PDA

View Full Version : Anchorage Daily News: Palin "Orwellian"

Frozen Sooner
10/14/2008, 11:17 PM
Palin vindicated?

Governor offers Orwellian spin

Published: October 13th, 2008 10:02 PM
Last Modified: October 13th, 2008 10:17 PM

Sarah Palin's reaction to the Legislature's Troopergate report is an embarrassment to Alaskans and the nation.

She claims the report "vindicates" her. She said that the investigation found "no unlawful or unethical activity on my part."

Her response is either astoundingly ignorant or downright Orwellian.

Page 8, Finding Number One of the report says: "I find that Governor Sarah Palin abused her power by violating Alaska Statute 39.52.110(a) of the Alaska Executive Branch Ethics Act."

In plain English, she did something "unlawful." She broke the state ethics law.

Perhaps Gov. Palin has been too busy to actually read the Troopergate report. Perhaps she is relying on briefings from McCain campaign spinmeisters.

That's the charitable interpretation.

Because if she had actually read it, she couldn't claim "vindication" with a straight face.

Palin asserted that the report found "there was no abuse of authority at all in trying to get Officer Wooten fired."

In fact, the report concluded that "impermissible pressure was placed on several subordinates in order to advance a personal agenda, to wit: to get Trooper Michael Wooten fired."

Palin's response is the kind of political "big lie" that George Orwell warned against. War is peace. Black is white. Up is down.

Gov. Palin and her camp trumpeted the report's second finding: that she was within her legal authority to fire Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan. But the report also said it's likely one of the reasons she fired him was his failure to get rid of her ex-brother-in-law trooper.

That's not "vindication," and surely Gov. Palin knows it.

Gov. Palin does have a defense. She could have said:

"I'm gratified that the report confirmed what I said all along, that I had the authority to terminate Walt Monegan as public safety commissioner.

"I absolutely disagree that I violated state ethics law. In repeatedly complaining about trooper Mike Wooten, Todd and I were not pursuing a personal vendetta. We were trying to protect the integrity of the Alaska State Troopers from having an arrogant, almost-out-of-control law-breaker in their ranks. Because the action we were seeking was in the public interest, not purely our personal interest, there is no ethics law violation."

Gov. Palin and her husband felt so passionately about Wooten because the case was so personal to them. Their passion blinded them to any other considerations.

They had no sense that the power of the governor's office carries a special responsibility not to use it to settle family scores. They had no sense that legal restrictions might prevent the troopers from firing Wooten. They had no sense that persistent queries from the governor's office might be perceived as pressure to bend state personnel laws.

Gov. Palin and her husband were obsessed with Wooten the way Capt. Ahab was obsessed with the Great White Whale. No Wooten, no peace.

Has Gov. Palin committed an impeachable offense? Hardly.

Is what she did indictable? No.

But it wasn't appropriate, especially for someone elected as an ethical reformer. And her Orwellian claims of "vindication" make this blemish on her record look even worse.

You asked us to hold you accountable, Gov. Palin. Did you mean it?

Bottom line: Gov. Palin, read the report. It says you violated the ethics law.

There's also word today that the investigation of the same matter by the State Personnel Board has widened its scope and that multiple allegations of abuse of power by Sarah Palin are being investigated now.

Scott D
10/14/2008, 11:48 PM
provided that is all accurate, that would make Sarah Palin a thug in Homey's book.

Ike
10/15/2008, 01:36 AM
provided that is all accurate, that would make Sarah Palin a thug in Homey's book.

But isn't that what a Hockey mom/Barracuda is supposed to be?

StoopTroup
10/15/2008, 07:56 AM
All that is so Mavericky.

IT gives me the warm fuzzies...

http://cache.defamer.com/assets/images/defamer/2008/09/AP080505011454.jpg

RacerX
10/15/2008, 08:48 AM
http://images.despair.com/products/demotivators/power.jpg

achiro
10/15/2008, 10:03 AM
So you guys that think she abused her power. If you had a nephew and his dad was a cop and among several other really bad things, his dad used the tazer on him and you were in a position to "persuade" his boss to fire him...you are a lying bastard if you say you would do nothing. :D

Stoop Dawg
10/15/2008, 10:12 AM
So you guys that think she abused her power. If you had a nephew and his dad was a cop and among several other really bad things, his dad used the tazer on him and you were in a position to "persuade" his boss to fire him...you are a lying bastard if you say you would do nothing. :D

And when the subsequent investigation said you violated state ethics laws, would you then claim that the investigation actually "vindicated" you?

That is stretching the truth on a Clinton-esque scale.

leavingthezoo
10/15/2008, 10:14 AM

nobody is defending an obvious prick.

as for abusing powers, husband governer clearly is on a mission, and most certainly should not be using the governers office to pursue that mission, however justified it might be. i don't know if palin abused her powers so much as abdicated them. either way, it doesn't look purty. probably needs more lipstick. ;)

StoopTroup
10/15/2008, 10:14 AM

It would take some restraint.

