PDA

View Full Version : A Peaceful Departure

SteelClip49
10/16/2008, 08:42 AM
My grandfather was a part of the 17th Airborne Division in WW2, paratrooper and was mainly in Germany. This isn't about him but I thought I would throw that in there.

Anyways, he and my grandmother of 59 years live in a small community in Oklahoma where they live peacefully and such with others who have served their country whether it was WW2, Vietnam or Korea.

My grandfather knew several and one recently passed away. He wasn't in the Army but he was a Naval officer. He went to the burial and even though he didn't know him well... he really did, he said. My grandfather knew him because of the exact same sacrifices he took, his courage, honor and determination to fight for freedom.

There was no war, no guns (battle purpose), no bombs, no yelling, no screaming, no last gasps.... just an open Oklahoma countryside, a cemetery, a slight breeze, a few people, a few retired elder Naval officers, Marines and Army soldiers all dressed like they were on duty. There was a battle hymn, a gun salute, a big American flag in the background and an American flag over the casket as it was being put slowly into the grave.

My grandfather likes to sometimes read about his days in WW2 but never likes to talk about it because he never wanted to go over there but then there was no other choice. He said on the day of the burial that there were so many who died in combat and never got a proper burial. Some lived and lived long lives just like this guy... he got to live his life and got a nice burial, he was lucky where others weren't as lucky.

My grandfather had some emotions because another fellow veteran, no matter what branch he was, has passed on. He got to go peacefully surrounded by peace and love and a tribute by all branches of the Armed Forces.

I just sit back and try to imagine the scene, the setting.... but no matter how hard you try, sometimes a moment like that is only one that has to be witnessed rather than imagined.

My grandfather and the other retired servicemen saluted their departed friend, veteran and then they saluted the American flag and then saluted each other. They then went to sit and drink a few brews of coffee and then went home to kiss their loved ones and called it a day.

It was a good day he said. There aren't many days where you get to witness something so harmonious and beautiful, happy and sad. He hopes to be there as others depart and hopes he can have a peaceful departure like his fellow veteran did.

Just thought I would share this. God Bless.

KsSooner
10/16/2008, 09:08 AM
My Dad never, ever talks about his experiences during the war. He has kept in touch with quite a few of his buddies through Christmas cards, reunions, and occasional phone calls for over 60+ years. Sadly the Christams cards are dwindling now that many are passing away each year. Thoughts are with your grandfather...

Lott's Bandana
10/16/2008, 09:30 AM
Look at the vast accomplishments of the generation that, at a very young age, found our first-hand how precious life is...when you see these old gentlemen wearing their ball caps and garrison caps, say hello to them as a way of saying goodbye and thank you.

Thanks for the post. Excellent.

Sooner in Tampa
10/16/2008, 10:07 AM
My wife and I were at the Buccaneers game on Sunday and on a beer run I saw an older gentleman with his USMC baseball cap on. I gave him an OOH RAH and shook his hand. He was a very gracious man who thanked me noticing the hat. They did not get the name "The Greatest Generation" for nothing.

God Bless them.

StoopTroup
10/16/2008, 10:17 AM
Great stuff....