PDA

View Full Version : Seriously...Why is JM slipping and BO gaining in the polls? Discuss

Rogue
10/15/2008, 07:50 PM
Nope, I can't come up with all the options to make it a pole.

It's been saddening to see JM flame-out the past few weeks. I admire the hell out of the man.

Is it that BO is out-spending him?
Did the negative gloves-off tactics burn him?
Is it the economy?
An unpopular POTUS dragging him down?
Is it Palin?
(If so, how is BO moving up with Biden as the VP nominee? Biden is as big of a disaster as Palin IMO)

Mainstream media bias killing JM's candidacy?
Polls have gone crazy and are totally wrong?
A vast right-wing conspiracy to lull the Donks into a false sense of security?

Or, like I heard on talk radio today, is the slippage just overblown and it's still "too close to call?"

Other?

I think Palin has hurt him badly. And that the campaign made a mistake in "suspending the campaign" for the bailout bill that didn't happen and then compounded the mistake by reminding us at every public appearance of this dumb move. And, that BO is outspending him.

I'm surprised. Who are all of these late "undecided" people who are changing? I thought there were only like a dozen undecided voters left in the whole galaxy.

Curly Bill
10/15/2008, 07:51 PM
Another option is that by and large Americans are clueless.

Harry Beanbag
10/15/2008, 07:53 PM

I would amend that to say that both candidates suck donkey dicks and that by and large Americans are sick of the whole thing and just don't care any more.

oumartin
I agree with Curly Bill.

GottaHavePride
Biden may not be a great choice, but he's experienced enough to know when to stay out of the spotlight. Palin keeps putting her foot in it.

AND the economy. Back at the beginning of the week Obama announced a pretty detailed plan to react to the economy; he was calling it a "bailout for the middle class". McCain's reaction, from what I saw, was "we don't know what we're going to do yet, but Obama isn't right." That was the day the DOW bounced upward about 1,000 points.

def_lazer_fc
10/15/2008, 07:56 PM
palin, character assassination while pretty much ignoring the economy, a clueless campaign that changes its tactics every other day. thats my top 3

VeeJay
10/15/2008, 07:58 PM
Economy
Palin

tommieharris91
10/15/2008, 08:03 PM
Economy

GottaHavePride
10/15/2008, 08:04 PM
Yeah, McCain's campaign right now is the OU defense. Slow to react to the situation. As soon as the economy tanked he needed to move much more aggressively. Didn't happen.

Chuck Bao
10/15/2008, 08:06 PM
It's only one thing - the economy. And, I still don't think most Americans have a clue how bad it will get.

TUSooner
10/15/2008, 08:26 PM
McCain acts rashly: He picks Palin over eleventeen-hundred better Elephants, and he "suspends his campaign" so he can.....well, do nothing significant.
Obama stays cool under the pressure of the campaign.

Curly Bill
10/15/2008, 09:04 PM
McCain acts rashly: He picks Palin over eleventeen-hundred better Elephants, and he "suspends his campaign" so he can.....well, do nothing significant.
Obama stays cool under the pressure of the campaign.

He was born in the Middle East...of course he can stay cool, it was a matter of survival for him growing up in Iran. :D

Edmond Sooner
10/15/2008, 09:35 PM
Economy
Agnew

Sooner_Havok
10/15/2008, 09:37 PM
I see our "future" every night at work Curly...

We are so screwed.

olevetonahill
10/15/2008, 09:51 PM

It's been saddening to see JM flame-out the past few weeks. I admire the hell out of the man.

Is it the economy?
Is it Palin?
(If so, how is BO moving up with Biden as the VP nominee? Biden is as big of a disaster as Palin IMO)

Or, like I heard on talk radio today, is the slippage just overblown and it's still "too close to call?"

Other?

I think Palin has hurt him badly. And that the campaign made a mistake in "suspending the campaign" for the bailout bill that didn't happen and then compounded the mistake by reminding us at every public appearance of this dumb move. And, that BO is outspending him.

I'm surprised. Who are all of these late "undecided" people who are changing? I thought there were only like a dozen undecided voters left in the whole galaxy.

