PDA

View Full Version : Gary Barnett on KC Radio: OU still best team in country

Blitzkrieg
10/14/2008, 03:12 PM
He called the game for espn radio or something, said that OU was waaay to hyped up prior to the game, made many mistakes because they were too up for it. Said that afternoon texas was better, but Ou is the better team and has time to show it. Said officiating was terrible, that it somewhat evened out. He also thought the kick return saved the game for Texas, Ou was looking for the knockout early. Says KU is in big trouble this weekend.

He said he told Stoops before the game that this team was better than the 2004 squad.

I think this oine of thinking is why we only dropped 4 spots, I think the nation say Texas overachieve and OU self destruct with penalties, some were questionable. I think a bad loss by UT anywhere along the line gets them dropped behind OU.

JLEW1818
10/14/2008, 03:14 PM
Texas and Kansas are in trouble this weekend.

badger
10/14/2008, 03:26 PM
Excuse me, I need to put on my Gary Barnett secret decoder ring...

Gary: Be sure to drink your Ovaltine.

:mad: Ok, goodBYE, secret decoder ring (toilet flushes)... NOW, for common sense translation...

Gary: I need a job. ANY job. You know I can coach, I just can't stand female kickers. My GAWD, girls can be a kick in the balls... but they can't kick a ball worth a d@mn. So anyway, Stoopsie boy, Stoops my main man... Mr. Stoops, SIR... please give me a job. I will do anything to earn my reputation that soiled and shot in the heart back. I just need another chance. Any chance. Remember those Big 12 championship games that you beat Colorado over and over? You OWE me, man... SIR. Please???

BornandBred
10/14/2008, 03:27 PM
Me thinks y'all have crimson colored glasses.

Agreed. We are essentially starting over at the most critical position on defense, our running game is currently mediocre, and our special teams are pitiful. We have A LOT of ground to make up.

I'm not saying we can't finish as the best team in the country, we've got a ton of what it takes to get there, but currently, we are NOT. I trust BV to get Box, or whoever he chooses, into fine playing shape, but I doubt it'll be immediate. I think we have the most potential of any team in the top 5, but potential ain't crap until it's realized.

primetime43
10/14/2008, 03:28 PM
. He also thought the kick return saved the game for Texas, Ou was looking for the knockout early.

No doubt play of the game that changed everything. Still has me scratching my head how Jordan Shipley "housed" one on us??

OUthunder
10/14/2008, 03:29 PM
He called the game for espn radio or something, said that OU was waaay to hyped up prior to the game, made many mistakes because they were too up for it. Said that afternoon texas was better, but Ou is the better team and has time to show it. Said officiating was terrible, that it somewhat evened out. He also thought the kick return saved the game for Texas, Ou was looking for the knockout early. Says KU is in big trouble this weekend.

He said he told Stoops before the game that this team was better than the 2004 squad.

I think this oine of thinking is why we only dropped 4 spots, I think the nation say Texas overachieve and OU self destruct with penalties, some were questionable. I think a bad loss by UT anywhere along the line gets them dropped behind OU.

Sounds good to me.

KC//CRIMSON
10/14/2008, 03:31 PM

Gary's had one too many "Jager Bombs."

JLEW1818
10/14/2008, 03:36 PM
I'm feeling a miracle on defense

OUthunder
10/14/2008, 03:37 PM

Me too. It's the the giving time of the season.

JLEW1818
10/14/2008, 03:44 PM
Just looking at the stats of big 12 quarterbacks, its going to be hard for Texas to win out. I know we still have to play some great qb's also. Early early, anything can happen.

UTgolfer
10/14/2008, 03:44 PM

OU's relatively small drop in the polls is because the voters are relying on Stoops' analysis of the relative strengths of this squad vs. previous ones? Are you serious? It has far more to do with the fact that OU played a good game on Saturday and had a "good" loss as opposed the "bad" losses for the teams behind it in the polls. Lastly, UT overachieved and OU self-destructed? Is it so hard for you to give UT a little credit for a good game plan?

TheUnnamedSooner
10/14/2008, 03:45 PM

It's the only hope?

UTgolfer
10/14/2008, 03:48 PM
Just looking at the stats of big 12 quarterbacks, its going to be hard for Texas to win out. I know we still have to play some great qb's also. Early early, anything can happen.

