PDA

View Full Version : Stoops Press Conference

GoSoonersGo
10/14/2008, 01:53 PM
Did anyone here it, and if so did he say anything that was of any importance, or was it the typical coach responses....

JLEW1818
10/14/2008, 01:56 PM
Should be up a little later today.

SbOrOiNaEnR
10/14/2008, 02:23 PM
http://www.newsok.com/stoops-addresses-saturdays-loss/article/3311170/?custom_click=lead_story_title

Stoops addresses Saturday's loss to Texas

NORMAN — In, by far, his longest press conference of the season, Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops was asked Tuesday why he didn’t play other middle linebackers in the second half after Texas began moving the ball at will following starter Ryan Reynolds’ injury.

“It’s our determination to say that this guy doesn’t know what he’s doing, doesn’t know what his key is, doesn’t know where to line up,” said Stoops, who played Brandon Crow in place of Reynolds. With Crow in the lineup, Texas scored on its final four drives to rally to a 45-35 victory.

“We’re going to go with the guy we think is the best to get the best job done. We see them in practice. You guys act like we don’t see them in practice. We watch them every day. If a guy is unable to do it practice, what makes you think he’s going to be able to do it in a game?”

This week, Austin Box and Mike Balogun are working with Crow at middle linebacker.

Here were some of the other major talking points from Tuesday’s press conference:

On Texas dominating time of possession being irrelevant:

“I believe it is. It isn’t irrelevant if we’re not producing points. If we’re going three-and-out, it’s a problem. If you’re scoring, then it’s not. That’s people looking to make something out of nothing.”

Thoughts on the run defense:

“It isn’t like we were busting things, giving up big plays. I felt for the most part two runs hurt us. The rest of the day, other than Colt McCoy scrambling, the run defense was pretty solid.”

On the kickoff return coverage team:

“It’s terribly inconsistent and aggravating. We’ve put a lot of time into it. We haven’t been able to get it done. We’ve got to get the right guys in there. They’ve got to make plays. We can’t make plays for them.”

On Kansas coach Mark Mangino:

“Mark has more than anything, a great work ethic. A great discipline. A passion to coach, to do well. Mark has a lot of great qualities.”

On Mangino’s contribution as OU’s offensive coordinator:

“We had a little more diversity in some of the runs and the way we ran the football. That was probably the biggest difference.”

On Kansas QB Todd Reesing:

“He does a great job. The guy makes a ton of plays. He’s accurate when he throws the ball.”

On when it’s the coaches’ fault vs. the players’ fault:

“If we’re putting them in a bad position, the coaches and myself. If they’re factors and you don’t play, then players have to be accountable. There’s always a little bit of both, though.”

And...

http://www.newsok.com/stoops-reflects-on-loss-to-ut/article/3310823

Stoops reflects on loss to UT

Breaking down the film, Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops said there were “a bunch of plays” that could have made a difference in the outcome last Saturday in the Cotton Bowl.

Stoops said during the weekly Big 12 coaches teleconference that big plays that had an impact in a 45-35 loss to Texas ranged from missing a block that resulted in coming up one foot short on a fake punt to dropping an interception in the end zone.

He also credited the Longhorns for a long fourth touchdown quarter run that “broke our back” and Texas quarterback Colt McCoy’s scrambles that kept drives alive.

“His ability to run with the ball was a major factor, pulling it down and getting something when nothing’s there,” Stoops said. “To me, that was a big factor this year that maybe wasn’t there as much a year ago.”

On Lamont Robinson’s potential interception in the end zone, a play that allowed Texas to kick a field goal and take the lead, Stoops said officials made the correct call.

“Everybody makes a big deal about it and I’ll turn it into our officials,” Stoops said. “But in the end falling on the ground is part of it. You have to come up with the football.

“It’s the same thing with receivers. If they get a foot in bounds and roll 10 feet out of bounds, you see the official they want to see if he came up with the ball or not. The ground can cause an incompletion. It can’t cause a fumble.”

As for as what changes OU will make at linebacker following Ryan Reynolds season-ending knee injury, Stoops reiterated the coaching staff is still evaluating all its options and “will move some guys around.”

Kansas coach Mark Mangino, a former assistant at OU, said he doesn’t expect the Sooners to suffer from a hangover following the loss to Texas.

“They’re not a program that’s based on emotion,” Mangino said. “They are workman-like. They come out and play well every week. You’re not going to see anything different from them. They’re going to be ready to play. They have great pride.

