PDA

View Full Version : Defense still not adjusting

TahoeSOONER
10/15/2008, 11:25 AM
Watched the RRR for the second time last night, first time without drinks, and couldn't help but wonder why were having trouble adjusting to the slot WR?

I was proud of this team on so many levels but we lost this game because we couldn't cover the middle of the field agains't one route, hook in the middle. Sometime's trips to one side, sometime's two WR on either side. Shipley would sit down 8 yards down the field. Over and over and over...ad naseum.

You take that one play away and OU may have rolled that team. OU looked better losing but Texas got some pressure on Bradford, as much as I thought they would, and Texas did the little things better that day. Special team killers and OU didn't make some plays they should've, INT endzone and fake punt, GREAT CALL IMHO.

My point, with all these spreads out there why are we having trouble adjusting agains't four wr sets that are running simple schemes? Man up on the corners, move a safety up on the slot, Lendy would've shuttem down, and put a third DB in there instead of the other LB. I thought we were built for this with the all this speed.

This game was lost on one simple route and that irks the *%&T out of me. Brent is Sooner family, I'd never want him to leave, but I'd certainly like to see better adjustments with the entire staff yelling their running the same chit over and over. It won't be the last time we see 4 wr sets so let's givem some different looks. OUs D wasn't that bad, looking back, but couldn't stop one simple route.

Thoughts?

BOOMER!

MojoRisen
10/15/2008, 11:57 AM
Sounds like they moved Shipley to TE - major miss match on the LB's even RR would not have been able to cover Shipley well.

We went to a 3 down lineman set at some point - but that didn't seem to work either.

I think we should man up and knock people off routes - pressure the QB and be a little risky.

I don't ever want to sit down and be nickle and dime to death for 45 points

I trust they will make some adjustments on this- I think we definitely need to be more dynamic on D so we can make those in game adjustments. One player really killed us and it was Finley last year accross the middle... Match ups are key - Texas got some mismatches on us and we didn't try and adjust or were afraid to deviat in fear of UT getting big plays off the adjustments.

TahoeSOONER
10/15/2008, 12:11 PM
Nickeled and dime to death hit the nail on the head. I'm really shocked that they let them run the same scheme for 4 straight QTRs and nobody paid a price as far as the big hit. OU had their chances but came up just short on every big occasion, ie Fake punt and INT. I think I liked the game better with a buzz because watching this game on tape made me shake my head that much more. Same 4 WR set, usually trips to one side, and dink and dunk over and over for damn near the entire game. Before and after RR injury! Long season ahead but we're going to be covering 4 WR sets all season and we knew that, why did they not have them prepared? They knew Irby TX TE got hurt so I wonder. Oh well, hopefully we address it and grow.

setem
10/15/2008, 03:42 PM
You know no matter how many time you watch replays of that game the D will never make adjustments! It's not like they play the game over and over again...it is only a recording.

That being said they should have found a way to pick that rout up. I do not understand why it was open all day long and it was almost as if we purposely left it open.

My biggest question concerning the curl is this. Why in the hell was Shipley not smashed into the ground after the 5th time they went to him. You would think they we would be able to (1 jump the rout or (2 smash his *** into smithereens!

TahoeSOONER
10/15/2008, 05:25 PM
You know no matter how many time you watch replays of that game the D will never make adjustments! It's not like they play the game over and over again...it is only a recording.

What's this "recording" you speak of? I've only had the heart to watch again once but it really didn't dawn on me that they were running the same formation over and over. We should of adjusted better or.........

My biggest question concerning the curl is this. Why in the hell was Shipley not smashed into the ground after the 5th time they went to him. You would think they we would be able to (1 jump the rout or (2 smash his *** into smithereens!

.....smash his *** into smithereens, well said.

BOOMER!

OUMallen
10/15/2008, 06:05 PM
You know, I agree with the initial post, and that's something I was yelling at the game. Every one of those catches I'd say- that's alright, now make him PAY for those yards! Those hits never came.

PalmBeachSooner1
10/15/2008, 06:39 PM
Quit playing the Tampa 2 zone already!!!! Arggggh

Collier11
10/15/2008, 06:44 PM
Brandon Everage...thats what we need! The guy may have whiffed at times but he was a true head hunter

Curly Bill
10/15/2008, 07:24 PM
Brandon Everage...thats what we need! The guy may have whiffed at times but he was a true head hunter

How would he be as a defensive coordinator....that's what we need! ;)