PDA

View Full Version : Forget the defense for a minute; what about the lack of a run game?

Tear Down This Wall
10/15/2008, 11:38 AM
For all of the wailing about Venables, when do James Patton and Cale Gundy get some criticism for not being able to put together a decent run game with the supposedly "best offensive line in the country"? Well? Do they continue to get a pass?

Widescreen
10/15/2008, 11:44 AM
Don't criticize them. It's not their fault other teams are putting 11 in the box all game every game.

MamaMia
10/15/2008, 11:48 AM
We're predictable, as usual.

StoopTroup
10/15/2008, 11:55 AM
It did seem to me like Bob was throwing Murray, Madu and Brown at them in an attempt to find someone who could rack up some yards.

I know he has used them all in the other games but the way and the time he did it seemed to come off like he was really either trying to make something work or trying to throw them off or both.

Brown was more effective than Madu and Murray last Saturday but we still didn't rack up much yardage.

Seems like the O-line let down a couple of times when we really needed them to give Sam more time.

There's plenty to complain about.

OKC-SLC
10/15/2008, 12:22 PM
i've said it for the last two years--i don't know why our O line continues to be pumped up as the best in the nation. two years ago they were not good at run blocking at all. remember that game at aTm where patrick marched down the field in the first half behind our line which for the first time that season dictated to a team what we were going to do?

then last year, they somehow entered the season magically hyped up as the best in the nation, but we saw how that was not the case.

here we are again, this year. They're big. Some people think there are some NFLers on the roster. They can pass block fairly well. They can't create holes. They are not even, imo, a very good offensive line.

StoopTroup
10/15/2008, 12:25 PM
I think they got lazy on the run blocking and now it's affecting them in both aspects.

I'd like to think they get together as a group and start trying to live up to the hype....

Breadburner
10/15/2008, 12:59 PM
I wish we would run a lil option.....

JLEW1818
10/15/2008, 01:03 PM
Stoops already said no to that yesterday, not worth getting Sam hurt.

LosAngelesSooner
10/15/2008, 01:40 PM
The lack of a run game is why Texas was able to score so many points and win the game in the 4th quarter. Period.

Our D was exhausted and the drives we WERE able to maintain were too short lived.

JLEW1818
10/15/2008, 01:43 PM
Very true, I wish we didn't run the entire 2nd half.

NormanPride
10/15/2008, 01:47 PM
I'm noticing a severe lack of Brody Eldridge in the running game. For a first team Big 12 fullback and supposed "best player on offense" (according to KW) to not even play speaks of lunacy. I would like to hear Coach Stoops or Wilson comment on this.

This OLine is inconsistent, and our running scheme requires consistency.

Position Limit
10/15/2008, 01:53 PM
i thought we were going to see the fullback carry the ball some this year. was clapp even in the game saturday? why not just try to run him one time. it cant result in anything worse than the mockery that i was watching. i think murray's speed is still there, he just never has anywhere to run. ever. it's so annoying. i feel sorry for the guy. how many years has gundy been run game coordinator/running backs coach? at least 5 years. and that's the best he can do?

KRYPTON
10/15/2008, 02:26 PM
We lined up in an I formation for one series, I believe the one with Gresham's long TD. Chris Brown got something along the lines of a 4 yarder and then a 6 yarder. Never saw it again.

Widescreen
10/15/2008, 02:36 PM
We lined up in an I formation for one series, I believe the one with Gresham's long TD. Chris Brown got something along the lines of a 4 yarder and then a 6 yarder. Never saw it again.

We were trying to surprise them by NOT doing that.

HopeSpringsEternal
10/15/2008, 04:12 PM
For all of the wailing about Venables, when do James Patton and Cale Gundy get some criticism for not being able to put together a decent run game with the supposedly "best offensive line in the country"? Well? Do they continue to get a pass?

I agree, the current staff is pretty mediocre from top to bottom. However, the defense is an ongoing, longstanding, issue that has yet to be resolved in any manner whatsoever. These two are simply benefiting from someone else being worse than they are and for longer.

HopeSpringsEternal
10/15/2008, 04:15 PM
The lack of a run game is why Texas was able to score so many points and win the game in the 4th quarter. Period.

