PDA

View Full Version : 35 Points Vs Texas

tulsaoilerfan
10/16/2008, 05:20 PM
IF we scored 35 every year vs Texas, our series record would be 97-6; Saturday's game was truly rare for this series and tied the most points we've ever given up to the 'Horns; even John Freakin Blake never gave up 45, but it's happened twice in the last 4 years to us; never thought i would see that happen to a Stoops team

TMcGee86
10/16/2008, 05:56 PM
It does blow me away that this team gave up the exact same amount as the 06 squad did to a VY lead championship UT team.

I don't want to blame BV but after a while, it becomes nearly impossible to ignore...

cheezyq
10/17/2008, 12:41 AM
But if we had BV in all those games, we'd be 0-103!!!

;):D

:pop:

OU-HSV
10/17/2008, 12:48 AM
I also read on espn.com somewhere that Sam's 387 pass yards was the most ever by a Sooner QB against the whorns.
Props to Sam for a great offensive performance

HopeSpringsEternal
10/17/2008, 12:51 AM
You can bet it's going to be a regular occurrence with BV at the helm of the defense. I especially enjoy the fact he's the owner of the three highest point totals surrendered in bowl games to tack on with those wonderful vs. Texas numbers. If he were anyone else he'd be given the Tommy Tuberville Special.

OU-HSV
10/17/2008, 12:52 AM
You can bet it's going to be a regular occurrence with BV at the helm of the defense. I especially enjoy the fact he's the owner of the three highest point totals surrendered in bowl games to tack on with those wonderful vs. Texas numbers. If he were anyone else he'd be given the Tommy Tuberville Special.

I think you meant Tommy Bowden special

HopeSpringsEternal
10/17/2008, 12:54 AM
I think you meant Tommy Bowden special

Actually I meant Tommy Tuberville since he sacked his coordinator a couple of games into the season.

OU-HSV
10/17/2008, 12:55 AM
Actually I meant Tommy Tuberville since he sacked his coordinator a couple of games into the season.

Ah, I see what you're saying. :D
Guess it could go either way though.

sooneron
10/17/2008, 09:27 AM
It does blow me away that this team gave up the exact same amount as the 06 squad did to a VY lead championship UT team.

I don't want to blame BV but after a while, it becomes nearly impossible to ignore...

Blame him all you like, but if our O keeps the D on the field for the much better part of the 2nd half, you're not spreading the blame around to the other places where it should fall.

soonermix
10/17/2008, 10:14 AM
Blame him all you like, but if our O keeps the D on the field for the much better part of the 2nd half, you're not spreading the blame around to the other places where it should fall.

you know if our D just made everybody go 3 and out every drive they would probably never get tired

stoopified
10/17/2008, 10:36 AM
you know if our D just made everybody go 3 and out every drive they would probably never get tiredThe same argument could also be made that IF the offense scored a TD on every posession.... We lost to UT get over it and what difference does it make if its 10-0 or 45-35? A lossis still a loss.As for Venables IF Bob makes the decision to let him go ,I wILL support it.UNTIL then howeverBV is the D co-ordinator and I support him.Bottom line is BOB STOOPS is the headcoach and HE decides what is best for OUr Sooners.IF anyone is so sure that Venables is to blame,call in on Bob's radio show Tuesday night at 7PM and sk him WHY BV still has a job. The number is 1-877-600-6432.

The way I see it you either support the Sooners and OUr headcoach or you don't.That includes trusting his judgement in player and coaching decisions.If you DO know more about coaching than Bob call him up and tell him about it,again the number is 1-877-600-6432.

TMcGee86
10/17/2008, 11:18 AM

Yeah I know, but that excuse only works this season. What about the last two fiesta bowls?

PT wasn't leading any high powered no-huddle offense.

And in 06 we weren't running anything even remotely similar to what we are now. In fact, we were more of a run first team.

Like I said, I dont want to blame him, but we just can't ignore the massive amounts of points given up in the last 4 years.

He is not why we lost to UT, I grant you that, but he's not really helping the cause any.

