PDA

View Full Version : Dallas radio on Venables

Curly Bill
10/13/2008, 04:59 PM
Randy Galloway, well-known sports radio guy out of DFW on talking about the RRS, says...

If you're the Oklahoma defensive coordinator Venables how do you just stand there and continue to watch Shipley catch ball after ball? He also added if you've got two guys killing you, Shipley and Cosby, why not try to take one of them away?

Galloway is no OU fan I might add, nor is he a big saxet fan, but like many of us on here he was puzzled by what our defense was/wasn't doing.

So...not only do we see it, but so too do others outside OU fandom.

lloyd45
10/13/2008, 05:00 PM
[ ] crosby
[x] cosby

Curly Bill
10/13/2008, 05:02 PM
[ ] crosby
[x] cosby

That's what I put -- look.

lloyd45
10/13/2008, 05:05 PM
gotta love the edit button ;)

NormanPride
10/13/2008, 05:07 PM
Until Reynolds was out, I think we had held Shipley to 40 yards, which isn't bad. Once Reynolds was out, they picked on Crow over and over and over and over...

lloyd45
10/13/2008, 05:08 PM
Yep, the single most reason you guys lost the game imo. Every big play after that was through the middle.

Curly Bill
10/13/2008, 05:09 PM
We were obviously better with RR in there, but saxet was still getting in the groove against our D.

the_ouskull
10/13/2008, 05:09 PM
Galloway is a piece of flung monkey poo stuck to the wall of mediocrity.

As for what he said, well, yeah, duh. It's because our coaches seemingly REFUSE to scheme in-game. If their pre-game schemes don't work, they tend to lose.

the_ouskull

NCSooner18
10/13/2008, 05:10 PM
"So...not only do we see it, but so too do others outside OU fandom"

Even an ignorant lush like Galloway.

I remember wondering the same thing when whichever Woods brother torched us way back when. It's similar to the attitude Billy Tubbs used to have about opposing players that would light his teams up. Refusal to double team or even pay special attention to a player who is killing you.

Curly Bill
10/13/2008, 05:11 PM
So, RR was out. Could we not have slid a safety Shipley's way, you know since he was the one killing us and all that. A good DC would have made the adjustment.

Curly Bill
10/13/2008, 05:13 PM
So...if the mediocre Randy Galloway can see it why can't our highly compensated DC see it?

...or dare I say: our even more highly compensated head coach?

lloyd45
10/13/2008, 05:15 PM
One thing I would like to say In Texas' defense. Coming into this game Cosby and Shipley were easily the most underrated wide receiver duo in all of college football. So stopping them is easier said then done. I went on massive monkey tilt when at halftime they called them no names.

CK Sooner
10/13/2008, 05:17 PM
gotta love the edit button ;)

Shut up.

:texan:

Curly Bill
10/13/2008, 05:20 PM
One thing I would like to say In Texas' defense. Coming into this game Cosby and Shipley were easily the most underrated wide receiver duo in all of college football. So stopping them is easier said then done. I went on massive monkey tilt when at halftime they called them no names.

They were underrated because they'd never done much of anything, guess we took care of that. :mad:

stoops the eternal pimp
10/13/2008, 05:22 PM
the way that Jermichael Finley was underrated before last year's game

lloyd45
10/13/2008, 05:23 PM
Yea but Finley was young. Both Shipley and Cosby have been around for a while and were getting absolutely no love.

Curly Bill
10/13/2008, 05:23 PM
the way that Jermichael Finley was underrated before last year's game

Our defense has a certain knack for making stars out of pretty much ordinary players.

Curly Bill
10/13/2008, 05:25 PM
Yea but Finley was young. Both Shipley and Cosby have been around for a while and were getting absolutely no love.

They'd done nothing to get that love...

...until OU's soft cover 2 zone defense rolled into Dallas.

lloyd45
10/13/2008, 05:27 PM

I disagree. Their career stats are very good. They just aren't flashy players.

Curly Bill
10/13/2008, 05:29 PM
I disagree. Their career stats are very good. They just aren't flashy players.