Our D was exhausted and the drives we WERE able to maintain were too short lived.

BS. That's what that is. Pure 100% grade A BS. The defense was in no way exhausted. Stoops wouldn't have punted on the 4th and 2 if they'd been "exhausted". Stop excusing mediocrity because the truth hurts too much.

stoopified
10/15/2008, 04:43 PM
Bob is proably more disappointed than anyone about OUr running game.If the opposition wants to continue to gamble that Bradford can't beat them throeing they will be sorely disappointed.If they back off ,OUr running game WILL make them pay.

Sabanball
10/15/2008, 04:48 PM
This is your biggest weakness, imo. You guys have slowly become a very one-dimensional team.

JLEW1818
10/15/2008, 04:55 PM
Blah!

The Maestro
10/15/2008, 04:59 PM
This is your biggest weakness, imo. You guys have slowly become a very one-dimensional team.

Ummm...that one dimension kicks ***. So forget about the dimension that sucks. Kinda like we did in, oh say, 2000?!?!?!!!!

BoulderSooner79
10/15/2008, 06:10 PM
Bob is proably more disappointed than anyone about OUr running game.If the opposition wants to continue to gamble that Bradford can't beat them throeing they will be sorely disappointed.If they back off ,OUr running game WILL make them pay.

That's what I thought, but I'm beginning to give up hope. UT did not stack the line ala TCU and dare us to pass. They mostly went with a straight 4 man rush with LBs and safeties in coverage. I thought for sure we would pop a few 10+ yard runs and get 100+ for the day. It has to be our scheme because other teams can do it with lesser athletes.

aurorasooner
10/15/2008, 06:54 PM
That's what I thought, but I'm beginning to give up hope. UT did not stack the line ala TCU and dare us to pass. They mostly went with a straight 4 man rush with LBs and safeties in coverage. I thought for sure we would pop a few 10+ yard runs and get 100+ for the day. It has to be our scheme because other teams can do it with lesser athletes. Yes. Just flat too easy for quality defenses with quality DCs to key on our running game. I also agree that all those 8 or 11 in the box postings are wishful crap.
I'd be surprised if we don't mix 1 or 2 different sets into our offense in each of the following weeks to help the running game, but I thought we'd change some things up with the month preceeding USC/Boise State/WVU and especially this year against TCU and Texas, but only saw MOTS in the running game. So I won't lose any sleep if we don't try to solve the running game problem with nothing more than kicking our OL & RBs in the butt to play harder, unless KU stuffs us and upsets us in Norman. I would even like to see Bob challenge KW/Patton/Gundy and our offensive players to only throw 2 or 3passes in the 1st quarter but still score every time we got the ball on offense. Just line up and forget all those constant audibles and see if we can kick KUs azz by running straight at them in the 1st quarter. If the OL can't do it,then do what Bud used to do and stick the 2nd team in to embarrass them for a series. (Of course back then, our 2nd team was darn near as good as our 1st team).

BoulderSooner79
10/15/2008, 07:46 PM
I still want us to be a pass-first offense because that's where we have the talent to dominate. I just want to see an effective, complementary running game. To me "pass-first" doesn't mean play calling like TT. It mean we know we're going to pass, they know we're going to pass and they can't stop it. I don't think we can also be a run-first offense, but it should mean we can run when they don't expect it. Right now, we are not effective running period.

Curly Bill
10/15/2008, 07:58 PM
Our running game is so simple that any team with decent athletes is going to stop it. Believe it or not it's hard to block people when everyone in the damn stadium knows all you're going to do is run between the tackles.

aurorasooner
10/16/2008, 07:16 AM
Gary Danielson on the spread offense.
"It's going to go the opposite way, and it's going to go back to the way LSU, Ohio State, USC and Alabama are using it.

"Instead of teams going more to it, I think you'll see teams going to it as part of an offense. The top schools can get the best talent. For them, there's no need to do it ... I love it as a part of my package, not as the only package."
The CBS analyst recalled a conversation he had with Oklahoma Coach Bob Stoops about the Sooners moving away from the spread. After Stoops said he wins with defense first, he told Danielson he was going back to more I-formation sets "because we can recruit downhill(-running) tailbacks."

