PDA

View Full Version : Things Sure Have A Changed Around Here

PLaw
10/14/2008, 10:09 PM
Back in the day . . .

. . . A wise coach said that the best defense was a good offense. Implying your defense stayed off of the field because the other team wasn't generally going to score while your D's asses were on the bench. Oh yeah, I think that coach's name was Switzer.

. . . The goal was to play for the National Championship. The Big 8 championship was a by-product of getting to play for the ultimate goal. Lately, it's starting to look like the old Big 10 - gosh darn - win the conference and go play in the Rose Bowl. How many Big 10 championships did Bo Schembechler win? 13. National Championships? notta.

. . . There was aingst and gnashing of teeth if an oponent put up more than three TD's on the SOONERS. Granted the game has evolved. So is 4 TD's the new 3?? At what point do you say that the D failed?

Yeah, we aren't going back to three yards and a cloud of dust anytime soon. However, at some point, you need to look at the man in the mirror and use the data to drive decisions.

Bob is a damn good football coach of unquestionable integrity and character. I hope he stays in Norman coaching the SOONERS for the rest of my life. But I want to see BIG GAME BOB find his MOJO again, sooner than later.

BOOMER

SbOrOiNaEnR
10/14/2008, 10:18 PM
But I want to see BIG GAME BOB find his MOJO again, sooner than later.

Stoops coaches Odessa Permian??? ;)

sooner59
10/14/2008, 10:19 PM
Yep, I agree that in today's game, you have to allow more points before you say the defense is lacking. Its really all depends on the type of offense you are facing. To me....when face a great offense, I believe 35 points is the cutoff. I say if you score 35 points even against a great offense, then you should win the game. If not, then your defense/special teams is lacking (unless you threw a pick 6). But obviously our D wasn't all that against Texas. Have to do better...and I think we will.

HopeSpringsEternal
10/15/2008, 04:04 AM
By doing better do you mean having an "apparent" good performance because the other teams lack the talent to expose the D for what it is or do you mean actually holding a decent offense to less than 40 points? I can guarantee you Mangino is licking his ample chops.

StoopTroup
10/15/2008, 09:08 AM
In all fairness...

Things changed when Gibbs was fired.

What occurred after that was something most of us would never want to go through again.

All that's happening for the most part is...

Bob Stoops

The guy lost a big game again.

He's been hammered on about the Bowl Games and now some folks would like to build on that because of the texas loss.

Blame Venables...but...it's Stoops that keeps him.

I will never believe that Bob isn't right there in the middle of VB when the Defensive plays go in...

The thing is...look at College Football right now...

The game is to outscore your opponent.

Defensive games aren't as exciting for most folks either.

It's come down to getting someone to go 3 and out so your team can get up on them on the scoreboard.

Put pressure on the other team by getting up on them.

It worked against us last Saturday.

Big numbers on the scoreboard and winning equate to a BCS Bowl bid.

Bob has gotten us to the MNC 3 times. Won once.

You can bag on him for losing some of the other Bowls but they were just about money IMO....

The BCS MNC is the goal...will always be the goal.

The Big XII Championship had to be done due to the size of the Conference.

I don't like the fact that other Conferences don't have a Big Conference Game...but there isn't much I can do about it.

The NFL changes things all the time to make the game more interesting...

The NCAA does too.

The game and the rules have changed since the old days.

Things are much more complicated.

Is it a good thing?

I'd say so...

Bob had brought OU Football back as a force to be reconned with.

soonershok
10/15/2008, 09:28 AM
I personally favor defenses over the offense. I don't remember who said it, but it has always stuck with me. "If they can't score, we can't lose!"

NormanPride
10/15/2008, 09:43 AM
In all fairness...

Things changed when Gibbs was fired.

What occurred after that was something most of us would never want to go through again.

All that's happening for the most part is...

Bob Stoops

The guy lost a big game again.

He's been hammered on about the Bowl Games and now some folks would like to build on that because of the texas loss.

Blame Venables...but...it's Stoops that keeps him.

I will never believe that Bob isn't right there in the middle of VB when the Defensive plays go in...

The thing is...look at College Football right now...

The game is to outscore your opponent.

Defensive games aren't as exciting for most folks either.

It's come down to getting someone to go 3 and out so your team can get up on them on the scoreboard.

Put pressure on the other team by getting up on them.

It worked against us last Saturday.

Big numbers on the scoreboard and winning equate to a BCS Bowl bid.

Bob has gotten us to the MNC 3 times. Won once.

You can bag on him for losing some of the other Bowls but they were just about money IMO....

The BCS MNC is the goal...will always be the goal.

