PDA

View Full Version : Top 20 team coming to Norman....

CtheB
10/15/2008, 09:47 AM
....okay, it's Wednesday, let's look forward. In the words of the immortal Norman Dale, "I would only hope that you will cheer for who we are, not who we are not.".

There is so much left to play for, and nothing has been settled. The more I see it, all we lost Saturday was the #1 by our name and the control of our own destiny. As we have seen for the last few years, #1 in middle October means nothing.....nothing at all. That being said, I like our position.

So, here comes the Fightin' Manginos. Fellas, and ladies, this team can cause us a lot of problems. I am very anxious to see Box in extended action at the MLB. Although he cannot fully replace Reynolds, and I do not expect him to, I think he is going to bring a higher level of athleticism to the position. Can that stand up against a power running game? We shall see.

We are also witness to what will become the finest season of any OU quarterback. Sammy B is bringing it every Saturday, and as long as our running game is on cinder blocks, he is going to throw 4-5 TD passes a game.....add that up. What is it? 55 TD passes? And we've seen the best defenses we will see all year. He will be in New York City, and after Texas drops a game...and they will lose one....he will shoot to the top of the charts.

We are now the SEC, good teams all over. Good teams getting picked off each and every week. This is something they have become accustomed to, and we should as well. Kansas definitely has the ability to do it.

Dallas is done. We lost. Our running game is struggling and our defense can struggle at times. Doesn't mean that we don't have the ability to win out. Win out and I firmly believe we will be in KC December 6 and Miami in January.

It starts this Saturday. Forget Texas.

soonervegas
10/15/2008, 09:53 AM
I agree with you to a point. I am much more upset about being two games back (in the standings including tiebreaker) to Texas than I am actually losing to them.

CtheB
10/15/2008, 10:01 AM
I agree with you to a point. I am much more upset about being two games back (in the standings including tiebreaker) to Texas than I am actually losing to them.

They do not have to lose twice. If we win out, TT or OSU win out (except for OU game), there will be three way tie for first in the South. All will have the same conference record, same overall record, and same division record.

Wins over two top 15 teams in November will push us up in the rankings, and we win the tiebreaker being the highest ranked team in the BCS. We go.

It's all hypothetical, but Texas doesn't have to win twice. In fact, the worst thing that can happen is Texas loses one conference game to Missouri, then they win the tiebreaker on division record.

It's really too early to project this, but I wanted to disspell the rumor that Texas has to lose twice for us to represent in the Big 12 CG.

soonerspudman
10/15/2008, 10:16 AM
....okay, it's Wednesday, let's look forward. In the words of the immortal Norman Dale, "I would only hope that you will cheer for who we are, not who we are not.".

There is so much left to play for, and nothing has been settled. The more I see it, all we lost Saturday was the #1 by our name and the control of our own destiny. As we have seen for the last few years, #1 in middle October means nothing.....nothing at all. That being said, I like our position.

So, here comes the Fightin' Manginos. Fellas, and ladies, this team can cause us a lot of problems. I am very anxious to see Box in extended action at the MLB. Although he cannot fully replace Reynolds, and I do not expect him to, I think he is going to bring a higher level of athleticism to the position. Can that stand up against a power running game? We shall see.

We are also witness to what will become the finest season of any OU quarterback. Sammy B is bringing it every Saturday, and as long as our running game is on cinder blocks, he is going to throw 4-5 TD passes a game.....add that up. What is it? 55 TD passes? And we've seen the best defenses we will see all year. He will be in New York City, and after Texas drops a game...and they will lose one....he will shoot to the top of the charts.

We are now the SEC, good teams all over. Good teams getting picked off each and every week. This is something they have become accustomed to, and we should as well. Kansas definitely has the ability to do it.

Dallas is done. We lost. Our running game is struggling and our defense can struggle at times. Doesn't mean that we don't have the ability to win out. Win out and I firmly believe we will be in KC December 6 and Miami in January.

It starts this Saturday. Forget Texas.

Spot on. Boomer Sooner baby!

Widescreen
10/15/2008, 10:26 AM
They do not have to lose twice. If we win out, TT or OSU win out (except for OU game), there will be three way tie for first in the South. All will have the same conference record, same overall record, and same division record.

Wins over two top 15 teams in November will push us up in the rankings, and we win the tiebreaker being the highest ranked team in the BCS. We go.

It's really too early to project this, but I wanted to disspell the rumor that Texas has to lose twice for us to represent in the Big 12 CG.

BCS ranking has nothing to do with who goes to the B12 CG. Unless Texas loses 1 more game than us, we can't go. And as to your assumption that if we are the highest BCS team, we'll go to the MNC game... The south team will probably win the conference. If it's not us, whoever does win will almost assuredly be ranked higher than us in the BCS - and rightfully so (because they had to play another game against a likely ranked opponent and won).

CtheB
10/15/2008, 10:38 AM
And as to your assumption that if we are the highest BCS team, we'll go to the MNC game... The south team will probably win the conference.

Not the MNC game, the Big 12 CG. Check out the way they determine the three-way tie, which, other than a 2-loss Texas, is our only chance to get to the Big 12 CG.

1.) Conference Record (all three 7-1)
2.) Head to Head (i.e. Texas beats OU, OU beats OSU or TT, OSU or TT beats Texas)
3.) Division Record (all 4-1 against the south)
4.) Overall Record (i.e. 11-1)
5.) Ranking (Possibly highest at end of season)

I believe that's how it is sorted out. It's not realistic, but possible.