I hope she learns from it...

I think if she would just say something like..."I'm glad this is behind us now...I might have done a few things differently looking back. I'm glad this is resolved.", I think she might be able to blow on by this...

Guess we'll see....

47straight
10/15/2008, 10:48 AM
If it was Biden you all would be congratulating him on his relentless efforts to make sure a domestic abuser was appropriately punished.

StoopTroup
10/15/2008, 10:52 AM
If it was Biden you all would be congratulating him on his relentless efforts to make sure a domestic abuser was appropriately punished.

Probably...however...he has been in the game longer and should know better.

Palin is getting hammered pretty hard. :D

I think she's in hiding.

Not good IMO.

leavingthezoo
10/15/2008, 10:53 AM

and yet, it's not biden.

:rolleyes:

Partial Qualifier
10/15/2008, 11:01 AM
So in the end, this is it:

Has Gov. Palin committed an impeachable offense? Hardly.

Is what she did indictable? No.

I suppose she could claim "vindication" on a personal level because this issue has been blown so way out of proportion by those who oppose her ideals, for lack of any other real "dirt" to be found on her.

And her Orwellian claims of "vindication" make this blemish on her record look even worse.

To who? People who didn't like her to begin with? Big deal.

NormanPride
10/15/2008, 11:21 AM
Is what she did illegal?

Is what she did unethical?

Can she be tried and convicted for it?

Can she be removed from office for it?

Serious questions.

leavingthezoo
10/15/2008, 11:49 AM
Is what she did illegal?
No. She has the right to fire who she wants to fire. Period. As far as Monegan goes she didn't cross lines, technically.

A judge urged the entire family to step back and consider the children of the father they were trying to get fired. Shooting the golden goose, or something to that effect would ultimately hurt everybody. Unethical? Depends on if you think someone trying to get someone else fired because of a personal vendetta is unethical. She (and Todd) didn't succeed at getting Wooten fired-- so, I guess she was unsuccessfully unethical. But, as for Monegan, again... no, because she has the right to fire who she wants to fire.

No, not for Monegan (sp?).

I am guessing she might be removed from office for it through a vote. Heh. Beyond that, no.

Serious questions.

I think there are two separate issues here. One is firing Monegan. Because of praising him previously, it's easy to see why some would think she fired him because the "Wooten" outcome was not what she wanted, but she's protected by the rule of power to remove someone from a job for any reason. So, meh. She's cleared.

The second issue, where I feel like she was out of line, was how they pushed to have someone fired who had been reprimanded according to policy, and the case was considered over.

In the end, she's either your homecoming queen, or the bitch the stole the crown. I think it depends on party lines... Heh.

Kinda like Obama palling around with terrorists.

Frozen Sooner
10/15/2008, 11:53 AM
Is what she did illegal?

Yes. It was a violation of the Alaska Executive Branch Ethics act, as clearly delineated in the report.

Yes. Use of political power for pursuit of personal goals is explicitly unethical under the referenced act.

Yes.

Yes, but unlikely.

Serious questions.

Sorry, LTZ, but I had to correct some of the things you posted above. You are correct-firing Monegan was within the scope of her power and authority. Pressuring state employees to punish another state employee due to a personal feud was indeed both illegal and unethical.

mdklatt
10/15/2008, 11:54 AM
This isn't about what she did, it's about another shining example of her jaw-dropping obliviousness.

She said that the investigation found "no unlawful or unethical activity on my part."

Page 8, Finding Number One of the report says: "I find that Governor Sarah Palin abused her power by violating Alaska Statute 39.52.110(a) of the Alaska Executive Branch Ethics Act."

1984: It's not an instruction manual.

Frozen Sooner
10/15/2008, 11:55 AM

She was not in such a position, as defined by state law. State law specifically forbids using a position of authority for personal ends.

leavingthezoo
10/15/2008, 11:56 AM
Sorry, LTZ, but I had to correct some of the things you posted above.

I welcome the correction and agree. Reading the reports; however, give no indication ethical violations will be pursued-- so based on the no laws broken in firing Monegan, abuse of power lines... I'm still ok with my response. I do like yours better though and believe it's how it SHOULD be, not how it is. Heh.

NormanPride
10/15/2008, 11:58 AM
Thanks. She is not doing a good job of doing nothing wrong and looking pretty, which is, I think, why they chose her.

Ike
10/15/2008, 12:35 PM
Thanks. She is not doing a good job of doing nothing wrong and looking pretty, which is, I think, why they chose her.

Once anyone runs for any federal office, the shine comes off em pretty quickly.

mdklatt
10/15/2008, 12:37 PM
Once anyone runs for any federal office, the shine comes off em pretty quickly.

That's the fundamental flaw with all politicians: You've got to be an arrogant blowhard to run for the job in the first place.

Oldnslo
10/15/2008, 01:56 PM
That's the fundamental flaw with all politicians: You've got to be an arrogant blowhard to run for the job in the first place.

IN