PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Crow...

tbl
10/13/2008, 06:59 PM
When he came in, I was very excited and looking forward to what he could do. He's from my hometown (Comanche) and I gleefully told everybody watching the game with me "hey that kids from where I grew up!". Unfortunately he didn't represent all that well, however he was kinda thrown to the wolves. I'm hoping he'll get better throughout the season... if not, we're in trouble down the middle. He was a stud in high school, so lets hope he gets his mojo working again...

PalmBeachSooner1
10/13/2008, 07:02 PM
I felt sorry for him being thrown to the wolves. Hopefully he'll get better, I'm sure he will.

CK Sooner
10/13/2008, 07:04 PM
*see sig

PalmBeachSooner1
10/13/2008, 07:08 PM
Yes, I'm dying to see Austin play

CK Sooner
10/13/2008, 07:09 PM
Yes, I'm dying to see Austin play

He was 10x more hyped coming out of high school then Brandon was.

Austin has potential and is only a freshman, he should get the start.

sooner59
10/13/2008, 07:12 PM
He might have been a stud, but he was a stud in Class 2A. Its a big transition from small town football to best of the best NCAA Div. 1. That was not an ideal game to break the guy in.

CK Sooner
10/13/2008, 07:12 PM
http://videos.utexasclan.com/view.php?id=7059

Horrible Coverage by Crow.

When Reynolds left, we got beat down.

rainiersooner
10/13/2008, 07:45 PM
I'm not going to to beat up on him, so I'll say it very diplomatically and nicely...in fact, I'll quote Kirk Herbstreit: Good coaches see blood in the water and they attack that weakness. You can talk about the bogus personal foul calls, you can talk about the INT they should have given us in the endzone, the failure to convert the fake punt...whatever. We lost because Texas exploited a weakness. My only question is whether there was some adjustment we could have made to at least have shored up that weakness. I'm sure Crow can get better (if you remember from last year's RRS, Reynolds got lit up a ton with similar short routes in the middle against their TE...players can learn not to make the same mistake given time)...I just think he needed more help from the coaches in this game.

PalmBeachSooner1
10/13/2008, 07:51 PM
It all starts at the top. BV must go.

CK Sooner
10/13/2008, 07:52 PM
It all starts at the top. BV must go.

Let's not go that far....

BoulderSooner79
10/13/2008, 07:54 PM
The only adjustment I could see the coaches making is bringing in another safety or DB instead of Crow and forcing UT to run more and throw less of the short passes that were killing us. Their running game really didn't hurt us until time was running out and our D was tired. It was the short passes that kept moving the sticks and wearing out our D. 90 out of the 125+ yards gained by of their running back came on 2 runs after we were already in trouble. UT picked on Crow's coverage from the first play he was in there; it would have been interesting to see if daring them to run would have worked.

PalmBeachSooner1
10/13/2008, 07:55 PM
Let's not go that far....

I was tired of it after West Virginia. It's the same problem that keeps surfacing. You cannot win against good teams running that Tampa 2 zone defense. At least mix it up once in a while. Did you see how long Colt had before throwing to a wide open guy in the endzone?

Keep BV for recruiting, but please hire someone to help him!!

BoulderSooner79
10/13/2008, 08:15 PM
I felt sorry for him being thrown to the wolves. Hopefully he'll get better, I'm sure he will.

I agree and I hate seeing a thread like this dump on a player tossed into a game like this. After the first series, it was obvious that UT was going to keep doing the same thing until we proved we could stop it. It's up to the coaches to make some kind of adjustment.

CK Sooner
10/13/2008, 08:17 PM
I agree and I hate seeing a thread like this dump on a player tossed into a game like this. After the first series, it was obvious that UT was going to keep doing the same thing until we proved we could stop it. It's up to the coaches to make some kind of adjustment.

