PDA

View Full Version : Extra Point Timeout

Ardmore_Sooner
10/14/2008, 01:29 AM
What was the deal with that?

sooner13f
10/14/2008, 01:35 AM
Stoops was going for two but they got a flag....false start I believe. Took too long to decide he wanted to go for one after the flag....had to burn one.

IowaSooner26
10/14/2008, 07:37 AM
I thought it was the holder who took the timeout. I kinda figured that he did so because the ball wasn't directly in the middle of the field but more toward the left hash. I'm guessing he thought it should be right in the middle so he took a timeout to inform coach. Because shortly after the refs talked to stoops and mack but kicked the FG anyways. I assume the reason it was placed as such is that you have the choice of where to place the ball on a two point conversion and after the choice is made it cannot be changed even if you change your mind.

Paperclip
10/14/2008, 09:47 AM
Looked to me that Whitson thought the play clock should have been reset. He called the timeout with :14 on the play clock which I thought should have been plenty.

CaliBornSoonerBred
10/14/2008, 11:44 AM
I think we didn't have enough men on the field. I'd have to go back and look at it on the tivo but the holder came over, said something quick to Stoops, he nodded and sent him back out and a few personel changes happened too so maybe a fake was up is sleeve even on the extra point attempt. I think personel grouping was wrong as well as not enough men on the field.

A Horn
10/14/2008, 12:23 PM
I think we didn't have enough men on the field.

I thought so too. The look Stoops gave him after he called the timout made me question whether or not that dude knew what he was doing, though. I was confused but I think you're right.

BermudaSooner
10/14/2008, 12:25 PM
I'm pretty sure it was because he wanted the ball placed back in the middle of the field. I was right by that endzone. The holder looked up and seemed surprised to see the goalposts off to his right rather than right in front of him.

HappyClappyMackBrown
10/14/2008, 12:33 PM
And what's the deal with ineligible men down-field?
http://media.canada.com/67bc2623-9886-4c71-9f03-edf992a0aa3a/jseinfeld_375x375.jpg

OKC-SLC
10/14/2008, 12:36 PM
I thought it was the holder who took the timeout. I kinda figured that he did so because the ball wasn't directly in the middle of the field but more toward the left hash. I'm guessing he thought it should be right in the middle so he took a timeout to inform coach. Because shortly after the refs talked to stoops and mack but kicked the FG anyways. I assume the reason it was placed as such is that you have the choice of where to place the ball on a two point conversion and after the choice is made it cannot be changed even if you change your mind.

at the time i thought it was because the play clock may not have been reset and Whitson was concerned--but this seems completely plausible to me. i'll bet you're right.

Jayhawk Penguin
10/14/2008, 01:32 PM

There's a little known rule in college football where a team can call a timeout 3 times each half. By calling a timeout, a team can stop the game clock, reset the play clock, and they have usually 30-90 seconds to do whatever they want.

I thought you people knew your football? :confused:

CK Sooner
10/14/2008, 01:41 PM
There's a little known rule in college football where a team can call a timeout 3 times each half. By calling a timeout, a team can stop the game clock, reset the play clock, and they have usually 30-90 seconds to do whatever they want.

Is this when Mangino takes his lunch break?

:rolleyes:

JLEW1818
10/14/2008, 01:47 PM
Stoops was going for two but they got a flag....false start I believe. Took too long to decide he wanted to go for one after the flag....had to burn one.

Exactly we got a FLAG! what else is new

budbarrybob
10/14/2008, 07:11 PM

Meet me at Chili's after the game so I can buy you one of those big margaritas to numb the pain of the loss on saturday. K?