# 1 and 2
Heres My call , Obama talks purty. JSM talks tuff.
on the eve of 11-04 we will see .

soonerhubs
10/15/2008, 09:53 PM
Does anyone have a tangible side by side comparison of where these two stand on all the issues? Table format, plzkthnks. :D

sooneron
10/15/2008, 09:56 PM
Talking doesn't matter too much when you aren't providing a whole lot of answers. I don't think either guy is the right person for where this country is at the moment.
I think a lot of JM's slippage has to with everything- negative campaigns, the peeps in the middle being put off by the yainch from the yukon, the money pit that is iraq, and yes, the economy is the biggest.

sooneron
10/15/2008, 09:57 PM
Does anyone have a tangible side by side comparison of where these two stand on all the issues? Table format, plzkthnks. :D

Didn't you get the pledge of allegiance e-mail?
:texan:

Penguin
10/15/2008, 09:58 PM
I'm sure it's because of the horribly unpopular president. Any Republican would be struggling.

sooneron
10/15/2008, 09:59 PM
I'm sure it's because of the horribly unpopular president. Any Republican would be struggling.

Oh yeah, I forgot that one.

GottaHavePride
10/15/2008, 09:59 PM
Actually, The Wichita Eagle just did a full page of that earlier in the week. I don't know if it's online or not. I also don't know how slanted it was, it was from McClatchy Newspapers staff.

LosAngelesSooner
10/15/2008, 10:49 PM

Is it the economy?
Is it Palin?

Other?

I'm surprised. Who are all of these late "undecided" people who are changing? I thought there were only like a dozen undecided voters left in the whole galaxy.In order?
Financial Crisis
Sarah Palin
Negative Ads
Unpopular President

That's my .02.

Sooner98
10/15/2008, 11:07 PM
1. The economy. Ugh.

2. Bush's approval ratings linger somewhere between that of Rosie O'Donnell's and O.J. Simpson's.

3. Obama has a pretty smile that many people require in a Presidential candidate, for some reason.

Sarah Palin has virtually nothing to do with it.

Frozen Sooner
10/15/2008, 11:56 PM
http://images.dailykos.com/images/user/1237/mccain_buggin.gif

;)

Sooner_Havok
10/16/2008, 12:35 AM

;)

Can that one replace Garry?

Sooner02
10/16/2008, 01:37 AM
"Ayers, Acorn, Lewis...taxes....Joe the Plumber!"
http://images.dailykos.com/images/user/1054/mctongue.jpg

TUSooner
10/16/2008, 06:30 AM

;)

Is that "mavericky"?

85Sooner
10/16/2008, 07:32 AM
The American people as a whole are ignorant. ( I did not say stupid) They have no idea of the way Gov works or the real dangers that lurk thanks to the educational system, the main stream media and frankly a populace who has given up on them. Atlus Shrugged is about to be realized.

LesNessman
10/16/2008, 07:38 AM

I have one that should be paramount:

Obama wants unrestricted abortion and fought against protecting babies who survived abortion attempts.

McCain is pro-life and for protecting babies that survived abortion attempts.

Life. That's a right in the Declaration of Independence, I believe. And you can't have liberty and the pursuit of happiness without it.

85Sooner
10/16/2008, 08:10 AM

Obama wants unrestricted abortion and fought against protecting babies who survived abortion attempts.

Life. That's a right in the Declaration of Independence, I believe. And you can't have liberty and the pursuit of happiness without it.

Yeah, thats Hussein O. But don't worry, I am sure he has probably never seen the document.

85Sooner
10/16/2008, 08:34 AM
Wonder if BO will use his middle name when he takes the oath of office? Every president that I can remember did.

I, Barack Hussein Obama do solemnly swear..........................

The muslims willl be cheering for joy throughout the world (whether he is muslim or not.

jage
10/16/2008, 08:38 AM
1. Economy
2. Palin
3. Negative campaign

I respected McCain before the campaign. I was even going to vote for him. Now...not so much.

badger
10/16/2008, 08:44 AM
As a lifelong Republican, I don't see any benefit of keeping a Republican president anymore over having a Democratic president.

The Republican president currently in office has really not kept the Congressional Democrats in check, which is what an opposing president/Congress should do for the leadership on the other side of the aisle, president/Congress.

The Republican president currently in office has done nothing to lower national spending and lower taxes to offset expenditures... well, perhaps the taxes are lower, but I haven't seen any relief.

