NBCSports.com: Fiesta, Sooners vs. BYU

Mark Schlabach, ESPN.com: Fiesta, Sooners vs. Ohio State

SportingNews.com: Fiesta, Sooners vs. BYU

CollegeFootballNews.com: Fiesta, Sooners vs. Boise State

:pop:

ESPN.com's Bruce Feldman: Holiday, Sooners vs. Cal:mad:

CaliBornSoonerBred
10/15/2008, 10:06 AM
well to be completely honest, we lost our opportunity to control our own destiny and I'd personally be happy with any BCS game at this point. There is still a LOT of football to be played around the country but I'd settle for another Fiesta Bowl game. At this point we just need to get rid of the stigma we can't win a BCS bowl game. How spoiled are we when a Fiesta Bowl birth is disappointing?

Soonermagik
10/15/2008, 10:07 AM
I can all but guarantee that won't happen. I'm willing to bet if we win out and aren't in the NC game we will be put in the +1 game in Miami.

I couldn't imagine a rematch with Boise in the Fiesta bowl. I just don't see how a game like that could generate much interest from either side.

Plus, I doubt many sooner fans would want to go to the desert for a 3rd time in a row. The whole idea of bowl games is to get fans in the seats and I don't think any of those games would do it.

soonerspudman
10/15/2008, 10:09 AM
Apologies if this has already been posted:

CBSSports.com: Fiesta, Sooners vs. Penn State

Unfortunately right now we're more on track for the Holiday Bowl, this will likely change as other B12 teams lose and we take down the likes of TT and small aggie. We should be happy at this point with the prospects of a BCS bowl bid, we need to quit bitching about the Fiasco Bowl and just go out and start winning the damn thing.

SoonR4Life
10/15/2008, 10:10 AM
Unfortunately right now we're more on track for the Holiday Bowl, this will likely change as other B12 teams lose and we take down the likes of TT and small aggie. We should be happy at this point with the prospects of a BCS bowl bid, we need to quit bitching about the Fiasco Bowl and just go out and start winning the damn thing.

True. A BCS bowl is a BCS bowl. A win would change everything :D

soonerspudman
10/15/2008, 10:11 AM

...and btw,who on this post wouldn't give their left nut for a Fiesta bowl rematch with Boise State?

Breadburner
10/15/2008, 10:17 AM
...and btw,who on this post wouldn't give their left nut for a Fiesta bowl rematch with Boise State?

I equate it to fighting a girl....You are screwed if you win or lose....

soonerspudman
10/15/2008, 10:19 AM
I equate it to fighting a girl....You are screwed if you win or loose....

Uh, that girl beat us.

StoopTroup
10/15/2008, 10:31 AM
3rd Time is a charm.

Soonermagik
10/15/2008, 10:54 AM

Personally, I wouldn't. I just don't see what we would have to win in that type of game. If Boise wins the media will say they own us. If we win people will only remember the statue of liberty game.

I would like to see us match up with Ohio State in the +1 game.

I just hope we don't have to play a BYU or Boise State type team. It's not that I don't think we can win, but even if we do then we're supposed to beat them.

Breadburner
10/15/2008, 10:55 AM
Uh, that girl beat us.

Thats my point if you win you lose.......Either way you are screwed....If we would have won people would have said we beat a cinderella blah..blah..blah.....

Mad Dog Madsen
10/15/2008, 11:07 AM
Us against Penn St. in the Fiesta Bowl? Not likely, but as crazy as it may sound I think Penn St. will be in the NC game. They are 7-0 afterall, but I do realize they have more games to play. They play Michigan this weekend at home and then play @Ohio St. the next game. If they win those they could easily get to the big game. Maybe they'll get another so Joe Pa can retire?

TMcGee86
10/15/2008, 11:08 AM
Yeah the last thing i want is another Boise or BYU.

I would take a Fiesta Bowl vs. Penn State or Ohio State, but I want nothing to do with the feel good cinderella stories.

Especially considering if we make a BCS bowl that probably means we didn't lose again and were very very close to making the MNC game, thereby opening the door for another huge letdown game.