The Big XII Championship had to be done due to the size of the Conference.

I don't like the fact that other Conferences don't have a Big Conference Game...but there isn't much I can do about it.

The NFL changes things all the time to make the game more interesting...

The NCAA does too.

The game and the rules have changed since the old days.

Things are much more complicated.

Is it a good thing?

I'd say so...

Bob had brought OU Football back as a force to be reconned with.

Jenni..? ;)

StoopTroup
10/15/2008, 09:46 AM
Jenni..? ;)

Don't even....lol

CtheB
10/15/2008, 09:50 AM
Back in the day . . .

. . . A wise coach said that the best defense was a good offense. Implying your defense stayed off of the field because the other team wasn't generally going to score while your D's asses were on the bench. Oh yeah, I think that coach's name was Switzer.

. . . The goal was to play for the National Championship. The Big 8 championship was a by-product of getting to play for the ultimate goal. Lately, it's starting to look like the old Big 10 - gosh darn - win the conference and go play in the Rose Bowl. How many Big 10 championships did Bo Schembechler win? 13. National Championships? notta.

. . . There was aingst and gnashing of teeth if an oponent put up more than three TD's on the SOONERS. Granted the game has evolved. So is 4 TD's the new 3?? At what point do you say that the D failed?

Yeah, we aren't going back to three yards and a cloud of dust anytime soon. However, at some point, you need to look at the man in the mirror and use the data to drive decisions.

Bob is a damn good football coach of unquestionable integrity and character. I hope he stays in Norman coaching the SOONERS for the rest of my life. But I want to see BIG GAME BOB find his MOJO again, sooner than later.

BOOMER

35 points would have been enough to win any OU/Texas game in my lifetime. We scored 35, and lost by 10. Yes, the game has changed significantly.

soonermix
10/15/2008, 10:05 AM
At what point do you say that the D failed?

when they had more points than us.

soonerspudman
10/15/2008, 10:45 AM

Yep, the game's changed a-plenty, basically holding is allowed on every play, that's the biggest change. Used to be if someone scored more than 20 on a Switzer D it was a huge deal, and he used to just run a base 5-2, you couldn't do that today.

That said, I've always felt the Stoops/BV take too many risks on D that seem to burn us more times than help us. Even more, I suspect sometimes the D is so complicated that our players lock up from uncertainty. The blitz packages are fun but too often place our LBs and DBs out on an island and opponents end up exploiting us.

Seems like we need to simplify, put helmet on helmet and go beat offenses with dominating force, that's was Switzers basic approach.

StoopTroup
10/15/2008, 12:02 PM
Could be that guys are being over-Coached.

Big games sure have had us the last few years.

Are we missing the Magic?

SanDiegoSoonerGal
10/15/2008, 09:57 PM
Back in the day . . .

Actually, no. I always thought that quote came from Knute Rockne, but when I got on the internets tonight and started searching around, I could find no definitive attribution for the quote.

However, I digress. Because my point was that until recently, I thought the phrase was "The best offense is a good defense." Which makes perfect sense when you think about it because 1) the defense can keep the other team from scoring and 2) the defense itself can score points via a turnover on top of whatever the offense scores.

Therefore, I think I'm smarter than Knute Rockne. Or whoever said that other thing. And besides, I'm a close confidante of Barry Switzer. :D

Curly Bill
10/15/2008, 09:59 PM
Could be that guys are being over-Coached.

Big games sure have had us the last few years.

Are we missing the Magic?

Nope, were missing: Swagger!!!

badger
10/16/2008, 09:06 AM
Gawd... freakin'... profanity... argh...

They're called "big games" because they're tough to win!

You know, like a 3-point-shot being a low-percentage shot - it's cuz they're tough to make all the time!

If Michael Jordan missed a game winning 3-pointer, would that take away from all the game he's hit it before? Apparently, because Bob Stoops lost to Texas, suddenly we are all going down the carper.

http://www.visseninfrankrijk.com/images/carper.gif
Mmmm... carp....

:mad: ANYWAY, we played FOUR ranked opponent games last year and won THREE (but omg, since we lost one and it was a bowl game, he is no longer Big Game Bob, omg!), this year, we have played TWO thus far and won one (but omg, since that one loss was to Texas, we best switch out our crimson for orange to be on the winning side, omg).

I know it is the popular thing to do these days, but dang it, as a recent loser of her avatar and signature, I don't need any more reminders that we lost to Texas, because I think we're all way too aware of this... but seriously, London bridge is not falling down. We have an entire second half of a season to redeem for this loss (and yes, losses happen, because otherwise, Bammer would be claiming more than 13 championships by now).

:)