The Republican president is in office while businesses are crumbling... isn't this the OPPOSITE of what should be happening?!

I was really hoping John McCain would address these issues, but rather, he is trying to distance himself from W., and as such, makes him seem more inclined to side with Democrats, which is why we wouldn't want to vote for Barack in the first place and I'm sorry McCain, but what you said last night in regards to Sarah Palin being a role model for women... I don't want to picture myself as Sarah Palin in 30 years, thank you very much. She is not my role model.

It comes down to the fact that it seems like everything is going wrong right now and with that in mind, I think others see that as a reason why there needs to somebody incredibly different from the current administration in office immediately.

Also, don't forget the bandwagon effect. Just like you're gonna see more Poke State and Saxet shirts pop up now than, say, Rocky Top Tennessee and Clemson Tigers gear, people like to be on the winning side. People will support the candidate they think is going to win. Thus, Obama looks like the No. 1 ranked candidate right now and he'll earn the bandwagon support.

Partial Qualifier
10/16/2008, 09:10 AM
1) Very unpopular 2-term Republican president
2) McCain's poorly-executed campaign

This was going to be a Democrat's year no matter what. Frankly I'm surprised the polls are this close.

Obama's platform is simple and effective: Change. It's what the country wishes for and he's not affiliated with the incumbent's party - boom. Don't gaffe it up and you're in.

I ideologically align with McCain, but I'm resigned to the fact that Obama will win this election and won't lose sleep about it.

What *does* bother me -- I'm dismayed about the whole state of Washington politics, not the least aspect is the fact that these two people are the best we could do. Obama = young, a little shady, a little risky. Battled it out with Hillary ****ing Clinton for crying out loud. HILLARY CLINTON!

McCain = 15-or-so years past his prime, and got barely a challenge from the other Republican hopefuls. Huh?? Nonetheless, McCain's moderate enough to be a viable contender this year -- but then his campaign totally screwed the pooch. If he was ready to lead, he would've made better choices during his campaign.

And these two choices are the best we can do... WTF.

humblesooner
10/16/2008, 10:00 AM
1) Very unpopular 2-term Republican president
2) McCain's poorly-executed campaign

This was going to be a Democrat's year no matter what. Frankly I'm surprised the polls are this close.

Obama's platform is simple and effective: Change. It's what the country wishes for and he's not affiliated with the incumbent's party - boom. Don't gaffe it up and you're in.

I ideologically align with McCain, but I'm resigned to the fact that Obama will win this election and won't lose sleep about it.

What *does* bother me -- I'm dismayed about the whole state of Washington politics, not the least aspect is the fact that these two people are the best we could do. Obama = young, a little shady, a little risky. Battled it out with Hillary ****ing Clinton for crying out loud. HILLARY CLINTON!

McCain = 15-or-so years past his prime, and got barely a challenge from the other Republican hopefuls. Huh?? Nonetheless, McCain's moderate enough to be a viable contender this year -- but then his campaign totally screwed the pooch. If he was ready to lead, he would've made better choices during his campaign.

And these two choices are the best we can do... WTF.

Man - I agree with your entire post. The more I see of McCain, the more I wonder how he won the GOP nomination. C'mon - Romney couldn't outwit McCain? I think the Repub's decided that W's approval ratings were so low that they needed to move as far away from him as they could. The result? John McCain. In hindsight, they probably should have looked for a candidate that was more Republican, but had a personality.

As for the Dems, agree. No experience versus Hillary. That reminds me of the Louisiana Governor race a few years back when the choices were a confessed and convicted political crook or a prominent member of the KKK. What kind of choice is that?

I too am resolved to the fact that the Dems are going to win this election and there is probably not much I can do about it.

I have two pieces of consolation:
1. Obama's lack of experience will cost him in 2012 and Hillary will not be able to unseat the incumbent.
2. I really like Joe Biden as a person. Even though he is a Dem, I think he is as close to being a person who cares about the American people as the Dems have.

SoonerStormchaser
10/16/2008, 10:19 AM
The American people as a whole are ignorant. ( I did not say stupid) They have no idea of the way Gov works or the real dangers that lurk thanks to the educational system, the main stream media and frankly a populace who has given up on them. Atlus Shrugged is about to be realized.

