PDA

View Full Version : Oh wise South Ovalians a career question for you folks.

LilSooner
10/16/2008, 07:39 AM
I have been contacted by a very large pharma company to come up and interview with them this week. I would have a car, expenses and overall a raise. It's also a new division and instead of hospitals I would be working with veterinarians. A very different pace than what I am use to, also should be a better work life balance. Because God know what I have right now isn't very balanced.

I am just concerned that this would be taking a step back in my career. Normally people go from pharma to medical device and not the other way around.

Oh and just to make this Sooner related I would have to fly out on Friday for the final interview and would miss the game on Saturday.

yermom
10/16/2008, 07:42 AM
I have been contacted by a very large pharma company to come up and interview with them this week. I would have a car, expenses and overall a raise. It's also a new division and instead of hospitals I would be working with veterinarians. A very different pace than what I am use to, also should be a better work life balance. Because God know what I have right now isn't very balanced.

I am just concerned that this would be taking a step back in my career. Normally people go from pharma to medical device and not the other way around.

Oh and just to make this Sooner related I would have to fly out on Friday for the final interview and would miss the game on Saturday.

out.

yermom
10/16/2008, 07:45 AM
otherwise, it sounds like it would be a good move... i was kinda in a similar situation recently, but i don't know how it went yet ;)

SoonerJack
10/16/2008, 08:01 AM
Lil, I used to work for Pfizer's animal health division and have worked for several other vet-pharmas as a consultant. In general vets are good people to work with. Now, keep in mind you may have to deal with a lot of people that went to the following schools: Aggy, Aggies, Corn Aggies, and other universities that have vet schools (MU)...yada yada.

If it were me, and it's not, I'd choose the option for better work/life balance.

OU is going to roll KU anyway. Good luck with your decision.

85Sooner
10/16/2008, 08:01 AM
Were you a cheerleader?

LilSooner
10/16/2008, 08:07 AM
Were you a cheerleader?

Yes, and an all american.

Anyways, I have been in the OR for the last three years and really enjoyed it but if I went to an implant company I would be tied to the hospital 24/7 and never get to see my hubby which is no bueno.

This should have been a poll.

C&CDean
10/16/2008, 08:35 AM
Anything having to do with animals, and animal people is > anything having to do with people, and people people.

If I were young, and had to do it all over again, I'd be a large animal vet. **** Fifi the poodle and Bueno the chihuahua. I wanna put my hand up a bull's *** clean to my shoulder.

I have found vets are good people - in general. There's a few cranky ones out there - anybody know Doc Martin in Purcell? He retired, but he was a pistol for sure.

My advice? Take the gig. I'm a change kinda guy, and if it means more time with the big, bald galoot, then do it.

SoonerJack
10/16/2008, 08:43 AM
Also, vets have some very very funny stories.

proud gonzo
10/16/2008, 08:57 AM
Sounds like it's a good move for you. go for it.

SoonersEnFuego
10/16/2008, 09:05 AM
I would totally do it.
Plus dealing with the damn receptionists and nurses in Dr. offices always wanting a handout. Vet's offices are usually pretty laid back and you don't have to deal with jerks all day.

Sign up for ESPN text alerts and you won't miss anything. But put it on silent during the meeting or you won't have a decision to make.

frankensooner
10/16/2008, 09:07 AM
Car, expenses, a raise, slower pace, more life balance, sounds horrible!!! ;)

I worked in the public sector for several years. Long hours, but very challenging, when I got married and started a family, I was very glad that I got out of that and have more life balance. My advice is to go for it if you feel that this position is fairly long-term, with no worries of down-sizing and whatnot.

IB4OU2
10/16/2008, 09:12 AM
though you may have to wear alot of orange and black to maintain or improve your sales. :eek:

badger
10/16/2008, 09:13 AM
If I were young, and had to do it all over again, I'd be a large animal vet. **** Fifi the poodle and Bueno the chihuahua. I wanna put my hand up a bull's *** clean to my shoulder.

Ehhh. I know a family up north that invested everything in the large animal vet's business, but because farmers are struggling right now with milk prices and seed costs and as usual, the questionable weather, it's hard to get someone to take over the business now that he wants to retire. Younger out-of-college vets want to go where they can make money, and it isn't rural farm country.

