PDA

View Full Version : Just got word about student ticket sales

Ardmore_Sooner
10/14/2008, 03:29 PM
After calling the ticket office numerous times, I finally thought I'd go to the source. They never would give me a number on the number of student tickets that they had sold. Today I asked Kenny Mossman, and he told me that 1,200 have been sold so far! There are only 1,400 available, so only 200 to go! Get ready people! :D:D:D:D

w0lfe
10/14/2008, 04:01 PM
very impressive. Now if we can fill the other 10,000 seats I will be extremely happy :)

badger
10/14/2008, 04:57 PM
very impressive. Now if we can fill the other 10,000 seats I will be extremely happy :)

Perhaps an upgrade in non-conference opponents would increase interest before conference play starts?

Ardmore_Sooner
10/14/2008, 05:08 PM
Perhaps an upgrade in non-conference opponents would increase interest before conference play starts?

So OU should stop playing the UT-Chatanoogas and the North Texas teams in football too?

This is a weak argument for those who like to make excuses for not going to basketball games. This is done EVERYWHERE and it helps build players prior to the conference season, with 2-4 above average to excellent opponents. When you play 10+ non-conference games, you can't play world beaters every time.

OUSKINS
10/15/2008, 08:49 AM
Agreed Ardmore....USC, Utah, and Davidson coming in to the LNC is decent.

Then, we play at Arkansas and VCU in the All-College. Add in what we hope will be two tough opponents at the pre-season NIT in NYC, and you have a solid OCC schedule.

No excuses for poor attendance this year. None.

NormanPride
10/15/2008, 09:39 AM
I'd like to see an atmosphere outside of the LNC. Make it a bit like football games, and perhaps more people will show up. Maybe work with O'Connell's to get them a booth or something out there where they can serve food and have TVs. If you get students and locals AROUND the game, then they'll be more inspired to attend.

w0lfe
10/16/2008, 09:33 AM
yea the environment outside the LNC is pretty weak. Now do are these student tickets for the actual seats or do they have any kind of option where they can go into the crimzone. Personally, I would rather see people in the stands, covering up those ugly orange seats. I think people in the Crimzone makes our arena look even more empty.

Ardmore_Sooner
10/16/2008, 10:36 AM
The Crimzone on the sides have been ELIMINATED.

GoState
10/16/2008, 12:16 PM

I feel your pain. Our ""marquee"" non-conference opponent in GIA this year is Tulsa. Sigh. I've been a season ticket holder for a little under 20 years and have only seen a handful of really good non-conference teams in GIA.

I understand the need to have some Cupcake U type of teams on the home schedule, but I also want to see some name teams. OU has had some good teams come to Norman the last few years. Off the top of my head, I can think of UConn, Arkansas (although they have been down recently...but at least they have some history), Maryland, and Bama. USC, Utah, and Davidson make up a nice set of teams for the schedule and should be fun. Curry was amazing last season.

You guys are poised to have one helluva year. I saw that both OU mens and womens are preseason #1 in Big 12 picks, and you have both mens'/womens' pre-season player of the year AND freshmen of the year. Yeow.

badger
10/16/2008, 03:17 PM
I feel your pain. Our ""marquee"" non-conference opponent in GIA this year is Tulsa. Sigh. I've been a season ticket holder for a little under 20 years and have only seen a handful of really good non-conference teams in GIA.

We have a Tulsa game this year also - it's in the BOK Center in Tulsa :D Hopefully NP and I will be able to go see it!

Crimzone gone from both sides

wha, wha, WHAT?! :mad: Where are they putting the hordes of students, the orange-red upper seats?! Boooooo.

Ideas for new "Crimzone:"

(1) Give it a new, better name, like "Top Dawg Pound" :D

(2) Eliminate cushy seats and make them into something that makes a lot of noise, like metal bleachers (like Cleveland's Dog Pound) or at least metal floors to jump on.

(3) Do not provide instructions.

"Dear Sooner students basketball attendee, enclosed in the Sooner student basketball fan packet are your cheering materials for the game. Please follow the basketball game syllabus for the next two hours:
7 pm: Remove newspaper from fan packet and place in front of head when opposing team runs out onto the court.
7:15 pm: Sit down as to not block high paying alumni views, unless this is deemed by the second half to be a "Non-attending game" by Joe Castiglione.
7:30 pm: Start the wave by lifting arms and saying "Woo!" starting with students on the left side and moving to the right. If alumni do not participate, try again in one minute's time.
7:45 pm: Approximate end of first half of play. You will not be eligible for your bursar discount if you leave at halftime. A Yellow Shirt Gestapo (YSG) official will scan your ticket at the start of the second half to confirm your second half attendance.
8 pm: If you have not destroyed your newspaper, place it in front of your head for the opposing team arriving back at halftime. If you did destroy your newspaper, a replacement newspaper will be issued by the YSG.
8:15 pm: You are now eligible for early departure without bursar penalty. However, should you leave, you will be ineligible for your "free corpoarate-sponsored OU t-shirt."
8:30 pm: Credit card applications may be filled out at this time to receive a free corporate-sponsored OU t-shirt.
8:45 pm: Remove your personal keys from your jacket, shirt or jean pockets and jingle them to signify the final minute of gameplay. If you did not bring keys to jingle, YSG will provide you will a complimentary set of OU keys. OU keys do not open any doors to anywhere, but must nonetheless be returned to YSG personnel following the final buzzer. Chants of "Thank you, honored guests" are preferable to any insulting alternatives, such as "Go start the bus."
9 pm: End of regulation. Please pick up any trash and place it in provided receptacles out of common courtesy. No trash will be provided by YSG personnel, so please provide your own for this student fan activity."

:mad: Crimzon gone... probably went to donors that won't show up.

GoState
10/16/2008, 04:02 PM
Yeah, big money talks. Approximately how many of your lower-level seats were/are dedicated to students?

GIA used to have students on the floor seats everywhere but center court. Now they only get 1.5 of the endzones (band gets half of one) and the rest are up in the third level. Other than the endzones, the floor seats are now high dollar cushy seats and "Jack Nicholson" courtside seats.

It's the students that make most of the noise and atmosphere at a basketball game. While I would love to have those courtside seats now, I had my chance when I was student. Let the students have 'em! How many top basketball schools give the floor to the students? Duke? Who else?

Ardmore_Sooner
10/16/2008, 05:18 PM
The "Crimzone" is moved behind the goal and the student section is right behind the goals and not to the side anymore. Don't worry badj, we are taking care of things. ;)

w0lfe
10/17/2008, 09:37 AM
Yea, I think we need to develop certain cheers throughout the game, sorta like Duke does. I think that this would further enhance the environment of the LNC. Still have our annual white out game, preferably against Kansas. And maybe a few other things like this to give the people something else to look forward to.

OUstud
10/18/2008, 07:09 PM
The "Crimzone" is moved behind the goal and the student section is right behind the goals and not to the side anymore. Don't worry badj, we are taking care of things. ;)

YES YES Y-E-S! Finally! I never got why it was in the corner. I'm so excited for this year, it's going to be awesome.