PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone get their car towed at the game?

sooner518
10/13/2008, 02:06 PM
http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/10/texas-state-fairgoers-pay-to-p.html

Sorry if anyone else has posted this. I didnt see it

Texas State fairgoers pay to park and get towed

It was a bizarre scene Saturday outside the State Fair of Texas on its biggest day of the year.

Dozens, maybe even hundreds, of visitors to the fair, many from out of town who had come to see the big Texas-OU showdown, had their vehicles towed after parking in what they thought were legitimate parking areas.

They told reporter Stella Chavez and me that they each paid $10 to park in various lots outside the fairgrounds. And then they had to pay $200 to a local towing company, Lone Star Auto Services, to get their cars back.

People wearing orange vests and waving flags directed motorists to park in a lot off Haskell Avenue near Exposition, said Rachael Escamilla. But when she walked back to her car around 10 p.m., it was gone. Someone from a nearby business told her it had been towed. She said it then took her and her mother 45 minutes to walk to Lone Star's impound lot.

"There were tons of cars there," Ms. Escamilla said of where she parked her car. "They were flagging us in. It looked legit."

"There were no signs. Nothing," said her mother, Yolanda Jaramillo. "It's not right."

All of those we spoke with said the same thing: they were waved into the lots just like any other special event parking. They didn't see any "No Parking" signs. But when they returned hours later, large "No Parking" signs were placed prominently in the lots. And the lots -- once full with cars -- were left empty.

What started out as a day of intense rivalry ended with Longhorn and Sooner fans united in anger against Lone Star Auto Services, of Dallas, on Beeman Ave. A woman who answered the phone at Lone Star declined to comment. You can reach the company at 214-428-6900.

Pegasus News had an interesting piece about Lone Star earlier this year.

Many had thought their cars were stolen. Some wandered on Haskell Avenue outside the fairgrounds, looking confused and worried.

From the afternoon until late into the night, Dallas police officers picked up families, young couples and football fans of all ages and brought them to Lone Star's property, where they had to wait in line for up to five hours to get their vehicles back.

At 11 p.m., some people waiting in line had been there since 4 p.m. One girl was in tears. Some people sat on the ground tired and frustrated.

Others had infants and young children, said Carla Fults, of Burleson. Police officers dropped off water for them earlier in the day, she said.

"It looked legit," said Tara Fults, her daughter.

Ms. Fults said she and her friends noticed a no parking sign nailed to a tree upon returning to their vehicle.

"We would have seen it and everyone else would have seen it," Ms. Fults said.

Many suspected a scam. They were told they couldn't pay with credit cards. Cash and debit only. The police wouldn't do anything about it. Officers told them to contact the City of Dallas, which regulates towing, to file a complaint.

A Dallas police officer who dropped off another family at Lone Star's lot after 11 p.m. Saturday told us they had caught someone placing a "no parking" sign in one of the lots. He said he didn't have any more information about it.

The officer also said State Fair officials were not happy about what happened.

That's not surprising.

The annual Texas-OU game is one of the city's premiere sporting events and a big draw for the fair. The Red River Rivalry between the University of Texas and the University of Oklahoma attracts the biggest single-day crowds.

Heidi Raines of Longview stood in line to get her car back Saturday night. She was still in tears about what happened. She said the "No Parking" signs mysteriously appeared when she showed up to get her car only to find it gone. She said she was afraid her car was stolen. A police officer found her and brought her to Lone Star's lot.

Nannette Lopez of Austin said Lone Star Wreckers were pulling 10 cars an hour into the impound lot. She said the crowd of people waiting for their cars became angry and unruly earlier in the day and that police officers had to come out to keep the peace.

Someone had thrown something at the service shack, shattering a window, she said.

The city's Public Works and Transportation department regulates towing companies. Ricardo Galceran, is the director. He can be reached at 214-948-4192.

yermom
10/13/2008, 02:11 PM
i just parked in the hood and got blocked in

i didn't even think about people staying after the game to be at the fair, etc...

it took me like 3 hours to get back to Lewisville after the game

Saturday sucked monkey balls

:succs:

Half a Hundred
10/13/2008, 02:12 PM
Tow companies are scum. Nothing about this story surprises me in the least bit.

Jason White's Third Knee
10/13/2008, 02:22 PM
Take the train or take a shuttle bus. I hate doing all that other **** anymore. Stupid scammers are parking you in to other people's lawns and ****. Hell, I remember when your car was in jeopardy of being on blocks when you got back to it.

HappyClappyMackBrown
10/13/2008, 02:25 PM
Entrepreneurs at there finest!