Enlighten us. If UT just beat the team with the best QB in the conference then what makes you believe that when we face teams with inferior QB's that we have more to worry about?

badger
10/14/2008, 03:50 PM
Enlighten us. If UT just beat the team with the best QB in the conference then what makes you believe that when we face teams with inferior QB's that we have more to worry about?

Here is your enlightenment:
http://images.chron.com/photos/2006/11/24/4548420/311xInlineGallery.jpg
If the quarterback of our defense tears his ACL and is out for the season, what will happen when your quarterback (of your offense) goes down?

Football is a fickle game to play. One day you're a national award contending player, the next you're on the sidelines watching your career pass before your eyes. Being a reasonable fan from a semi-successful program, I'm sure you would understand this more than say our little sisters in Stilly. Was Texas A&M better than you the past two seasons, or did they just hit your quarterback a lot?

Oh... and eff you ;)

Breadburner
10/14/2008, 03:52 PM
It's the only hope?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radioassets/photos/2006/4/25/611_2.jpg

AlbqSooner
10/14/2008, 04:12 PM

:mad: Ok, goodBYE, secret decoder ring (toilet flushes)... NOW, for common sense translation...

Gary: I need a job. ANY job. You know I can coach, I just can't stand female kickers. My GAWD, girls can be a kick in the balls... but they can't kick a ball worth a d@mn. So anyway, Stoopsie boy, Stoops my main man... Mr. Stoops, SIR... please give me a job. I will do anything to earn my reputation that soiled and shot in the heart back. I just need another chance. Any chance. Remember those Big 12 championship games that you beat Colorado over and over? You OWE me, man... SIR. Please???

Interestingly, the buzz among New Mexico alums is that Rocky Long is gone at the end of the season and Gary Barnett is the probable hire. Srsly.

Thing that makes it interesting is that after leaving the debauchery of Colorado under Barnett, Katie Hnida (I think that is how it is spelled) became the kicker at UNM.

UTgolfer
10/14/2008, 04:22 PM
Here is your enlightenment:
http://images.chron.com/photos/2006/11/24/4548420/311xInlineGallery.jpg
If the quarterback of our defense tears his ACL and is out for the season, what will happen when your quarterback (of your offense) goes down?

Football is a fickle game to play. One day you're a national award contending player, the next you're on the sidelines watching your career pass before your eyes. Being a reasonable fan from a semi-successful program, I'm sure you would understand this more than say our little sisters in Stilly. Was Texas A&M better than you the past two seasons, or did they just hit your quarterback a lot?

Oh... and eff you ;)

Valid points all dear...but doesn't answer the original question posed. Looking at the QB stats of our upcoming opponens should cause UT worry? And are you saying we should expect to see Bradford blow out his ACL soon?

We know well what happens when there are injuries...and we suffered through our fair share last year along the offensive line. And Colt's play suffered and he got beat to hell for sure. Its definitely a team game.

badger
10/14/2008, 04:29 PM
Valid points all dear...but doesn't answer the original question posed. Looking at the QB stats of our upcoming opponens should cause UT worry? And are you saying we should expect to see Bradford blow out his ACL soon?
No, I was referring to your quarterback and your quarterback is not Bradford so as such, you shouldn't expect our quarterback to blow out his ACL. Your quarterback on the other hand...

Let's face it, Colt McCoy's spent a lot of time on the ground in certain games that you've lost these past few seasons. Perhaps OU didn't get to Colt, but one of these other teams that has nothing to lose will... a KSU and/or an aTm, for example. Of course, you don't play KSU this year, but you will be playing teams like them - losing and desperate to make an impression on the No. 1 team in the country.

TexasEx4OU
10/14/2008, 04:39 PM
Lastly, UT overachieved and OU self-destructed? Is it so hard for you to give UT a little credit for a good game plan?

Well, if we are talking about UT's offensive game plan (and, specifically, the shift of Shipley to TE, to which I give all the credit in the world), and you consider Greg Davis' history in the RRS, then you'd have to admit that UT overachieved...no?

UTgolfer
10/14/2008, 04:39 PM
No, I was referring to your quarterback and your quarterback is not Bradford so as such, you shouldn't expect our quarterback to blow out his ACL. Your quarterback on the other hand...

Let's face it, Colt McCoy's spent a lot of time on the ground in certain games that you've lost these past few seasons. Perhaps OU didn't get to Colt, but one of these other teams that has nothing to lose will... a KSU and/or an aTm, for example. Of course, you don't play KSU this year, but you will be playing teams like them - losing and desperate to make an impression on the No. 1 team in the country.