Without even knowing what those stats are, maybe you'll post those for us, I don't think they were all that impressive. Anyway, we certainly allowed them to pad those stats yesterday.

If one of them gets drafted, and I doubt it, they should send Brent Venables a check.

lloyd45
10/13/2008, 05:32 PM
I think both of them have the potential to play in the NFL especially because of their special team abilities. I don't think either would be a superstar or anything though. I doubt both get drafted but it wouldn't shock me.

fwsooner22
10/13/2008, 05:38 PM
Shipley had the game of his life...........Cosby is freakin superstar....

The Maestro
10/13/2008, 05:52 PM
...........Cosby is freakin superstar....

Are you referring to BILL Cosby???

Quan? Ah....no! Good, but not a "freakin superstar".

Curly Bill
10/13/2008, 05:53 PM
Are you referring to BILL Cosby???

Quan? Ah....no! Good, but not a "freakin superstar".

Yep, not even close.

The Maestro
10/13/2008, 05:57 PM
Boy, having to say, "Randy Galloway is exactly right!" is just the icing on this crapcake of a few days!

Curly Bill
10/13/2008, 05:58 PM
Boy, having to say, "Randy Galloway is exactly right!" is just the icing on this crapcake of a few days!

I know, right? :D

lloyd45
10/13/2008, 06:04 PM

lol

JLEW1818
10/13/2008, 06:32 PM
Loyd Christmas

PalmBeachSooner1
10/13/2008, 07:27 PM
Randy Galloway, well-known sports radio guy out of DFW on talking about the RRS, says...

If you're the Oklahoma defensive coordinator Venables how do you just stand there and continue to watch Shipley catch ball after ball? He also added if you've got two guys killing you, Shipley and Cosby, why not try to take one of them away?

Galloway is no OU fan I might add, nor is he a big saxet fan, but like many of us on here he was puzzled by what our defense was/wasn't doing.

Is that the same tool that used to rip Switzer when he was in Dallas? He's a fool.

goingoneight
10/13/2008, 07:32 PM
I guess that mastermind defensive coordinator for UT should have slid a safety over Manuel Johnson's way too, huh?

Let's see, in this game I saw us lead by eleven not once but twice... Texas refused to go away... that's what great teams do. I also see Colt McCoy, who only gets negged around here for being a whorn, is one of the best true playmakers in college football. I saw that we had not one, but two injured DTs coming into this game and in the midst of it, against a top five team mind you, we lost the heart and soul of OUr defense. From that point on, we decided we needed to turn the ball over twice and punt when it was stupid to do so.

We got out-coached and out-played. Not too hard to imagine happening when the opposition plays virtually mistake-free and eager to win.

Winner of the RRS is 95% of the time the team that wins the field position battle, the turnover battle and the team who owns the ground game. We lost all three of those and still managed 35 points against the "great" defensive coordinator of which everyone around here is now bowing down to.

In a game of inches when the ball bounces your way, Knall gets that first down, Robinson holds onto the damn ball and the entire RB stable gets more than just a few inches themselves.

So I see us losing the turnover battle, giving up a cheap touchdown AGAIN on special teams, losing the heart and soul of OUr defense and most of the rest of the team puking down their legs for three quarters. Oh, and that happened yet again in a big game. We can't have bad breaks against a crappy team, can we?

If anything, I think at this point it's a reality Stoops and Co. can stop avoiding that OUr special teams unit is killing us and we've got to demand more of OUr ground game. Not ask... demand. The talent is there, it's just soft and maybe bought into it's press clippings a bit too much. This is the kind of revealing matchup that can help us turn around OUr season like we did against Oregon in 2006. We may just not be the best team in college football this year. But we're better than we're showing, and that's not scheme... it's effort. When the right effort is put out there, we shut down great teams like we did in 2004 against UT, like we did in 2005 against Oregon and like we did last year against Mizzou in the BIG 12 CCG just to name a few examples.

This team heard from every single source known to man this weekend that they were going to just roll over the #5 team in the country, that Texas didn't have the talent to win, that they were #1 and favored. Nevermind those two star DTs being a bit sore and maybe off their game, nevermind the extinct running game, let's go all Mizzou/Tech-ish and just try and out-score a team! Air Bradford!

