PDA

View Full Version : Last years National Champ lost 2 games.....

Soonermagik
10/13/2008, 08:28 AM
LSU lost 2 games last year and still won the title. Also, I remember 2 years ago we needed Texas to lose 2 games to go to the big 12 and they fell apart towards the end.

Just remember, there is still a lot of football to be played. ;)

Aries
10/13/2008, 10:59 AM
Plus, our toughest conference games are at home, and Texas toughest conference games are on the road.

Except for their next one against Missouri, who I am hoping goes to Austin totally pissed off.

A-M
10/13/2008, 11:14 AM
Plus, our toughest conference games are at home, and Texas toughest conference games are on the road.

Except for their next one against Missouri, who I am hoping goes to Austin totally pissed off.

I don't like Missouri, but I sure would like to see them beat Texas next week!

JLEW1818
10/13/2008, 11:18 AM
Now that it has been a couple of days, I start to really think of what needs to happen. Lets take it one conference at a time.

Big 12.

Obviously we need to win out. That is step one. Assuming it comes down to us and Texas, which possible scenario would be best fitting for us?

Scenario A
Texas beating Missouri this weekend, then losing a game (Tech maybe), and finish the regular season with 1 loss. Assuming Missouri will lose to Texas, they too win out the rest of their games. So at this point the big 12 championship game would have a 1 loss Texas and a 2 loss Missouri. Obviously we would be pulling for Missouri to win, and if we only have 1 loss we have a great chance to be ranked top 2 at season end.

Scenario B

Other possible scenario. Again we have to win out. We also would want Texas to lose 2 games (Missouri, Tech), and have us in the big 12 ship and beat Missouri, and that would probably put us in the National Championship.

And don't forget there could end up being a 4 way tie in the south, it could happen. Somebody find that rules for that please?

Now there is that Penn State team, we obviously want them to lose a game. When is the last time Penn State went undefeated? okay. I see them losing a game, its just how college football is.

Then you got the SEC. Again we need Alabama to lose a game this year. Hopefully a non ranked team can take care of them, and maybe they lose to LSU. Next we want Georgia to beat Florida. LSU to beat Georgia. And if 1 loss LSU goes into the SEC championship game against a 2 loss Florida/ Georgia, we would obviously want a team from the East to win.
So at the end of the regular season/sec championship game, each SEC team will have 2 losses.

Now we have USC and Ohio State, if we win out we will be ranked ahead of both of them at season end. Our strength of schedule will dominate theirs.

In the end we just have to hope and win, upsets are going to happen people we all know that.

Let me know what you think...?

Soonermagik
10/13/2008, 11:33 AM
Now that it has been a couple of days, I start to really think of what needs to happen. Lets take it one conference at a time.

Big 12.

Obviously we need to win out. That is step one. Assuming it comes down to us and Texas, which possible scenario would be best fitting for us?

Scenario A
Texas beating Missouri this weekend, then losing a game (Tech maybe), and finish the regular season with 1 loss. Assuming Missouri will lose to Texas, they too win out the rest of their games. So at this point the big 12 championship game would have a 1 loss Texas and a 2 loss Missouri. Obviously we would be pulling for Missouri to win, and if we only have 1 loss we have a great chance to be ranked top 2 at season end.

Scenario B

Other possible scenario. Again we have to win out. We also would want Texas to lose 2 games (Missouri, Tech), and have us in the big 12 ship and beat Missouri, and that would probably put us in the National Championship.

And don't forget there could end up being a 4 way tie in the south, it could happen. Somebody find that rules for that please?

Now there is that Penn State team, we obviously want them to lose a game. When is the last time Penn State went undefeated? okay. I see them losing a game, its just how college football is.

Then you got the SEC. Again we need Alabama to lose a game this year. Hopefully a non ranked team can take care of them, and maybe they lose to LSU. Next we want Georgia to beat Florida. LSU to beat Georgia. And if 1 loss LSU goes into the SEC championship game against a 2 loss Florida/ Georgia, we would obviously want a team from the East to win.
So at the end of the regular season/sec championship game, each SEC team will have 2 losses.

Now we have USC and Ohio State, if we win out we will be ranked ahead of both of them at season end. Our strength of schedule will dominate theirs.

In the end we just have to hope and win, upsets are going to happen people we all know that.

Let me know what you think...?

Good summary of what could happen. I can remember when LSU lost to Kentucky and everyone said they had no shot to win the national title.

Obviously, we would like for Texas to drop 2 games, but even if that doesn't happen we could still end up facing them. This is going to be a weird season!!

JLEW1818
10/13/2008, 11:36 AM
At season end there is going to be some BCS controversy like never seen before, I'm just feeling it.

A Horn
10/13/2008, 11:41 AM
This thread is a nice contrast to most of the board.

Glad some of yall are keeping the faith. That game goes either way if played again.

Yall are still #4, which is a huge sign of respect towards yall and bodes well for computer numbers

JLEW1818
10/13/2008, 11:43 AM
Just let it breathe Horn, we might meet again.

IowaSooner26
10/13/2008, 11:43 AM
Scenario A

Scenario B

With scenario A you could possibly be looking at a 3 way tie between ou, tech, and texass in which case it would probably come down to who is ranked highest in the polls. Since we lost early and they would lose late it may put us in the title game even with texass only losing one.

Scenario B would probably be the easy way. And don't forget that they also play orange aggie and the last couple years they have blown a lead in that game.

JLEW1818
10/13/2008, 11:44 AM
Don't forget they go to Kansas also.

OklahomaTuba
10/13/2008, 12:18 PM
Its over folks, Bama already painted 2008 on the back of their scoreboard.