PDA

View Full Version : I think were missing something.

adoniijahsooner
10/13/2008, 09:33 PM
If Texas loses this weekend, there is a good chance they will still be ranked ahead of us, because they beat us head to head.

swardboy
10/13/2008, 09:34 PM
In this crazy season, I wouldn't bet on it...besides, IF we beat Kansas, that would be a very quality win.

lloyd45
10/13/2008, 09:37 PM
If we lose to Missou and you guys win, you'd move ahead of us. It's just the way the flawed system works.

Better question imo, lets say we run the table but lose in the big 12 championship, and you guys run the table, what happens then?

mojorisen2014
10/13/2008, 09:37 PM
If Texas loses this weekend, there is a good chance they will still be ranked ahead of us, because they beat us head to head.

It would depend on how bad they got beat by.

Sooner Eclipse
10/13/2008, 09:38 PM
I think the voters are cutting us a break mainly because of the loss of RR. I still think that game could have gone our way with Ryan in at MLB. :( If Crow becomes servicable or Box is inserted and the defense stabilizes, and a series of loses happens in the B12Sou that puts us in a 3 way tie for the south, we could conceivably overcome it.

lloyd45
10/13/2008, 09:44 PM
If you put a gun to my head and told me to name the number one reason OU lost I'd say its be the linebacker going down. Every key play after that he could have influenced. I've watched the game three times and that kid is a beast. Breaks my heart to see injuries like that.

adoniijahsooner
10/13/2008, 09:47 PM
If we lose to Missou and you guys win, you'd move ahead of us. It's just the way the flawed system works.

Better question imo, lets say we run the table but lose in the big 12 championship, and you guys run the table, what happens then?

Were in the National Championship game, and owe you guys a another victory, which we will be happy to exchange since you will give us a chance at #8

sooner59
10/13/2008, 09:47 PM

You are right, in today's polls its "what have you done for me lately". If OU wins out and against ranked opponents and Texas won out but lost to Mizzou in the Big 12 CG, OU is ranked higher. OU's loss is looked at as understandable by the media b/c of the loss of RR and that it was a shootout and close game in a rivalry game on a neutral field. If Texas loses a game, they better hope OU loses another as well....or else OU will likely hop them based on how voters vote nowadays.

JLEW1818
10/13/2008, 09:52 PM
We either want Texas to win out, or lose 2 games, no in between.

Breadburner
10/13/2008, 09:53 PM
It is imperitive we get the run game going.......If we rush for a 150 yds in the Texas game the outcome would have been much diffrent.....

Curly Bill
10/13/2008, 09:54 PM

I gotta be honest with ya -- I want Texas to lose out! :P

Curly Bill
10/13/2008, 09:55 PM
It is imperitive we get the run game going.......If we rush for a 150 yds in the Texas game the outcome would have been much diffrent.....

I'm thinkin get the defense going where we don't give up 45 points and we'll be fine. We scored enough to win.

adoniijahsooner
10/13/2008, 10:01 PM

How does it help us if they win out? what if Penn State doesnt lose?

sooner59
10/13/2008, 10:07 PM

True, Texas winning out does us absolutely no good. We want to be ranked "ahead" of them. We want them to lose 2 games. I think we would end up ahead of them at season's end if they only lose 1, but 2 is best.

SbOrOiNaEnR
10/13/2008, 10:15 PM
Honestly, I don't think losing RR had any impact on any voter who didn't watch the game, or who isn't an OU beat writer. Very few of the media voters actually watch the game, or even read the write-ups very closely afterwards. They'll look at the score, both teams' rankings, and possibly where it was played, but that's about it. Which is why the polls are a $hitty system.

That being said, as much as I love OU football, let's say Mizzou does beat Texas, putting them below us, and then both teams win out. We're ranked higher, but Texas still goes to the CCG. Would you really want a shot at the MNC without even winning the division, let alone the conference? I'm not sure that I would. I know I was in the contingent that bitched about Georgia's consideration last year, and I'm a big proponent of winning your conference before you should be in MNC consideration.

tooslow
10/13/2008, 10:36 PM
How does it help us if they win out?

Strength of schedule, that's how. The computers that are used in the BCS ratings use SOS. We'd probably be better off by having Texas lose 2 and beating a 1-loss Mizzou in the CCG. Winning out for us is pretty obvious.....

Taken from a BCS site:

Though the BCS removed strength of schedule as a stand-alone component of the standings in 2004, schedule strength is included in some form in each of the computer rankings. The BCS also removed margin of victory from the formula, and uses only computer polls that do not take final score into account.

JLEW1818
10/13/2008, 10:38 PM

So your saying it would be good for Texas to finish with one loss?

BoulderSooner79
10/13/2008, 10:54 PM

Then the north champ goes to the Fiesta and OU gets a BCS at-large. UT would get a non-BCS bowl like Mizzou did last year. Like UGA last year, OU would not get a title slot - you gotta win the conference. Not a rule, but the voters would lean that way.

BoulderSooner79
10/13/2008, 11:00 PM

It helps our strength of schedule to get a BCS at-large bid. The logic here is that it does us no good for UT to lose 1 game since they have the tie breaker for the CCG - that would only hurt our strength of schedule. I started a thread asking the horns to either win out or screw up big; Mack didn't speak up either way.:texan:

Sooner in Tampa
10/14/2008, 06:13 AM
Fella's...I don't know about the rest of you...but I am thinking that BYU is going to go undefeated which could very well land them in the MNC game. I just don't know how they can keep with out with a ton of one loss teams.

