PDA

View Full Version : in defense of venerables.

adoniijahsooner
10/14/2008, 11:18 AM
everyone says that bv or stoops should fix the defense; and that we should have adjusted when texas was carving up the middle. what would you football intellectuals had done to save the day, and put an end to colt and co? :pop:

mOUse
10/14/2008, 11:29 AM
Something the DC didn't do: Make a change!

Dan Thompson
10/14/2008, 11:30 AM
Just like to offense has pulling guards and tackles, I would have our DE 'pull' and come into the line as 'dual nose guards'. That would have fixed everything.

achiro
10/14/2008, 11:37 AM
How about making some adjustments after it happened 3 years ago? 2 years ago? Last year? 2 weeks ago? Last week? I want to see a reciever go across the middle and get a helmet in the mouth for thinking about trying to catch a ball there instead of what we have, which is soft coverage that lets the guy catch the ball, then step in and tackle him. Wat about the catch(cosby I think) in the endzone when it bounced in the air, nobody was close enough to bat it down or hit him???? I can't remember the last time OUr DB's knocked the **** out of a receiver as they were going up for a ball???

soonerpike697
10/14/2008, 11:38 AM
everyone says that bv or stoops should fix the defense; and that we should have adjusted when texas was carving up the middle. what would you football intellectuals had done to save the day, and put an end to colt and co? :pop:

I don't get paid millions to make these decisions but it looked like maybe a little more presence in the middle could have helped, but it just feels like every year our defense does this they have a game where they have absolutely no answer and it's just really frustrating. I feel like we shouldn't be caught this bad off guard like this...

CaliBornSoonerBred
10/14/2008, 11:39 AM
I would have slid a safety down to help and make them beat us with the long ball. Brilliant call by Davis to line Shipley and Cosby up in the slot but why couldn't our D have adjusted and switched up coverages???? Leave Franks or Jackson one on one with one of the lesser texass receivers and allow Holmes or preferably Harris to slide down and help make the zone in the middle of the field tighter. This would have prevented the big play to Shipley on 3rd and 8 and may have saved us on the goal line td as well. Our coaches lost this game by not making adjustments.
While I'm on this tangent, what in the world was going on with our run calls?! they were constantly bringing pressure from the backers and safeties so why couldn't we call a stretch run or a toss to get away from the pressure and get Brown or Madu into space. I love Murray as much as the next guy but Brown has been the best back we've had this year. Give him more touches please! And Madu seems to have more of a burst through the hole than Murray does right now so give him more touches! Line Murray up in the slot some and try some new schemes with Brown/Murray or Madu/Murray in the game at the same time. Just a few thoughts.

soonerpike697
10/14/2008, 11:40 AM
How about making some adjustments after it happened 3 years ago? 2 years ago? Last year? 2 weeks ago? Last week? I want to see a reciever go across the middle and get a helmet in the mouth for thinking about trying to catch a ball there instead of what we have, which is soft coverage that lets the guy catch the ball, then step in and tackle him. Wat about the catch(cosby I think) in the endzone when it bounced in the air, nobody was close enough to bat it down or hit him???? I can't remember the last time OUr DB's knocked the **** out of a receiver as they were going up for a ball???

Valid point, the coverage doesn't **** receiver's worlds like they used too...

HappyClappyMackBrown
10/14/2008, 11:41 AM
I don't get paid millions to make these decisions but it looked like maybe a little more presence in the middle could have helped, but it just feels like every year our defense does this they have a game where they have absolutely no answer and it's just really frustrating. I feel like we shouldn't be caught this bad off guard like this...

You would think that patrick. Get back to work ya lazy *** slacker.

Looking back I really wish Venerables would have gotten the University of Minnesota job.

The Maestro
10/14/2008, 11:46 AM
Read more posts.

YWIA.

soonerpike697
10/14/2008, 11:47 AM
You would think that patrick. Get back to work ya lazy *** slacker.

Looking back I really wish Venerables would have gotten the University of Minnesota job.