:rolleyes:

tbl
10/13/2008, 09:32 PM

I agree. It wasn't my intention as I believe it was a horrible situation for him to see his first real game time. Like I said, hopefully he'll get better.

and don't knock 2A ball. Jason White anybody? ;)

zulumarc06mc
10/13/2008, 09:57 PM
I think its important to remember that we settled down at the end with the same base defense against the pass, relatively speaking that is. Remember we held them out of the endzone (when Lamont Robinson should have picked McCoy). And then they put the kill shot in on the ground... an extra DB wouldnt have helped on that.

sooner59
10/13/2008, 10:01 PM
I think its important to remember that we settled down at the end with the same base defense against the pass, relatively speaking that is. Remember we held them out of the endzone (when Lamont Robinson should have picked McCoy). And then they put the kill shot in on the ground... an extra DB wouldnt have helped on that.

A pretty intelligent post for post #1. Ill speck ya for that. Usually first posts are ignorant, but there are exceptions.

zulumarc06mc
10/13/2008, 10:15 PM
Thanks... Ive been on the board for a week or so but just read. Ill try and keep my foot out of my mouth.

Curly Bill
10/13/2008, 10:18 PM
Thanks... Ive been on the board for a week or so but just read. Ill try and keep my foot out of my mouth.

Someone that was willing to read and learn first before jumping into the fray. You could go far on here. :D

CK Sooner
10/13/2008, 10:19 PM
Someone that was willing to read and learn first before jumping into the fray. You could go far on here. :D

Happy 6,00th post!

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii8/janlvtt/Smileys/yay.gif

Curly Bill
10/13/2008, 10:21 PM
Happy 6,00th post!

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii8/janlvtt/Smileys/yay.gif

Oh Shizam! I knew it was coming up, but then I didn't realize that was it. In light of all the negging I've done this weekend, ironic I should get #6000 by praising someone. :D :D :D

edit...and in all fairness to me, I have also dealt out a lot of green SPEK, prolly more then red even.

Soonermagik
10/13/2008, 10:26 PM
The kid was constantly out of position. I know it was his first game, but he really screwed up. I remember when Clayton missed that tackle in the Washington game and they held it against him for like 2 years.

If Box comes in and even plays decent then Crow will get zero playing time IMHO.

CK Sooner
10/13/2008, 10:32 PM
The kid was constantly out of position. I know it was his first game, but he really screwed up. I remember when Clayton missed that tackle in the Washington game and they held it against him for like 2 years.

If Box comes in and even plays decent then Crow will get zero playing time IMHO.

Venables stated the Box would get the first shot at it, so unless something major happens, Crow is done.

BoulderSooner79
10/13/2008, 11:21 PM

The long run was a classic result of a tired defense. I saw the replay a couple of times and UT did nothing special. Our D line couldn't get off their blocks, the LBs were not as quick to pursue and somebody blew their gap assignment. You could feel it coming. My desire to see something different like an extra DB would have had to happen in the 3rd quarter after RR went down and UT showed how to exploit it. If a different scheme would have gotten even 1 stop and forced UT into doing something else, our D would not have given up those big runs in the 4th. No guarantee it would have worked; maybe they just run more successfully. It was just frustrating to watch us continue with something that clearly wasn't working.

zulumarc06mc
10/13/2008, 11:29 PM
Ill agree with that. I do wish we would have tried something outside the base defense right after Reynolds got hurt. Especially since I felt that until we got settled we kinda left Crow out to dry. In all fatigue probably had a lot to do with it... the D was on the field for 37 minutes and change.

And I completely agree that Texas "did nothing special"... all they did was what any offensive coach would do after an injury like that. In our defense the mike LB is the most important in patrolling between the hashes and thats where they killed us.

Fraggle145
10/14/2008, 01:57 AM
Look, I wish people would realize that we put all, and i do mean all, of our hopes in the hands of boys/men that are 18-23yrs old that are barely developed mentally. He's a Soph that has never seen the field except in clean up.

The kid did what he could and was trying to play his fundamentals. You could tell he was nervous as **** and went back to every technique from practice. You can see it in the way he went horizontal across the endzone and didnt follow the receiver on the touchdown.

He did the best he could do given the situation, not everyone can be Jason White when they step in after injury to their first OU/TX. I think its bull**** to dog him out when he was obviously not prepared and playing to the best of his ability. I am sure he feels more awful than most of us could understand about it.

I hope he gets another chance to come back from this and I hope our fanbase doesnt hold the loss against solely him. This falls at least partially if not mostly on the coaches for not having him prepared, both in practice and with gametime.

