PDA

View Full Version : So... which coach gets fired next?

badger
10/14/2008, 09:54 AM
SPEK CONTEST TIME!

Here are your provided resources:
Coaches Hot Seat (http://www.coacheshotseat.com/)
The most recent ESPN.com poll here. (http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/ncf/index)

ESPN's choices are Iowa's Kirk Ferentz, Rocky Top's Phil Fulmer, Cuse's Greg Robinson and Warsh's Ty Willingham.

Hot Seat lists Auburn's Tuberville, Tenn's Fulmer, Warsh's Willingham and aTm's Sherman in their top four.

Colleges are jockeying for top coaching position vacancies in attempts to resurrect their "struggling" programs! (I quote mark "struggling" because we all know some schools have higher standards and more patience than others) Which college makes the next move? Who will be fired next?

Spek to the winner :)

OUthunder
10/14/2008, 09:57 AM
Phil Furmer should be done as should Mike Stoops after losing to Stanford.

I also think that Randy Shannon is on his last life at Miami.

StoopTroup
10/14/2008, 09:58 AM
Plou Foltthz...

Wait...

Maybe he just needs a pep talk.

sooner518
10/14/2008, 09:59 AM
Im shocked Brent Venables isnt on there somewhere.... :D

OUmillenium
10/14/2008, 10:06 AM
Can we nominate him?:D

badger
10/14/2008, 10:12 AM
this contest is for HEAD COACHES ONLY. no bv, sorry.

Boomer.....
10/14/2008, 10:15 AM
Ty Willingham

badger
10/14/2008, 10:26 AM
I absolutely love the Hot Seat site because it has a lot of the most recent wire stories related to coaching success and failure. I wanted to get this thread going now because I think that after Clemson made this huge move mid-season, it will:

1- Make donors at other schools impatient and yank funds to prompt change immediately.

2- Make administrations want to pull plugs before other schools do so that they can begin searches sooner than competitors.

I will not spek myself, but my pick for next coaching ouster is Greg Robinson. Stuff is just WAY too awful at Orangeman Land to ignore much longer. Plus, it's not like stuff would get any worse than it already is should they oust the head coach.

Johnny Utah
10/14/2008, 11:16 AM
I will not spek myself, but my pick for next coaching ouster is Greg Robinson. Stuff is just WAY too awful at Orangeman Land to ignore much longer. Plus, it's not like stuff would get any worse than it already is should they oust the head coach.

I speked ya! Good choice ... wasn't he the UT DC at one time or am I confused?

oumartin
10/14/2008, 11:54 AM
It is selfish to wish Mikey would get fired at Arizona? I mean I really miss the guy. Not that he would come back here but one can wish..

tommieharris91
10/14/2008, 11:57 AM
Everyone in the ACC except Jim Grobe should be on the hot seat.

tommieharris91
10/14/2008, 11:58 AM
It is selfish to wish Mikey would get fired at Arizona? I mean I really miss the guy. Not that he would come back here but one can wish..

For some reason, I think all they need to do is make a bowl game and he will earn another year.

Anyway, Arizona is 4-2 with the following games left:

Cal - toss-up
USC - L
@Wazzu - W
@Oregon - L
ORSt - toss-up
ASU - toss-up

So... it looks like they gotta beat one of their toss-up to get to 6 wins. Would that be enough to put them in a bowl game? Also, one of their wins is a 41-16 trouncing of Toledo.

A Horn
10/14/2008, 12:02 PM
Ty Willingham gets my vote. What a mess.

soonerpike697
10/14/2008, 12:05 PM
SPEK CONTEST TIME!

Here are your provided resources:
Coaches Hot Seat (http://www.coacheshotseat.com/)
The most recent ESPN.com poll here. (http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/ncf/index)

ESPN's choices are Iowa's Kirk Ferentz, Rocky Top's Phil Fulmer, Cuse's Greg Robinson and Warsh's Ty Willingham.

Hot Seat lists Auburn's Tuberville, Tenn's Fulmer, Warsh's Willingham and aTm's Sherman in their top four.

Colleges are jockeying for top coaching position vacancies in attempts to resurrect their "struggling" programs! (I quote mark "struggling" because we all know some schools have higher standards and more patience than others) Which college makes the next move? Who will be fired next?