IMO, it's far from just the defense that needs improvement, and once again Brent Venables is taking the heat for a team effort 48 yards rushing, two turnovers and poor officiating. He's got blame, but so does KW, guys missing their blocks, tackles and catches. Anyone happen to see Ryan Broyles give up on that deep ball? He let the UT guys pretty much just walk into it. I guarantee you Brent Venables had nothing to do with that. If you can't catch it, you don't just jog off. Take a 15-yarder and knock the DB's block off. What about Gresham's whiffed block on the fake punt? You know... lesser athletes have made that block before, and I've seen it. Even in the Brent Venables "era."

MyT Oklahoma
10/13/2008, 07:41 PM
^^ Valid points.

Jason White's Third Knee
10/13/2008, 07:47 PM
Randy Galloway is an *******. He probably just reads these forums to form his drunken assed opinion.

Lott's Bandana
10/13/2008, 07:52 PM
I guess that mastermind defensive coordinator for UT should have slid a safety over Manuel Johnson's way too, huh?

Let's see, in this game I saw us lead by eleven not once but twice... Texas refused to go away... that's what great teams do. I also see Colt McCoy, who only gets negged around here for being a whorn, is one of the best true playmakers in college football. I saw that we had not one, but two injured DTs coming into this game and in the midst of it, against a top five team mind you, we lost the heart and soul of OUr defense. From that point on, we decided we needed to turn the ball over twice and punt when it was stupid to do so.

We got out-coached and out-played. Not too hard to imagine happening when the opposition plays virtually mistake-free and eager to win.

Winner of the RRS is 95% of the time the team that wins the field position battle, the turnover battle and the team who owns the ground game. We lost all three of those and still managed 35 points against the "great" defensive coordinator of which everyone around here is now bowing down to.

In a game of inches when the ball bounces your way, Knall gets that first down, Robinson holds onto the damn ball and the entire RB stable gets more than just a few inches themselves.

So I see us losing the turnover battle, giving up a cheap touchdown AGAIN on special teams, losing the heart and soul of OUr defense and most of the rest of the team puking down their legs for three quarters. Oh, and that happened yet again in a big game. We can't have bad breaks against a crappy team, can we?

If anything, I think at this point it's a reality Stoops and Co. can stop avoiding that OUr special teams unit is killing us and we've got to demand more of OUr ground game. Not ask... demand. The talent is there, it's just soft and maybe bought into it's press clippings a bit too much. This is the kind of revealing matchup that can help us turn around OUr season like we did against Oregon in 2006. We may just not be the best team in college football this year. But we're better than we're showing, and that's not scheme... it's effort. When the right effort is put out there, we shut down great teams like we did in 2004 against UT, like we did in 2005 against Oregon and like we did last year against Mizzou in the BIG 12 CCG just to name a few examples.

This team heard from every single source known to man this weekend that they were going to just roll over the #5 team in the country, that Texas didn't have the talent to win, that they were #1 and favored. Nevermind those two star DTs being a bit sore and maybe off their game, nevermind the extinct running game, let's go all Mizzou/Tech-ish and just try and out-score a team! Air Bradford!

IMO, it's far from just the defense that needs improvement, and once again Brent Venables is taking the heat for a team effort 48 yards rushing, two turnovers and poor officiating. He's got blame, but so does KW, guys missing their blocks, tackles and catches. Anyone happen to see Ryan Broyles give up on that deep ball? He let the UT guys pretty much just walk into it. I guarantee you Brent Venables had nothing to do with that. If you can't catch it, you don't just jog off. Take a 15-yarder and knock the DB's block off. What about Gresham's whiffed block on the fake punt? You know... lesser athletes have made that block before, and I've seen it. Even in the Brent Venables "era."