OUmillenium
10/14/2008, 10:13 AM
I think the posters are not dogging the player, but the way our DC failed to adjust after it was obvious that UTerus was going after the young replacement.

MrJimBeam
10/14/2008, 10:30 AM
He might have been a stud, but he was a stud in Class 2A. Its a big transition from small town football to best of the best NCAA Div. 1. That was not an ideal game to break the guy in.

Remember this when Ronnel Lewis is starting for UCO in 2011.

Taxman71
10/14/2008, 12:08 PM
I don't blame Crow for the loss anymore than I blame Joey Halzle for the loss at Tech last year. Both guys filled in for an injured starter and basically saw their first real game action (not just mop up duty) in their careers. Halzle ended up playing great in the 2nd half of that game. Let's see how Crow improves (if he still has his position) after getting his game film graded for really the first time ever.

A Horn
10/14/2008, 12:12 PM
I know maybe a lot wasn't made about Shipley either before this game to yall, but I think there is no denying he is a very good college WR. Crow was a mismatch for a much shiftier/quicker Shipley, and I think our TOP hurt your run D more than he switching out with Reynolds did, IMO

Taxman71
10/14/2008, 12:19 PM
I know maybe a lot wasn't made about Shipley either before this game to yall, but I think there is no denying he is a very good college WR. Crow was a mismatch for a much shiftier/quicker Shipley, and I think our TOP hurt your run D more than he switching out with Reynolds did, IMO

Reynolds got hurt at about the 11:15 mark of the 3rd quarter. We had already had a 3 and out on defense and scored a TD on offense in the 4 minutes prior. I don't think there is any way to predict what the TOP would have been had Reynolds stayed in the game.

A Horn
10/14/2008, 12:21 PM
Reynolds got hurt at about the 11:15 mark of the 3rd quarter. We had already had a 3 and out on defense and scored a TD on offense in the 4 minutes prior. I don't think there is any way to predict what the TOP would have been had Reynolds stayed in the game.

A very good point.

bosworthsteroidmafia
10/14/2008, 01:21 PM

I could not get over the fact that OU seemingly refused to adjust to cover Shipley. You can hardly blame Crow for that, it was a blatant mismatch. As many others have suggested, we probably would have been much better off putting in another DB/Safety/anybody-with-wheels and forcing them to beat us with their run game. It was heartbreaking to see such a talented defense look so confused and inept after Reynolds went out.

I am really excited to see what Box can bring to the table; you know kansas is going to try and pick up right where texass left off. There should be no excuse for not owning the middle of the field this saturday.

misplacedsooner
10/14/2008, 01:29 PM
putting a another d-back in ryans spot wouldnt of helped unless they changed the defense also. ryan is the leader and playcaller on d and a reserve d back isnt going to be able to do that because he hasnt had the reps and training to do so. all year ryan has successfully put everyone in position and read the offense and changed things up with what he saw the offense doing. to ask a d back to do that that is coming off the bench isnt gonna happen. they went with what they felt was the best option to keep things under control...unfortunately for us it didnt work. i think they may well move lewis to the middle and see what he has learned from ryan, they seemed to work very well togather, and move box to the outside.
mike

bosworthsteroidmafia
10/14/2008, 01:38 PM
putting a another d-back in ryans spot wouldnt of helped unless they changed the defense also. ryan is the leader and playcaller on d and a reserve d back isnt going to be able to do that because he hasnt had the reps and training to do so. all year ryan has successfully put everyone in position and read the offense and changed things up with what he saw the offense doing. to ask a d back to do that that is coming off the bench isnt gonna happen. they went with what they felt was the best option to keep things under control...unfortunately for us it didnt work. i think they may well move lewis to the middle and see what he has learned from ryan, they seemed to work very well togather, and move box to the outside.
mike

Valid point about Ryan being the signal caller, but overall I just disagree. We wouldn't have been any worse off with another DB in there - Crow got beat like a drum, repeatedly. Let one of the other defensive starters call the plays.