HopeSpringsEternal
10/17/2008, 12:13 PM
Actually that excuse doesn't work at all. It's total apologist BS fed only to those looking for a reason not to admit BV couldn't coach a pee wee team. Texas had 73 snaps, OU... 67. Now if a lot of extra standing around and 6 extra snaps is enough to wear down a defense, as some would suggest, then by all means, get a new SC coach. Otherwise go panhandle excuses somewhere else.

cheezyq
10/17/2008, 02:59 PM
The same argument could also be made that IF the offense scored a TD on every posession.... We lost to UT get over it and what difference does it make if its 10-0 or 45-35? A lossis still a loss.As for Venables IF Bob makes the decision to let him go ,I wILL support it.UNTIL then howeverBV is the D co-ordinator and I support him.Bottom line is BOB STOOPS is the headcoach and HE decides what is best for OUr Sooners.IF anyone is so sure that Venables is to blame,call in on Bob's radio show Tuesday night at 7PM and sk him WHY BV still has a job. The number is 1-877-600-6432.

The way I see it you either support the Sooners and OUr headcoach or you don't.That includes trusting his judgement in player and coaching decisions.If you DO know more about coaching than Bob call him up and tell him about it,again the number is 1-877-600-6432.

<soapbox>

I hate these lame arguments. "BOB STOOPS is the headcoach and HE decides what is best for OUr Sooners."...So was this also your argument during the Blake/Drunkenburger years? I like Bob as much as anyone here, and I think he's one of the best coaches in the country. But he's going to make some occasional bad decisions, and he'll be subject to other human traits like loyalty and emotional ties. Not every decision that Bob makes is gold.

Please stop acting like we're a part of the team. We're fans. It's OK for us to look on to the next opponent, or the one after that, to think that the other team sucks and not give them credit for anything, to question our coaches even though some of us have never touched a football (much less coached or played). All that stuff is part of being a fan. Sure, I want Bob to tell our players not to look ahead, to respect our opponents, and to follow the game plan without criticizing it. But we as fans don't have to do any of that.

Fan is an abbreviation for fanatic. Some of us are more fanatical than others, but we're all still fans. I, for one, get so ticked with our coaches, the refs, the poor tackling, etc. that sometimes that I will flat turn off the TV and just hope that we won. If we do, I'll go back and see what I missed. Heck, I turned off the RRR game after Lewis got his 2nd bogus roughing call. I couldn't stand it anymore, and I wasn't going to sit and watch us get screwed again. I couldn't stand the fact that we didn't even bother to establish the running game. The punt fake was a dumb call. Yeah, that's right, I disagree with the coach's decisions sometimes. But I'm allowed that right as a fan. That doesn't make me any less a Sooner fan than you. It doesn't mean I want to run Bob out of here, either. I'm passionate about the Sooners, and I want to see them win.

And if someone doesn't like the way that BV runs things, then they have every right to bitch and moan about it. You may disagree, and we all can completely respect that. That's the beauty of this mixed up world - we all have differing opinions and adhere to them passionately, right/wrong, or otherwise.

I also don't mean to sound like I'm picking on you, stoopified. I just hate these arguments about what fans can/can't say about the Sooners and Bob/Brent/Kevin, etc. As long as I'm not calling out a player or pulling an Aggie and making fun of a person's family or something like that...I don't see anything wrong with disagreeing with decisions that our coaching staff makes. It's not like they read this stuff or care what we have to say anyway.

</soapbox>

P.S. - For the record, I'm not a BV fan OR a BV hater. I think he's a great LB coach and recruiter, but it's clear someone else needs to LEAD the defense and create a more effective scheme. I don't want BV fired, but we do need someone to have our players in the right places on a consistent basis. BV has shown some promise this year, until RR was injured...but his track record is very inconsistent as a DC, no matter what argument anyone makes.

MiccoMacey
10/17/2008, 03:06 PM

12-0. 2004.

sooneron
10/17/2008, 04:19 PM
Actually that excuse doesn't work at all. It's total apologist BS fed only to those looking for a reason not to admit BV couldn't coach a pee wee team. Texas had 73 snaps, OU... 67. Now if a lot of extra standing around and 6 extra snaps is enough to wear down a defense, as some would suggest, then by all means, get a new SC coach. Otherwise go panhandle excuses somewhere else.

Uh, ok, we're talking about the 2nd half here, since that is when ut outscored us.
Obviously, the fact that I pretty much said there was plenty of blame to go around was lost on you.

Reading is tough, mmkay?

sooneron
10/17/2008, 04:20 PM

Why do I have the feeling that this post had much more dooshbaggery comments in it directed at me?:rolleyes:

HopeSpringsEternal
10/17/2008, 05:24 PM
Uh, ok, we're talking about the 2nd half here, since that is when ut outscored us.
Obviously, the fact that I pretty much said there was plenty of blame to go around was lost on you.

Reading is tough, mmkay?

Yes, apparently it is.

JLEW1818
10/17/2008, 05:27 PM
They outscored us the last 3 quarters.