AND...those fuggers from SUC are climbing right up the ladder too.

There is an enormous sized hill in front of us and honestly...too many other teams control the outcome.

Also...if I am not mistaken...we have NEVER won a MNC AFTER losing to sexat!?!?!

PLaw
10/14/2008, 07:15 AM

Depends on who wins the Big XII championship game. If it's Mizzery, then they probably have a shot at the Championship game, UT is headed to Glendale where all good teams go to die, and the Sooners are celebrating the holidays in the Holiday.

If it's anbody besides Mizzery, then it's 52 card pick-up. Winner goes to the Fiesta, Texas probably gets another BCS game, and OU is still headed to the Holiday.

Both texass and OU will have there hands full winning out. The Big XII South is the deepest six teams of any conference or conference division. There are three toss up games left and a trap game or two along the way. You better pack your lunch every Saturday.

BOOMER

Breadburner
10/14/2008, 07:25 AM
I'm thinkin get the defense going where we don't give up 45 points and we'll be fine. We scored enough to win.

You can't let the other team have the ball for 37 minutes and expect to win games.....We need to eat up some clock with the run.....

beer4me
10/14/2008, 07:46 AM

I love it when someone says "We scored enough to win"

No we did not score enough to win.

This team is going to have to score a bundle of points each game because this defense is not going to be able to keep the opponents from scoring when the opponent can run and pass period.

They will do better against one dimensional teams but are not going to be able to keep the score down on teams that have more than one threat.

BOOMER SOONER

StoopTroup
10/14/2008, 07:53 AM
There have been some folks who lose this year that really took it in the polls.

OU didn't.

Why you ask?

We score points and our offense moves the ball with ease.

Voters like that.

texas didn't stop us...we slowed down and became cautious after the call out of bounds with McCoy. Up till then we were trading touchdowns.

OU led at 11:42 of the 4th qtr. texas scrapped their way past us.

In the end...we stopped trading TD's and the momentum changed.

Losing Ryan hurt. Not intercepting McCoy in the EZ hurt and not scoring again in the 4th qtr hurt.

Nobody was heading for the exits until 2:31 of the 4th qtr when Bradfords 4th and 8 pass went imcomplete...

This was a SHOOTOUT.

Not a Rivalry...

So to sum up why we didn't fall in the polls...

Number 1 and number 5 played Saturday and number 5 pulled off an upset...

OU stayed at the top because...it probably wouldn't happen again should they play.

Voters believe OU is still a contender.

texas is Colt McCoy.

StoopTroup
10/14/2008, 08:18 AM
Honestly, I don't think losing RR had any impact on any voter who didn't watch the game, or who isn't an OU beat writer. Very few of the media voters actually watch the game, or even read the write-ups very closely afterwards. They'll look at the score, both teams' rankings, and possibly where it was played, but that's about it. Which is why the polls are a $hitty system.

That being said, as much as I love OU football, let's say Mizzou does beat Texas, putting them below us, and then both teams win out. We're ranked higher, but Texas still goes to the CCG. Would you really want a shot at the MNC without even winning the division, let alone the conference? I'm not sure that I would. I know I was in the contingent that bitched about Georgia's consideration last year, and I'm a big proponent of winning your conference before you should be in MNC consideration.
I thought I'd take the opportunity to answer your post directly...

I may be wrong...but what I see in your post is someone who thinks a Playoff is the best way to decide all of this and has made up their mind.

The reason I'm posting is....the polls might be ****ty and yes...you might be right about some of the voters who don't watch games.

I do caution you though...that there are probably 80 percent or more of those voters who do watch games...who do some homework...who make their livelihood off of sports...who may have even played a few downs and who may have even watched every game they could squeeze in.

The College Football system has been flawed for decades...but somehow OU has been able to hang 7 real MNCs up prOUdly. They have come close to hanging even more numerous times.

Would I enjoy seeing us hang number 8 after losing last week?

yOU bet yOUr A$$ I wOUld....

Going undefeated is tough.

Parody in College Football is closing just as it has in College Basketball.

OUr guys didn't take this loss easy...

My guess is they will hit the field Saturday and light up KU.

BOOMER SOONER !

boomermagic
10/14/2008, 09:32 AM

Yes we did but we still need a run game..

OUmillenium
10/14/2008, 09:44 AM
If you put a gun to my head and told me to name the number one reason OU lost I'd say its be the linebacker going down. Every key play after that he could have influenced. I've watched the game three times and that kid is a beast. Breaks my heart to see injuries like that.

Hmm. Thanks for offering that. I have been dismissing how important he was to the defense and blamed most of this loss on our D-Coor and the kickoff return by Shiply. Thanks for the perspective. I have not watched the game again but might have to catch it on instant classics or something.

StoopTroup
10/14/2008, 09:50 AM
Can't believe last Saturday's game isn't being replayed 24/7 right now.

Remember the USC ND game that went to the wire...

You couldn't keep from running into it after the original broadcast.

TheUnnamedSooner
10/14/2008, 10:36 AM
Depends on who wins the Big XII championship game. If it's Mizzery, then they probably have a shot at the Championship game, UT is headed to Glendale where all good teams go to die, and the Sooners are celebrating the holidays in the Holiday.

If it's anbody besides Mizzery, then it's 52 card pick-up. Winner goes to the Fiesta, Texas probably gets another BCS game, and OU is still headed to the Holiday.

I disagree. If OU wins out and ut loses the championship game, OU will get the at large bid over ut. (see Mizzou/KU last year).