RacerX
10/14/2008, 01:46 PM
Nic Harris to MLB
Proctor to Nic's spot

misplacedsooner
10/14/2008, 01:55 PM
very true, we probably wouldnt of been any worse off but so much responsibility comes with calling the plays and if they havent done it..especially in the heat of the game it would be hard to get done. crow did get exploited but at least he had some reps behind him in calling plays...he was just a step slow in the game, thrust into that situation is hard....can he improve> sure he can, he wouldnt be at ou if he didnt have big time talent....will he? im not sure if he will get the chance, im kinda doubting it but he will be getting more reps now even if he doesnt start.

CatfishSooner
10/14/2008, 02:00 PM
When he came in, I was very excited and looking forward to what he could do. He's from my hometown (Comanche) and I gleefully told everybody watching the game with me "hey that kids from where I grew up!". Unfortunately he didn't represent all that well, however he was kinda thrown to the wolves. I'm hoping he'll get better throughout the season... if not, we're in trouble down the middle. He was a stud in high school, so lets hope he gets his mojo working again...

Were you in Section 28?

Pigface1
10/14/2008, 02:54 PM
we probably would have been much better off putting in another DB/Safety/anybody-with-wheels and forcing them to beat us with their run game. It was heartbreaking to see such a talented defense look so confused and inept after Reynolds went out.

Crow was thrown to the wolves, but he was in on a tackle the first play he was in there. So it's not like he froze up, they just exploited his inexperience. Box hasn't been practicing at middle LB.

It would have made a little too much sense to run a strong nickel against their 2 wide sets b/c they sure as hell weren't running it up the middle.

On one red zone TD, you could see all 3 LBs in the end zone with their shoulder pads damn near touching each other and covering nothing.

If BV can't see the field or what's going on, put him up in a box and give him a headset.

Nothing will change b/c BV won't change, and OU will continue to give up 40 or 50 points in the majority of big games. He's not a *bad* coach. I guess he's still at OU after 10 years as a coordinator b/c he's loyal to Bob. Mangino's gone, Leach is gone, Mike Stoops is gone, even Chuck Long is gone b/c people wanted them.

BV doesn't know the definition of the word, "adjust."

PalmBeachSooner1
10/14/2008, 03:33 PM

He didn't belong on that field magik. He probably would agree. Don't rip him tho for yet another bone headed coaching decision ; )

Soonermagik
10/14/2008, 03:47 PM
He didn't belong on that field magik. He probably would agree. Don't rip him tho for yet another bone headed coaching decision ; )

Nasty, you need to calm down.;) You need to read our other board to see what's really going on at middle linebacker. ;) :eek::D

Oh... and if you see a guy named Corey have him call me. :)

MojoRisen
10/14/2008, 03:48 PM
The more I think about it - I think BV is too complicated with his positioning of players - an inch here there- dude you need to make some plays and reads out there and get to the ball- sometimes these inexperienced players get over coached and are afraid to make mistakes- unlike Travis Lewis and Austin Box...

Soonermagik
10/14/2008, 03:49 PM
Nic Harris to MLB
Proctor to Nic's spot

That's correct!! I didn't want to break the news, but that's what is going to happen.

Rumor has it that Austin isn't getting it mentally. However, if Proctor struggles they will likely scrap that idea and Austin will play.

misplacedsooner
10/14/2008, 11:41 PM
majik, i havent heard that rumor about austin yet. my thinking is austin is a very good athlete, not as heavy as ryan but much faster...what really gives me a good feel is he was a very good high school qb and used to reading and making calls and leading a team, given the chance i think he will show up with a sweet game. thats not to say he wont make mistakes...hes young but stick with him and he should be fine...also ryan is gonna be there in practice coaching them up and helping with reads.

OU_Sooners75
10/15/2008, 02:12 AM
I'm not going to to beat up on him, so I'll say it very diplomatically and nicely...in fact, I'll quote Kirk Herbstreit: Good coaches see blood in the water and they attack that weakness. You can talk about the bogus personal foul calls, you can talk about the INT they should have given us in the endzone, the failure to convert the fake punt...whatever. We lost because Texas exploited a weakness. My only question is whether there was some adjustment we could have made to at least have shored up that weakness. I'm sure Crow can get better (if you remember from last year's RRS, Reynolds got lit up a ton with similar short routes in the middle against their TE...players can learn not to make the same mistake given time)...I just think he needed more help from the coaches in this game.