OUfan4life
10/15/2008, 11:11 AM
I'd be okay with going to warm Arizona in January.

fadada1
10/15/2008, 11:39 AM
i grew up a PSu fan and have always liked them.

we'd KILL penn state.

OUMedMan
10/15/2008, 11:48 AM
Actually, I think OU might play USC in the Fiesta Bowl.

If Texas wins out, they go to the NC game.

If Oregon State wins out -- which is a good possiblity in the Pathetic 10 -- they go to the Rose Bowl.

What could be more natural than a matchup between USC and the Sooners at about the halfway point between the two schools?

(Well, okay, Albuquerque would be more like the half way point, but who wants to play in the New Mexico Bowl?)

I know OU would just love to face up vs. the Trojans again.

Johnny Utah
10/15/2008, 12:03 PM
Thats my point if you win you lose.......Either way you are screwed....If we would have won people would have said we beat a cinderella blah..blah..blah.....

I know what you mean, but it didn't hurt Georgia to kill Hawaii in the Sugar Bowl ... in fact it propelled them right into the preseason #1 spot (but we know that didn't last).

SteelClip49
10/15/2008, 12:37 PM
Sooners vs Mormons in Glendale? Ehh, could avenge the Copper Bowl loss.

Big Red Ron
10/15/2008, 12:41 PM
@4th in the Harris and AP Poll, we just need to win all the rest of our games and we are still likely to make the championship game. Penn State loses to tOSU and Bama loses to someone, we wont be jumped by anyone unless they beat us, like Okiestate, KU or TTU

kevpks
10/15/2008, 12:44 PM

And avenge that BS national title they got back in 1984. I hate the BCS but at least a team can't win a national championship by beating a 6-5 team in the Holiday Bowl.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
10/15/2008, 12:45 PM

Yeah, if the premise is Fiesta Bowl vs one of the other BCS bowls like the Orange I'd rather OU go to the Orange Bowl.

If the choice is Fiesta against Boise or BYU or facing a better name opponent in the Cotton or Holiday, I'll take the BCS bowl against anyone.

PhiDeltBeers
10/15/2008, 12:46 PM
How about Texas again? And I'm not talkin 'bout no stinkin Fiasco Bowl. Think BIG people.

StoopTroup
10/15/2008, 01:04 PM
We used to usually go to one bowl..."The Orange".

I'd like to go to the MNC every year as much as any of you...however...at this point...we aren't poised to do that.

If we can get to a BCS Bowl Game and put an end to this Postseason losing streak...I don't care where it happens.

If it's the Fiesta...then so be it...

JLEW1818
10/15/2008, 01:06 PM

Who really cares what they say? The last 2 weeks they had us playing in the National Championship. So they assumed we would go undefeated ??? So now there assuming Texas will go undefeated????? There job is not very hard but to look at the rankings and see who is 1 and 2 each week and pick them. Honestly there is probably a 0.1% chance that each Texas and Alabama go undefeated.

SteelClip49
10/15/2008, 01:07 PM
I can't see why not?

Although they are in different conferences, Florida State defeated Florida late in the 1996 season 24-20 then a few games later Florida played Florida State again and won 52-20 to win the national title. Oklahoma and Texas are in the same conference but they could be the two best at the end of the year. If that's the case and the so-called experts say no then I say that is all HOGWASH!!!

JLEW1818
10/15/2008, 01:07 PM
And I would say there is not a very good chance that we play in the fiesta bowl. IDK where we will play but not there.

KingBarry
10/15/2008, 02:40 PM
And I would say there is not a very good chance that we play in the fiesta bowl. IDK where we will play but not there.

jlew, as usual, is right. Assuming TX and OU both win out, we would be an at-large pick. Why would Fiesta take us? We bring nothing to the table for them. Would our fans come? Lot's of bad memories for them. Would the nation be excited to watch OU return to the Land of the Fading Sooner? Probably, I'm guessing, not.