I don't agree with a lot of that, but that is what this board is for and 8 gets his shot at purging, just like the rest of us. Plus, he'll be screaming Boomer with the rest of us Saturday when the Fighting Manginos hit Nompton.

rainiersooner
10/13/2008, 08:01 PM

Interesting that I was trying to educate myself on different cover schemes while perusing the board tonight...where else do I go but that trust wikipedia site...hmmm, what do they say about Cover 2? Read on:

The main weakness of the Cover 2 shell occurs in the middle of the field between the safeties. The safeties attempt to gain width upon the snap of the ball to cover any long passes to quick wide receivers down the sideline. This movement creates a natural hole between the safeties that can be attacked. By sending a receiver (usually a tight end) into the hole, the offense forces the safety to make a decision: play the vulnerable hole in the middle of the field or help out on the wide receiver. The quarterback reads the safety's decision and decides on the best matchup (i.e. which mismatch is better: TE vs S or WR vs CB).

WHY DID WE ALLOW THEM TO KEEP EXPLOITING THIS??? :confused: And by the way, this is a sincere question - there are folks on this board who know a heck of a lot more about football than I do...so WTF???

BoulderSooner79
10/13/2008, 08:07 PM

The coverage I saw on ESPN and FSN leading up to the game talked about these guys constantly. I've also seen them play alot in other games and they are both very good. The irksome part for me (as an OU fan) is that neither are deep threats. Add the lack of dangerous TE and OU should have tried to cover these guys tightly. UT did hit one downfield to Cosby against Jackson in man coverage, but it took a perfect pass. The short passes in the middle were easy pitch and catch and just killed us.

BIG_IKE
10/13/2008, 08:14 PM
Nobody's???

I guess no one remembers Quan Cosby playing in the NAtional Championship game. Shipley and McCoy were on the roster as well even though they did not play.

Cosby has almost 4,000 all purpose yards and was 2nd Team All-Conference last year...between him and Shipley they have almost 6,000 yards of total offense over their careers.

Not seeing how they are nobody's.

footballfanatic
10/13/2008, 08:18 PM
FYI, Shipley is the second leading reciever in the history of high school in the United States. he broke every state and many national records at Burnet with his old QB, the current starter for A&M. (Can't recall his name--he was ruined by Franchione)

Curly Bill
10/13/2008, 08:38 PM
Is that the same tool that used to rip Switzer when he was in Dallas? He's a fool.

Fool he may be, but even he can see what's wrong with our D. Why can't the guys that are supposedly not fools and are actually in a position to do something about it see it?

stoops the eternal pimp
10/13/2008, 08:41 PM
Switzer and Dale Hansen are the real buddies

lloyd45
10/13/2008, 08:41 PM
FYI, Shipley is the second leading reciever in the history of high school in the United States. he broke every state and many national records at Burnet with his old QB, the current starter for A&M. (Can't recall his name--he was ruined by Franchione)

Stephen McGee and boy he has to regret going to College Station. Absolutely ruined.

sooneron
10/13/2008, 08:48 PM

and yet his pos ranking by rivals was 18. I thought Shipley would be good out of hs, but his injuries kept him back. He's finally healthy, saying that he was lighting it up this year or was all world before last Sat is laughable. He's reaching his potential- solid receiver that probably won't play on Sundays. How sad is that fact for our defense?

mojorisen2014
10/13/2008, 09:58 PM

Galloway is a punk, I remember the $hit he use to talk on The King when he was in Dallas.

GottaHavePride
10/13/2008, 10:03 PM
Our defense has a certain knack for making stars out of pretty much ordinary players.

I remember when we used to make nobodys out of star players. (See Chris Weinke, Chris Sims, Seneca Wallace, etc.)

Galloway is a punk, I remember the $hit he use to talk on The King when he was in Dallas.

Just 'cause he's a punk don't make him not right.

Curly Bill
10/13/2008, 10:04 PM

Throw poo at the messenger if you want to, but I thought it funny that someone besides many of us on here was talking about the lousy job Venables did Saturday.

Curly Bill
10/13/2008, 10:06 PM
I remember when we used to make nobodys out of star players. (See Chris Weinke, Chris Sims, Seneca Wallace, etc.)

I liked those days a lot. Hope we'll get'em back someday. :(

Just 'cause he's a punk don't make him not right.