Yes there was....It was called getting into cover 4 or even in cover 3. Something other than staying in cover 2 that leaves the mike LB isolated in the middle.

HopeSpringsEternal
10/15/2008, 03:16 AM
Everybody is dogging Crow here, but N. Harris looked like a deer caught in the headlights as well. Out of position, indecisive, timidity gets you every time. I especially enjoyed the ballerina twirl when he realized he'd been had. It's the same business year in and year out. BV isn't getting it done. They weren't tired, they were ill prepared for what they saw and what Texas had to give them. Vulnerables needs a demotion ASAP.

Taxman71
10/15/2008, 08:54 AM
It is ridiculous to blame Crow for anything. He is only a soph who hasn't played much. All of our LB's and most DB's have looked bad at times early in their careers....Nic Harris at Oregon, Reynolds the last two years against spread offenses, etc. It is part of development. The real problem is the inability to adjust our defense to provide him with help instead of throwing him in there hoping he would play as well as the experienced Reynolds.

Scott D
10/15/2008, 11:03 AM
It is ridiculous to blame Crow for anything. He is only a soph who hasn't played much. All of our LB's and most DB's have looked bad at times early in their careers....Nic Harris at Oregon, Reynolds the last two years against spread offenses, etc. It is part of development. The real problem is the inability to adjust our defense to provide him with help instead of throwing him in there hoping he would play as well as the experienced Reynolds.

you haven't been here much have you? You make more than one small insignificant mistake with this crowd, and you've become fodder for the hyenas.

Taxman71
10/15/2008, 01:14 PM
I am usually the one making the mistake on the SO.

HopeSpringsEternal
10/15/2008, 04:29 PM
You know, this whole Crow business chaps my *** the more I think about it. This guy goes from earning the spot to be THE guy in practice, to being thrown ill-prepared into one of the biggest games in college football year in and year out, to being the scape-goat for BV, and now he doesn't even register as a blip on the radar screen. He's barely above any of the walk-ons. That seems like an awful lot of BS to pile onto one player because he's being taught by a guy that doesn't understand the difference between vindicated and vindictive. Especially when the week before nobody else was apparently close enough to warrant a chance to play. This is starting to look a LOT like a Tommy Bowden-ish move.

stoopified
10/15/2008, 04:38 PM
He might have been a stud, but he was a stud in Class 2A. Its a big transition from small town football to best of the best NCAA Div. 1. That was not an ideal game to break the guy in.Teddy Lehman(Ft. Gibson),Billy Sims(Hooks),Jason White (Tuttle)Trent Smith(Clinton),THE Selmons(Eufala), these are just a few smalltown boys who made it big at D-1.A stud is a stud at any level.

Sooner04
10/15/2008, 04:44 PM
David Overstreet (Big Sandy, TX)
Auston English (Canadian, TX)
Curtis Lofton (Kingfisher, OK)

Hell, how big is Palestine, TX?

Socrefbek
10/15/2008, 04:50 PM
Oklahoma used to run a 4 - 2 - 5 package on defense when TRRW and company were there. Seems if the coaches were on top of their business they would be prepared to switch things up to maximize their personnel to account for injuries in key spots where the depth is lacking ... like ... oh I don't know ... Middle Freakin' Linebacker !!!! :mad:

PalmBeachSooner1
10/15/2008, 05:07 PM
Nasty, you need to calm down.;) You need to read our other board to see what's really going on at middle linebacker. ;) :eek::D

Oh... and if you see a guy named Corey have him call me. :)

I know what's going on at middle linebacker and who is going to start. ; )

HopeSpringsEternal
10/15/2008, 10:20 PM
I know what's going on at middle linebacker and who is going to start. ; )

Are they going to lay all blame on him when they've got 3 wide open receivers being guarded by 4 defenders (3 of which are covering air and out of position) and his happens to be the one they throw to?

Curly Bill
10/15/2008, 10:24 PM
David Overstreet (Big Sandy, TX)
Auston English (Canadian, TX)
Curtis Lofton (Kingfisher, OK)

Hell, how big is Palestine, TX?

Palestine High School is class 4-A.