safety, as long as he doesn't bite on the play action too much, our cover two should contain the big play and allow for us to maintain the same 'bend but don't break' D they like to run.

setem
10/17/2008, 10:46 AM
I have no problem with Nic Harris moving to a LB spot. It is going be like having another Keenan Clayton out there.

Harris weighs 230 and Clayton who is a LB only weighs 220. There will also be the added speed factor!

I don't know about Carter, I am sure he will be ok back there. The deep ball really has not been a problem this year. It is the short to medium rang passes that have killed us.

I like this move if it is true!

OU-HSV
10/17/2008, 10:52 AM
The good news about this is the speed factor. I would think it brings more speed to our LB corps. The bad news (but could end up being good news) is this is a midseason move.
So I don't have a problem with it, I like the fact that BV must see something he didn't like out of Box or Crowe (and others), and he's willing to makes some changes to give the D a better chance at stopping people.

Maybe the next step is the change you all are mentioning to a 4-2-5, but that wouldn't happen til offseason

stoopified
10/17/2008, 10:52 AM
It is pretty much what I suggested right after he UT except with Q.Carter in the lineup astead of Proctor and apparently Harris will line up at the MIKE instead of the ROY.I guess BV will do anything to avoid 4-2-5.That is LB mentality for ya. :D

Partial Qualifier
10/17/2008, 10:53 AM
..so Box couldn't handle the penetration after all. :(

;)

soonerspudman
10/17/2008, 10:59 AM
After breaking down UT films the coaches must have concluded they don't have anyone who can cover the middle, this is where we lost the 2nd half after RR left. The coaches know everyone in the Big12 will watch these films and hammer passing routes over the middle. On paper this move seems to make sense, but execution is everything.

Go Nic, it will be very cool to see #5 roaming the middle - another Rod Shoate?

CK Sooner
10/17/2008, 10:59 AM
This can't be good if it's true. I guess after a few days, Box isn't performing well enough?

Will be interesting.

His elbow is bothering him.

The Maestro
10/17/2008, 11:00 AM
Remember all the hype about Balogun that was coming out of newspapers preseason with all the quotes from Venables about his talent?

I am not going to read anymore of that B.S. since it doesn't seem to pan out with Mike Reed and Balogun. Is our MLB scheme too difficult for a true MLB size wise?

Oh, well...Harris to MLB seems like a better fit anyway. At least he has been on the field.

setem
10/17/2008, 11:01 AM
SMASH THEIR ASSES INTO SMITHEREENS!

Soonermagik
10/17/2008, 11:03 AM
It's true.

They have been trying both Proctor & Carter out at safety. They are realizing they want to stuff the middle and Nic is the guy who can do it.

I think Nic will be awesome in the middle.

BornandBred
10/17/2008, 11:07 AM
Hey, and maybe, finally, we can have a MLB that can cover some body. I'm tired of that being exploited all the way back to TGOWWDNS. RR was a mental player, and typically in the right spot so his coverage skills were stronger than what we've seen. Hopefully #5 can shut down the middle pass is a similar or even better fashion.

KantoSooner
10/17/2008, 11:10 AM
Yeah, I don't get the whole 'Magical Disappearing Balogun' dealio. What happened with the guy? Anyone know?
I kind of liked the idea of a 250 lb linebacker during the off season.
Call me a bluff old traditionalist, but I like seeing a running back and linebacker collide and having the RB drop. Right there. Not drag the LB another three to five yards.

CK Sooner
10/17/2008, 11:13 AM
Yeah, I don't get the whole 'Magical Disappearing Balogun' dealio. What happened with the guy? Anyone know?
I kind of liked the idea of a 250 lb linebacker during the off season.
Call me a bluff old traditionalist, but I like seeing a running back and linebacker collide and having the RB drop. Right there. Not drag the LB another three to five yards.

He is on special teams.

I guess that doesn't tell you much though.

:D

setem
10/17/2008, 11:15 AM
Maybe this will be line in Remember the Titans when they replaced Ryan Gosling with Donald Faison?

I can hear the up tempo music from the inspirational highlight real that is about to happen!

WE ARE GOING TO WIN THE STATE CHAMPIONSHIP!

NormanPride
10/17/2008, 11:15 AM
Well, he won't be any worse at being blocked than RR I guess. :D His level of knowledge of the D is also very high so that may help. He's got good speed and instincts, but he's a DB after all. His tackling will need to improve a ton.

StoopTroup
10/17/2008, 11:17 AM
You need a leader in that position,,,

Nic is a Leader.

I do wish we didn't have to make this adjustment though.

