PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma v. Texas in Orange Bowl?

SoonerShark
10/16/2008, 12:10 AM
If both OU (11-1) and UT (13-0) win out would it put both in the Orange Bowl? We need LesU to beat the Tide. We need Penn State to lose in an upset since it is in a weak conference. Of course, UT and OU going undefeated the rest of the way in this league is less than a given.

I would prefer to NOT have to play in KC in December in the night time. KC got Jason hurt in December 2003, which hurt us in January, but if we run the table, I like our chances of getting to Miami if not KC. If UT loses a game they are still ahead of us in the race for KC. We could be rated higher and stay in Norman in December.

5thYearSooner
10/16/2008, 12:14 AM
You are right! All the bowl losses we suffered sincec 2003 came when we played BIG12 championship game! I would care less for BIG12 CG if u could win BCSNCG!
"people said..U are a No1 team ..U gave up 45! I say..U gave up 35 and still no 1.."

JLEW1818
10/16/2008, 12:14 AM
I think a 1 loss SEC champ gets voted ahead of us. If it comes to that.

SoonerShark
10/16/2008, 12:25 AM
It depends upon when the team loses. And the computers. If we win out we will have beaten good OSU and Tech teams.

SoonerShark
10/16/2008, 12:26 AM
I like our chances against UT in Miami, and here is why:

We scored five offensive TDs to UT's four. We lost our defensive QB in the guise of the LB Reynolds and by January somebody else will be better versed in the intricacies of the role. Before Reynolds went down, we were doing fairly well against the UT offense when we did not get penalties called against us, which should be an act under our own control.

Upon reviewing the Tivo recording of the game tonight before I deleted it , we gave UT multiple first downs off of freakin' offsides plays when UT would have had to punt. How often do you see so many defensive offsides penalties? Those were truly our own fault. But from there on, the Tivo lied. We were called for personal fouls on the QB when the LB was seemingly attempting to hold the QB up. But the officials were there, so surely the Tivo lied when it showed that it was an act as a good Samaritan and not a foul. The announcers stated, after review, that it was NOT a personal foul, but a bad call. I only have the advantage of HD Tivo and a HD TV, but it did look like the Sooner player did intercept McCoy's pass and had control of the ball before hitting the turf, so the Tivo, HD TV and ABC announcers were each lying when they called it an interception after review.

But Tivo has lied before. Examples are:

1) Against Tech in 2005, it looked clearly as if Tech only got 9 of 10 yards on its last drive, what with the ball being one yard behind the first down line, but a first down was awarded and the ball advanced 1.5 yards from where Tivo wrongly showed the placement of the ball should have been.

2) Against Oregon in 2006, Allen Patrick on Tivo looked as if he had the ball and was standing there with no other player near the ball but it was awarded to Oregon.

3) Against UT in 2006, the OU QB threw the ball from the 11 yard line to the 12.5 yard line in front of Adrian Peterson, who did not cover the ball since it was a forward pass. The officials called it a fumble. Since the refs would not make mistakes and the replay officials would not side with them wrongly, the Tivo lied. In Dallas, the 12.5 yard line must be behind the 11 yard line.

One way Tivo did show the truth was our kick-off teams are abysmal. Another way Tivo told the truth is that no Sooner defense should allow a single running play to go 62 yards against us with less than 6 minutes left. Tivo correctly showed no Sooner defensive player within several feet of a Longhorn receiver as they ran wild, but that has happened for years.

SoonerShark
10/16/2008, 12:27 AM
We did not drop very far in the polls. That is an advantage.

yermom
10/16/2008, 12:29 AM
we'd need some help, like no other 1 loss teams, or at least no one-loss USC or SEC champ

tooslow
10/16/2008, 12:29 AM
If UT loses a game they are still ahead of us in the race for KC. We could be rated higher and stay in Norman in December.

Unless the one loss is to a one loss OSU team who lost to a one loss OU team. Then we go to KC and possibly the MNC game. :D If OSU is undefeated when we play on 11/29, you can bet they will be in the top 2. No way Alabama goes undefeated, I'm guessing at least 2 losses for every SEC team. Maybe Penn State, as they have no competition. We would be ranked in the top 5, and would score major BCS points for beating a high ranked OSU team.

That's a definite. No way a 1 loss SEC champ gets left out.