True dat

mojorisen2014
10/13/2008, 10:07 PM
Throw poo at the messenger if you want to, but I thought it funny that someone besides many of us on here was talking about the lousy job Venables did Saturday.

Nothing against you, I just dont like Galloway and whoever he is ragging on

mojorisen2014
10/13/2008, 10:07 PM
or praising for that matter

Curly Bill
10/13/2008, 10:08 PM
Nothing against you, I just dont like Galloway and whoever he is ragging on

I didn't like Galloway bagging on the King either, but in this instance I happen to think he was dead-on.

IronSooner
10/13/2008, 11:40 PM

Yep. And going into that game, there were only a handfull of guys that could really pose problems for us. Shipley and Cosby come to mind. They don't really have any other meaningful receivers, nor any real talented tailbacks. 3 players on offense, that's it. QB = QB+RB, WR, WR. That's it. Gameplan for those 3 guys. I still don't get what's so hard about that. And hell, at halftime, decide to take away Shipley and take your chances with Cosby if you have to. Or do nothing and get killed.

35 points should be enough to beat anybody. True, we had no ground game, it was a joke. But 35 points still beats most teams. Giving up 40+ to anybody is unacceptable. Period. That will lose you just about every game you play. I've clung to the notion that BV isn't the problem, but this has been going on for years. It's not the players, the players have come and gone and it continues.

Our policy of allowing WRs to catch the ball and then just tackling them is crap. Essentially we're playing the odds that at some point within 80 yards, the offense will screw up of its own accord, and we'll just cash in on their mistakes. Which works for mediocre teams. Good/great teams don't shoo themselves in the foot like we hope, march 80 yards, and score on us repeatedly. We don't cause turnovers, we don't punish people, we just try to bend without breaking, but in so doing, bend until we break. Until we change our philosophy and find somebody to A. coach our secondary better, and B. coach our special teams better, we're going to continue to choke against equivalent (not necessarily better) competition.

UT was a very winnable game. Don't jump offsides, don't give up a 96-yard kick return, and learn to cover the 1 guy who's eating your defense alive. Pick 2 and you win.

KingBarry
10/14/2008, 09:59 AM
OK, I've been away from a computer for the past three days, so let me open up my Red River Fiasco comments with "Crap, Crap, Crap."

Now let's talk DC. Curly, Iron Sooner, et al, let me say I am right with you guys on this. The defensive meltdown is just too much like WVa, Boise, etc. And i am getting damn fed up of it.

Iron -- a question. You state that "Our policy of allowing WRs to catch the ball and then just tackling them is crap." Is that actually the policy or philosophy of the OU staff? Do you know that for a fact, or are you guessing that is the policy by watching them play. Either way, I think you are right, just wondering where the info comes from.

But let me play Devil's advocate regarding Venables. In his defense, I would say the following: In the age of the spread, defenses get lit up. That's just the way it is. When a wide open attack is working, nobody has yet figured out how to shut it down. Look at the national scoreboard. Nowadays many games are shootouts.

Second, a number of Texas drives were kept alive purely by Colt McCoy's playmaking. He hits over 80% of his passes. He threw one strike through a 2-ft wide crack between two defensive backs that most top-notch QBs couldn't thread against blocking dummies in practice. When a QB is that accurate, he really can't be stopped. And McCoy can run.

Divert LBs or a safety to the rush, he makes a quick throw to a wide open receiver who can run for big yards. Drop your LBs back into coverage, and he avoids the pass rush and kills you with his legs.

When you talk about moving an extra DB to cover Cosby and/or Shipley, that leaves something else open. It's a maddening challenge.

I don't know, maybe I am talking myself into reconciling with Venables, again, but I am just fed up with getting tanked in big games.

OUmillenium
10/14/2008, 10:00 AM
Yep. And going into that game, there were only a handfull of guys that could really pose problems for us. Shipley and Cosby come to mind. They don't really have any other meaningful receivers, nor any real talented tailbacks. 3 players on offense, that's it. QB = QB+RB, WR, WR. That's it. Gameplan for those 3 guys. I still don't get what's so hard about that. And hell, at halftime, decide to take away Shipley and take your chances with Cosby if you have to. Or do nothing and get killed.