I will say that the American people as a whole ARE stupid. The majority of them can no longer think for themselves...

My Opinion Matters
10/16/2008, 12:10 PM
I will say that the American people as a whole ARE stupid. The majority of them can no longer think for themselves...

8 dictionary results for: irony
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
i·ro·ny1 /ˈaɪrəni, ˈaɪər-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ahy-ruh-nee, ahy-er-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun, plural -nies. 1. the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning: the irony of her reply, “How nice!” when I said I had to work all weekend.
2. Literature. a. a technique of indicating, as through character or plot development, an intention or attitude opposite to that which is actually or ostensibly stated.
b. (esp. in contemporary writing) a manner of organizing a work so as to give full expression to contradictory or complementary impulses, attitudes, etc., esp. as a means of indicating detachment from a subject, theme, or emotion.
3. Socratic irony.
4. dramatic irony.
5. an outcome of events contrary to what was, or might have been, expected.
6. the incongruity of this.
7. an objectively sardonic style of speech or writing.
8. an objectively or humorously sardonic utterance, disposition, quality, etc.

:texan:

KC//CRIMSON
10/16/2008, 12:16 PM
Is that "mavericky"?

or Montezuma paying a visit.

LosAngelesSooner
10/16/2008, 02:32 PM
It's interesting how I would take that exact same premise and come to the completely different conclusion that the very ignorance we're talking about explains how Bush was elected twice because "I'd like to have a beer with him," and because, "he seems just like me and not some intellectual elite," and why his Cowboy Diplomacy has run rampant for the past 8 years. :rolleyes:

LosAngelesSooner
10/16/2008, 02:33 PM

You realize that even the laziest and most minimal amount of research shows that the above statement isn't true?

Also, in my opinion, Abortion is one of the LEAST important factors in this election. BY FAR.

LosAngelesSooner
10/16/2008, 02:34 PM
Wonder if BO will use his middle name when he takes the oath of office? Every president that I can remember did.

The muslims willl be cheering for joy throughout the world (whether he is muslim or not.And now would you explain to me why this question even matters?

Tulsa_Fireman
10/16/2008, 02:37 PM
His middle name is HUSSEIN. He be de debbil!

Duh.

LosAngelesSooner
10/16/2008, 03:10 PM
Thanks, Fire Guy. :D

Tulsa_Fireman
10/16/2008, 03:22 PM
I forgot.

He hates plumbers and plumbing. LIKE A DIRTY ARAB.

Rogue
10/17/2008, 05:12 AM
I don't underestimate the fact that BO is outspending JM. JM even whined about it in the last debate ad nauseum. The fact that we see BO's face on the teevee more often is a big deal. BO's campaign team has run much smarter than JM's.

Also, the deal people have spoken to already...JM's grumpy old man persona vs. BO's fresh young stately persona. Palin was supposed to be fresh and young...the stately part is where she failed miserably. Only those on the farthest fringes of the right are comfortable with the notion of her being a heartbeat away from POTUS.

Sad, really. I admire the hell outta JM as a man and as a Senator. He's done well for his country for a lifetime and to watch his political demise is not something I'm enjoying.

I am still surprised to see the polls moving around this time of year after such a long campaign.

Okla-homey
10/17/2008, 05:32 AM
This thing ain't over. Gallup daily yesterday has it a dead heat among likely voters. And the Sith Lords of the GOP are ginning up legal challenges to voter registration irregularities all over the country.

Heck, I myself have been enlisted to serve as a poll watcher in North Tulsa on 'lection day.:D

RCP average of all polling has BHO up by 6.8. That is remarkable given the mainstream press has already anointed him, and the luminati have declared JSM's horse is dead.
If I were a donk, I'd be biting my fingernails because HTF do you explain only a 6.8 lead when the entire country is allegedly so mad at the 'Pubs? I'll tell you. BHO's assertion that the only people whose taxes will go up are folks that make $250K or more. Guess what BHO, that hammers an awful lot of small business people who check the block for pass through taxation on their business (e.g. sole propreitorships, LLC's, S corps, partnerships, etc.)