First...apologies for my initial sarcasm not being more self-evident regarding Bradford.

Second...you are right, Colt is a marked man and has earned a bit of a reputation for himself as being injury prone. But he has gotten much stronger and it shows. But should he go down certainly we would be in trouble.

Third...I'd still love an explanation regarding the original statment that we should be worried about the QBs we are about to face.

UTgolfer
10/14/2008, 04:47 PM
Well, if we are talking about UT's offensive game plan (and, specifically, the shift of Shipley to TE, to which I give all the credit in the world), and you consider Greg Davis' history in the RRS, then you'd have to admit that UT overachieved...no?

So we now take history into account when considering single-game performances? I'd say that he has a pretty good record recently doesn't he? Guess our defense overachieved too? Especially since Mushchamp has a terrible history in this series. And given his terrible reputation overall, right? How can we leave out special teams play? Lets not forget to throw Mack and his track record out there too, right?

Point is...both teams played well. UT has been on the receiving end of several great performances by OU in recent years. Simply pointing out that it would be far more gracious to simply give a little credit where it is due.

rainiersooner
10/14/2008, 04:49 PM
I don't see the shame in overachieving. Even Mack Brown made a big point after the game about the spirit and cohesion of your team - as opposed to other teams he's had where there were a ton of individual stars.

badger
10/14/2008, 04:53 PM
Third...I'd still love an explanation regarding the original statment that we should be worried about the QBs we are about to face.

<sigh> Why I am responding to you when I'm already tormented by my forced avatar and sig... ehhhh...

Next week you face Chase Daniel, QB of Misery. If you haven't figured it out by now, he is roided and roid rage is cause for concern for more than pro wrestling fans.

The week after you face Zac Robinson, QB of Pokie State. If you haven't gotten the memo, Zac was second only to Tebow last season in OMG STATZ!!1! and thus, your defense will be the LULZ of the nation.

Then you enter November against Graham Harrell, QB of Taco Tekk. If you haven't removed yourself from the rock you've been sleeping under, Tech's offense is nothing but passing, resulting 5,000 yards per game... or season. I'm not sure which. You will be lit up... or at least have sand in your eyes from Lubbock west saxet winds.

Then you face the next Vince Young, QB of Baylor. He is simply the next Vince Young, no need to mention his real name. That says enough. You lose, good day sir.

Should you not be begging for QB mercy by then, Nov. 15 you face Orange Bowl champion Todd Reesing, QB of Kansas. Your utmost fear should be Mark Mangino, however, as he will eat the refs if they allow another money money dolla dolla exchange for Big 12 BCS-ness at the expense of KU again. Thus, you are doomed. Phail.

Finally, you meet the aggiest of them all in Stephen... wait, he's injured. Jerrod Johnson might threaten you a little, I guess... but of utmost concern should be what the WRECKING CREWWWWW!!!1! does to Colt McCoy... or as little sister school calls him, Cart McCry (oh, that is so clever! oh, that is so funny! let's cheer at him as he gets late hit and hiss should it get flagged! aaaaaaaa... whoop whoop!)

So anyways, that is the rest of the season. It kind of looks scary when I lay it all out like that, eh?

UTgolfer
10/14/2008, 04:55 PM
I don't see the shame in overachieving. Even Mack Brown made a big point after the game about the spirit and cohesion of your team - as opposed to other teams he's had where there were a ton of individual stars.

No shame in overachieving...but the inference here is that OU lost to an inferior team. The use of the word overachieved (actually overachieve) was in the first post on this thread when referring to the nations view of UT. In my opinion that is simply incorrect.

Love the chemistry on this team and the true lack of stars. Will admit that I was a huge Chris Sims fan when he got to Austin but Mack coddled him and...well...we all see how that has turned out.

Oldnslo
10/14/2008, 04:56 PM
We know well what happens when there are injuries...and we suffered through our fair share last year along the offensive line. And Colt's play suffered and he got beat to hell for sure. Its definitely a team game.

One of the glaring issues I had with the game is alluded to above. That is, Colt's play. Don't get me wrong: d00d had a whale of a game. But, his jersey was waaaay to clean at the end of it.

Once upon a time, on any running play, the qb got dusted. You can't rough the passer, but you can sure beat the hell out of a blocker. Or someone who should be/might be blocking. At the end of the game, the qb should need to be the first into the ice.