I'm betting the Coaches thought that some of the other guys (Box, Balogun, Crow) would have been able to fill Ryan's shoes by now...

All eyes will be on Harris this weekend.

GO NIC!

KaleoHolley
10/17/2008, 11:59 AM
I understand the reasons why everyone wants BOX to be out there, hometown kid, he looks the part, but he isn't getting something done or he would be on the field this year when he was healthy.

setem
10/17/2008, 12:04 PM
Has he been healthy yet? The bow of his has been a lingering injure for a while now.

I think we will see Box/Harris used kind of like TRRoy Williams is or was being used in Dallas. Box on short yardage or 1st and 2nd down and Harris on long downs and 3rd down plays.

CK Sooner
10/17/2008, 12:05 PM
I understand the reasons why everyone wants BOX to be out there, hometown kid, he looks the part, but he isn't getting something done or he would be on the field this year when he was healthy.

He has had a nagging elbow injury for a while.

He was suppose to start, but was injured the first game and let's just say his replacement Travis Lewis didn't play to bad.

;)

CaliBornSoonerBred
10/17/2008, 12:40 PM
I like the idea of Nic moving to the middle for Clayton and Lewis' sake. They kept elaborating about how much RR helped get them into position and all they had to do was go play ball. Nic is the best option to replace that leadership and help to the young guys. We all know Lendy wasn't the answer for that as he is out of position 50% of the time anyways. Great move since Box has the nagging elbow injury but I'm with everyone else, what is the hold up with Balogun? I'm also shocked to see Carter getting the nod over Proctor who was #1 until a late push by Lendy to get his job back. Do we see a roatation at safety now? Especially since Franks had such a good game last week and has shown he can be put in one on one and this will allow the game to slow down a bit for the new safeties. I like it and can't wait to see the young guys play tomorrow.

JLEW1818
10/17/2008, 12:44 PM
I thought Lendy always had his job, it was Franks who lost it.

CK Sooner
10/17/2008, 12:44 PM
I like the idea of Nic moving to the middle for Clayton and Lewis' sake. They kept elaborating about how much RR helped get them into position and all they had to do was go play ball. Nic is the best option to replace that leadership and help to the young guys. We all know Lendy wasn't the answer for that as he is out of position 50% of the time anyways. Great move since Box has the nagging elbow injury but I'm with everyone else, what is the hold up with Baloguin? I'm also shocked to see Carter getting the nod over Proctor who was #1 until a late push by Lendy to get his job back. Do we see a roatation at safety now? Especially since Franks had such a good game last week and has shown he can be put in one on one and this will allow the game to slow down a bit for the new safeties. I like it and can't wait to see the young guys play tomorrow.

Balogun can't learn the defense, that is the last I heard about him.

Carter jumping Proctor was a surprise to me, he was part of the special teams mishap against Texas.

"Watching the replay, it was evident where the breakdown against Texas came as Jordan Shipley returned a kickoff for a touchdown against the Sooners.

Brett Bowers over-ran the tackle, while Quinton Carter and Matt Clapp struggled to get off of their blocks and then collided into each other as they tried to bring down Shipley.

After those near misses, Shipley was gone."

CaliBornSoonerBred
10/17/2008, 12:51 PM
I thought Lendy always had his job, it was Franks who lost it.

I just looked it up, Lendy always had the job. Proctor gave a big push to take Nic's job in the Spring. My apologies for the mis-information.

Nof49 Sooner
10/17/2008, 12:56 PM
We'll see how this plays out, but right now I ain't liking this move much. I just don't get why BV doesn't go with a nickel package. Play Harris up closer to line almost as a third LB to support the run D and underneath passing routes, and put someone else in centerfield to cover the deep middle. I'd think it's easier to find someone to play safety than play MLB. I think the corners (Jackson especially) can hold their own, so if Harris is left free to patrol the underneath stuff we'd see a big difference and hopefully force more turnovers.

CK Sooner
10/17/2008, 12:58 PM
We'll see how this plays out, but right now I ain't liking this move much. I just don't get why BV doesn't go with a nickel package. Play Harris up closer to line almost as a third LB to support the run D and underneath passing routes, and put someone else in centerfield to cover the deep middle. I'd think it's easier to find someone to play safety than play MLB. I think the corners (Jackson especially) can hold their own, so if Harris is left free to patrol the underneath stuff we'd see a big difference and hopefully force more turnovers.

I think this move is going to be good.

If Carter can play good, I think this defense has a chance of being better than it was before the Reynolds injury.