That, and BHO hangs out with very shady folks and has the thinnest resume in the history of US presidential politics.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/us/general_election_mccain_vs_obama-225.html

Skysooner
10/17/2008, 09:57 AM
Homey,

You can't seriously be buying into the Gallup traditional voters poll. We are in one of the worst financial meltdowns this country has ever seen. This is not a typical election year, and Obama is up 6%-11% in the expanded traditional voters poll for the last month. Legal challenges to voting irregularities basically means nothing unless we come down to a Florida 500 vote thing between the candidates. Right now the electoral map is showing a huge advantage for Obama. McCain is getting most of his votes from very traditional Republican strongholds. Obama is getting the same from Democratic strongholds, but there is a reason that people in these swing states have started to switch over to Obama.

GWB hurts McCain big time. His age hurts him since we look over and see Palin who is in no way, shape, or form ready to be President.

McCain needed to come out and espouse an economic policy long before he did, and the policies he is coming out with now are all over the place. His campaign smacks of desperation at this point, and people don't like voting for the "desperate" candidate.

McCain's strength is foreign policy. That just doesn't matter to most people in this election given their retirement accounts are in the tank. People vote their pocket books most of the time.

I'll tell you why I'm voting for Barack. I was curious about him, so I read both of his books. He has very similar views to me on many issues. Yes, he is a bit more liberal in some, but the President of the country typically can't govern too far left or right. He has to govern left center or right center in order to get reelected. Also any chance I might have gone back to McCain during this election was pretty much ruined by all the muck slinging that has gone on about Obama (see the woman at the rally calling him an Arab the other day). Some of the people going for McCain have been so blinded by the fact we are about to elect an African-American with an unusual sounding name that they will believe anything you tell them (see LesNessman's post above). Even some of the highly educated people around me will still throw out something that they obviously have not researched. I have looked at both candidates, their positions, their strengths, and Barack most closely resembles what I want in a President right now. Obviously many agree with me or the polls wouldn't stand where they are.

If somehow JM is able to make a comeback (unlikely but still in a small realm of possibility) then I would be fine with him as my President. Palin, on the other hand, scares me if anything were to happen to John.

KC//CRIMSON
10/17/2008, 11:00 AM
That, and BHO hangs out with very shady folks and has the thinnest resume in the history of US presidential politics.

Was John McCain eight years old when he was hanging out with G. Gordon Liddy?

LesNessman
10/17/2008, 11:01 AM
You realize that even the laziest and most minimal amount of research shows that the above statement isn't true?

Also, in my opinion, Abortion is one of the LEAST important factors in this election. BY FAR.

Right.
So where is it?

Here's what I have found:

Obama Makes Promise to Planned Parenthood

by Jennifer Mesko, managing editor

The so-called Freedom of Choice Act could wipe away every state law limiting abortion.

Last year, presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., made a promise to the Planned Parenthood Action Fund:

"The first thing I'd do as president is sign the Freedom of Choice Act," he said.

The so-called Freedom of Choice Act could wipe away every state law limiting abortion, undoing decades of legal work, research and educational successes.

Obama has co-sponsored the legislation with 18 other senators. The bill has the support of 109 members of Congress.

"Thirty-five years after Roe, abortion supporters, like Senator Obama, are dismayed that abortion remains a divisive issue and that their radical agenda has not been submissively accepted by the American public," writes Denise M. Burke, vice president of Americans United for Life.

"Rather than confronting legitimate issues concerning the availability and safety of abortion, they choose to blatantly ignore the concerns and interests of everyday Americans, as well as the growing evidence that abortion hurts women."

Day Gardner, president of the National Black Pro-Life Union, said even the federal Partial Birth Abortion Ban Act could be overturned.

“This shows exactly how dangerous this man is to unborn children," she said. "We are killing off our children, and this is something we really have to pay attention to.”

http://www.citizenlink.org/content/A000007601.cfm

Obama's words. not mine.

Obama voting against protecting infants surviving aportion attempts:

(probably too long to post excerpts)

http://www.jillstanek.com/archives/2008/02/links_to_barack.html

Didn't he also say that he wouldn't want his daughters "punished" with a baby if they accidentally got pregnant? Or did he say that, and just not really say it? It must be a lie too?

So even with the laziest, minimal amount of research, my original post was and is true, and you are wrong. Of course there are many more sources to that same information.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion about abortion being the least important factors in the election. To me it speaks volumes about your priorities, or in my opinion, the lack thereof.

