PDA

View Full Version : The fake punt was a perfect call

Blitzkrieg
10/13/2008, 06:39 AM
Had Gresham made his block instead or turning around and actually getting in knalls way, that not only gets the first down, it goes for 15 yards.

Perfect call, poor execution by one player.

Theskipster
10/13/2008, 07:14 AM
Had Gresham made his block instead or turning around and actually getting in knalls way, that not only gets the first down, it goes for 15 yards.

Perfect call, poor execution by one player.

To me it looked like Proctor missed his block and that caused Gresham to try and block two guys.

And I agree with you. Perfect call, bad execution. Had Proctor not tripped that was an easy 1st down.

VA Sooner
10/13/2008, 07:29 AM
Almost had it... just another foot and we would all be celebrating the genius of Bob Stoops.

Should have gone for it on the next fourth and two... higher percentage yield play with a shovel pass or quick tight end throw. At that point, we needed a momentum changer more so than on 4th and 8.

Boomer.....
10/13/2008, 07:36 AM
I liked it also. Even though it didn't work it showed me that Stoops still has "it" in him. I couldn't tell you the last time that Bobby tried a fake punt.

The Maestro
10/13/2008, 08:00 AM
To me it looked like Proctor missed his block and that caused Gresham to try and block two guys.

And I agree with you. Perfect call, bad execution. Had Proctor not tripped that was an easy 1st down.

Nope. Blitz is right. Gresham is turning around looking at Knall and the guy he should have blocked made the tackle a foot short of the first down marker.

tbl
10/13/2008, 08:05 AM
It was a great call, regardless of the outcome.

Soonermagik
10/13/2008, 08:26 AM
I loved the call, but there were a few missed blocks. Even at that, he only came up a yard short.

LesNessman
10/13/2008, 08:32 AM
Almost had it... just another foot and we would all be celebrating the genius of Bob Stoops.

Should have gone for it on the next fourth and two... higher percentage yield play with a shovel pass or quick tight end throw. At that point, we needed a momentum changer more so than on 4th and 8.

AMEN, AMEN, AMEN.

Couldn't have said it better!

OUmillenium
10/13/2008, 08:41 AM
Yes on the the fake and yes on should have gone for it on 4th and 2. Players gotta make plays and coaches gotta put em in the best position to win. We did most of the day but not enough.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/13/2008, 08:44 AM
Nope. Blitz is right. Gresham is turning around looking at Knall and the guy he should have blocked made the tackle a foot short of the first down marker.

See him block on a regular run play....its the same thing...

Starting to understand why Wilson doesn't run to the outside

StoopTroup
10/13/2008, 08:46 AM
I would have liked to have seen Bob go for that last 4th and 2 as well.

We'll never know what might have been...

I'm not going to bag on the refs...I do think the rule where you can't even touch someone going down the sideline gets you a 15 yards penalty affects the game in a negative way.

Horse collars and clips...I get.

Driving a guy into the bench or stadium wall a yard out of bounds...I get that too.

What I saw Saturday...I accept.

I just don't like it.

rainiersooner
10/13/2008, 10:20 AM
I liked it also. Even though it didn't work it showed me that Stoops still has "it" in him. I couldn't tell you the last time that Bobby tried a fake punt.

Wasn't it the Fiesta Bowl last year? I love it when he calls 'em...sometimes they go your way (Alabama, Missouri in '02) sometimes they don't (recently). I agree with you though - I'd rather have a coach with the confidence to try than not.

HappyClappyMackBrown
10/13/2008, 10:35 AM
No, it was not a perfect call. Taking the slowest guy and the field and expecting him to run a half a mile for a first down is not ideal,im not against a fake punt there....but the play they called was wrong. Should have been a pass or a short snap to one of the up men.

sooner518
10/13/2008, 10:42 AM
See him block on a regular run play....its the same thing...

Starting to understand why Wilson doesn't run to the outside

unfortunately this is the case. they had a slow-mo replay of Gresham completely whiffing on a block (it looked like maybe he thought it was a pass play or something, I dunno!) sometime in the 3rd quarter where Sam got sacked. It was very very bad

Blitzkrieg
10/13/2008, 10:45 AM
I have noticed that Murray is a very good blocker and stones his man every time. Gresham is alread thinking about those NFL $$$$$$.

St. Louis Sooner
10/13/2008, 11:10 AM
it was a good call, but since we didn't make it, it made the opposition think "gee lookee there, bob is getting desperate"; from the ABC camera angle at the time, i'm surprised he made it as far as he did;

if we'd made it, we would have had some serious momentum to go score;

geez, a lot of little things just didn't go our way, but man ... we have nothing to hang our heads about;

boomermagic
10/13/2008, 01:39 PM
I would have liked to have seen Bob go for that last 4th and 2 as well.

We'll never know what might have been...

I'm not going to bag on the refs...I do think the rule where you can't even touch someone going down the sideline gets you a 15 yards penalty affects the game in a negative way.

Horse collars and clips...I get.

Driving a guy into the bench or stadium wall a yard out of bounds...I get that too.

What I saw Saturday...I accept.

I just don't like it.

Agreed !

ashley
10/13/2008, 04:05 PM
I am a hugh fan of the coaching staff but any play where the punter has to make a run of 22 yds just to make a firstdown is an awfully big stretch. The D has so much time to adjust in the 15 yards untill he even gets to the LOS.

stoopified
10/13/2008, 04:12 PM
Should have gone for it on the next fourth and two... higher percentage yield play with a shovel pass or quick tight end throw. At that point, we needed a momentum changer more so than on 4th and 8.Yeah and Bob admitted as much on his playback show.

lloyd45
10/13/2008, 04:15 PM
A poorly executed great call.

poke4christ
10/13/2008, 04:16 PM
I totally agree. This was old-school stoops all the way. It's just that you can't get every big gamble. Stoops always tends to know exactly when to do things like this and this WAS one of those times. It just didn't work out (barely). Mad props for the call though.

However, Matt Fodge was abosolutly moronic to try to run it on 4th and 17th from our own 20. He had room to run, but you just don't even try it in that situation. He made up for it though with a solid punt at the end of the game to seal the win.

If you don't know, Fodge has (or possibly had) permision from gundy to run with it at his own descression when he sees the proper setup for it from the defense.

TMcGee86
10/13/2008, 04:39 PM
The Fiesta Bowl was an onside kick.

However it too was a good call that was poorly executed. We completely had them off guard, all he had to do was get the ball past the 10 yard mark and then fall on it.

He didn't and it went downhill from there. If we get that and score, who knows, maybe WV doesn't get the momentum back and we win big.

Same thing here.

Blitzkrieg
10/13/2008, 07:16 PM
Poke4allah, your punter might be the dumbest person in the world. No, that title would be for the coach that would tell him to run it anytime.