SoonerShark
10/16/2008, 12:53 AM
That's a definite. No way a 1 loss SEC champ gets left out.

Unless that one loss is by 30 to the Gators.

5thYearSooner
10/16/2008, 01:03 AM
:D

sooner59
10/16/2008, 01:15 AM

touch'e

olevetonahill
10/16/2008, 01:27 AM
Yall make MY head hurt :mad:

tooslow
10/16/2008, 01:31 AM

If Texas goes undefeated, wins the Big XII, and the only 2 teams with one loss are OU and LSU, I would bet the farm that LSU goes to the BCS title game before we would. I would love to see us go, but I just can't see the media allowing it to happen. I also think there would be a backlash on how we've performed on the big stage in the last couple of years, no matter how unfair that is. Ohio State sure has suffered a, "Please don't let them play for another title!" backlash. Then again, like the weatherman, I've been wrong many times before. :D

Fraggle145
10/16/2008, 01:36 AM
we'd need some help, like no other 1 loss teams, or at least no one-loss USC or SEC champ

I think for this scenario to work we'd also need at least one loss, probably a bad loss, (if not 2) by Penn St. If it is to tOSU, we may need another loss by them as well.

yermom
10/16/2008, 01:40 AM
yeah, i mean only Texas being undefeated

Texas could also potentially lose to some crappy team and still win the Big 12 but be ranked below us

OU_Sooners75
10/16/2008, 03:06 AM
1. Lets focus on one game at a time. We have given a road map for the rest of the teams to defeat us.

2. Ranked #4/#6 we still control our own destiny. We win out, the chances are, we will be in a BCS Game one way or the other. We lose one more, we will be in Dallas or San Diego.

3. Before the start of the season, I stated in my preview that OU would lose one game. Not sure to whom, I said, but was thinking Texass. I had both OU and Texas undefeated entering the game and had Texas losing 2-3 games. This is still very attainable.

I do not think Texas can continue to play at the level they are playing. I still see OU (not being a total homer here) as perhaps the best overall team. Things went against OU and went Texas' way more often than not.

So, with that BS said, lets hope our players and coaches continue to focus on the main goals set out for this season. They are all still very much alive.

OU_Sooners75
10/16/2008, 03:08 AM

Like Florida?

If both OU and texas win out, that means Texas would be 13-0 and #1. OU would be 11-1 and only loss was to Texas.

Florida, USC, and other 1 loss teams have all lost to unranked teams so far this year.

Right now, I would be putting OU over any 1 loss team!

StormySooner-IN
10/16/2008, 06:09 AM
It ain't the Orange Bowl.

yermom
10/16/2008, 07:39 AM
1. Lets focus on one game at a time. We have given a road map for the rest of the teams to defeat us.

2. Ranked #4/#6 we still control our own destiny. We win out, the chances are, we will be in a BCS Game one way or the other. We lose one more, we will be in Dallas or San Diego.

3. Before the start of the season, I stated in my preview that OU would lose one game. Not sure to whom, I said, but was thinking Texass. I had both OU and Texas undefeated entering the game and had Texas losing 2-3 games. This is still very attainable.

I do not think Texas can continue to play at the level they are playing. I still see OU (not being a total homer here) as perhaps the best overall team. Things went against OU and went Texas' way more often than not.

So, with that BS said, lets hope our players and coaches continue to focus on the main goals set out for this season. They are all still very much alive.

let's see how those kickoff coverage changes go...

that game in Stillwater keeps looking worse and worse as the season goes on too. there is a lot of season left

A Horn
10/16/2008, 07:52 AM
That would be wild. Look for Bama to lose a game for sure.

SteelClip49
10/16/2008, 08:08 AM
The goal is NOT the Orange Bowl.

Iam4OUru
10/16/2008, 09:33 AM
Florida, USC, and other 1 loss teams have all lost to unranked teams so far this year.

UGA lost to Bammer (ranked)
Mizery lost to OSU (ranked)
LSU lost to Florida (ranked)
tOSU lost to USC (ranked)

soonervegas
10/16/2008, 10:21 AM
No way we get in over a 1-loss SEC, Big 10 (outside of Ohio State), or USC. I am putting my money on Texas splitting the following games Mizzou, OSU, at Tech, at Kansas. I think Bedlam may end up being for a trip to KC this year (for possibly both schools).

I am all for OU ending up in KC.