To me, it is the most important issue in every election.

Since 1973, 50,000,000 Americans (and counting) will never be able to voice their opinion on the matter. Consider yourself fortunate.

Stoop Dawg
10/17/2008, 11:23 AM

http://obama-mccain.info/index-obama-mccain.php

Disclaimer: I haven't read the site, I just found it on Google. So I have no idea how biased it may or may not be to one side or the other.

Frozen Sooner
10/17/2008, 11:52 AM
There certainly is some evidence of the race tightening up. I sincerely doubt that it's truly a 2-point race at this point, just as I doubt that it's truly the 10-14 point bulge predicted by other pollsters. It's fun to predict how closely Homey's posts on any given day will match Matt Drudge's latest headline, though.

Echoes
10/17/2008, 12:27 PM
Are you serious Les? Come on now.

You want a hint on how to find an unbiased source on issues? If it contains lines like “This shows exactly how dangerous this man is to unborn children," she said. "We are killing off our children, and this is something we really have to pay attention to.” Then it's probably not unbiased. If you want a real information source on things, don't pull them from some right wing lunatic website. The same thing goes for left wing. Use something with a little more reviewed material.

How about this?

http://www.ontheissues.org/Social/Barack_Obama_Abortion.htm

Read it. Every source is cited. It contains all the so called "true information" people like you spread, and what is the actual truth from his mouth, and from the voter records. Took me all of 6 seconds to google. It was hard.

Echoes
10/17/2008, 12:31 PM

The muslims willl be cheering for joy throughout the world (whether he is muslim or not.

Oh, good one. I sure haven't heard a Hussein joke here on the boards. It's both new and refreshing! Classy.

I doubt the Muslims care one bit what our President's name is. If it's John Sydney McCain, Barack Hussein Obama, or freakin Justin Doosh Rocket, who cares? The answer: No one with at least half a brain.

LesNessman
10/17/2008, 03:47 PM
Are you serious Les? Come on now.

You want a hint on how to find an unbiased source on issues? If it contains lines like “This shows exactly how dangerous this man is to unborn children," she said. "We are killing off our children, and this is something we really have to pay attention to.” Then it's probably not unbiased. If you want a real information source on things, don't pull them from some right wing lunatic website. The same thing goes for left wing. Use something with a little more reviewed material.

How about this?

http://www.ontheissues.org/Social/Barack_Obama_Abortion.htm

Read it. Every source is cited. It contains all the so called "true information" people like you spread, and what is the actual truth from his mouth, and from the voter records. Took me all of 6 seconds to google. It was hard.

Conservative? yes. Right-wing lunatic website? That's rich.

And how about "On The Issues"? Holy Smokes! I see one Fox News source and a bunch of 2008 Democratic Compassion Forum sources, as well as things from Obama's book, his campaign literature, and some pro-Clinton campaign literature. How laughable.

Give me a break.

Hey, how about these?

http://www.imoneinamillion.com/

From his speech at Planned Parenthood. It's around minute 31 if you don't want to listen to the whole thing. The actual truth from his mouth.

http://www.ilga.gov/

I'm sure his voting record is there. That source should be unbiased, huh? (being Illinois politics, I'm not so sure).

Those "true information" sources good enough for you? Pretty "right-wing lunatic" there, huh?

Oh, and leaving a fully born, live baby in a closet to die; that's not dangerous? That's ok by you? He had at least three chances to vote on legislation to protect them and he didn't.

That is dangerous.

LosAngelesSooner
10/17/2008, 03:56 PM
It's fun watching Echoes PWN LesNessman. :D

Stoop Dawg
10/17/2008, 04:48 PM
Oh, and leaving a fully born, live baby in a closet to die; that's not dangerous? That's ok by you? He had at least three chances to vote on legislation to protect them and he didn't.

I'm not familiar with the specific circumstance to which you are referring, but I highly doubt that Obama (or pretty much anyone else for that matter) thinks that it's okay to leave a fully born live baby in a closet to die. To imply otherwise really weakens your own reputation more than Obama's.

As for voting record, it's important to look at WHY someone voted they way they did. Obama reportedly voted against at least one of those bills because it did not contain a clause to protect the life of the mother (i.e. late term abortion would be permitted if the mother's life were in danger).