85sooners
10/17/2008, 01:04 PM
nic is the man

JLEW1818
10/17/2008, 01:07 PM
He's the most intelligent person on our Defense.

humblesooner
10/17/2008, 01:13 PM

We'll have to wait and see, but that may be what we get.
How can you have a MIKE with only two LB's?
They may have just said that Nic will replace RR and end up being the "rover" with a WIL and SAM.

NormanPride
10/17/2008, 01:15 PM
I think this move is going to be good.

If Carter can play good, I think this defense has a chance of being better than it was before the Reynolds injury.

Let's hold our horses here. We lost the heart and soul of our LB corps and we're replacing him with a safety. There will be growing pains and busts. Nic will cover a bit better man to man, but will not know the ins and outs like Reynolds did. We're two weeks away from a perfect grade at the MLB position, and Nic will not get anywhere near that.

Now, I love the optimism, and Nic will be fantastic as he always is... but saying we'll be better now is like "we'll be better now that AD is gone". :)

CK Sooner
10/17/2008, 01:19 PM
Let's hold our horses here. We lost the heart and soul of our LB corps and we're replacing him with a safety. There will be growing pains and busts. Nic will cover a bit better man to man, but will not know the ins and outs like Reynolds did. We're two weeks away from a perfect grade at the MLB position, and Nic will not get anywhere near that.

Now, I love the optimism, and Nic will be fantastic as he always is... but saying we'll be better now is like "we'll be better now that AD is gone". :)

I think Nic will be as good as Reynolds, especially in the leadership department.

I said we have a chance, i'm not saying we will be.

JLEW1818
10/17/2008, 01:21 PM
I think we don't use Nic enough. Now how we use him more, I don't know?

NormanPride
10/17/2008, 01:25 PM
I think Nic will be as good as Reynolds, especially in the leadership department.

I said we have a chance, i'm not saying we will be.

I dunno.. Nic is a good tackler, but Reynolds was freakishly consistent. I do agree that his leadership skills are second to none.

BornandBred
10/17/2008, 01:26 PM
I bet this makes our blitzing scheme a bit more exciting.

Dan Thompson
10/17/2008, 01:55 PM
Where any other players used at MLB during the first three games?

CK Sooner
10/17/2008, 02:03 PM
Where any other players used at MLB during the first three games?

The only one I can remember is Crow.

Austin got some playing time on the outside.

PalmBeachSooner1
10/17/2008, 02:06 PM
Nic Harris to Middle Linebacker and Quinton Carter to safety.

-Pay Board

Cat out of bag. :mad:

CK Sooner
10/17/2008, 02:06 PM

Not really, at first it was Proctor at Safety.

Soonermagik
10/17/2008, 02:07 PM

I knew that was going to happen. No biggie.

If Nic plays to his potential we will be fine. I just hope we're okay at safety.

PalmBeachSooner1
10/17/2008, 02:10 PM
I'm not worried, I'll have plenty of beer handy.

yukonsooner
10/17/2008, 02:17 PM

Will be interesting.

a

CK Sooner
10/17/2008, 02:19 PM
a

:confused:

OU-HSV
10/17/2008, 02:21 PM
I'll never argue that Ryan couldn't tackle....I will argue that his pass coverage has been suspect not only this season, but last season. Watch some of the games from last season, you'll see guys who look to be Ryan's responsibility running wide open.

That being said, I think Nic's speed will play an important role with him moving to LB, as long as he catches on to who he should be covering. Which I'm sure he already has a good idea of that from playing safety. I think he'll do good, and quite frankly, I'm excited to see some sort of change, as I mentioned in my other post.

OU-HSV
10/17/2008, 02:21 PM
:confused:

:confused: :confused: ;)

PalmBeachSooner1
10/17/2008, 02:22 PM
I am stoked to see Nic at Middle. I think this will be a great move. Safety will be fine.

OU-HSV
10/17/2008, 02:23 PM
By the way is this move official yet??? Has anyone seen any info released by OU or coaches or anything like that?

CK Sooner
10/17/2008, 02:23 PM
:confused: :confused: ;)

:mad:

CK Sooner
10/17/2008, 02:24 PM
By the way is this move official yet??? Has anyone seen any info released by OU or coaches or anything like that?

It was on the pay board, so take that for what it's worth.

OU-HSV
10/17/2008, 02:29 PM
Not sure what that means. Like rivals or something?

CK Sooner
10/17/2008, 02:33 PM
Not sure what that means. Like rivals or something?

OU Insider and Rivals.

KaleoHolley
10/17/2008, 02:37 PM
I didn't know box had been hurt, other then the knee. I think Nic is going to be a linebacker at the next level. Texas was afraid to come his side all day, hopefully this will allow him to be the playmaker he is on our defense.