Spek to the winner :)

Tubberville does not belong, yes the offense is bad but that defense is incredible he deserves a shot to get an offense to match that and really compete. Fulmer just got an extension last season are they going to want to pay him off? Tyronne is probably your best bet, I think Sherman may get one more season. I'd go with Tyronne when I was in Seattle all their fans said it was a matter of when not if...

HappyClappyMackBrown
10/14/2008, 12:21 PM
Tubberville does not belong, yes the offense is bad but that defense is incredible he deserves a shot to get an offense to match that and really compete. Fulmer just got an extension last season are they going to want to pay him off? Tyronne is probably your best bet, I think Sherman may get one more season. I'd go with Tyronne when I was in Seattle all their fans said it was a matter of when not if...

Willingham aint the problem, its there ****ty A.D. up there

HappyClappyMackBrown
10/14/2008, 12:22 PM
Sherman is going to be run out of town. He's the first to go, Willingham gets one more year.

A Horn
10/14/2008, 12:25 PM
Sherman is going to be run out of town.

In classic A&M fashion. To hear the way they talk about the R.C. "Glory Days", its a laughable adjustment from 8 years ago.

I hadn't really thought about Sherman, I guess I figured they wouldn't fire him in his first year. But there is a lot of 2-10 talk right now...

Breadburner
10/14/2008, 12:39 PM
What about the guy in Michigan.....

badger
10/14/2008, 12:39 PM
I must emphasize that just because ESPN.com and Hot Seat lists certain coaches does not necessarily mean that they will be the next to go. I mean, did any of us think that after how long Clemson put up with Tommy Bowden that they would oust him mid-season now?

With that in mind, who is it, guys? It's gonna happen soon! Get yer picks in :D

sooneron
10/14/2008, 12:40 PM
Fulmer
and then Willingham

They'll give Ty til the end of the season.

sooneron
10/14/2008, 12:46 PM
and if MIke gets Zona to a bowl, he remains in Tucson. I get the feeling that they could beat usc for some reason. He has to beat asu, tho.

HappyClappyMackBrown
10/14/2008, 12:49 PM
Im changing my choice to Mike Stoops.

St. Louis Sooner
10/14/2008, 12:50 PM
it'd be great to see mike back here, but i get the feeling he, personally, doesn't want that unless he's HC; i think it has something to do with sibling rivalry ;)

HappyClappyMackBrown
10/14/2008, 12:53 PM
it'd be great to see mike back here, but i get the feeling he, personally, doesn't want that unless he's HC; i think it has something to do with sibling rivalry ;)

Mike would only come back if they reopened coaches bar and grill.

Jacie
10/14/2008, 12:59 PM
None of you get the overdose of Big Orange football like those of us in New York so I'll settle this one. Greg Robinson, a vegetable on life support waiting for someone to mercifully pull the plug, is toast. Robinson is quick to point out that his team has the same record as Rutgers and we all remember how the Scarlet Knights were everyone's darling for the last two seasons, right? Only problem is Rutgers is 0-2, 1-5 overall so far which means Syracuse is . . .

How bad is it for 'cuse? Last week, two of their recruits signed with 1-AA schools instead of the Orange, opting not to join the other four young men of the 2009 class. He is another head coach who rose to the top after being a hotshot DC, his last boss being Mack Brown. Guess it's back to the NFL as an assistant for Greg.

badger
10/14/2008, 01:07 PM
Here (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&page=dash0807&sportCat=ncf)'s the latest Forde column which talks about this issue.

NTTAWWT - Not that there's anything worth weading there.

KRYPTON
10/14/2008, 01:33 PM
Sherman won't get kicked out after a year unless something horrible happens off the field or he loses his mind and says something stupid. Aggies all feel that he's been left nothing, and the evidence would tend to show that.

At one point in practice recently the TE wasn't blocking right, and he went in in plain clothes at full speed and knocked down the DE to show how it's done right. Whether that means the DE really sucks or is intelligent enough not to head-slap his own head coach I don't know, but Aggies love that raw shrunken-testicle rage stuff.

badger
10/14/2008, 01:37 PM
Aggies love that raw shrunken-testicle rage stuff.

This is what happens when you squeeze it every Saturday :eek:

:P

MichiganSooner
10/14/2008, 01:39 PM
Rich Rodriguez at Michigan. There is no way they are going to put up with what is going on there. He didn't have a rebuilding job.