I can't speak for everyone, only myself. My wife is currently 3 mos pregnant and if I had to decide between saving her and saving our un-born baby, it wouldn't be a hard decision to make. I'll just have to wait and see if that decision gets harder in 6 more months, but somehow I doubt it will.

Stoop Dawg
10/17/2008, 04:53 PM
I'm not familiar with the specific circumstance to which you are referring, but I highly doubt that Obama (or pretty much anyone else for that matter) thinks that it's okay to leave a fully born live baby in a closet to die.

Found it. Very disturbing.

http://www.mcclpac.org/about_obama_baipa.htm

The Maestro
10/17/2008, 06:29 PM
Making abortion a Presidential election issue...good Lord...let it go!

And I don't know why negative campaigning is being listed by anyone...everyone does that from a city council race to the Prez...that's called politics.

Just hurry up and get to November 4th already...life will go on.

dolemitesooner
10/17/2008, 07:39 PM
Romney would have been a good choice now.

JohnnyMack
10/18/2008, 11:41 AM
This might have something to do with it.

http://www.cagle.com/working/081009/darkow.jpg

KC//CRIMSON
10/18/2008, 12:37 PM
Gallup Daily: Obama Maintains Lead - Little To No Impact From Debate So Far
Among registered voters, Obama now leads 50% to 42%

* USA
* Election 2008
* Gallup Daily
* Americas
* Northern America

PRINCETON, NJ -- The latest Gallup Poll Daily tracking report from Wednesday through Friday, including two days of interviewing after Wednesday night's final presidential debate, shows Barack Obama with a 50%to 42% lead over John McCain among registered voters.

soonerhubs
10/18/2008, 12:41 PM
This might have something to do with it.

http://www.cagle.com/working/081009/darkow.jpg

Can someone fark into the picture Obama picking off the survivors with his Economic Plan? ;D

LesNessman
10/20/2008, 09:58 AM
It's fun watching Echoes PWN LesNessman. :D

You must be thinking of some other thread LAS, or at least not reading this one.

I can certainly see you don't have anything to back up your posts.

LosAngelesSooner
10/20/2008, 04:43 PM
You must be thinking of some other thread LAS, or at least not reading this one.

I can certainly see you don't have anything to back up your posts.He out argued you and totally pwn3d you.

Deal with it. ;)

Stoop Dawg
10/20/2008, 05:20 PM
He out argued you and totally pwn3d you.

Deal with it. ;)

I know this thread is slipping into oblivion (where it belongs), but I wanted to take this opportunity to point out what I dislike most about these boards. Why does it seem like so many of you are out to "pwn" other posters? It seems like discussing topics and making points without any "pwnage" on either side might lead to more meaningful discussion. Who knows, you might even learn something. I know I do.

I know I've been guilty in the past of treating a debate like a sport, where the only goal is to "win". But usually, you only "win" in your own mind. The other guy just thinks you're an *******. This isn't figure skating where you get "style points" for responding in a condescending manner. In my own experience, when I reply to someone in a respectful tone I usually get a respectful response back. Not always, but usually. On the other hand, when I've give smart-*** replies I almost always get a smart-*** response. I don't think it's coincidence.

More substance, less "pwning".

Thanks.

Sooner_Havok
10/20/2008, 05:39 PM
Just to be clear. After a year of mostly positive experience, in which I had decided to become an Elite Sponsor, I started the Hollis Board, I had a 46,000 spek rating based on real spek not betting over two season and 1500 posts, in the last four weeks I can see this board is a place I don't want to be or patronize. There are two other boards which I believe have at least equivalent political knowledge without the abusive environment. I am taking my business elsewhere.

John W. Helander
President & CEO
GrayBox Services Ltd. &
eState Auction House Ltd.

sorry, I couldn't help myself :O :O :O

Rogue
10/20/2008, 07:10 PM
No wonder JM is catching up!

r0NorMEK8fA

bluedogok
10/20/2008, 07:37 PM
I don't think JM ever stood a chance, this election is really more of a referendum on Bush II than it is about Obama or McCain. Much like Reagan was a referendum on Carter and Carter on Nixon (Ford was a victim of the circumstances). The voting public is very reactionary towards the president, unfortunately they don't hold Congress to the same level.

