PDA

View Full Version : Boy, now this is a good idea

BudSooner
10/13/2008, 10:38 PM
http://www.ktul.com/news/stories/1008/561188.html

It is a bill to allow atv's the use of county roads, after that it will be up to individual towns/cities the choice of allowing them on city streets. BAD IDEA in the city, maybe in the country yeah but this would never work in town...nip it in the bud.
How long before some yokel on his four wheeler gets nailed by an idiot with his thumping stereo blaring, on the cell phone not paying attention.

If this indeed passes, i'm gonna be shocked. Btw, the reason is it is supposed to help with those hit hard by high gas prices.
Ok, maybe i'm not in the know but those things cost quite a bit and my thinking is this..if you can afford one of those then gas prices aren't hitting you like it hits the rest of us. Example, the guy at the pump driving the Excursion towing his pride and joy 32ft boat with twin outboards.....you have no excuse since you love those high priced toys...it's not as if you didn't know that truck gets maybe 8-10MPG and the boat gets similar nautical miles per gallon, it's called research.

End of rant, thoughts?

Tulsa_Fireman
10/13/2008, 11:24 PM
No.

They're not rated for road use for a reason.

olevetonahill
10/13/2008, 11:25 PM
No.

They're not rated for road use for a reason.

yup
sounds like over reaction to me.

yermom
10/14/2008, 03:45 AM
we used to ride them on the back roads in Owasso :O

in neighborhoods, i don't see why it would be any different than a motorcycle/scooter or even bicycles

41st and Yale? yeah, not so much

BudSooner
10/14/2008, 10:16 AM
we used to ride them on the back roads in Owasso :O

in neighborhoods, i don't see why it would be any different than a motorcycle/scooter or even bicycles

41st and Yale? yeah, not so much

Imagine you are sitting at a light at 71st&Mingo, about to make a right...all of a sudden....WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, an idiot on a 4trax goes flying past you as you start to turn right.

Yeah, I'm betting his lifespan would be quite short in that traffic.

FAIL!

Question, would this be put to a vote of the people?
I don't know why i'm getting so worked up over this, it just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. With so many kids riding those things, it is just something we don't need to happen.

mdklatt
10/14/2008, 10:18 AM
How are ATVs any different than motorcycles?

BudSooner
10/14/2008, 10:30 AM
How are ATVs any different than motorcycles?

Uh, well.....they are designed with going off road in mind.
Taking a Harley/Honda/Yamaha into a corner is one thing, but the handling on a 4 wheeler is different.
Think of it as a smaller SUV, you can lean the cycle into a corner and be fine assuming you do not clip the curb or other obstacle, however the four wheeler is top heavy with you being it's greatest weight...there is not much chassis forgiveness for turning at moderate speeds, you cannot lean into the turns....there is the issue. They are top heavy and can flip.

Partial Qualifier
10/14/2008, 10:34 AM
All my cousins up north in the Crescent/Dover/Hennessey area have ATV's of some sort and they've been driving them on the county roads up there for years.

Taxman71
10/14/2008, 12:10 PM
If that passes, golf carts should be legal on city streets...heck they're even electric.

BudSooner
10/14/2008, 01:27 PM
If that passes, golf carts should be legal on city streets...heck they're even electric.
"This is Bill Mitchell flying in Ranger 8, we have reports that a golf cart is parked in the middle of the Mingo Valley Expressway and refuses to move...."

"I'M PLAYING THRU BITCHES!"

jkjsooner
10/14/2008, 01:43 PM
So the wife and I were in the Dominican Republic two weeks ago. We did oneof those ATV excursions. Part of it involved driving the ATV's down a pretty busy highway that had no shoulder. ;-)

Then again, considering the backroads were nothing but huge potholes maybe they should require ATV's on them.

mdklatt
10/14/2008, 02:11 PM
Then again, considering the backroads were nothing but huge potholes maybe they should require ATV's on them.

Given the state of Oklahoma roads, maybe this is good idea after all.

mxATVracer10
10/14/2008, 03:38 PM
you cannot lean into the turns.... They are top heavy and can flip.
Yes you can, go watch a race and you'll see all kinds of weight transfer going on in the turns. ;) Of course there would be some that would take to the streets on an ATV without the knowledge of said weight transfer technique and would end up skidding down the pavement.

Sport ATVs can be set up to corner very well on pavement, however most f'in hillbillies would be riding large utility ATVs and thats where the problem would definitely come in. I'd personally like to be able to ride on the streets, but I'm fine in the A/C/Heating comfort of my car as well...

SicEmBaylor
10/14/2008, 03:42 PM
The bill doesn't say that cities and municipalities MUST allow ATVs on their city streets -- it simply gives them the option to do so. My guess is that Tulsa and larger towns/cities would outlaw them while your podunk towns may allow it in certain circumstances.

I do like the idea of legalizing them on country roads.

C&CDean
10/14/2008, 03:44 PM
I ride my 4-wheelers up and down the street all the time. I've got cattle a couple miles up the road, and always ride to go check on them. It's paved road, but it's alright.

Should you be able to ride them in town? Oh hell no. Kids get killed all the time turning them over in the boonies. In town, on pavement? No way.

Viking Kitten
10/14/2008, 06:05 PM
Question, would this be put to a vote of the people?

Probably not. Not unless the Legislature decided this spring to send it to a vote of the people, which is not likely. (In Oklahoma, what automatically goes to a vote of the people is Constitutional amendments, tax increases and referendums (petition initiatives.)

To be honest with you, I just don't see anything like that making it out of committee. Call your legislator if you truly are that concerned about it.