AllAboutThe'O'
10/14/2008, 01:45 PM
None of you get the overdose of Big Orange football like those of us in New York so I'll settle this one. Greg Robinson, a vegetable on life support waiting for someone to mercifully pull the plug, is toast. Robinson is quick to point out that his team has the same record as Rutgers and we all remember how the Scarlet Knights were everyone's darling for the last two seasons, right? Only problem is Rutgers is 0-2, 1-5 overall so far which means Syracuse is . . .

How bad is it for 'cuse? Last week, two of their recruits signed with 1-AA schools instead of the Orange, opting not to join the other four young men of the 2009 class. He is another head coach who rose to the top after being a hotshot DC, his last boss being Mack Brown. Guess it's back to the NFL as an assistant for Greg.

Seeing what happened to Robinson (and to a lesser extent Chizik) may have Will Muschamp thinking about not making the jump from Mack's staff to a head coach somewhere else.

As for which coach will get fired sooner, I'm throwing Ty and Fat Phil's names in the ring, but another name to keep an eye on is Virginia's Al Groh. He's coming off back-to-back wins over Maryland and East Carolina, but you watch, the Cavs are going to screw up a couple of games down the road.

BudSooner
10/14/2008, 01:58 PM
I think Rich gets a pass since this is his first year, Sherman probably gets the axe...even the cult cannot tolerate a season like they are experiencing there.
Tubby has to go, no way he stays.
Oh, Phat Phil..I thought he just signed an extension thru 2010?

JLEW1818
10/14/2008, 02:01 PM
Rich Rodriguez at Michigan. There is no way they are going to put up with what is going on there. He didn't have a rebuilding job.

You serious? No way he gets the boot. They don't even have a quarterback for that system, yet. He will be there next year.

badger
10/14/2008, 02:49 PM
Another resource for your contest needs:

The BCS Bottom 10. (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?page=bottom10087)

Instead of dedicating it to the usual culprits, like Wyoming band and football uniforms, or the abysmal Idaho Vandals, they dedicated this week's Bottom 10 list to the worst of the worst in BCS conferences.

Shock: No Baylor.
Awe: No Iowa State!
Tee hee: Four Pac 10 teams.
Hoo ray: One of the four Pac 10 teams is NOT Mikey's team.

StormySooner-IN
10/14/2008, 03:00 PM
Fulmer....Willingham

PalmBeachSooner1
10/14/2008, 03:29 PM
Fullmer is gone. Shannon will get another year.

AlbqSooner
10/14/2008, 04:28 PM
I mean, did any of us think that after how long Clemson put up with Tommy Bowden that they would oust him mid-season now?

Hmmmmm. Maybe he was doing like his brother and doinking a major boosters daughter? :eek:

Sabanball
10/14/2008, 05:08 PM
Fulmer and Willingham are both dead men walking. Tuberville's seat will be boiling hot after this coming weekend after he loses at Morgantown. Keep in mind though he has a $6million golden parachute, so his situation could get a little complicated.

MichiganSooner
10/14/2008, 08:07 PM
You serious? No way he gets the boot. They don't even have a quarterback for that system, yet. He will be there next year.

They won't get rid of him this year. But no way he gets 2 or 3. His "system" had better produce wins whether he has his quarterback or not. Michigan alumni won't wait around.

MichiganSooner
10/14/2008, 08:28 PM
These are comments from my brother in Michigan. Rich has done an awful job coaching this season. He just lost to Toledo. Toledo isn't just a MAC team; it is a terrible MAC team this year. Toledo is ranked 123rd by Sagarin behind 18 1-AA teams. RR talks about rebuilding Michigan. This team has gone to 33 consecutive bowls and that count would be 40 if Bo's early teams had been eligible. The Big 10 only allowed one league team to go to a bowl and never to 2 in a row. Michigan kicked Florida's butt last January. RR said we will adapt; I like winning too much not to adapt to the players I have. He hasn't adapted; he ran off players, Ryan Mallet for one, so he could chase Terrell Pryor. He hasn't adapted. His scheme is the same spread he ran at West Virginny with players who can't run it. This team did not need rebuilt. M was in a BCS bowl 3 of the last 5 years. Lloyd Carr was 1-6 against Ohio State but was also 9-0 versus Penn State and 10-2 versus Michigan State. It would be foolish to get rid of him now and he may end up winning championships when he gets his own players but the guys who are there now, should have a better record and that is coaching.