35 points should be enough to beat anybody. True, we had no ground game, it was a joke. But 35 points still beats most teams. Giving up 40+ to anybody is unacceptable. Period. That will lose you just about every game you play. I've clung to the notion that BV isn't the problem, but this has been going on for years. It's not the players, the players have come and gone and it continues.

Our policy of allowing WRs to catch the ball and then just tackling them is crap. Essentially we're playing the odds that at some point within 80 yards, the offense will screw up of its own accord, and we'll just cash in on their mistakes. Which works for mediocre teams. Good/great teams don't shoo themselves in the foot like we hope, march 80 yards, and score on us repeatedly. We don't cause turnovers, we don't punish people, we just try to bend without breaking, but in so doing, bend until we break. Until we change our philosophy and find somebody to A. coach our secondary better, and B. coach our special teams better, we're going to continue to choke against equivalent (not necessarily better) competition.

UT was a very winnable game. Don't jump offsides, don't give up a 96-yard kick return, and learn to cover the 1 guy who's eating your defense alive. Pick 2 and you win.

Great stuff, I totally agree.

TMcGee86
10/14/2008, 11:16 AM
Galloway luuuuuvvvs Bob Stoops.

I suppose that makes him an asshat as well?

Look, he rags on every head coach of the Cowboys. He's a columnist in Dallas, that's basically his job.

And let's not act like Switzer was beyond reproach during his time in Dallas.

HopeSpringsEternal
10/14/2008, 01:43 PM
We were obviously better with RR in there, but saxet was still getting in the groove against our D.

I completely agree. They were getting ready to dirty dance on us whether RR is there or not.

HopeSpringsEternal
10/14/2008, 01:50 PM
^^ Valid points.

If the incompetent D hadn't given up 45 of them.

Soonerfan85
10/14/2008, 03:24 PM
It became obvious to me late in the 3rd quarter the only way we were going to stop Colt McCoy on this day was to run a couple of extra LBs into the game disguised as hash marks. Maybe then we could have contained him. Props to the Texas QB for having the game of his life. At least we didn't suck as bad as LSU!

MamaMia
10/14/2008, 03:31 PM
gotta love the edit button ;):rolleyes:

MamaMia
10/14/2008, 03:32 PM
The success of our D should not depend on one player being knocked out of the game.

sooneron
10/14/2008, 04:23 PM
The success of our O should not depend on one player being knocked out of the game.

can you say that if it is Sam?

Sooner04
10/14/2008, 04:47 PM
You ought to be able to adjust, regardless of which player you lose. We won the '85 Texas game without Casillas. We won the GoC II with Charles Thompson and Rotnei Anderson in place of Jamelle and Lydell. White was unproven when he came in and guided us to a win over UT in '01, and Hybl was the previous year's goat when he came in to beat Alabmuh in '02.

For us to claim we lost because of Reynolds is nuts. We didn't cover Shipley early, and we didn't cover him late. I'm still trying to figure out why we didn't put someone on him on the LoS and hit him right after every snap. At least do something to disrupt the middle. Nope, we just kept that little sinkhole in the middle WIDE open for business.

It was a helpless feeling in Section 2, I'll promise you that.

TopDawg
10/14/2008, 04:50 PM
Shipley would've gotten his yards no matter what. Maybe not as many if Reynolds would've been in there, but he would've gotten them. The reason we left him alone so much confounds me as much as if not more than any of you.

Losing Reynolds really hurt us more in the running game. They don't break off that long one with Ryan in there.

planosooner
10/14/2008, 05:18 PM
Cosby is a solid WR yet doesnt get much media attention. He is about the best possesion reciever that I can recall Texas having in many years. He just doesn't drop many passes that come his way. I'm not sure we would be considered a superstar...but he is a hell of a WR as a "go to" guy and makes some great catches at times.