Sooner_Havok
10/20/2008, 08:08 PM
I don't think JM ever stood a chance, this election is really more of a referendum on Bush II than it is about Obama or McCain. Much like Reagan was a referendum on Carter and Carter on Nixon (Ford was a victim of the circumstances). The voting public is very reactionary towards the president, unfortunately they don't hold Congress to the same level.

Nope, how many multi-term *** hats we got up there now? I am voting against Imhoff for no other reason than he has been up there way to damn long. Coburn is fine for right now. I'll give him two terms. After that, get the **** out of please :D

Stoop Dawg
10/20/2008, 10:36 PM
sorry, I couldn't help myself :O :O :O

Yeah, yeah, I know. Preaching to anonymous internet message board trolls is pretty stupid. But if I can convince even one to be slightly more rational.......

SleestakSooner
10/20/2008, 10:42 PM

That would certainly go a long way in explaining how George W. Bush got elected... not once but twice.

I am willing to wager that even with the huge steaming pile that Bush/Cheney have left for the next president, Obama will still have a much more favorable rating by the end of his first term.

Sooner_Havok
10/20/2008, 10:47 PM
Yeah, yeah, I know. Preaching to anonymous internet message board trolls is pretty stupid. But if I can convince even one to be slightly more rational.......

:D :D

Stoop Dawg
10/20/2008, 10:47 PM
I am willing to wager that even with the huge steaming pile that Bush/Cheney have left for the next president, Obama will still have a much more favorable rating by the end of his first term.

Way to go out on a limb, there. ;)

Curly Bill
10/20/2008, 10:57 PM

I'd be pretty much willing to take that bet.

...and yeah I know it'd be hard to be much lower then Bushy is.

Sooner_Havok
10/20/2008, 11:01 PM
lower then Bushy

:eek: :P

SleestakSooner
10/20/2008, 11:03 PM
I'd be pretty much willing to take that bet.

...and yeah I know it'd be hard to be much lower then Bushy is.
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee242/beaukil/image16068.jpg

LesNessman
10/21/2008, 06:28 PM
I know this thread is slipping into oblivion (where it belongs), but I wanted to take this opportunity to point out what I dislike most about these boards. Why does it seem like so many of you are out to "pwn" other posters? It seems like discussing topics and making points without any "pwnage" on either side might lead to more meaningful discussion. Who knows, you might even learn something. I know I do.

I know I've been guilty in the past of treating a debate like a sport, where the only goal is to "win". But usually, you only "win" in your own mind. The other guy just thinks you're an *******. This isn't figure skating where you get "style points" for responding in a condescending manner. In my own experience, when I reply to someone in a respectful tone I usually get a respectful response back. Not always, but usually. On the other hand, when I've give smart-*** replies I almost always get a smart-*** response. I don't think it's coincidence.

More substance, less "pwning".

Thanks.

Good points and thanks for the post, Stoop Dawg.

I'm not trying to "pwn" any other poster here, and apologize if I come across that way, but I'm just trying to argue facts. I get a little passionate about it, and sometimes fight fire with fire. To me it really weakens one's position when all they do in response to a post is resort to name calling and have no counter argument.

I should try to be more respectful and will (that would probably help), but I know I'm not the only one that should.

bluedogok
10/21/2008, 09:26 PM
Nope, how many multi-term *** hats we got up there now? I am voting against Imhoff for no other reason than he has been up there way to damn long. Coburn is fine for right now. I'll give him two terms. After that, get the **** out of please :D
I didn't vote for Inhofe when I lived there, I wouldn't vote for him now. Most of the voting public believes as long as they keep getting fed the pork, that everyone but "their" guy (or gal) needs to go.

LosAngelesSooner
10/21/2008, 09:59 PM
psssst...don't feed the Troll...

Sooner_Havok
10/21/2008, 10:02 PM
psssst...don't feed the Troll...

I'm not a troll:(

That really hurt LAS:( :( :(

LosAngelesSooner
10/22/2008, 04:41 AM
LMAO! :D:D:D

You know I wasn't calling you a Troll...

Sooner_Havok
10/22/2008, 05:11 PM
LMAO! :D:D:D

You know I wasn't calling you a Troll...

I used to know a guy that called himself a troll. Something about living in southern Meat Chicken...:D :D