swardboy
10/14/2008, 08:47 PM
Well, Mr. McGuffie got to start as a freshman....at a laughingstock.

swardboy
10/14/2008, 09:04 PM
I think this synopsis of OU and Stoops in the Forum area is an interesting read:

One cannot help but admire Bob Stoops record at Oklahoma (97-22 .815), but OU’s last 4 games BCS bowls and some other regular season games raise some serious warning flags, and that doubt is something that Stoops and his staff must deal with in the offseason. The last few years we have seen Oklahoma teams come out flat against what were perceived to be “inferior” opponents, and that is a sure sign of a head coach that does not have control of the mental side of his football team. The lackluster play by OU can be solved very easily, and that is by Bob Stoops refocusing his efforts on the importance of his team playing with pride and dedication every time they suit up in an Oklahoma uniform. It doesn’t take a psychologist to notice that Bob Stoops and his staff bring different levels of motivation to different games, and that difference is being picked up by OU players and it is causing the inconsistent play that has plagued recent Sooner teams. One of the most underrated skills of a great head football coach is to bring a consistent level of both interest and passion to all meetings, practices, and games, and Bob Stoops number 1 job in 2008 will be to bring the same kind of consistent passion to the game that Stoops did in his early years at OU. It is natural for someone to lose enthusiasm for a job after 9 years doing the same thing, but the really great head coaches, Paul Bryant, Woody Hayes, Bo Schembechler, Bob Devaney, Darrel Royal, Tom Osborne, Jimmy Johnson, and a few others, were able to put aside everything and focus entirely on the matter at hand. For those coaches, and for Bob Stoops, if the focus is entirely on the the job that is right in front of them, which is primarily to coach and prepare their football teams to win football games, the enthusiasm and passion will always be there. Emerson was right when he said that, “Nothing every great is achieved without enthusiasm.” Ralph Waldo Emerson. Bob Stoops has plenty of passion for the game of football, but in the last few years his passion has been missing or is inconsistent at times, and that is why Stoops only has one National Championship when by all rights he should have two or three.

Breadburner
10/14/2008, 09:09 PM
Kragthorpe....???

soonerpike697
10/15/2008, 12:25 AM
Mike would only come back if they reopened coaches bar and grill.

That's a good point that was his favorite hunting grounds...

JLEW1818
10/15/2008, 12:40 AM
Well its impossible to find a coach that is going to win the big game every time. 1 for 3 in National Championships aint bad.

Lets play for 3 more and win 1 of them. I'd be cool with that.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/15/2008, 09:01 AM
Ty Willingham

Concur. Talking with some UW folks at the game, they said it was already done, just not announced.

Sabanball
10/15/2008, 04:42 PM
Well its impossible to find a coach that is going to win the big game every time. 1 for 3 in National Championships aint bad.

Lets play for 3 more and win 1 of them. I'd be cool with that.

Agreed, and somehow getting overlooked by a lot of young, spoiled OU fans, I suspect, that I don't think remember or weren't around the lean times you had before Stoops arrived. Yes, he's lost several BCS games in a row, but just the fact that he has gotten you in the championship game as many times as he has is an amazing feat in itself. Stop and think about how hard that is to do! Two--Only two-- other coaches(Carroll and Tressel) can match what he has done in that regard.

badger
10/15/2008, 06:47 PM
Would anyone like dibs on Rich Roddy (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3645029)?

They are already to the second stage of firing - DENIAL :D

yermom
10/16/2008, 12:02 AM
i think you can get a .02 BAC from smelling a beer...

badger
10/16/2008, 02:22 PM
anyone calling dibs on Tommy Tubberville (http://www.al.com/sports/press-register/ewoodbery.ssf?/base/sports/122414855535910.xml&coll=3)?

A possible detriment (http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20081016/SPORTS/710169881/1004/SPORTS) to those of you who picked Ty Willingham as your horse.

Don't forget that firing could happen to Dabo Swinney! (http://www.dailyprogress.com/cdp/sports/cavalier_insider/ci_football/article/clemson_regroups_under_new_coach_swinney/29517)

Note: Spek offer still on for the person who guesses the next coach to bite the dust in any format - firing, asked to leave, resigning, $700 billion governmental bailout, Yell Leader rolling coach out on casket.