NormanPride
10/17/2008, 02:38 PM
Did the mods at rivals confirm? I know James at Insider was denying up and down. He's often wrong, though.

JLEW1818
10/17/2008, 02:40 PM
They also said R.J Washington was going to come out of this RedShirt... (I dont think he did did he)?

I don't see Nic. Playing LB . Guess I'll believe it when I see it.

SoonerTank
10/17/2008, 02:42 PM
Is this creating a weakness to correct a weakness?

CK Sooner
10/17/2008, 03:04 PM
Did the mods at rivals confirm? I know James at Insider was denying up and down. He's often wrong, though.

Not sure if they confirmed, but it was one of their main stories.

C&CDean
10/17/2008, 03:24 PM
"Ooooh, I love this move, nic'll be great. Oooh, I hate this move, nic will suck. well it's on a pay board so it's gotta be true. nic for prez."

For the love of Ray Nitchzke and Dick Butkus people, give it a rest. We'll find out in less than 24 hours who's playing in the middle and whether or not he sucks. Regardless, some of you will still be here with "Venables shoulda.....Venables coulda......I'da........meh.

CK Sooner
10/17/2008, 03:29 PM
"Ooooh, I love this move, nic'll be great. Oooh, I hate this move, nic will suck. well it's on a pay board so it's gotta be true. nic for prez."

For the love of Ray Nitchzke and Dick Butkus people, give it a rest. We'll find out in less than 24 hours who's playing in the middle and whether or not he sucks. Regardless, some of you will still be here with "Venables shoulda.....Venables coulda......I'da........meh.

I actually like Venables.

It came from a player too.

BoulderSooner79
10/17/2008, 03:42 PM
Is this creating a weakness to correct a weakness?

If your most important player goes down, the unit will be weaker by definition. I see the coaches' task as spreading the weakness around so it is not concentrated in one place that is easy to exploit. That is going to take a change in scheme since a direct replacement for RR is not possible.

Soonermagik
10/17/2008, 03:49 PM

Unless there is an issue at safety this will happen.

Nof49 Sooner
10/17/2008, 04:58 PM
Fact is we just can't play 3 LBs every single play. At every level of football including the NFL it's the LBs who get exploited in pass coverage. If we don't have a third LB who's good enough or healthy enough to step in, then we shouldn't put 3 LBs out there. Put 5 in the secondary. IF this is true and Nic gets moved to MLB, that just seems like we're trying to make a square peg fit in a round hole.

setem
10/17/2008, 05:19 PM
I'll never argue that Ryan couldn't tackle....I will argue that his pass coverage has been suspect not only this season, but last season. Watch some of the games from last season, you'll see guys who look to be Ryan's responsibility running wide open.

That being said, I think Nic's speed will play an important role with him moving to LB, as long as he catches on to who he should be covering. Which I'm sure he already has a good idea of that from playing safety. I think he'll do good, and quite frankly, I'm excited to see some sort of change, as I mentioned in my other post.

RR's coverage was a 1000 times better this year as compared to last year. The only hickup was during texas and you have to admit even though they were putting up yards in curl rout he was at keep them from getting YAC and shutting downt he run game.

It has been his weakness but it is waaaaay better this year.

OU-HSV
10/17/2008, 05:24 PM
RR's coverage was a 1000 times better this year as compared to last year. The only hickup was during texas and you have to admit even though they were putting up yards in curl rout he was at keep them from getting YAC and shutting downt he run game.

It has been his weakness but it is waaaaay better this year.

Okay, I can agree with this.
But also, I noticed him obviously limping around in the second qtr vs. texass...yet some reason the coaches kept him in there. I guess they knew he was much better than Crowe or something, and figured leave him in.

JLEW1818
10/17/2008, 05:25 PM
Seen that too.

CK Sooner
10/17/2008, 05:27 PM
But also, I noticed him obviously limping around in the second qtr vs. texass...yet some reason the coaches kept him in there. I guess they knew he was much better than Crowe or something, and figured leave him in.

If you watch the play he got injured on was an obvious late hit.

He was standing there after the play was over and a Texas player pretty much blind-sided him.

OU-HSV
10/17/2008, 05:27 PM
Seen that too.

He went to the ground after one play and even waved at the coaches for a second, but then he stopped waving and got back up for the next play

JLEW1818
10/17/2008, 05:28 PM
He showed a lot of courage.

OU-HSV
10/17/2008, 05:31 PM
He showed a lot of courage.

I agree with that too. He wanted to stay in that game and play through the early injury. But the later injury was obviously too much to play through.