Seriously though, what a bunch of scum bags.
But there is an important lesson here.
which is, Take public transportation:
No D.U.I.S, No parking fees, less traffic, no headaches.

snp
10/13/2008, 02:39 PM
214-428-6900 just got a bunch of pizzas ordered to their address. I hate towtruck companies.

salth2o
10/13/2008, 02:47 PM
I always park in one of the lots provided by the State Fair.

Half a Hundred
10/13/2008, 02:57 PM
Next year, don't even drive to Fair Park. The Green Line light rail will be running there from downtown. It makes a ton more sense to either park at a park and ride out in the 'burbs or downtown and take the train than it is to drive and deal with that headache.

yermom
10/13/2008, 02:59 PM

it seems that's what they thought they were doing

bonkuba
10/13/2008, 03:04 PM

All were full.....packed. Only Choice was to park "outside".

S008NER
10/13/2008, 03:08 PM
Lone Star might need all those bills for their legal defense fund.

TexasLidig8r
10/13/2008, 03:13 PM
This is a glorious class action lawsuit just waiting to happen! One my legal brethren is going to make some coin off of this boondoggle.

sooner518
10/13/2008, 03:26 PM
This is a glorious class action lawsuit just waiting to happen! One my legal brethren is going to make some coin off of this boondoggle.

no ambulances or diet pills involved, so you dont want any part of this, right Lid? :D

TexasLidig8r
10/13/2008, 03:33 PM
no ambulances or diet pills involved, so you dont want any part of this, right Lid? :D

Hell.. I'd have the lawsuit filed this afternoon if I was approached...

I hate tow truck companies.

Have a judgment of $35,000 against one we are collecting right now... towed a client's car... damaged it... cost about $3K in damages.. by the time the court trebled the damage figure and awarded attorney's fees... it hit that level.

Taxman71
10/13/2008, 03:39 PM
What's the statute of limitations on towing companies because I know alot of people who would like to throw some bricks in the window of L&A towing in Norman from their antics in the early 90's. Their tow trucks just trolled through campus waiting for the call.

HappyClappyMackBrown
10/13/2008, 03:48 PM
The best thing to do, is to just steal your car back from the impound lot. Probably hard to do in Dallas, but its definitely doable in some of the norman ones.

lloyd45
10/13/2008, 03:57 PM
wow thats bs.

47Wins
10/13/2008, 05:03 PM
Sounds like time to contact the Texas Attorney General, and whatever commission licenses towing companies.

PalmBeachSooner1
10/13/2008, 07:01 PM
214-428-6900 just got a bunch of pizzas ordered to their address. I hate towtruck companies.

That's what I'm talking about! LOL

badger
10/13/2008, 07:31 PM
More on the same company here. (http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2008/may/12/dallas-area-towing-service-ripping-people-43-time/)

colleyvillesooner
10/13/2008, 08:06 PM
i just parked in the hood and got blocked in

i didn't even think about people staying after the game to be at the fair, etc...

it took me like 3 hours to get back to Lewisville after the game

Saturday sucked monkey balls

:succs:

How late did you stay? We left about 2 hrs. after the game and made it back to Addison in about 30 mins. Remind me to tell you where we park and how to leave next year. ;)

UTsucks
10/13/2008, 08:49 PM

We do also south side along the fence. Great time every year. Tailgate before and after the game with the OU tent up. I live in Dallas and would never park outside the fair grounds. :pop:

StoopTroup
10/14/2008, 08:23 AM
I used to use a rental car with a stolen credit card and just park it right outside on the street.

I think they were looking for me this year.

yermom
10/14/2008, 08:37 AM
How late did you stay? We left about 2 hrs. after the game and made it back to Addison in about 30 mins. Remind me to tell you where we park and how to leave next year. ;)

i hung around a little after the game, but i didn't hang out at the fair at all. i was running hella late when i got there, so i didn't park where i wanted

soonerx
10/14/2008, 08:39 AM
What's the statute of limitations on towing companies because I know alot of people who would like to throw some bricks in the window of L&A towing in Norman from their antics in the early 90's. Their tow trucks just trolled through campus waiting for the call.

I'm one of them. Those sorry bastards wrongfully towed my car from Couch dorm back in '96. I think they had a racket going with the parking office and/or campus PD.

Aggie
10/14/2008, 08:32 PM
if you had your car towed from the Texas-OU game check out this thread and PLEASE respond to the appropriate people. I live in Dallas and this is a tow truck company is just a bunch of crooks who have been getting away with this crap for far too long! If nothing is done, I promise you guys will have to deal with them as long as the game is in the Cotton Bowl.
http://texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=1270720&forum_id=5

sooner59
10/14/2008, 10:12 PM
If this company doesn't go down, I will lose faith in humanity.

SeattleOUstudent
10/15/2008, 12:32 AM
wow. Someone needs to roll around with a news camera and catch these mo-fo's in action at the Cotton Bowl in January.