:les:Call it now or hold your peace!

WA. Sooner
10/17/2008, 01:04 AM
TY, The UW just git a new AD from the SEC and losing isn't very pretty

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/17/2008, 01:44 AM
Mike Gundy

badger
10/18/2008, 11:30 PM
Anymore picks after this week's results?

tommieharris91
10/18/2008, 11:35 PM
Who's the coach at Wazzu? I pick him.

tommieharris91
10/18/2008, 11:37 PM
Everyone in the ACC except Jim Grobe should be on the hot seat.

OK, every coach in the ACC should be on the hot seat.

royalfan5
10/19/2008, 07:59 AM
Who's the coach at Wazzu? I pick him.
They aren't going to fire a first year coach who is a distinguished alumni with a track record of rebuilding programs after he had to bounce a bunch of ****-ups from the roster.

Blues1
10/19/2008, 10:52 AM
NEWS FLASH --- Next Coach going Down...!!!
Anyone see the New Mexico - San Diego State Score ----!
Good Bye Chuck....

badger
10/20/2008, 04:59 PM
Chuck is now near the top of the Coaches Hot Seat list, but I have a feeling that those that picked Tubberville or Willingham as their pony are going to vCash (rather, vSpek) in soon.

But hey, Blues, if you're picking Chuck Third and Long, I think you're the first!

tommieharris91
10/20/2008, 05:02 PM
Heh, y'all shoulda went with 49ers coach Mike Nolan. ESPN reports on Sportscenter that he will be fired and replaced by Mike Singletary next Sunday.

badger
10/20/2008, 05:04 PM
Heh, y'all shoulda went with 49ers coach Mike Nolan. ESPN reports on Sportscenter that he will be fired and replaced by Mike Singletary next Sunday.

Nah, this is for

1- College
2- Football
3- Head
4- Coaches

If they do not meet these criteria, no consideration, for fear of getting this labeled as another "fire BV" thread that gets shut down. of course, the firing will happen within the next week, so I'm not too worried about a shutdown :)

tulsaoilerfan
10/20/2008, 05:05 PM
I hope it's Wade Phillips myself. :) Oh wait, you are talking college

badger
10/20/2008, 05:05 PM
I hope it's Wade Phillips myself. :) Oh wait, you are talking college
four simple criteria!
1. College
2. Football
3. Head
4. Coach

:mad: I will let you off since you're a fellow Tulsan.

tommieharris91
10/20/2008, 05:10 PM
Nah, this is for

1- College
2- Football
3- Head
4- Coaches

If they do not meet these criteria, no consideration, for fear of getting this labeled as another "fire BV" thread that gets shut down. of course, the firing will happen within the next week, so I'm not too worried about a shutdown :)

OK. Then I'm gonna narrow it down in the ACC.

Let's go with Ralph Friedgen at Maryland and Tom O'Brien at NC State.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/20/2008, 05:47 PM
Greg Robinson, Cuse

bluedogok
10/20/2008, 07:19 PM
Greg Robinson, Cuse
I think he stays until the end of the season, they have nothing to play for anyway. He will be a "dead man walking" the last couple of games.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/20/2008, 07:31 PM
I think his AD let it be known after the 1st game which way he was headed

Jacie
10/20/2008, 07:32 PM
I think he stays until the end of the season, they have nothing to play for anyway. He will be a "dead man walking" the last couple of games.

Some think that's what he's been since he first got there . . .

Johnny Utah
10/20/2008, 08:08 PM
Nah, this is for

1- College
2- Football
3- Head
4- Coaches

BURN!:P

SanDiegoSoonerGal
10/20/2008, 08:44 PM
After listening to local sports talk radio today, I too have to go with Long. As far as I could tell the only thing missing were the pitchforks and torches. And maybe that was only because it was radio.

I don't think Aztec fans have ever had national championship aspirations, but on the other hand, no one has ever scored 70 points on them in the history of the team. Until now.

oumartin
10/20/2008, 08:51 PM
So, we probably shouldn't bring back Chuck to help coach the defense? ;)

royalfan5
10/20/2008, 10:01 PM
Greg Robinson, Cuse

or as I like to call him, The White Ty Willingham.

tulsaoilerfan
10/21/2008, 07:47 AM
four simple criteria!
1. College
2. Football
3. Head
4. Coach

:mad: I will let you off since you're a fellow Tulsan.