HopeSpringsEternal
10/17/2008, 05:28 PM
12-0. 2004.

You've got issues, seek help immediately.

OU 19 USC 55

Nice try...

Well, on second thought, no it wasn't.

JLEW1818
10/17/2008, 05:33 PM
Easy now. 12-0 2004, that's not bad.

HopeSpringsEternal
10/17/2008, 05:44 PM
It wouldn't be bad if the issue's hadn't been apparent for the entire year. Just because a team wins does not mean a team has succeeded. Anyone that cares to watch the games couldn't have possibly been surprised at USC's production given the state of the defense. I'd say a 55-19 cleveland steamer is pretty bad regardless of a 12-0 season preceding it. They didn't even put up a fight. I'd go so far as to say they just plain quit.

sooneron
10/17/2008, 05:53 PM
It wouldn't be bad if the issue's hadn't been apparent for the entire year. Just because a team wins does not mean a team has succeeded. Anyone that cares to watch the games couldn't have possibly been surprised at USC's production given the state of the defense. I'd say a 55-19 cleveland steamer is pretty bad regardless of a 12-0 season preceding it. They didn't even put up a fight. I'd go so far as to say they just plain quit.

YOu might want to make up your mind. Did they quit or was it Venables' scheme?

sooneron
10/17/2008, 05:59 PM
It's really interesting coming into this year, everyone on this board knew there were question marks at LB and the fact that we were breaking in two noobs in the backfield. We win some games against lesser competition and suddenly when we lose it's all BV's fault.
Face it, good offenses are lighting up defenses everywhere these days. I have more concerns about not sustaining long drives off the run and poor KO coverage. That is where you can lose a lot of games.

HopeSpringsEternal
10/17/2008, 06:08 PM
YOu might want to make up your mind. Did they quit or was it Venables' scheme?

Well Ace, after they came out with a scheme that gave up 525 yards and nearly a point per minute coupled with absolutely no leadership from the top down, they then quit. Were you honestly trying to say they would quit despite somebody trying to lead them or were you just playing stupid to make a point that didn't exist? You think they would've quit on Mike Stoops?

JLEW1818
10/17/2008, 06:10 PM
The title that you have entered is too long (87 characters). Please shorten it to 85 characters long.

what does that mean?

HopeSpringsEternal
10/17/2008, 06:10 PM
It's really interesting coming into this year, everyone on this board knew there were question marks at LB and the fact that we were breaking in two noobs in the backfield. We win some games against lesser competition and suddenly when we lose it's all BV's fault.
Face it, good offenses are lighting up defenses everywhere these days. I have more concerns about not sustaining long drives off the run and poor KO coverage. That is where you can lose a lot of games.

What's interesting is people who try to defend him with non-existent excuses against problems that have existed since his first day as DC. Now THAT is interesting.

Dan Thompson
10/17/2008, 06:19 PM
Everyone knows, including KU, that there is a pass defense weak spot over the middle.

sooneron
10/17/2008, 06:24 PM
Well Ace, after they came out with a scheme that gave up 525 yards and nearly a point per minute coupled with absolutely no leadership from the top down, they then quit. Were you honestly trying to say they would quit despite somebody trying to lead them or were you just playing stupid to make a point that didn't exist? You think they would've quit on Mike Stoops?

That makes no sense. It was obvious they had quit early in the third. When you say no leadership top down, I am assuming you mean Bob, he is the one that sets the tone. He is the leader. I saw Cody try to lead and then quit, they got behind and sat there like deer in headlights.
If you have guys that are going to quit, they will 99% of the time. So iff you want to say I'm playing stupid, I guess we can say you're playing the tool.
I'm sure none of those arizona teams have never quit on Mike. Maybe you can ask the 02 team how they felt when their scheme left them totally susceptible to play action pass. Which they were.

sooneron
10/17/2008, 06:27 PM
What's interesting is people who try to defend him with non-existent excuses against problems that have existed since his first day as DC. Now THAT is interesting.
Saying that doubts at LB and DB were non existent is brilliant, really, it is.
Who says I'm defending him? I'm saying the blame can definitely be spread around. When a team loses, they usually say it's a team loss. There's a reason for that. Ineffective offense, player's inexperience etc all go into the points on the board, and yes, scheme does too.

planosooner
10/17/2008, 09:11 PM
Why didnt we just run "the touchdown" play more often in that game. Seems pretty simple.

tulsaoilerfan
10/17/2008, 10:46 PM

The O scored 35; that should be enough to win every game on the schedule no matter what type of offense the other team is running