We didn't hit him near enough.

UTgolfer
10/14/2008, 05:00 PM
<sigh> Why I am responding to you when I'm already tormented by my forced avatar and sig... ehhhh...

Next week you face Chase Daniel, QB of Misery. If you haven't figured it out by now, he is roided and roid rage is cause for concern for more than pro wrestling fans.

The week after you face Zac Robinson, QB of Pokie State. If you haven't gotten the memo, Zac was second only to Tebow last season in OMG STATZ!!1! and thus, your defense will be the LULZ of the nation.

Then you enter November against Graham Harrell, QB of Taco Tekk. If you haven't removed yourself from the rock you've been sleeping under, Tech's offense is nothing but passing, resulting 5,000 yards per game... or season. I'm not sure which. You will be lit up... or at least have sand in your eyes from Lubbock west saxet winds.

Then you face the next Vince Young, QB of Baylor. He is simply the next Vince Young, no need to mention his real name. That says enough. You lose, good day sir.

Should you not be begging for QB mercy by then, Nov. 15 you face Orange Bowl champion Todd Reesing, QB of Kansas. Your utmost fear should be Mark Mangino, however, as he will eat the refs if they allow another money money dolla dolla exchange for Big 12 BCS-ness at the expense of KU again. Thus, you are doomed. Phail.

Finally, you meet the aggiest of them all in Stephen... wait, he's injured. Jerrod Johnson might threaten you a little, I guess... but of utmost concern should be what the WRECKING CREWWWWW!!!1! does to Colt McCoy... or as little sister school calls him, Cart McCry (oh, that is so clever! oh, that is so funny! let's cheer at him as he gets late hit and hiss should it get flagged! aaaaaaaa... whoop whoop!)

So anyways, that is the rest of the season. It kind of looks scary when I lay it all out like that, eh?

Not worried as much as you are!

We will do to them what we did to OU...stop the run and force them to be one dimensional then outscore them. If OU's defense didn't stop us then none of them will.

And keep responding...only a matter of time before you refer to me as Lid's little pesky step brother again.

Sooner13
10/14/2008, 05:10 PM

We will do to them what we did to OU...stop the run and force them to be one dimensional then outscore them. If OU's defense didn't stop us then none of them will.

And keep responding...only a matter of time before you refer to me as Lid's little pesky step brother again.

I was thinking more along the lines of Lid's little ********* step brother :texan:

TexasEx4OU
10/14/2008, 05:11 PM
So we now take history into account when considering single-game performances? I'd say that he has a pretty good record recently doesn't he? Guess our defense overachieved too? Especially since Mushchamp has a terrible history in this series. And given his terrible reputation overall, right? How can we leave out special teams play? Lets not forget to throw Mack and his track record out there too, right?

Point is...both teams played well. UT has been on the receiving end of several great performances by OU in recent years. Simply pointing out that it would be far more gracious to simply give a little credit where it is due.

I did give credit to the Shipley move, which was borderline brilliant...that enough credit for you? I launched my comments with an "if" relating to the topic being about the offense (OK...the "if" came after "Well,...", but you get my drift), so Muschamp and his non-existent "history" in the series was not part of my semi-tongue-in-cheek point (oh...and here's your ;) ). And in case you missed it, I was referring to Davis', and I'll go ahead and quote myself, "...history in the RRS...". To deny that he has been less than stellar over the course of his participation in this series, recent years aside, would be myopic. And '05 doesn't count...we sucked. And '06 doesn't count either, as I don't equate a philosophy of letting VY "do his thing" to a gameplan that moves Shipley to TE the week before the game when it comes to strategic excellence. And in that regard, Davis overachieved. JMHO.

picasso
10/14/2008, 05:25 PM

did he say we got a mulligan?

UTgolfer
10/14/2008, 05:25 PM
I did give credit to the Shipley move, which was borderline brilliant...that enough credit for you? I launched my comments with an "if" relating to the topic being about the offense (OK...the "if" came after "Well,...", but you get my drift), so Muschamp and his non-existent "history" in the series was not part of my semi-tongue-in-cheek point (oh...and here's your ;) ). And in case you missed it, I was referring to Davis', and I'll go ahead and quote myself, "...history in the RRS...". To deny that he has been less than stellar over the course of his participation in this series, recent years aside, would be myopic. And '05 doesn't count...we sucked. And '06 doesn't count either, as I don't equate a philosophy of letting VY "do his thing" to a gameplan that moves Shipley to TE the week before the game when it comes to strategic excellence. And in that regard, Davis overachieved. JMHO.