Lott's Bandana
10/16/2008, 09:21 AM
Think about this:

With all the gloom in the economy, you are actually being afforded an opportunity to improve your situation. That is significant.

Besides, in your line of biz...get the money while you still got the cheerleader looks, because once you don't....

Jus' sayin.

soonerboomer93
10/16/2008, 10:05 AM
Lil, I could be wrong, but I though you had a think for animals as it was.

Heck, you even married a big gorilla

my advise, do what makes you happy. Don't make it about the money or benefits. You should never take a job for money alone unless you're in dire straights, or it's atleast a 15% raise. If those aren't factors then decide what you want out of life.

StoopTroup
10/16/2008, 10:11 AM
Take the bull by the whorns and tell them you can meet with them next week.

Don't miss the game.

My reasoning...

You said spending time with the Hubby was important...

Going to a Job interview instead of the game doesn't seem logical unless you didn't have a job and it was a must that you get one.

My two cents.

If your supposed to get that job...you will.

C&CDean
10/16/2008, 10:12 AM
Ehhh. I know a family up north that invested everything in the large animal vet's business, but because farmers are struggling right now with milk prices and seed costs and as usual, the questionable weather, it's hard to get someone to take over the business now that he wants to retire. Younger out-of-college vets want to go where they can make money, and it isn't rural farm country.

When are you going to realize you're not in Kenosha anymore Toto?

Dairy farming is a completely different animal than beef farming. You can't hardly get a vet to come out anymore because they're so busy. The guy in Newcastle makes brazillions of $$ on large animal only business. Yes, there's more money overall in treating some dumbasses stupid cat for herpes, but if you like the big animals, there's a lot of money in it.

LilSooner
10/16/2008, 10:17 AM
Yeah I love animals.

Actually found out some things this morning and it might not be a good time for me to make the jump. There was a complete 180 in my current position that happened this morning and the more that I think about it, I just don't want to be a pharma rep. The more research that I have done as well is that the money won't be as good either over the long run.

The good thing is that if I ever do decide to make the jump I have a family member that is a big wig at one of the big pharma companies and he has been wanting me to come to work for them for a while.

Oh and as far as my looks go I don't have to worry for a while about looking old. Everyone still thinks I'm barely out of HS as it is. In what I do now relationships mean more than looks, but I know that isn't how it is in pharma.

tommieharris91
10/16/2008, 10:26 AM
My advice? Take the gig. I'm a change kinda guy, and if it means more time with the big, bald galoot, then do it.

You're voting for Obama? ;)

StoopTroup
10/16/2008, 10:31 AM
I changed my mind....kinda...

A nice girl like you shouldn't have to work.

Lott's Bandana
10/16/2008, 10:36 AM
Oh and as far as my looks go I don't have to worry for a while about looking old. Everyone still thinks I'm barely out of HS as it is. In what I do now relationships mean more than looks, but I know that isn't how it is in pharma.

And you're smart too!

Bonus!!

:D

Oldnslo
10/16/2008, 11:08 AM
Money is like air... or sex.

It only matters if you don't have it.

I know you've already made your choice. In the future, go for the life balance thing. $ is way overrated and, in general, is a crappy way to keep score.

soonerboomer93
10/16/2008, 11:13 AM
oh, when i go back overseas soon(tm)
my salary increase will buy my happeness
(or is it that my paycut in the states makes me sad ??)

actually, i just have a lot of fun working over seas

C&CDean
10/16/2008, 12:48 PM
Money is like air... or sex.

It only matters if you don't have it.

I know you've already made your choice. In the future, go for the life balance thing. $ is way overrated and, in general, is a crappy way to keep score.

Hear him.

Viking Kitten
10/16/2008, 01:09 PM
Lots of good advice in this thread, Lil. The only thing I'd add is that it never hurts to just go to the interview and hear what they have to say. You might find out it really is something you want to do.

soonerboomer93
10/16/2008, 02:02 PM

and the fact that you're 4'2 and barely above their waist doesn't help either ;)

*and yes, that was a real reach for the joke, but well, i could probably use the shin kicking

Viking Kitten
10/16/2008, 02:48 PM
Cue the Rhino-Hulk fark.

soonerboomer93
10/16/2008, 02:55 PM
I Figured someone would hulk fark after the married an animal comment,

but nooooo....