CaliBornSoonerBred
10/16/2008, 10:34 AM
No way we get in over a 1-loss SEC, Big 10 (outside of Ohio State), or USC. I am putting my money on Texas splitting the following games Mizzou, OSU, at Tech, at Kansas. I think OU-OSU may end up being for a trip to KC this year (for possibly both schools).

I am all for OU ending up in KC.

If we win out and texass loses 2 games, we can beat a fairly high ranked misery in the BigXII title game. If we win the Big 12 with one loss, and an SEC team wins their division with one loss, I would venture to say we both get in over SUC due to all the love we've been getting about the conference being so tough. There's a lot of "if's" in the equation but if texass doesn't lose to misery, we have to look out for a ton of losses by other teams which is never fun. I feel like such an idiot being a hater of all other schools and hoping for them to lost during the season just to better our program.

JLEW1818
10/16/2008, 10:43 AM
Like Florida?

If both OU and texas win out, that means Texas would be 13-0 and #1. OU would be 11-1 and only loss was to Texas.

Right now, I would be putting OU over any 1 loss team!

This might have worked back in 2003-2004. Like when we lost to Kstate and USC only had 1 loss, and it was to an UN ranked team (Cal). There was so much controversy b/c we got in. Look at the 1 loss SEC team (lsu), they got in because they are freaking SEC, and USC got first place votes b/c they our USC. I don't see us catching a break again. And by the way, we were in the big 12 championship when we lost. If Texas does not lose 2, we wont be.

Teams that could get in before Oklahoma

Undefeated Big 12 champ
1 loss big 12 champ
Undefeated SEC champ
1 loss SEC champ
Big Ten Champ

JLEW1818
10/16/2008, 10:50 AM
If we win out and texass loses 2 games, we can beat a fairly high ranked misery in the BigXII title game. If we win the Big 12 with one loss, and an SEC team wins their division with one loss, I would venture to say we both get in over SUC due to all the love we've been getting about the conference being so tough. There's a lot of "if's" in the equation but if texass doesn't lose to misery, we have to look out for a ton of losses by other teams which is never fun. I feel like such an idiot being a hater of all other schools and hoping for them to lost during the season just to better our program.

If we win out and Texas loses 2 games, we will be in the National Championship. Would not matter if a big 10 team went undefeated. Again I'm calling Oklahoma vs. USC

Soonermagik
10/16/2008, 10:54 AM
There are still several ways for OU to get to the championship game, but some things need to be fixed first.

Special teams, running the ball and linebacker play must improve. If those things are improved then the odds go way up for a NC.

MojoRisen
10/16/2008, 11:20 AM

Undefeated Big 12 champ
1 loss big 12 champ
Undefeated SEC champ
1 loss SEC champ
Big Ten Champ[/QUOTE]

No way Penn St or Ohio St jump us if we win out and they both have lost one. No way

SEC champ could jump us if it is Florida - otherwise no

SteelClip49
10/16/2008, 11:24 AM
Only way a 1 loss Penn State would get in over a 1 loss Oklahoma is for the world to give Joe Paterno a possible retirement present.... kind of like what people thought was done for Osborne in 1994.

soonermix
10/16/2008, 01:13 PM
for this to happen we would need for these things to happen...

every sec team to have at least 2 losses
usc to lose again
penn st to lose to somebody besides tosu
and probably tosu to lose to somebody else
and the winner of the utah byu game to look bad in a couple of games.
and both OU and texas to win out

PalmBeachSooner1
10/16/2008, 02:29 PM
I hate to say this because it hurts, but until we can create even a hint of decency on Special Teams, we don't belong there. I hope we can turn it around though.

soonerboomer93
10/16/2008, 02:35 PM
Reading the football forum is like watching Springer

some of you ****tards do make me feel better when i've had a crappy day...

OU_Sooners75
10/16/2008, 09:08 PM
let's see how those kickoff coverage changes go...

that game in Stillwater keeps looking worse and worse as the season goes on too. there is a lot of season left

That OSU game plays into our strengths when it comes to defense.

As always, I am always worried about that game. However, being it is the last game of the season, and barring anything else drastic happening with our defense, I like the chances.

The kicking coverage has been pathetic. However, after the KO return for Texass, our coverage buckled down and did not allow another big return.