“We kind of think the same way they do there. We share this belief — you can’t change history. You can only take care of what’s going on today. The challenge is for today. I look for them to be ready to play.”

Asked if Texas showed other teams the magic formula to defeating the Sooners, Mangino said the key was the Longhorns added some offensive wrinkles and executed well.

“(Texas) was well coached and had a good plan,” Mangino said. “I wouldn’t say there was anything magical. It’s called execution. It’s called making plays. There’s nothing there you would see that’s new to us... other than Texas put in a lot of things on offense we had not seen all year. It was a little unusual after seeing Texas through the years.”

JLEW1818
10/14/2008, 03:47 PM
http://www.cstv.com/allaccess/player/07-oas-mediaplayer-okla.html?content=mms://a1981.v8108e.c8108.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1981/8108/v0001/cstvcbs.download.akamai.com/8108/open/okla/08-09/video/m-footbl/10oct/20081014_stoops_presser.wmv&school=okla&

Stoops press conference

VA Sooner
10/14/2008, 08:50 PM
Well said, Stoops... and Mangino.

Back to work... fix the defense, let's move on. There's a lot more football to play.

sooner59
10/14/2008, 09:50 PM
I have a feeling that we are going to go off on Kansas after this fiasco. I honestly believe that we cover the 19 point spread. After this game, I bet our boys are breathing fire. I can not see Kansas hanging with us at home this week.

JLEW1818
10/14/2008, 10:37 PM
I can see it happening. I think our D will be playing with a chip on their shoulders.

HopeSpringsEternal
10/15/2008, 04:00 AM
How many times in the past has the defense talked about playing with a chip on its shoulder only to be mugged for 40 or 50 points? I'm not drinking the Kool-Aid anymore. As long as BV is in town all bets are off. It wouldn't surprise me to see another shootout from a scrappy Kansas team.

OU_Sooners75
10/15/2008, 05:00 AM
Well said, Stoops... and Mangino.

Back to work... fix the defense, let's move on. There's a lot more football to play.

Let's hope Stoops has more of a hand in the fixing!

Widescreen
10/15/2008, 08:32 AM
“We had a little more diversity in some of the runs and the way we ran the football. That was probably the biggest difference.”

Sounds like a slam on our current running game coaching.

StoopTroup
10/15/2008, 08:36 AM
How many times in the past has the defense talked about playing with a chip on its shoulder only to be mugged for 40 or 50 points? I'm not drinking the Kool-Aid anymore. As long as BV is in town all bets are off. It wouldn't surprise me to see another shootout from a scrappy Kansas team.

Your right...

We're screwed. :rolleyes:

You got any tickets your giving away?

bonkuba
10/15/2008, 09:33 AM

You have a good point.....however, I will still support my Sooners no matter what. I am not saying you don't (seriously).....just that some of the sarcasm on this board gets old really quick. Sometimes even great teams play poorly. I believe Bob knows the D wasn't at its best (obviously).......he will get it fixed. I have faith in him.

Anyway.......BOOMER SOONER!!!:D :D

A-M
10/15/2008, 10:08 AM
I want to see us win and win big every week! However, until we improve in 3 areas, we are going to have some really tough games ahead of us. These 3 areas are
1. running game
2. kickoff game
3. Defense
A team like Kansas can be a problem for us with these 3 areas not working as well as they need to be working. Hope Bob is able to make some improvements on them before Saturday.

TheUnnamedSooner
10/15/2008, 10:22 AM
Texas put in a lot of things on offense we had not seen all year. It was a little unusual after seeing Texas through the years.

:D

Scott D
10/15/2008, 11:01 AM
Sounds like a slam on our current running game coaching.

or on the current offensive coordinator whom it seems fans who were so excited about less than 3 years ago about are also throwing under the bus.

MamaMia
10/15/2008, 12:11 PM
The one or two little mishaps excuse for why we're losing the big games is getting old. Major changes need to made.

Big Red Ron
10/15/2008, 12:18 PM
Hate to say it again but Chris Wilson is dead weight. He's our special teams coach and we have the 109th ranked kick off defense. I say, off with his head.

StoopTroup
10/15/2008, 12:21 PM
Hate to say it again but Chris Wilson is dead weight. He's our special teams coach and we have the 109th ranked kick off defense. I say, off with his head.

If I was going to agree that we need a Coaching change right now...

That would be the one.

Good call BRR!

JLEW1818
10/15/2008, 01:09 PM
This decade we are undefeated playing the week after Texas.

