PDA

View Full Version : I'll let it go now...

westcoast_sooner
10/14/2008, 07:25 PM
Finally off of suicide watch after the Sooners gave up 45 to the dreaded horns. Still wondering what it's gonna take for Big Game Bob to return to the sidelines in Norman and regain the prominence of OU winning numbers 8 and 9 under his watch.

This was supposed to be the start of our return, this was supposed to be the game that put "Coach Clappy" back in his place and solidify the Sooner Nation to the top of the college football heap.

Why is it that what once worked like a charm - a trick play, a fake punt, something completely unexpected, something that always seemingly worked through Stoops first few years, never seems to work, or works against us by the other team?

Why is it that "instant classic" games lately all feature the Sooners on the losing end? Why can't we get over the hump and win our 8th MNC?

As a part of my recovery, I decided to look at the bowl records of some legendary coaches. I first looked at Tom Osborne's record. Overall, he was 255-49-3. But his bowl record was only 12-13. A closer look reveals that he won his last 4 bowl game straight, and 7 game losing streak in bowls before 1994 when he won the Orange Bowl.

Bo Schembechler - longtime coach at Michigan, and one of the greats, only had a 5 - 12 bowl record. Clearly he wasn't the kind of guy I was looking for to bolster my hopes that Coach Stoops and co will turn things around.

But it doesn't matter what Bo did, or what Dr. Tom did. What matters is that we have a guy as our head coach that consistently puts a quality product on the field, and gives us something we can believe in as Sooner fans.

We're not going to win them all. We're not going to beat the burnt orange rivals from the south every year, but with Coach Stoops, we're gonna be a contender every single year.

Someday, hopefully soon, he'll get his mojo back. Maybe he needs to find Austin Powers and go back in time or something. Maybe he just needs to go back to doing what he did when he was building his reputation. Maybe he just needs to get a little older and wiser, like Joe Pa.

Anyway, I'm done with it. Bring on KU, let's kick the **** out of them in Norman on Saturday and work on running the table and getting the opportunity to get back to the big stage.

Thanks - I'll be fine.

CK Sooner
10/14/2008, 07:30 PM
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o145/Siwright/P1010182.jpg

primetime43
10/14/2008, 08:17 PM
Finally off of suicide watch after the Sooners gave up 45 to the dreaded horns. Still wondering what it's gonna take for Big Game Bob to return to the sidelines in Norman and regain the prominence of OU winning numbers 8 and 9 under his watch.

This was supposed to be the start of our return, this was supposed to be the game that put "Coach Clappy" back in his place and solidify the Sooner Nation to the top of the college football heap.

Why is it that what once worked like a charm - a trick play, a fake punt, something completely unexpected, something that always seemingly worked through Stoops first few years, never seems to work, or works against us by the other team?

Why is it that "instant classic" games lately all feature the Sooners on the losing end? Why can't we get over the hump and win our 8th MNC?

As a part of my recovery, I decided to look at the bowl records of some legendary coaches. I first looked at Tom Osborne's record. Overall, he was 255-49-3. But his bowl record was only 12-13. A closer look reveals that he won his last 4 bowl game straight, and 7 game losing streak in bowls before 1994 when he won the Orange Bowl.

Bo Schembechler - longtime coach at Michigan, and one of the greats, only had a 5 - 12 bowl record. Clearly he wasn't the kind of guy I was looking for to bolster my hopes that Coach Stoops and co will turn things around.

But it doesn't matter what Bo did, or what Dr. Tom did. What matters is that we have a guy as our head coach that consistently puts a quality product on the field, and gives us something we can believe in as Sooner fans.

We're not going to win them all. We're not going to beat the burnt orange rivals from the south every year, but with Coach Stoops, we're gonna be a contender every single year.

Someday, hopefully soon, he'll get his mojo back. Maybe he needs to find Austin Powers and go back in time or something. Maybe he just needs to go back to doing what he did when he was building his reputation. Maybe he just needs to get a little older and wiser, like Joe Pa.

Anyway, I'm done with it. Bring on KU, let's kick the **** out of them in Norman on Saturday and work on running the table and getting the opportunity to get back to the big stage.

Thanks - I'll be fine.

Amen! Well said.

hink4769
10/14/2008, 10:34 PM

When exactly did we leave the top of the college football heap? Maybe we haven't been #1 over the last couple years, but there's only a couple programs that have been better.

JLEW1818
10/14/2008, 10:49 PM
Just got to let it breathe.....

goingoneight
10/14/2008, 11:03 PM
Jeff Fisher says you'll have to work to get better. :D

HornsHouse
10/15/2008, 01:14 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I think a lot of passion and fire left with Mike.

misplacedsooner
10/15/2008, 01:28 AM
how many schools in the nation wish they were half a successful as us?? how many wish they could be us?? stepping back and looking at it we aint got it so bad, if all people can say is we cant win the big one about us what does that say about 119 other schools???they cant even get there. we will lose some big ones and win some big ones but we will always be there.

boomermagic
10/15/2008, 01:25 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I think a lot of passion and fire left with Mike.

No doubt about it..

soonervegas
10/15/2008, 02:44 PM
He will start winning the big games again as soon as he realizes loyalty has to be left at the door in big time college football. Coach Brown turned this rivarly around the moment he had the guts to change direction on the defensive side of the ball.