StoopTroup
10/15/2008, 10:41 AM
If texas continues to win but loses to oSu and we beat oSu and you have 3 one loss teams...who goes?

I'd have to think that OU would be ranked higher than texas and oSu should that happen.

soonervegas
10/15/2008, 10:42 AM
Widescreen. I hear you and understand, but the likelyhood of either of those happening is less than Texas losing twice. I do agree that if we get into a threeway tie we will be the highest ranked BCS team and will get the nod.

ATX Sooner
10/15/2008, 10:44 AM
I agree w/ the original poster. There is a lot of football left to play. It seems as if being ranked #1 this early in the season is a curse. I like our postion in the polls and as long as we can make the necessary special teams and defensive adjustments, we will be in a good spot at the end of the year when it really matters.

JLEW1818
10/15/2008, 01:15 PM
I just don't see a 3 way tie happening, but it is possible.

nwkshawk
10/15/2008, 08:30 PM
Evening SoonerFans. First post on here, and I'm a diehard Jayhawk fan, so before I get flamed, let me make a few statements.

1. 2007 was a great year for us. 12-1, Orange Bowl, etc. This does not mean I think we're a football school now. We're still a basketball school, who's making progress in football. If we win 9+ games for the next 20 years, throw in 10 conference titles and a few NC's, then I'll start comparing KU with the traditional powerhouses in the league (OU, Nebraska, that team down south with the dead cow skull for a mascot.)

2. I hate basketball. This is the last you'll hear me mention it.

3. Along with our new found success has came a lot of *********gery. Most KU "fans" that are the loudest and most obnoxious never sat through a 70 pt. beating. Don't judge us all by a few idiots.

4. This is your board, I'll do my best to respect it and the people here.

5. I invite any of you to visit www.kusports.com and work your way to the football board there. Pretty decent people.

All that being said, I think we can all agree that your boys are going to come out pissed off. If they come out pissed off and focused, we don't have a chance even if we play our best game. We just don't have the athletes/depth. However, if they come out pissed off and out of control, I think you'll have your hands full with KU.

What are your thoughts on the game itself? Honestly, I don't know a whole lot about your team. Bradford's a bad@$$, Murray can run (sometimes), your line is huge, and you lost your best defensive player for the season. That's about all I know.

I see you dominating the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball, bradford has all day to pass, and you pick us apart. Reesing and Co. will try to rally, but it will be too little too late. Our offense tends score in bunches once it finds its rhythm. Problem is, sometimes it takes 3 quarters to find said rhythm.

The general consensus on our board is something like 35-24 OU.

I see a box score something like

OU - 14 7 7 7 35
KU - 0 7 17 0 24

You guys score a lot in the 1stQ, whereas we drag our feet, and that'll be the difference.

Oh, and one more thing. We know Mangino's fat. Can we just drop it?

JLEW1818
10/15/2008, 08:33 PM
lol

Widescreen
10/15/2008, 10:06 PM
That Mangino is OBESE.

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/7376/manginoisfatsn3.gif (http://imageshack.us)

sooner59
10/15/2008, 10:34 PM
He forgets that Mangino was a coach at OU, its not like he hate him, lol. But it is kinda funny. He left here big....then got bigger. But its Kansas this week, so he catches all the flak until it switches to Ron Prince Saturday night.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
10/15/2008, 11:16 PM
Not the MNC game, the Big 12 CG. Check out the way they determine the three-way tie, which, other than a 2-loss Texas, is our only chance to get to the Big 12 CG.

1.) Conference Record (all three 7-1)
2.) Head to Head (i.e. Texas beats OU, OU beats OSU or TT, OSU or TT beats Texas)
3.) Division Record (all 4-1 against the south)
4.) Overall Record (i.e. 11-1)
5.) Ranking (Possibly highest at end of season)

I believe that's how it is sorted out. It's not realistic, but possible.

Not terribly likely but if you add up the 3 main scenarios that get us back in the mix (1. The run the table and rematch with Tex 2. The 3-way tie where OU gets nod 3. OU wins out and Texas loses two) then it isn't so farfetched.

Honestly the toughest component of the scenario is OU winning out. If OU wins out (no small feat without Reynolds) I think a lot of other things could work their way out.

JLEW1818
10/15/2008, 11:19 PM
Not terribly likely but if you add up the 3 main scenarios that get us back in the mix (1. The run the table and rematch with Tex 2. The 3-way tie where OU gets nod 3. OU wins out and Texas loses two) then it isn't so farfetched.

Honestly the toughest component of the scenario is OU winning out. If OU wins out (no small feat without Reynolds) I think a lot of other things could work their way out.

Ditto

GottaHavePride
10/15/2008, 11:36 PM
That Mangino is OBESE.

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/7376/manginoisfatsn3.gif (http://imageshack.us)

OMG

I can't stop laughing.

and I LIKE Mangino. He just needs lap-band surgery, or something.

nwkshawk
10/16/2008, 12:41 AM
rumor around lawrence before the season said that he had lap band/gastric bypass, but I don't see it. He does't look visibly slimmer, but he does move around on the sidelines. . . easier? i guess when you're 550 lbs, you could drop 75lbs and nobody would notice. But what can I say, the man took us from 2-10 to 12-1. He can eat whatever the hell he wants. Be honest, I'm sure there's times you still wish he was calling the plays. By the way, I got a pretty good chuckle out of the dancing Mangino.