StoopTroup
10/15/2008, 01:10 PM
...and Mangino knows it.

JLEW1818
10/15/2008, 01:12 PM
If we lose Saturday at home, it will be because our defense gave up 40 points or more. Agree?

TheUnnamedSooner
10/15/2008, 01:23 PM
If we lose Saturday at home, it will be because our defense gave up 40 points or more. Agree?

Depends on how much our offense scores.

Widescreen
10/15/2008, 01:35 PM
The most KU has scored in a game so far is 40 against FIU.

PhiDeltBeers
10/15/2008, 02:02 PM
Fire BV!
Fire KW!
Fire anyone that has anything to do with Special teams!

Get there a**s outa here. If We don't win 100-0...I'm p*ssed!

PhiDeltBeers
10/15/2008, 02:04 PM
I just really think we need to get Jarboe some playing time. He's the key to our success.

CK Sooner
10/15/2008, 02:05 PM
I just really think we need to get Jarboe some playing time. He's the key to our success.

:rolleyes:

MojoRisen
10/15/2008, 02:22 PM
Kansas only scored 40 once? I feel better about that.... They will come to play so we better be on our A game. We have the potential to jump on them but Kansas can score in bunches from what I have seen.

PLaw
10/15/2008, 02:26 PM
On Texas dominating time of possession being irrelevant:

“I believe it is. It isn’t irrelevant if we’re not producing points. If we’re going three-and-out, it’s a problem. If you’re scoring, then it’s not. That’s people looking to make something out of nothing.”

==================================

Something to consider, texass ran 70 plays and OU ran 67 plays. Regardless of the TOP, the defenses played roughly the same number of snaps.

BOOMER

KingBarry
10/15/2008, 02:27 PM
Kansas only scored 40 once? I feel better about that.... They will come to play so we better be on our A game. We have the potential to jump on them but Kansas can score in bunches from what I have seen.

This year's Jayhawks don't seem to be the juggernaught they were in 2007. Not sure why, just my observation.

We should beat them in Norman, so I am not much concerned with them now.

Tech and OSU scare the bejesus out of me.

PLaw
10/15/2008, 02:28 PM
Fire BV!
Fire KW!
Fire anyone that has anything to do with Special teams!

Get there a**s outa here. If We don't win 100-0...I'm p*ssed!

Man, do you need an intervention? You might try some of that non-alcholol brew. I can get the local AA number for you.

PhiDeltBeers
10/15/2008, 03:47 PM
Man, do you need an intervention? You might try some of that non-alcholol brew. I can get the local AA number for you.

If you think thats bad, you should've seen me after that second late hit call. The dogs ran out of the room. Now about that number......

HopeSpringsEternal
10/15/2008, 04:03 PM
Your right...

We're screwed. :rolleyes:

You got any tickets your giving away?

If I did my good man, you'd be the first person I called. When Kansas scores 42 points in Norman while Harris does more ballerina twirls and Vulnerables throws another player under the bus for his ineptitude will we still be so sarcastic?:rolleyes:

Widescreen
10/15/2008, 04:24 PM
When Kansas scores 42 points in Norman while Harris does more ballerina twirls and Vulnerables throws another player under the bus for his ineptitude will we still be so sarcastic?:rolleyes:

Depends. Will we still be so pretentious?

HopeSpringsEternal
10/16/2008, 12:52 PM
Depends. Will we still be so pretentious?

After what we saw last Saturday, I would hardly call anything I said pretentious. I'm sure it's a nice salve for your weary rose colored brain to believe that though. Keep going back to your happy place.

Widescreen
10/16/2008, 01:51 PM
It's not what you said. It's how you said it. Who refers to someone as "we"?

LesNessman
10/16/2008, 02:34 PM
I would like to see at least one game where OU holds the opposing team to no kickoff returns longer than say 20-25 yards.

BoulderSooner79
10/16/2008, 02:48 PM
I would like to see at least one game where OU holds the opposing team to no kickoff returns longer than say 20-25 yards.

I'd like to see that as well. But as long as we kick-off a bunch more times than the opposition, I'm okay with it :D

JLEW1818
10/16/2008, 02:51 PM
Stoop on FSN right now

CK Sooner
10/16/2008, 02:51 PM
Stoop on FSN right now

What did he say?

BoulderSooner79
10/16/2008, 02:56 PM
It was in coach speak - I'll have to wait for the translation.

JLEW1818
10/16/2008, 02:57 PM
Basically same stuff as in interview