JLEW1818
10/17/2008, 05:31 PM
Agree.

PalmBeachSooner1
10/17/2008, 05:35 PM
They also said R.J Washington was going to come out of this RedShirt... (I dont think he did did he)?

I don't see Nic. Playing LB . Guess I'll believe it when I see it.

Care to wager on that?:D

BoulderSooner79
10/17/2008, 05:44 PM

He got hurt in the 2nd qtr ? Wow, I didn't see that. It explains much because UT scored on their last 2 possessions of the half to close an 11pt lead to 1pt. Prior to that, they were not able to sustain any long drives.

OU-HSV
10/17/2008, 05:46 PM
He got hurt in the 2nd qtr ? Wow, I didn't see that. It explains much because UT scored on their last 2 possessions of the half to close an 11pt lead to 1pt. Prior to that, they were not able to sustain any long drives.

Yeah he did, me, my brother and the people sitting around me noticed it. He for sure got injured once well before the big injury. Maybe that did play a role in some of the problem earlier on defense, I'm not sure. I'll pay closer attention to it, as far as timing and how it effected the D early on, next time I bring myself to watch my dvr of the game again.

JLEW1818
10/17/2008, 05:52 PM
Care to wager on that?:D

Not being sarcastic did R.J. play Saturday?? I didn't see him? seriously

CK Sooner
10/17/2008, 05:53 PM
Not being sarcastic did R.J. play Saturday?? I didn't see him? seriously

He was talking about Nic to Linebacker.

R.J didn't play.

Dan Thompson
10/17/2008, 06:34 PM
Did anyone see how RR got hurt? After the play was almost over, a moving big pile, but not down, RR was about 2 or 3 yards back, a #71 (Texas LG) came over and pushed RR down and landed on top of him, got RR from the left side.

St. Louis Sooner
10/17/2008, 10:22 PM
i still do not understand how the coaches had no suitable rep for RR at the RRS when he went down; gawd, Lofton's early exit is soo being felt right now;

GottaHavePride
10/17/2008, 11:43 PM
i still do not understand how the coaches had no suitable rep for RR at the RRS when he went down

Would you like the smart-*** answer or the EXTRA smart-*** answer?

Phantasm
10/17/2008, 11:50 PM
whoever is in the middle will be prepared to do the job. We'll see in about 14 hours.

BoulderSooner79
10/17/2008, 11:57 PM
i still do not understand how the coaches had no suitable rep for RR at the RRS when he went down; gawd, Lofton's early exit is soo being felt right now;

What's not to understand? He was not only playing at a very high level at his own position, he was the on-field director of the other LBs. The second role is probably harder to replace than the first. The better question is why didn't the coaches have a plan (i.e. change the scheme) in the event RR went down. Maybe they did and that's what we were watching. But if Sam couldn't play, the offense would surely be less effective - there would be no suitable rep for SB. By all accounts RR was at that level on the D side.

Yep, Curtis why did you have to ? On top of that Mike Reed was supposed to a 5 star LB stud and didn't work out. So we were thin at MLB already.

GottaHavePride
10/18/2008, 12:09 AM
We need Terrible Terry Tate.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/18/2008, 12:14 AM
MRkiouh5NEI

adoniijahsooner
10/18/2008, 12:34 AM
Thinking about this, and watching TCU play last night, I really think we should try to move to a 4-2-5 next year, because of all the experience in the secondary, a strong d-line, and lewis and clayton. I think this would be very suitable for our personel.

OU_Sooners75
10/18/2008, 03:02 AM
If we stay in the cover 2, do not expect Nic Harris to be stopping many passes in the middle. Cover 2 opens the middle.

What we need is shift to the 4-2-5 and have the extra DB cover the middle. Maybe with #5 moving to the middle, that is basically what we are going to?

I don't know. But I would love to see more man to man and cover 3 or cover 4 being played.

OU_Sooners75
10/18/2008, 04:39 AM
Pic of basic cover 3. A lot better than basic cover 2. And you have more options with over loading the OL with blitzes without hurting the coverage. It is also a lot less complex in coverages that we currently see OU running.

BV, I love ya man, but simplify our coverages. Basic football is the best thing to combat inexperience!

http://www.talkncaasports.com/images/basecover3.png

CK Sooner
10/18/2008, 01:26 PM
Nic is warming up at Middle Linebacker for you non believers.

sooneron
10/18/2008, 01:34 PM
I am thinking that this will resemble more of a 4 2 5 than the 4 3. Nic has the ability to play more like Roy than anyone else that we have had since. It makes sense to have him play the role of monster or rover.