Maybe Mike stoops will get a Big X job after Arizona is done with him...

oumartin
10/14/2008, 11:48 AM
Venables helped rebuild this program so I dont' wish him away all that much. What I wish for is a new Co-Defensive Coordinator. Someone to come in with some fresh ideas. Someone who can coach a secondary and come up with something other than a complex Zone defense that we run. I wanna check receivers at the line of scrimmage and I wanna stop blitzing strictly up the middle while watching a mobile qb role outside the pocket and go for 30 yards or find a wide open receiver sitting in a space in zone coverage.

TexasLidig8r
10/14/2008, 11:49 AM
Spell his name correctly?

HappyClappyMackBrown
10/14/2008, 11:50 AM
Maybe Mike stoops will get a Big X job after Arizona is done with him...
Mike Stoops would love the hotties in the big ten. Im sure by now hes had his fill of Arizona co-eds.
Personally, I would trade the bald eagle (Brad Childress) for Mike Stoops in a heart beat. The Vikings could use a womanizer as there coach after suffering through the impotent bald eagle's "kick *** offense"

swardboy
10/14/2008, 11:50 AM
Put SoonerFans.Com stickers on the players helmets....real close to their brains ya know.

HappyClappyMackBrown
10/14/2008, 11:51 AM
I think Todd Dodge should be offered the O. Coordinator position.

soonerpike697
10/14/2008, 11:59 AM
I think Todd Dodge should be offered the O. Coordinator position.

To quote some piece of trash OU fan, (you know the kind who love the school but have never seen a classroom): "THAT TODD DODGE IS A PIECE OF **** MAN!"

TUSooner
10/14/2008, 12:01 PM
Defensive maxim #37:
The problem with zone coverage is that no zone ever caught a pass.

You see it in every game, pros & college: A linebacker drops into a zone, and then watches the receiver run right by to catch the pass. I don't know nuthin' 'bout no football coachin', so correct me if I'm wrong: When a receiver enters your zone, aren't you supposed to stop covering the zone and start covering the receiver?
TIA for your intelligent and insightful answers!

HappyClappyMackBrown
10/14/2008, 12:04 PM
To quote some piece of trash OU fan, (you know the kind who love the school but have never seen a classroom): "THAT TODD DODGE IS A PIECE OF **** MAN!"
Tood dodge is a great, great man.
He's master of the spread offense, defender of undefeated seasons. Teacher of Hesiman Hopefull and booger eating MVP Chase Daniel. Also he taught G. Hartley how to kick a 83 yard field goal. If Dodge was calling the plays Saturday we would have beat Texas 114-45.

HappyClappyMackBrown
10/14/2008, 12:10 PM
Regardless of who are D- Coordinator is going forward...we could use a few like this on our D-Line....

http://battleyourtailoff.com/wiki/images/b/b9/Brewer.jpg

soonerpike697
10/14/2008, 12:15 PM
Regardless of who are D- Coordinator is going forward...we could use a few like this on our D-Line....

http://battleyourtailoff.com/wiki/images/b/b9/Brewer.jpg

I still can't believe Charles slept with that girl, that is unforgiveable...

HappyClappyMackBrown
10/14/2008, 12:19 PM
On two separate occasions!!

sorry for hijacking the thread temporarily.

CaliBornSoonerBred
10/14/2008, 12:40 PM
Tood dodge is a great, great man.
He's master of the spread offense, defender of undefeated seasons. Teacher of Hesiman Hopefull and booger eating MVP Chase Daniel. Also he taught G. Hartley how to kick a 83 yard field goal. If Dodge was calling the plays Saturday we would have beat Texas 114-45.

Lack of a running game was a contributing factor to the loss so we need even less of a running game? No way, I say we go back to the wishbone before we spread it out and let it fly every play. How many spread offenses win championships? NONE because they have no running game and keep the D on the field too long. That's what made our spread so unique(well the first 5 games) was the ability to go smash mouth then spread it out and air it out.

oumartin
10/14/2008, 01:00 PM
you can win a championship with the spread. what hurts OU is the hard headed people that refuse to see that running into a stacked line will get you nowhere. Not finding the weakness of the defense and exploiting it. being too stubborn to admit that your run blocking sucks and trying to fix it. not running mis direction because you feel you are good enough to run it up the middle time and time again. When your only trick play is running a reverse and having the punter run with the football. When half heartedly admitting that your kickoff coverage sucks and being defensive when someone asks you about it in a press conference.