The Maestro
10/14/2008, 05:50 PM
Saying Shipley is the leading receiver in high school football history has all the makings of an Uncle Rico moment one day in his future.

If this Texas team goes unbeaten I will consider it the most shocking season in recent memory...maybe since our run in 2000. Do you think Shipley and Cosby would play in front of Roy Williams or B.J. Johnson? Nope. How about any of these backs in front of Ced or Jamaal? No chance. Colt is a difference maker, but it isn't rocket science and somebody will slow them down while attacking their defensive backs and not their defensive tackles with inside running plays over and over and over and over and...

UTgolfer
10/14/2008, 06:05 PM
Saying Shipley is the leading receiver in high school football history has all the makings of an Uncle Rico moment one day in his future.

If this Texas team goes unbeaten I will consider it the most shocking season in recent memory...maybe since our run in 2000. Do you think Shipley and Cosby would play in front of Roy Williams or B.J. Johnson? Nope. How about any of these backs in front of Ced or Jamaal? No chance. Colt is a difference maker, but it isn't rocket science and somebody will slow them down while attacking their defensive backs and not their defensive tackles with inside running plays over and over and over and over and...

In front or Williams...neither has a chance. As for Johnson...I'd say the three are equivalent...more a function of package and down. You nailed it regarding RB...their butts would be full of pine splinters from all the sitting they would do. Colt is clearly the difference maker. As for how to stop us...would have a slightly different take....got to slow down the pass rush which will expose the DB's. May be saying the same thing from a slightly different angle. Think we had a sophmore, a redshirt freshman, and 2 true freshmen on the field to end the game. And if UT runs the table...the only person more shocked than you will be me.

wishbonesooner
10/14/2008, 07:05 PM
So, let me get this straight. The guy that everyone was blaming for our defensive troubles last season is now the guy we can't win without?
venables seems to have his scheme set for a game, and nothing short of Armageddon can make him adjust. Is that an ego thing or just sloppy coaching?

Curly Bill
10/14/2008, 10:20 PM
venables seems to have his scheme set for a game, and nothing short of Armageddon can make him adjust. Is that an ego thing or just sloppy coaching?

Yes and Yes. :D

colinreturn
10/14/2008, 10:30 PM
galloway sucks, but he is right.

103.3 is a joke. you should hear fake galloway and hansen on the ticket. its spot on the joke that is galloway and company

tulsaoilerfan
10/14/2008, 10:32 PM
It became obvious to me late in the 3rd quarter the only way we were going to stop Colt McCoy on this day was to run a couple of extra LBs into the game disguised as hash marks. Maybe then we could have contained him. Props to the Texas QB for having the game of his life. At least we didn't suck as bad as LSU!

The whole Texas offense had the day of their lives; i don't recall any penalties being called, McCoy was more accurate than i ever recall seeing him, i don't recall any catchable passes being dropped, and what pressure we got was when we had good coverage, not because of line protection problems

Curly Bill
10/14/2008, 10:35 PM
galloway sucks, but he is right.

103.3 is a joke. you should hear fake galloway and hansen on the ticket. its spot on the joke that is galloway and company

I heard it one time, they pretty much nailed it. :D

St. Louis Sooner
10/14/2008, 11:03 PM
it's funny as hell talking to my Dad about BV ... he's been watching/attending ou football games since WWII and without any hesitation he always says, "We need to fire Brent Venables and get someone in there who can coach!" god bless my Dad

Curly Bill
10/14/2008, 11:07 PM
it's funny as hell talking to my Dad about BV ... he's been watching/attending ou football games since WWII and without any hesitation he always says, "We need to fire Brent Venables and get someone in there who can coach!" god bless my Dad

Sounds like a voice of wisdom. :)

St. Louis Sooner
10/14/2008, 11:14 PM
you know those ex-CEO types : If someone can't perform, get rid of 'em and get someone in there who can do the job. (simple old school!!)

Curly Bill
10/14/2008, 11:17 PM
you know those ex-CEO types : If someone can't perform, get rid of 'em and get someone in there who can do the job. (simple old school!!)

Bob is very much looking more like the loyal friend type, then he is the CEO type.