PDA

View Full Version : Looking back...

OU_Sooners75
10/13/2008, 04:03 AM
After this post I am moving on..to Kansas!

After looking back, these are the things that killed us against Texass...and no, it was not the refs...

1. Our No huddle offense drained the energy of our defense late into the game. The defense started tiring before Reynolds' injury. Since we seem to either strike fast or go 3 and out, our offense made it where our Defense was on the field for almost an entire quarter more than Texas' defense. How many drives have we had that were time consuming drives this year, not just against Texas? This is a major draw back of having a quick strike offense. Ask Texas Tech and Mike Leach.

2. Our running game is pathetic! We have 3 very good RBs that can start for any team in the nation, but we choose to continually play finess when the time calls for power. This falls on the fact that our Oline does not know how to run block! They are massive, yet their first step off the ball is extremely slow when run blocking. They are great pass blockers, and a couple or few will make the NFL. But in our system, they very average. We need to go a little smaller and athletic with OLine if we wish to have a more balanced attack, with this offense (which I love watching), against good teams.

3. Our inability to adjust on the fly. And this is a coaching problem. Maybe it is Stoops? Maybe it is the loyalty he has with his coaches. Maybe Stoops needs to adjust himself and take a more hands on approach? I don't know, but something needs to change or we will be the next Michigan! Always in contention, but rarely winning National Championships! OU does not have the most NCs since WWII for nothing. Because our program has not been stagnant. And has always been able to adjust to the times and in games.

Either way, I am not degrading our team or our coaching staff. All I am doing is letting all know what my observations were from Yesterday's game.

BOOMER SOONER AND BEAT THE FIGHTING MANGINOS!

adoniijahsooner
10/13/2008, 05:05 AM
I agree with most of your opinions; but I dont think any of this will be fixed until the spring.

OU_Sooners75
10/13/2008, 05:42 AM
I agree with most of your opinions; but I dont think any of this will be fixed until the spring.

I am starting to allow the doubts get into my head.

With that said...I doubt it gets fixed until Stoops retires or leaves.

I love Bob Stoops as a coach, but he is wayyyyyy to loyal to his coaches!

Johnny Utah
10/13/2008, 08:54 AM
I am starting to allow the doubts get into my head.

With that said...I doubt it gets fixed until Stoops retires or leaves.

I love Bob Stoops as a coach, but he is wayyyyyy to loyal to his coaches!

I like all of your points and, IMHO, they all go together. I like the no-huddle but with no run game too much pressure gets put on a defense that can't/won't make adjustments during the game.

St. Louis Sooner
10/13/2008, 09:14 AM
adding to '75': it seems uterus was just a little better than us Oct. 11 in areas where it mattered most;
1) injuries
2) officiating
3) special teams
4) uterus's D played smarter
5) strength in the fourth quarter
6) sam played very, very well; cm played on another planet;

It's interesting how many media experts "loved the way texas got stronger as the game wore on" ... and I say bulls--- to that; what really happened is that we got weaker due to RR going out and our D getting winded;

OU really has NO reason to hang their heads; we played well, and we've hardly dropped in the polls; with a little help, we still have control over how high we finish the season;

i hope we can replace (or work around) RR's absence; and I seriously HOPE AND PRAY we get crazy/banzai/kamikaze dudes installed on kickoff return coverage ... at least ones that aren't our starting running backs;

A-M
10/13/2008, 09:20 AM
First of all, I did not watch the last quarter. And only off and on during the 3rd. quarter. But having said that, my view is this.
During the first half, we had them stopped on 2 different drives before they every had a first down and gave them the first downs on being offside. In fact, on one occfasion we were offside 2 times in a row to give them their first down and then they went on to score on both drives with a field goal and a touchdown.
Secondly, we did not us the no huddle hurry up offense as it is designed much of the time. When we would line up and snap a play quickly, we went down the field and scored. Then on the next drive, we would line up, look over to the side 2 or 3 times and take all but 2 or 3 seconds of our time and then we would snap the ball. It seemed everytime we did this, we went 3 and out. If we are going to go the the no huddle, we must do it fast or we give the other team a chanse to adjust to us.
Of course, we must learn how to stop the touchdowns on kickoffs and how to run the ball. Until we can run the ball, we are not going to be able to beat a really good team and we have a few of them still coming up this year.
I love my OU football, but we still have a lot of work to do this year.

BoulderSooner79
10/13/2008, 10:22 AM
I have to disagree that the no huddle and quick strike offense hurts us. The worst a team can do to us is strike back and even things up after we strike (a TD at least). It's the 3 and outs that kill us. I guess I'd rephrase 1) as play calling and lack of ball control. Ball control can come from either ground or air, but it means moving the sticks more consistantly. Texas ball control mostly came via the short pass up the middle. The long run at the end was bound to happen as our D got tired and had to take risks to get the ball, but it was the short pass that really killed us.