It was a joke Badger

badger
10/21/2008, 08:03 AM
It was a joke Badger

:P as was my response

Scott D
10/21/2008, 10:01 AM
OK. Then I'm gonna narrow it down in the ACC.

Let's go with Ralph Friedgen at Maryland and Tom O'Brien at NC State.

nah Friedgen wins enough to keep his job, O'Brien has the whole "only in second year at NC State" thing going for him. Robinson is the easy pick, but I'll go risky and go with Jeff Tedford.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/21/2008, 10:14 AM
nah Friedgen wins enough to keep his job, O'Brien has the whole "only in second year at NC State" thing going for him. Robinson is the easy pick, but I'll go risky and go with Jeff Tedford.

As far as PAC-10, I think Willingham is gone, but that's not risky. Tedford - that's an interesting pick, though one that may be accurate. He hasn't been lighting up the place and I think CalBear fans may have gotten a taste of the good life and don't want to lose it...

royalfan5
10/21/2008, 11:45 AM
Joe Glenn is probably toast at Wyoming as well.

badger
10/21/2008, 11:48 AM
Remember - it's the first one out! Which school makes the inevitable move first?

Which school's donors will pull donations away quicker than the next?

Which school's athletic director is a more impatient toddler than the next?

Which school's fanbase will riot after yet another lopsided loss first?

Which school's area media will be the most critical of inaction first?

:D Spek to teh winnar(z)...

Sasakwa
10/21/2008, 02:39 PM
Greg Robinson, Cuse

Agreed. I was going to say Nolan at S.F. 2 games ago, I promise!

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/22/2008, 12:53 AM
Pete Carroll

Sooner_09
10/22/2008, 11:24 AM
Ty Willingham

badger
10/22/2008, 01:00 PM
Ty Willingham

It's not his fault he's not scheduling the cupcakes... cue ESPN calling Big 12 teams like Tech out (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/pac10/0-3-135/Pac-10-needs-to-rethink-its-ambitious-scheduling.html), rage. :mad:

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/22/2008, 01:13 PM
That would make sense IF the Pac-10 could beat the Mountain West Conference teams

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/22/2008, 01:18 PM
And as for the tough schedules...they have to schedule those teams because their conference sucks so bad, I would say that the 6 or 7th best team in the SEC and Big 12 are A LOT better than the second best team in the PAC-10. In the Big 12, texas, OU, Missouri, Okie Lite, Tech, Kansas are ALL a lot better than the second best team in the PAC-10 and you could argue that Nebraska, A&M, K-State are just as good as their second best team.

RiddlerOK
10/22/2008, 01:20 PM
Willingham and Robinson on the same day if luck plays it straight.

Sooner_09
10/22/2008, 01:36 PM
It's not his fault he's not scheduling the cupcakes... cue ESPN calling Big 12 teams like Tech out (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/pac10/0-3-135/Pac-10-needs-to-rethink-its-ambitious-scheduling.html), rage. :mad:

Yeah really. Since when are teams like West Virginia, Florida State, Cincinatti, and TCU cupcakes? Not to mention, Illinois...
Wait, techs in the Big XII too....:O

badger
10/26/2008, 11:08 AM
Syracuse AD: 'We are keeping Greg Robinson dangling from a string as long as possible.' (http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Syracuse-AD-We-are-keeping-Greg-Robinson-dangl?urn=ncaaf,116909)

Nothing's set in stone yet, but it looks like we might have a few winnarz who chose Robinson.

BudSooner
10/26/2008, 01:51 PM
Which school makes the inevitable move first?

Which school will put the donors donations away quicker in mason jars out in the hog pen? okie lite.

Which school's athletic director is a more impatient toddler than the next? Uh, Arky?

Which school's fanbase will riot after yet another lopsided loss first? WVU?

Which school's area media will be the most critical of inaction first? UCLA?

85sooners
10/26/2008, 03:15 PM
:pop:

badger
10/27/2008, 02:43 PM
Congratulations... to people who chose Tyrone Willingham!
Ty's gone at end of season (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3667258)

Because this does not appear to be a legit firing, the contest is still open to those who have not already picked a coach. However, spek to all who chose Ty, because this likely was a firing that was just disclosed as a "stepping down" process to ease the egos of many.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/27/2008, 03:07 PM
can we get a list of who picked who?

badger
10/27/2008, 03:12 PM
can we get a list of who picked who?