We all love Bob but something is amiss.

CaliBornSoonerBred
10/14/2008, 01:17 PM
you can win a championship with the spread. what hurts OU is the hard headed people that refuse to see that running into a stacked line will get you nowhere. Not finding the weakness of the defense and exploiting it. being too stubborn to admit that your run blocking sucks and trying to fix it. not running mis direction because you feel you are good enough to run it up the middle time and time again. When your only trick play is running a reverse and having the punter run with the football. When half heartedly admitting that your kickoff coverage sucks and being defensive when someone asks you about it in a press conference.

We all love Bob but something is amiss.

I completely agree that we need to find the weakness of a defense and exploit it. The point on running into a stacked line: I said earlier in the thread that our problem against texass was not utilizing the toss and stretch play so I agree again. BUT, our D looked real tired in the 4th quarter because they hadn't had to play more than 3 quarters all year(or was it poor conditioning?). We need to be more open minded on offense as well as on defense with adjustments made throughout the game, that's our problem right now. Horrendous play calling on both sides of the ball can't help us out much either.

TahoeSOONER
10/14/2008, 01:22 PM
THERE WAS NO TIGHT END THREAT! Tell the defensive ends to contain on the roll out, DON'T LET COLT OUTSIDE OF YOU, and get out of that zone defense. Man up on the corners, corners were fine IMHO, and tell the safeties, maybe the strong one, to kill anyone over the middle. I'm all for intimadation over the middle. LBs, kill anything under 5 yards over the middle and get depth. Safties, don't let ANYONE behind you but for goodness sakes sloober knock the livin chit out of someone. If we can take three offsides penalties in a row then we can take a personal foul over the middle once or twice. Holmes and Harris can bring it but Crosby and Shipley were almost more physical, see youtube Crosby hit.

This defense is talented but OUr secondary plays soft at times. Harris and Holmes need to show some leadership and HIT SOMEONE ALREADY.

BOOMER!

HopeSpringsEternal
10/14/2008, 01:28 PM
I completely agree that we need to find the weakness of a defense and exploit it. The point on running into a stacked line: I said earlier in the thread that our problem against texass was not utilizing the toss and stretch play so I agree again. BUT, our D looked real tired in the 4th quarter because they hadn't had to play more than 3 quarters all year(or was it poor conditioning?). We need to be more open minded on offense as well as on defense with adjustments made throughout the game, that's our problem right now. Horrendous play calling on both sides of the ball can't help us out much either.

If by tired you mean confused and undisciplined then yes they were exhausted.

KRYPTON
10/14/2008, 01:30 PM
blitz.

StoopTroup
10/14/2008, 01:33 PM
I still think they may be over-Coaching Sam.

Let the guy run the Offense.

Toss him a play and let him loose.

OUt score your opponent.

Then maybe the defense won't be such an issue.

JLEW1818
10/14/2008, 01:49 PM
Dang my girl got on there.

CK Sooner
10/14/2008, 01:49 PM
Dang my girl got on there.

:D

soonerx
10/14/2008, 01:56 PM
Spell his name correctly?

Venerable [ven-er-uh-buhl]
1. commanding respect because of great age or impressive dignity; worthy of veneration or reverence, as because of high office or noble character: a venerable member of Congress.

Hmm, I'm going with Vulnerables.

JLEW1818
10/14/2008, 02:05 PM
Adam Jones suspended 4 games minimum

CK Sooner
10/14/2008, 02:06 PM
Adam Jones suspended 4 games minimum

Huh?

JLEW1818
10/14/2008, 02:07 PM
"pac man "

CK Sooner
10/14/2008, 02:08 PM
"pac man "

I know, it was just random.

:D

JLEW1818
10/14/2008, 02:11 PM
yep just seen the breaking news.