Danielson said the spread's weakness was displayed late in the Illinois-Missouri season opener when Mizzou needed one more first down to seal the win, "and on third-and-3 they had nobody in the backfield to run the ball except (Heisman Trophy-candidate QB) Chase Daniel.

"I don't mean we're going back to grind-it-out football. I think every team will have to have their four-receiver sets, but I think in the future coaches are going to realize they have to be able to hand the ball to the tailback, too." http://www.dailymail.com/Sports/WVUSports/200810160149
Helsley in the DO, this AM.
Duke Robinson wants to run the ball.
Better. With attitude.
And more. "We ain’t running it enough,” a clearly frustrated Robinson said this week.

"We just need to run it more often. That’s about it.”

Robinson said a strong running game comes through continued banging on defenses, allowing a powerful line like OU’s to wear down enemy fronts by force.
"It’s not going as I thought it would be,” said Murray, who has appeared tentative.

OU offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson notices it, too. He wonders if there’s something — mental or physical — holding Murray back.
The Sooners emphasized the running game in practice earlier this week.

And they emphasized the running mentality.

"Running is an attitude,” Robinson said. "If you’re trying to get away from running the ball all the time, the more you get into passing and picking up blitzes and stuff, you kind of get out of that running mentality.

"We need to get it back.”http://www.newsok.com/ou-football-sooners-seek-answers-to-running-game-woes/article/3311802?custom_click=pod_headline_ou-football
FW Star Telegram: Oklahoma Set a Template for Texas to Follow
"I don’t want to say names, but we had some older guys trying to be individuals ... in the spring," Orakpo said. "I’d say, 'Look, stop doing what you’re doing.’ We have so much talent, why are you trying to be an individual? Don’t worry about the next level. Let’s get it done now.[... It’s a situation where the younger guys saw that and thought, 'I don’t want to be the one to mess this up.’ " "But it comes down to everyone forgetting about the name on the back of the jersey and doing things for Texas. The family name on the front of the shirt [Texas] is what we’re all about." http://www.star-telegram.com/college_sports/story/977651.html

A Horn
10/16/2008, 07:52 AM
Texas D-Line is outstanding this year, as well.

Vaevictis
10/16/2008, 08:18 AM

Biggest? I don't think so.

The offense produced 35 points, and never turned the ball over in a way that put the defense in a bad position.

Really, that ought to be enough to win any game. If it's not, the problem isn't with the offense.

SoonersEnFuego
10/16/2008, 08:42 AM
We're not going to be able to run inside the tackles against everybody. But, I do think with our speed, (Madu and Murray) we can run some pitches or sweeps and have decent success against most.

boomermagic
10/16/2008, 09:35 AM
I still want us to be a pass-first offense because that's where we have the talent to dominate. I just want to see an effective, complementary running game. To me "pass-first" doesn't mean play calling like TT. It mean we know we're going to pass, they know we're going to pass and they can't stop it. I don't think we can also be a run-first offense, but it should mean we can run when they don't expect it. Right now, we are not effective running period.

I prefer a RUN FIRST offense..

BoulderSooner79
10/16/2008, 09:59 AM

Then we need to talk Barry out of retirement. :D

Johnny Utah
10/16/2008, 10:05 AM

FWIW I prefer a RUN FIRST offense too, as it is what epitomized OU football going back to the 70s and 80s (and probably even beforehand). With Bradford at QB the passing game is definitely where we have the talent to dominate currently. However, being OU we should be able to recruit and coach the talent to dominate with both pass and run offenses.

Johnny Utah
10/16/2008, 10:08 AM
Then we need to talk Barry out of retirement. :D

as I was just saying;)

BoulderSooner79
10/16/2008, 10:17 AM
I cut my teeth on OU football in the mid-70s, and that wishbone was a thing of beauty. But the fans were constantly on Switzer to pass more often. The problem was that the pass was a pretty low probability play *unless the defense wasn't expecting it*. The run-first offense was great until we needed to convert on on 3rd and 10+. So everyone wants what they don't have. I'd much rather dominate at what we do best than be mediocre and balanced. But our current running game is silly. There must be occasions where the defense is in full pass coverage mode and the run is wide open. UT rushed 4 and dropped 7 and we have 5 blockers. There has to be a lane where DM can get past the line of scrimmage untouched and only has to make one LB miss to get a big run. I don't understand it; it has to be scheme.