In your opinion he overachieved...in my opinion no. Just disagree. But to say '05 doesn't count because "we sucked" and '06 doesn't because of allowing "VY to do his thing"? Your timeline is wrong...VY's last game was in '05 and McCoy won as a freshman in '06. So Davis came up with a gameplan which allowed a freshman to beat OU...does he get any credit for that?

aurorasooner
10/14/2008, 06:02 PM
Just listening to the CFB analyst on the NFL channel. He said that the perception that we had a bunch of AA's and 1st round draft picks on the team was wrong. He said he watched the coach's tapes & Duke graded maybe a 2nd round pick and the rest of our OL maybe 3rd to 5th round. He also said he graded Nick Harris as a high 2nd rounder. My impression from listening to him and him talking about our running game vs Texas, was that our OL's stock was quickly falling because they couldn't run block and our running game was the suk. He also mentioned RR's injury and that we have petitioned for a Medical R-shirt for him. Of course, this is just one analyst but he sounded knowledgeable.

HopeSpringsEternal
10/14/2008, 06:13 PM
Me thinks y'all have crimson colored glasses.

+1

East Coast Bias
10/14/2008, 06:50 PM
I hate to say it but I think The aggies will be the ones to embarass Texas. They handled Mo easily on the road and present a defense that will stop Texas. I believe Texas will gash Missouri this weekend.Booger has lost his mojo..

sooner59
10/14/2008, 07:22 PM
OSU could be up by 50 at halftime in Austin and still lose.

westcoast_sooner
10/14/2008, 07:30 PM
OU's relatively small drop in the polls is because the voters are relying on Stoops' analysis of the relative strengths of this squad vs. previous ones? Are you serious? It has far more to do with the fact that OU played a good game on Saturday and had a "good" loss as opposed the "bad" losses for the teams behind it in the polls. Lastly, UT overachieved and OU self-destructed? Is it so hard for you to give UT a little credit for a good game plan?

Golfer - UT did play a good game on Saturday. After watching, I felt stunned, but knew that you guys had played one helluva game.

ratedrsuperstar
10/14/2008, 07:33 PM
"Most talented" does not equal "best team", that showed this past Saturday.

VA Sooner
10/14/2008, 07:40 PM
It is a fickle game. Look at Georgia... in the mix for the national title pre-season then loses their all-american left tackle before the first game. Gets trounced by Alabama and heading downwards. Last weekend, lost their backup left tackle and moving on to the third-string tackle.

USC riding high with "NFL caliber" talent... but the big boys got their skirts lifted when a little man "Quizz Rogers" runs past all of them and the big boys can't get their hands on them.

Mizzou with their high-flying offense (and getting way too much media hype for a team without defense) loses their all-american safety for a few games and tries to turn things around before they got taken apart by the Pokes.

It's part talent, part luck and sometimes a miracle or two to make a run for the National Championship. I don't mind losing if we lose with style... I never want to see an embarrassment like the 2004 Orange Bowl or the 2008 Fiesta Bowl... nightmares for months and depression until the next college football season starts.

UTgolfer
10/14/2008, 08:42 PM
Golfer - UT did play a good game on Saturday. After watching, I felt stunned, but knew that you guys had played one helluva game.

Thanks...wish I could take credit but I'm just a lowly fan. But I also know, as Maestro has pointed out, that OU was that close to winning. Only a play or two here could have resulted in a different outcome.

TexasEx4OU
10/14/2008, 08:48 PM
In your opinion he overachieved...in my opinion no. Just disagree. But to say '05 doesn't count because "we sucked" and '06 doesn't because of allowing "VY to do his thing"? Your timeline is wrong...VY's last game was in '05 and McCoy won as a freshman in '06. So Davis came up with a gameplan which allowed a freshman to beat OU...does he get any credit for that?

Well, crap. I hate it when I get my timelines wrong. But no...no credit for the '06 gameplan ;) .

UTgolfer
10/14/2008, 08:55 PM
Well, crap. I hate it when I get my timelines wrong. But no...no credit for the '06 gameplan ;) .