That requires too much work :D

I'll just go through the pages and spek the ones that have the correct answer. Yes, this likely means that you can have multiple posts with multiple guesses and you'll probably get one of your guesses right

stoops the eternal pimp
10/27/2008, 03:13 PM
I just picked one but I have to be right!

btw, I was gonna spek them to but I aint gonna go through 5 pages..maybe I will

birddog
10/27/2008, 03:19 PM

traber said osu had the toughest sched in the country. sagarin says it's 87th.

and i don't think washington could beat easten washington or smu.

PalmBeachSooner1
10/27/2008, 03:21 PM
"The only reason Ty has that job is because of his skin color" - Rush Limbaugh ; )

badger
10/27/2008, 03:45 PM
"The only reason Ty has that job is because of his skin color" - Rush Limbaugh ; )

Contrary to popular belief, Tyrone Willingham is a good football coach. From my understanding, he just isn't very good at the major college program level.

Ty had a reasonable amount of success at Stanford (won Pac 10 in 99) and his first season at Notre Dame (10 wins), but I think where he struggled was recruiting. He was like the opposite of Ron Zook, where instead of devoting every waking hour to recruiting, Ty did not. Thus, the drop off in talent after the first season at Notre Dame, the non-improvement at Washington, etc.

I think Ty would be better suited in the NFL. That recruiting aspect just killed him. There were some drives early in the OU-Warsh game that could have been scary with a more talented team on the field opposing us and I'm sure other teams would agree.

josh09
10/27/2008, 03:55 PM
Bob Stoops.

PalmBeachSooner1
10/27/2008, 03:58 PM
Bob Stoops.

lol

StormySooner-IN
11/3/2008, 03:19 PM
Fulmer....Willingham
heyhey hey I got another one right!!

Gandalf_The_Grey
11/3/2008, 03:25 PM
Mike Leach

Sabanball
11/3/2008, 09:50 PM
Ty Willingham

sooner59
11/3/2008, 11:09 PM
Mike Leach

Heh, I know you are kidding, but Leach really might be gone soon.

But he won't be fired, he will be hired....by a bigger program. Maybe he won't want to leave, but he would deserve it if he got a shot.

Sooner_09
11/4/2008, 01:14 AM
Could you imagine if he went to Tennessee? How would the SEC change if that offense was brought into it?

badger
11/4/2008, 09:17 AM
So... anyways, I owe some spek. However, since this also does not appear to be a firing, but a save-face move on both Tennessee's part (who will declare the Kentucky game "Phil Fulmer Day") and on Fulmer's part (who will not have to step down until the end of the season), the contest is still open until they ACTUALLY SACK SOMEONE.

You see, right now, the boards of regents are ganging up on the team's sideline quarterback, but instead of just sacking the hell outta him for a huge loss, they are all like "We're not going to actually tackle you until the final game so that you don't have an ugly highlight reel on ESPN or something and QB is all like "That's cool, guys. I'll have time to say goodbye and continue QB'ing."

But... since this also appears to be a firing, even if it is a delayed firing, spek for all who picked Fulmer. Ehhh... I'm going to have to give a double dose when an actual firing happens :rolleyes:

EDIT: I saw that several of you picked Ty and Phil in the same post, and unfortunately, since I have already given you spek once, I cannot again. However, if you want to pick again, I won't stop you :)

badger
11/16/2008, 04:16 PM
FIRED! (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3706539)

This is a honest to goodness FIRING, finally! Some coaches got to finish out the season, get healthy buyouts and such, but Greg Robinson has been FIRED by Syracuse. No respectfully resigning bee ehs, FIRED.

A double dose of spek to those that predicted this actual firing :)

Not right now, but soon. You'll get your spek if you chose Greg. Contest over, thanks to all for playing :D

badger
11/17/2008, 05:33 AM
"Winners..."
sasakwa
eternal pimp
jacie

I hit you all twice :)

badger
11/29/2008, 05:01 PM
If anyone predicted 2007 SEC Coach of the Year would be out...

Yes, Croom got Croomed (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3733168).