TexasLidig8r
10/14/2008, 02:16 PM
THERE WAS NO TIGHT END THREAT! Tell the defensive ends to contain on the roll out, DON'T LET COLT OUTSIDE OF YOU, and get out of that zone defense. Man up on the corners, corners were fine IMHO, and tell the safeties, maybe the strong one, to kill anyone over the middle. I'm all for intimadation over the middle. LBs, kill anything under 5 yards over the middle and get depth. Safties, don't let ANYONE behind you but for goodness sakes sloober knock the livin chit out of someone. If we can take three offsides penalties in a row then we can take a personal foul over the middle once or twice. Holmes and Harris can bring it but Crosby and Shipley were almost more physical, see youtube Crosby hit.

This defense is talented but OUr secondary plays soft at times. Harris and Holmes need to show some leadership and HIT SOMEONE ALREADY.

BOOMER!

To offset the no tight end, for the first time this year, Texas came out in a four wide receiver set... Shipley was either put in motion, or set closer to the tackle.

This effectively isolated him against a linebacker or slower safety.

If OU played a nickle or dime, the Texas offensive line was able to wear down the OU defensive line as the game went on because of the long, methodical drives... 90 yards, 74 yards.. 80 yards.. burning the clock and wearing down the OU defensive line.

Your cornerbacks were vulnerable and are the weakness of your defense.. at this point in their playing career, they cannot consistently play man on man coverage.

The Texas offensive line was providing protection for Colt when just 4 rushed so to get to him, different blitz packages were called...

Again.. this left Shipley and Cosby (Without the "R" in his name.. he's not Bing's son.. perhaps Bill's son) matched up against a linebacker or slower, strong safety... resulting in 7 - 8 yard pass completions designed to move the chains.

It's one thing to say, "We're gonna hit ya if you come over the middle." It's another thing to be able to effectively play pass defense.

TexasLidig8r
10/14/2008, 02:23 PM
Holmes and Harris can bring it but Crosby and Shipley were almost more physical, see youtube Crosby hit.

You mean this one????

http://www.barkingcarnival.com/henryjames/because-i-never-get-tired-of-watching-this

TahoeSOONER
10/14/2008, 07:06 PM
Again.. this left Shipley and Cosby (Without the "R" in his name.. he's not Bing's son.. perhaps Bill's son) matched up against a linebacker or slower, strong safety... resulting in 7 - 8 yard pass completions designed to move the chains.

It's one thing to say, "We're gonna hit ya if you come over the middle." It's another thing to be able to effectively play pass defense.

I'll call him Bill. Sorry, I respect the guys game but I don't care to get to know his name. I heard plenty of Shipley and Bills name on Saturday. I saw the four wide sets but I wasn't disappointed in our corners play. Colt buying time, rolling out and the lack of pressure from the line, defensive end play was enept, is what left allot of these guys on an Island. We can break down this game all fing night but texas deserved to win by blocking, tackeling and special teams. Just doing the little things better on top of that. Your defense was fine, better than years past, but OU pissed that game away in many ways. I'm confident that they'll fix some of these things, long way to go. If OU get's back to running the ball and grows as a unit in the secondary, they'll be able to beat anyone in the Country.

So lose twice already.

BOOMER!

VA Sooner
10/14/2008, 07:49 PM
Good possibility of losing twice this year... but let's not sit back and wait for it. Rebuilding the middle of the defense is the first order of business. Pulling in Nic Harris into the middle or the other hard-hitter, Keenan Clayton.

Drawing a few penalties by hitting a receiver in the mouth in the middle would take care of any confidence of thinking it's a soft spot from here on out.

Ugly... but sometimes that's what has to be done to prove a point.

OU_Sooners75
10/15/2008, 05:45 AM

For starters, I would have gotten out of cover 2.

I would have played cover 4 or at least cover 3 if I was in Zone. This would have gave some help in the middle, especially when Reynolds got hurt.

I would have also switched to more of a man to man defense.

Zone coverage is good, but it has way to many holes. The corners will cover until they hit that imaginary boundary of their area. BS.

We have good enough DBs to cover any WR in this country. If not, then double that WR!

It was not that hard of a fix in game. Get help to the weakest link, Saturday after Reynolds got injured, that was the middle of the field.

BUT...since BV is stuck in the 1990s he loves the cover 2 and in almost all circumstances in the big games, it has not worked!