Thats what I thought! ;)

Rock Hard Corn Frog
10/14/2008, 09:25 PM
I know Barney Rubble (Barnett)can be an *** when he is in an oxygen environment but am I the only one that doesn't think he would be a good get as an assistant for a year or two until he get his next head coaching job? He did have Colo playing some pretty good football.

UTgolfer
10/14/2008, 09:30 PM
I know Barney Rubble (Barnett)can be an *** when he is in an oxygen environment but am I the only one that doesn't think he would be a good get as an assistant for a year or two until he get his next head coaching job? He did have Colo playing some pretty good football.

Yes

sooner518
10/14/2008, 09:55 PM

You really think A&M will be able to get a lick on Colt? I saw part of the KSU game from last weekend. I think Freeman scored 4 TD's running where he literally walked into the endzone. A&M is the absolute worst of the Big 12. They are tEhSuCk

FlatheadSooner
10/14/2008, 09:56 PM
It's part talent, part luck and sometimes a miracle or two to make a run for the National Championship. I don't mind losing if we lose with style... I never want to see an embarrassment like the 2004 Orange Bowl or the 2008 Fiesta Bowl... nightmares for months and depression until the next college football season starts.

Agree. My worst fear going into the UT game was a let down. Instead it was a pretty damn good game and OUr team played with heart. This is a positive sign and we at least have time to correct some of the mistakes. If Venables can shore up the MLB vacancy, and put OU in position to win out, he has earned his salary this year and the monkey is off his back. Of course we'll have to work on disipline to avoid stupid penalties and special teams needs shoring up big time.
:O :)

PDXsooner
10/14/2008, 10:16 PM
the reality is, there is no "#1 TEAM". it changes and shifts from week to week, as it's done in many recent years. next week it'll be someone new if texas loses. OU just has to re-focus and tighten up defensively and they'll be right back in the title hunt.

bluedogok
10/14/2008, 10:29 PM
the reality is, there is no "#1 TEAM". it changes and shifts from week to week, as it's done in many recent years. next week it'll be someone new if texas loses. OU just has to re-focus and tighten up defensively and they'll be right back in the title hunt.
I think that is a lot of it, everyone (especially the media) expects and wants a dominate #1 that they can point to as "the top dog" just like there always was in years past. Those teams just don't exist in this age of parity (or "parody" as some see it). They pump someone up every week as the GREATEST TEAM EVER only to see them get beat and it seems they don't know how to handle it.

EVERY team has flaws and I think the days of an undefeated champion will be a rare. The sheer number of good to great players through exponential population growth, the 85/25 rule and the fact that almost everyone gets on TV has contributed to the talent being spread around more than the days of when Switzer, Osbourne, Royal and others could stockpile players to keep them away from other teams.

PDXsooner
10/14/2008, 10:30 PM
additional thought: a lot of this crazy talk is the reason i now (after years of holding out) support a playoff. TOO MUCH OVERANALYZING OF EVERY SINGLE GAME. sometimes crappier teams win games. sometimes good teams play poorly. it's part of sports.

sometimes the clippers beat the lakers. sometimes the dolphins beat the patriots. sometimes the blue jays beat the red sox. it happens. but we know the good teams will advance in the playoffs, so we don't try to extrapolate 900 reasons why team A beat team B. it just happens.

when the bills beat the cowboys, we don't go on and on and on about how the AFC East must be superior to the NFC East. **** happens. yet, in college football if kansas state beats arkansas, we'll go on and on about how it must mean the big 12 is better than the SEC. it doesn't.

bottom line, texas was better than OU for a 3-hour stretch on saturday afternoon. fortunately, texas will have to pass a lot more tests if they want to ba a champion, and OU will have plenty of time to overcome this loss. no, the defense isn't falling apart. no, there's not a fundamental problem with stoops' psyche. we just lost. move on.

PDXsooner
10/14/2008, 10:32 PM
I think that is a lot of it, everyone (especially the media) expects and wants a dominate #1 that they can point to as "the top dog" just like there always was in years past. Those teams just don't exist in this age of parity (or "parody" as some see it). They pump someone up every week as the GREATEST TEAM EVER only to see them get beat and it seems they don't know how to handle it.

EVERY team has flaws and I think the days of an undefeated champion will be a rare. The sheer number of good to great players through exponential population growth, the 85/25 rule and the fact that almost everyone gets on TV has contributed to the talent being spread around more than the days of when Switzer, Osbourne, Royal and others could stockpile players to keep them away from other teams.

good point. just look at all the close calls some of the recent national champions have had. we like to exaggerate the "it" quality of some of these teams as "they just found a way to win", but sometimes the ball takes a funny bounce into your hands, and you really had nothing to do with it.