Statalyzer
10/16/2008, 05:25 PM
Believe it or not it's hard to block people when everyone in the damn stadium knows all you're going to do is run between the tackles.

And when running between the tackles, you can't really tackle the defensive linemen from behind.

You guys called a couple of run plays from the I-formation in the 4th quarter as well and they also worked ok.

Statalyzer
10/16/2008, 05:25 PM
Believe it or not it's hard to block people when everyone in the damn stadium knows all you're going to do is run between the tackles.

And when running between the tackles, you can't really tackle the defensive linemen from behind. :P Really though, some credit needs to go to the Texas DL here. Still the only team in the country that hasn't allowed a rushing TD.

You guys called a couple of run plays from the I-formation in the 4th quarter as well and they also worked ok.

aurorasooner
10/16/2008, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
I still want us to be a pass-first offense because that's where we have the talent to dominate. Interesting preface to an article by Todd Mcshay over at ESPN. The rest of the article is for ESPNinsiders only, but it looks interesting, eluding that our WRs don't like to be challenged physically.
Texas defense more stout, less aggressive than you might thinkTodd McShay's Midweek Exam

At this time last week, most analysts (myself included) were pointing to Texas' inexperienced secondary as its insurmountable weakness versus QB Sam Bradford and the high-octane Oklahoma offense. That did seem to be the case at times this past Saturday as Bradford threw for 387 yards and five touchdowns.

The young Longhorns defensive backs occasionally suffered from communication breakdowns when deployed in zone coverage. In addition, the shifty Sooners receivers racked up dozens of yards after quick-strike passes when Texas defenders were caught giving cushions.

But an unexpected trend began to emerge as the first half progressed: The more aggressive defensive coordinator Will Muschamp got with his coverage calls, the more success his defense had. It turns out the Oklahoma receivers don't appreciate being challenged physically. Above all, tight man coverage limits their run-after-catch opportunities.

PalmBeachSooner
10/16/2008, 07:29 PM
Don't criticize them. It's not their fault other teams are putting 11 in the box all game every game.

Uhm, Texas didn't load the box and we still couldn't run. But then again, when you are running the ball right at Roy Miller every time, why would they?

PalmBeachSooner
10/16/2008, 07:46 PM
We're not going to be able to run inside the tackles against everybody. But, I do think with our speed, (Madu and Murray) we can run some pitches or sweeps and have decent success against most.

Hmm. Murray had a long TD run last year against Texas when he got out on the edge. Didn't see anything like that at all this year, except for that pass play to Murray which worked great the first time, but not so much the next time they ran it. It was the only thing I saw in that game that was different from anything we had done up to that point this season.

Sabanball
10/16/2008, 10:42 PM
Ummm...that one dimension kicks ***. So forget about the dimension that sucks. Kinda like we did in, oh say, 2000?!?!?!!!!

You need a run threat on O to make your offense more unpredictable. Right now you don't have it.

MR2-Sooner86
10/16/2008, 10:53 PM

Lets not forget, how was the only touchdown scored in the championship game against FSU? Wasn't it a...running play?

birddog
10/17/2008, 07:02 AM
I'm noticing a severe lack of Brody Eldridge in the running game. For a first team Big 12 fullback and supposed "best player on offense" (according to KW) to not even play speaks of lunacy. I would like to hear Coach Stoops or Wilson comment on this.

This OLine is inconsistent, and our running scheme requires consistency.

good point. i don't even recall hearing his name against techsas. it really is frustrating to see us struggle to put a 5-6 minute drive together when we need it. that 2nd half lasted like 40 minutes of real time, it seemed.

The Maestro
10/17/2008, 08:04 AM
Lets not forget, how was the only touchdown scored in the championship game against FSU? Wasn't it a...running play?

Yes. So what? We ran for a whole 56 yards that night.

tulsaoilerfan
10/17/2008, 10:54 PM
I wish we would run a lil option.....

I wish we would put Broyles back there and direct snap him the ball 3-4 times a game; at worst, it would give other teams something to think about and actually show a little diversity that we don't seem to be able to come up with