OU_Sooners75
10/16/2008, 09:10 PM
UGA lost to Bammer (ranked)
Mizery lost to OSU (ranked)
LSU lost to Florida (ranked)
tOSU lost to USC (ranked)

And?

Florida lost to Ole Miss.
USC lost to Oregon State.
Bama will not go undefeated.
LSU will lose at least one more game.
tOSU could end up running the table. But they will not jump us if they do.
BYU is losing to TCU

Ranked #4 in the AP #6 in the Coaches, with some very tough games left, OU is sitting very pretty if they win out.

OU_Sooners75
10/16/2008, 09:13 PM
This might have worked back in 2003-2004. Like when we lost to Kstate and USC only had 1 loss, and it was to an UN ranked team (Cal). There was so much controversy b/c we got in. Look at the 1 loss SEC team (lsu), they got in because they are freaking SEC, and USC got first place votes b/c they our USC. I don't see us catching a break again. And by the way, we were in the big 12 championship when we lost. If Texas does not lose 2, we wont be.

Undefeated Big 12 champ
1 loss big 12 champ
Undefeated SEC champ
1 loss SEC champ
Big Ten Champ

Obviously, you do not know how the BCS works.

The only way any team that is behind OU passes OU is if the humans jump them in the last poll. Which would show an agenda and be a travesty.

All that matters is who is #1 and #2 in the final BCS rankings.

BudSooner
10/16/2008, 09:18 PM
If if if if if, please..if my mother in law had wheels she would be a wagon.

Let the season play out eh?

"if my pinto had better wheels it would be Lamborghini"

"If I had twenty more bucks, I could be a millionaire"

"If Colt the dolt had any less talent he would be a bartender....."

Ok, that last one is actually spot on.

JLEW1818
10/17/2008, 09:31 AM
Obviously, you do not know how the BCS works.

The only way any team that is behind OU passes OU is if the humans jump them in the last poll. Which would show an agenda and be a travesty.

All that matters is who is #1 and #2 in the final BCS rankings.

I understand that. I think voters will take SEC. " Voters" . Not me.

JLEW1818
10/17/2008, 09:37 AM
I'm just glad this # 8 BYU crap is over with.

IronHorseSooner
10/17/2008, 12:15 PM
I have both UTerus and 'Bama losing this weekend. Both opponents, Mizzou and Ole Miss, are bad match-ups for them. Ole Miss plays to the level of their competition (see FLA, then the loss to South Carolina).

Mizzou's offense is more diverse than ours, and their special teams are really good. Their D has playmakers at all 3 levels. Aggie Lite was just a bad match up for them.

Penn State has two tough games left- @tOSU and @ MSU. I say that just 1 loss by PSU eliminates the Big 10. tOSU's and MSU's losses both came to PAC-10 teams (and tOSU's was awful). tOSU will not give up that Big 10 crown easily, and MSU will simply look to play keep away with Ringer left, Ringer right, Ringer up the middle.

No way does SUC jump us. They have maxed out their poll positions unless all of the Big XII and SEC teams start dropping like flies. They may lose to Arizona in Tucson ('Zona's annual "shocker in the desert"), but I don't think it will matter.

TCU's win over BYU pretty much assures that a non-BCS school will not get in over a BCS school this year. Utah will likely lose to TCU or BYU, Boise isn't close enough, and Ball St. and Tulsa are way too far back.

Mark it down. If we win out, will be playing in Miami for it all.

JLEW1818
10/17/2008, 12:40 PM
The reason why I think its going to be Oklahoma vs. USC is because Ohio State is going to beat Penn state. Which will help the Trojans, and I think others will lose, just like every year.

proudsoonergal
10/17/2008, 08:49 PM
Plus, OU always plays in the BCS Orange Bowl MNC game. So we've got tradition on our side. :D You know, like LSU in the freakin' Sugar Bowl.

Big Red Ron
10/17/2008, 10:04 PM
If both OU (11-1) and UT (13-0) win out would it put both in the Orange Bowl? We need LesU to beat the Tide. We need Penn State to lose in an upset since it is in a weak conference. Of course, UT and OU going undefeated the rest of the way in this league is less than a given.

I would prefer to NOT have to play in KC in December in the night time. KC got Jason hurt in December 2003, which hurt us in January, but if we run the table, I like our chances of getting to Miami if not KC. If UT loses a game they are still ahead of us in the race for KC. We could be rated higher and stay in Norman in December.
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122352