OU_Sooners75
10/15/2008, 02:29 AM

Not all those games you all have remaining mean as much as the RRSO to the Texas players either.

It is easy for Texas to get up for OU. A lot more so than getting up for Missouri after beating then #1 and being #1 yourself.

24 years has passed since the last time Texass has had a #1 ranking in the regular season.

Question is, how well will they handle it? Every single #1 thusfar has fallen!

Jacie
10/15/2008, 06:16 AM
Not replying to anyone in particular here . . .

Please respond to the Texas poster's w/o insulting them unless they start something.

Actually, OUr team looked pretty good for that 1st quarter. Had Colt running backwards and making crucial mistakes. Too their credit, he calmed down and took over the game.

Can anyone left on the Texas schedule beat the horns? Maybe misery for reasons already noted above. Aggies have a history of getting up in the first half and folding in the second so count them out. Sand aggies haven't beaten anyone decent yet but will probably be their usual selves and get killed. The cult will yell as always but I think this year they are in danger of 77-0 becoming their second worst loss.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
10/15/2008, 07:00 AM
Yes

Apparently so.:D

UTgolfer
10/15/2008, 09:32 AM
Not all those games you all have remaining mean as much as the RRSO to the Texas players either.

It is easy for Texas to get up for OU. A lot more so than getting up for Missouri after beating then #1 and being #1 yourself.

24 years has passed since the last time Texass has had a #1 ranking in the regular season.

Question is, how well will they handle it? Every single #1 thusfar has fallen!

I will disagree with a couple of your points and here is why:

With the exception of Cosby, there aren't any players on the roster who were born 24 years ago so that point is irrelevant. Plus plenty of staff/coaches from '05 when we were #2 all year so they know how to handle the spotlight.

I agree that getting up for OU should never be a problem. However, and maybe this is the opinion of a fan and not a player, but didn't expect us to win on Saturday. In fact, many of my fellow UT fans were simply hoping for something less than a complete embarassement. But having proven that we could win, I think there is a renewed sense of confidence, but not arrogance, that will serve this team well. Kind of like in 2000 when that OU squad came out of obscurity to win the NC.

To your point about handling it, agreed that is very much the key. And for the record, do not think we will go undefeated. But I'm hoping that the players have a different opinion.

KingBarry
10/15/2008, 04:51 PM

Calm down. It doesn't matter what we here on this board give to Texas. The poster is referring to the opinion of the voters. Basically, he and the rest of us are looking for an explanation as to why we are ranked number four.

I can't see it myself, and I know some others as well are trying to figure it out.

Basically, putting us where we are leaves us in excellent position to get back to the BCS Championship if we win out, and I can't explain our good fortune.

JLEW1818
10/15/2008, 04:53 PM
We have more talent then Texas. Dunno bout the rest.

UTgolfer
10/15/2008, 07:55 PM
Calm down. It doesn't matter what we here on this board give to Texas. The poster is referring to the opinion of the voters. Basically, he and the rest of us are looking for an explanation as to why we are ranked number four.

I can't see it myself, and I know some others as well are trying to figure it out.

Basically, putting us where we are leaves us in excellent position to get back to the BCS Championship if we win out, and I can't explain our good fortune.

A technical point only....I would suggest that you are ranked 5th...the average of your #6 and #4 rankings in the Coaches and Harris polls, respectively. I think your current ranking is reflective of the fact that you had a "good" loss as opposed to SUC, UGA, Missouri. OU has an excellent chance of getting into the BCS Championship but only if the teams above you lose and lose in the right games.

PDXsooner
10/15/2008, 08:02 PM
A technical point only....I would suggest that you are ranked 5th...the average of your #6 and #4 rankings in the Coaches and Harris polls, respectively. I think your current ranking is reflective of the fact that you had a "good" loss as opposed to SUC, UGA, Missouri. OU has an excellent chance of getting into the BCS Championship but only if the teams above you lose and lose in the right games.

oh, you'll lose. i'm not worried about that at all. it's whether we can stay undefeated -- that's the question.

Crimson Kid
10/15/2008, 08:06 PM

LMAO!! That's what i was thinking. he's just trying to hired lol.