Do you think the Glendale Chamber of Commerce or whoever puts that bowl together wants the same team back three-years in a row, when we badly underperformed the last two visits AND made it clear last year we would prefer to play someplace else? Doubt it again.

If we somehow wind up winning the Big XII, the chances of going to Glendale improve, but are still pretty low. In that scenario, we might be back in the BCS top two, and if not, Glendale could still trade us off for somebody without the baggage.

Don't know who that would be yet, but time will tell.

birddog
10/15/2008, 02:48 PM
I can all but guarantee that won't happen. I'm willing to bet if we win out and aren't in the NC game we will be put in the +1 game in Miami.

:confused:

humblesooner
10/15/2008, 03:08 PM
If we somehow wind up winning the Big XII, the chances of going to Glendale improve, but are still pretty low. In that scenario, we might be back in the BCS top two, and if not, Glendale could still trade us off for somebody without the baggage.

Good post, but this part is inaccurate. If we win the Big XII, and do not play in the BCS Championship game, we automatically go to the Fiesta Bowl.
We can not be traded off.

If Texas wins the B12, and we still make a BCS bowl, then we could end up in any of the games, depending on who chooses when and if they want us or not.

Big Red Ron
10/15/2008, 03:08 PM
:confused:The regular Orange Bowl, there's two games there this year.

Edmond Sooner
10/15/2008, 03:33 PM

I agree, my Dad used to call it "the little guy" factor - no matter who started it, you fight a guy half your size and win, folks say "pick on someone your own size." You get your chops busted in six places and they say "serves you right for picking on the little guy."

Kinda like the old country song from the seventies about the big man who spit beer in the little guys ear....

Edmond Sooner
10/15/2008, 03:44 PM
To be honest, I've changed my mind on this from just a few days ago.

At first, the thought of another Fiesta Bowl, eh. Reality is, we should be glad of any BCS bid we might get.

I think we'll make out just fine, in any event.

JLEW1818
10/15/2008, 04:49 PM
I just don't see us ending up in the fiesta bowl again. I'll play the odds.

Salt City Sooner
10/15/2008, 06:38 PM
Good post, but this part is inaccurate. If we win the Big XII, and do not play in the BCS Championship game, we automatically go to the Fiesta Bowl.

If Texas wins the B12, and we still make a BCS bowl, then we could end up in any of the games, depending on who chooses when and if they want us or not.
Yes, we can.

5. After completion of the selection process as described in Paragraph Nos. 1-4, the conferences and Notre Dame may, but are not required to, adjust the pairings taking into consideration the following:

A. whether the same team will be playing in the same bowl game for two consecutive years;
B. whether two teams that played against one another in the regular season will be paired against one another in a bowl game;
C. whether the same two teams will play against each other in a bowl game for two consecutive years; and
D. whether alternative pairings may have greater or lesser appeal to college football fans as measured by expected ticket sales for the bowls and by expected television interest, and the consequent financial impact on Fox and the bowls.

http://www.bcsfootball.org/bcsfb/eligibility

We actually were very close to playing Va. Tech in the Orange Bowl last year because of this clause. It was put to a vote & got negged by 2 comissioners, IIRC, one of which was the SEC commish (dude saw the writing for a SEC NC on the wall with LSU playing in New Orleans). He didn't want a 3-4 matchup raising any controversy regarding the crowning of the NC, if by chance the winner of OU/Va. Tech blew out the other team, while the NC game was close.

PalmBeachSooner1
10/15/2008, 06:40 PM
Why won't they ever put us in the Orange Bowl?

JLEW1818
10/15/2008, 08:27 PM
AHA WE FOUND THE EVIDENCE !!!!!

GottaHavePride
10/15/2008, 08:33 PM
How about Texas again? And I'm not talkin 'bout no stinkin Fiasco Bowl. Think BIG people.

Not a whelk's chance in a supernova.

JLEW1818
10/15/2008, 08:38 PM
lol I'm getting sick of predicting. lets just play it a week at a time and take all the criticism each week on how bad we suck!

Soonermagik
10/15/2008, 09:21 PM
Why won't they ever put us in the Orange Bowl?

Don't worry, my young Palm beach friend. ;) I believe we have a good chance of seeing the orange bowl in the +1 game.

Hey, I'm going to talk Steve into coming to the game, but Corey is a different subject. Actually the odds of Corey coming to South Florida is similar to the odds of Baylor winning the South. ;)

Curly Bill
10/15/2008, 09:21 PM

After our recent bowl performaces why wouldn't we be the Cinderella?

CK Sooner
10/15/2008, 09:22 PM

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e217/belle8926/Disney/Cinderella-2.jpg

Breadburner
10/15/2008, 10:01 PM

Because we are Oklahoma.....

Curly Bill
10/15/2008, 10:03 PM
Because we are Oklahoma.....

....and in our most recent bowl games we've played like hammered horse manure. I think in any bowl game, against any opponent, we should probably be the underdog. ;)

birddog
10/16/2008, 06:18 AM
The regular Orange Bowl, there's two games there this year.

ok, i thought he was talking about the +1 game for the bcs championship. i'd like to see that but it won't happen til atleast 2015.

if you're talking bout the orange bowl, just say ORANGE BOWL! :pop:

KingBarry
10/27/2008, 04:03 AM
Originally Posted by KingBarry

Thanks to Salt City for quoting the "official" rules that govern bowl placement for a team faced with the possibility of playing in the same bowl consecutively. There are also other exceptions in place, which are arcane and related to changes in the order of selections between BCS bowls losing teams to the BCS Championship, but I won't go into those here.

It is widely believed that the Big XII Champion automatically goes to the Fiesta, unless they go to the BSC Championship. This is just not true, with the above mentioned rules as the proof (and the chance that OU could have played VaTech as the historical precedent).

But I have a gut feeling that there is something else at play, outside the formal rules.

In other words, OU this year is a bad fit for the Fiesta, and I don't think I need to justify that statement with facts. We all know it.

And in such a "bad fit" case, I just believe that something else would be worked out, and here's why. To sum up, if everyone involved -- the University at question, the conference(s), the bowl, the local officials in the bowl host city, the NCAA and most especially the networks -- believes that a certain team is undesirable in a certain location, then something will be worked out so that team doesn't play in that location.

OU this year in the Fiesta is the perfect example. OU has bad memories of two consecutive humiliating losses. OU fans have had two opportunities to "do" Glendale in the past two years. America has had two chances to already see OU be disappointing in Glendale. And, to add to the bad taste, OU officials were pretty clearly adamant that they did NOT want to play in Glendale last year.

That's all a perfect storm for making a return trip for us a negative for all involved, and who wants a negative? Bottom-line: Why risk all that money?

When OU played in three consecutive Sugar Bowls (49, 50, 51), the press coverage in NOLA was all negative. The town was sick of us. We were sick of the town. That prompted OU to request that the Big 6 adopt a rule that no team could attend two consecutive bowl games, just to avoid such a negative taste in the mouth.

Of course, this scenario is predicated on the assumption that another bowl would want us but, bottom line, OU back to Glendale (if we somehow someway improbably win the Big XII) is NOT guaranteed.

batonrougesooner
10/27/2008, 05:32 AM

At least we would have the bars all to ourselves.

Personally, I would like to go back to the Sugar.

PLaw
10/27/2008, 07:23 AM
Plus, I doubt many sooner fans would want to go to the desert for a 3rd time in a row. The whole idea of bowl games is to get fans in the seats and I don't think any of those games would do it.

Been there for the last two and I ain't going back.

Glendale - where good teams go to die.

BOOMER

sooner59
10/27/2008, 08:20 AM
Been there for the last two and I ain't going back.

Glendale - where good teams go to die.

BOOMER

Same here. Not going back for a third straight time.

yermom
10/27/2008, 08:36 AM
i'd go. at this point i'd be happy to be there. i get the feeling there are a lot of teams that are going to be clamoring for the Big 12 at-large bid

that being said, if we are at-large and not Big 12 champs, i get the feeling the Orange Bowl might be where we'd go.